• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Zeliard said:
*snip*

Certainly a major leap over Bethesda's stuff.

I don't really agree with lifeless or whatever. I enjoy the game's script for the most part. Yes, I can skip shit, but why would I do that if it's the first time I hear it?

I think Leiliana has a lisp or something. She sounds slightly off, but still good.

A freshly laid pile of dogshit is better than Bethesda's stuff. I just can not get into their games. Lifeless describes their writing perfectly.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Number 2 said:
Whats wrong with the dialogue on the top?

It's just wrong dude .. it cuts into your character's heads during cutscenes and conversations which is a lo more distracting them them cutting into the bottom part of the screen.

Jayge

Doytch said:
No one could've read that as sarcasm, especially after people just bitched about the score. I love the pot-kettle bit about calling someone a douche after just commenting on someone having a yeast infection (even in sarcasm), though.

This is a pure preference, but if they were gonna not voice the main, I'd've preferred they didn't voice anything and just had the dialogue system used in Storm of Zehir. Seriously, the only VAs I've liked are Alistair and Duncan.
I am a douche. I acknowledge this. The whole pot-kettle thing would apply if I was being a hypocrite about it, which I'm not. *You* not being able to read it as sarcasm does not mean *nobody* could have read that as sarcasm, although like I said, it's pretty understated, my bad. Regardless, making excuses instead of just admitting you were wrong is pretty pathetic. Whatever. I think I'll go try and tackle the end of Warden's Keep again.

epmode

chandoog said:
It's just wrong dude .. it cuts into your character's heads during cutscenes and conversations which is a lo more distracting them them cutting into the bottom part of the screen.
Doesn't happen with 16:10 screens. The conversations are letterboxed to 16:9 and the dialogue appears in the normally empty space on top.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
chandoog said:

360 version?

epmode said:
Doesn't happen with 16:10 screens. The conversations are letterboxed to 16:9 and the dialogue appears in the normally empty space on top.

Ah thats why i havent seen anything like that. That sucks.. ill have to test out different resolutions and see the difference.

Zeliard

Doytch said:
This is a pure preference, but if they were gonna not voice the main, I'd've preferred they didn't voice anything and just had the dialogue system used in Storm of Zehir. Seriously, the only VAs I've liked are Alistair and Duncan.

I think they mostly all sound pretty great. I remember a fairly minor character in the mage origin being poorly voiced, and the fact that he actually stood out as such is pretty telling.

Not a Shale fan?

Kintaro said:
I don't really agree with lifeless or whatever. I enjoy the game's script for the most part. Yes, I can skip shit, but why would I do that if it's the first time I hear it?

I think Leiliana has a lisp or something. She sounds slightly off, but still good.

I think it's just an odd accent (sounds like a mix of French and something else), and it's not bad VA, but it sounds a little strange (especially when most, though not all, characters speak in a British accent).

Kintaro said:
A freshly laid pile of dogshit is better than Bethesda's stuff. I just can not get into their games. Lifeless describes their writing perfectly.

Pretty much. :p

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Himuro said:
I don't like subtitles on the top because it's completely distracting. With them on the bottom, you can see both the subtitles and the action, but at the top, not so much.

Well it doesnt bother me.. but i agree there should be at least the option to change it. i wouldnt think it would be horribly difficult to implement.

Doytch

Zeliard said:
I think they mostly all sound pretty great. I remember a fairly minor character in the mage origin being poorly voiced, and the fact that he actually stood out as such is pretty telling.

Not a Shale fan?
I actually haven't gotten him yet. Got distracted in Denerim.

Jayge

Himuro said:
I don't like subtitles on the top because it's completely distracting. With them on the bottom, you can see both the subtitles and the action, but at the top, not so much.
My problem with subtitles is that I always end up reading them regardless of whether or not I need them. With the subtitles in DAO being on top, I can barely pay attention to the characters themselves unless I force myself to (which I'm getting better at). It's not a problem in any other game in existence because nobody cares how characters are animated (or, more often, not animated) in most of them but this game's emotive animations are actually pretty good, so I'm trying my hardest to be attentive.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well I'm 20 hours in now at lvl 10 and I just reached 20% completion. This game is epic.

I must say that the Blood Dragon Armor is a bit overpowered. It is leaps and bounds better than anything else I have available to me at the moment. The other pieces of the set don't seem very good, though and unless the set bonus is something great I don't think I will be using them.

I also just finished the Shale quest and I really love the character. I then spent about an hour in camp just adjusting gear and raising approval ratings with my party. I even had sex with the bisexual elf just to get the achievement. Thank god I have a good persuasion skill so I can convince everyone else that nothing happened.

Next I'm going to go do the Warden's Keep quest before returning to the main storyline. Currently my party consists of my human noble warrior, Alistair, Morrigan and Wynne. Having two magi with different spell sets is extremely useful. I'm thinking about switching Alistair out with Shale, but I don't want to miss any of the banter that goes on between him and Morrigan.

Has anyone found any really worthwhile loot in the treasure chests? The only thing I have found that has been useful was a certain unique gift item in the circle of magi.

epmode

Number 2 said:
Well it doesnt bother me.. but i agree there should be at least the option to change it. i wouldnt think it would be horribly difficult to implement.
Sorry, Dragon Age isn't balanced for bottom-of-screen subtitles.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Question.. how many hours do you think VO pads to the game? im thinking at least 10 hours if you just sit back and listen to everything.

Jayge

Number 2 said:
Question.. how many hours do you think VO pads to the game? im thinking at least 10 hours if you just sit back and listen to everything.
I know I spent nearly 30 minutes alone on that barkeep in Lothering asking him about rumors. Once he runs out the first time, if you exit the conversation and talk to him again, he gets a whole new batch. It definitely consumes massive amounts of time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Doytch said:

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. So far I've really enjoyed the voice acting in this game and have actually listened to most of the lines even though I have subtitles enabled and could easily skip past a lot of it.

painey

Kintaro said:

Leiliana is Orlesian, but moved when she was young, so she speaks English with a french accent.. and yes, a mute character is pretty jarring especially after playing Mass Effect.

In game.. I am in Redcliffe and just
beat back the zombies, and now the guy has gone to the castle..
must I do that quest now, or can I go walkabout on the world map? Obviously I dont want to lose that quest but I still want to explore the world right now.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hey I am playing the game on a 360 and loving it. Yes I know the benefits of playing on a PC (I can't fathom playing Diablo 2 on a console) and this type of game definitely works better on PC than console, but I must say that they did a good job with the port, excellent I would say. I have no qualms with it since they adapted the game quite good to the different interface.

I purchased the game on 360 for 2 reasons
1) GPU Sucks
2) I am usually in Party Chats. I prefer to play these games alone but sometimes you just gotta be social and since most of my friends are on 360 I go there for social stuff. The PC can't really offer this,. and things like ventrillo and Skype are a bit too complicated sometimes.

I bought DA on 360 and I couldn't be happier. Already clocked about 11 hours, seems like I will soon fight my first dragon in the Urn quest... quite excited :D

6/10 is a score too low, I would give it an 8/10 simply because there's definitely some graphical downgrade (720P and 30FPS, lower rest textures) and yes, the game is meant for PC... but it works!. The sound criticism was plain bitching though.

Zeliard

Doytch said:
I actually haven't gotten him yet. Got distracted in Denerim.

Shale's great. Love his sense of humor. He kinda reminds me of HK-47 from KOTOR (probably intentionally) with his general disregard for humanity and amusingly cynical attitude, though he doesn't seem nearly as arrogant as the bot and has more of a melancholy vibe to him. Still haven't spoken to him that much yet, though.

Can't believe he was almost left out of the game.

Zefah said:
I'm thinking about switching Alistair out with Shale, but I don't want to miss any of the banter that goes on between him and Morrigan.

This is becoming a bigger problem for me as I progress further through the game, especially with Morrigan. Having two mages is nice, but I should probably switch her out at this stage since she's kind of redundant in combat - my player character is also a shapeshifter and we're both a while from level 14. But I also don't want to miss the stuff between her and Alistair. And Shale isn't going anywhere for a while.

Argh, tough decisions.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am thinking of just doing away with my rogue and but Alistair back just to have Morrigan, Alistair and Shale :lol

Garryk

Can you loot keys in this game? I have run into some locked stuff that says it requires a key (even on a Rogue), but I have yet to come across any.

For example:

There's a metal door that requires a key in the basement of Redcliffe Castle. It looks like there are several rooms behind it on the map. Do you come back to this area later? I took the option to go get help from the Circle instead of killing the boy.

LowParry

Uh. So I saved some werewolves. Should of fucking killed them or whatever. I get all but a thanks! Psh. Greedy bastards.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
painey said:
must I do that quest now, or can I go walkabout on the world map? Obviously I dont want to lose that quest but I still want to explore the world right now.

I guess I'm in the same boat. I did the castle quest and currently in the middle of it getting my ass KICKED. :lol

painey said:

As far as I can tell from my own game there aren't really hard time limits anywhere. You can do whatever you want at any time and pick up the main quest wherever you left off, even if it seems time sensitive, it really isn't.

Zeliard

Damn, everyone always talks about Redcliffe and I still haven't been there (doing side quests and toiling around the world map a bit first). Some interesting stuff happen there? :p

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Got my Dwarf Warrior a true beserker helmit.
x36dc9.jpg

Oh and yes I've yet to find some sodding better chest armour for my Dwarf, being a commoner and all.

Morrigan is a pain in the ass. If it wasn't for her mind blast AoE stun, I'd replace her with somebody else.

On the other hand, Leiliana's bard + rogue skills are coming in handy. I have a rogue spec'd for fighting and it's nice to be able to juggle backstabs.

I actually really like Leilana's voice. When I first heard her talking it sounded kind of odd, but as the conversation continued it grew on me. Haven't really heard any bad voice acting yet, just that silly scottish dwarf, which wasn't bad per se, just reaaaally cliche.

iam220

I don't know if this game is as good as BG2 was when it came out, but I do know that I haven't been this into an rpg since BG2. I unintentionally stayed up until 4:30 in the morning playing this game. Now on my third cup of coffee reading DA related stuff and just counting down the minutes until I get off work.

Elven forest spoilers:

Any one tried disturbing that tombstone that's not far from the great oak? You end up facing some skeletons and a skeleton mage. That shits impossible with my current level (7-8). I must of spent an hour trying different things to beat it. Even dropping the difficulty down to easy. I got my ass handed to me every time and I eventually gave up. Did any one have better luck there?

Really suprised at just how well this game scales to my laptop - I was worried about how it would perform as my processor barely meets the minimum specs and when I ran the configuration utillity it set the graphic detail to low with no AA, but thankfully turning up the detail to very high with 4x AA doesn't seem to have hampered the performance too badly at all and the game is looking great. Just played through the mage origin and i'm loving it so far, can't wait to put some serious hours into this beast.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Jayge said:
It's supposedly impossible to muster enough experience to get past like level 26 or something.
You know what i find funny? That +1% xp preorder bonus probably wont even give you an extra level in the end :lol

iam220

dollartaco said:
Morrigan is a pain in the ass. If it wasn't for her mind blast AoE stun, I'd replace her with somebody else.

Yeah thats a very useful spell. Too bad it regenerates so slowly. I usually only get to use it once in an encounter :(

Zeliard

Too bad the Blood Dragon Armor seems overpowered. It certainly looks like it should be powerful, but its strength requirement isn't so high that it's impossible to wear it fairly early on in the game. Should've had a higher STR req, probably.

g0atcheese

Neo Member
Zeliard said:
Damn, everyone always talks about Redcliffe and I still haven't been there (doing side quests and toiling around the world map a bit first). Some interesting stuff happen there? :p

Defending Redcliff against hordes of the undead
was one of the funnest experiences I've had in recent gaming.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Himuro said:
I'm glad. Why would I want to auto-patch my game to make the game easier?
Well you dont have to run the Autopatcher. It just patches the game automatically if you do run it.

edit: talking about NWNs autopatching utility

Himuro said:
I'm glad. Why would I want to auto-patch my game to make the game easier?

I think you could select a separate program on NWN1 which patched the game for you. You could play it without patching though.

Edit: Like Number 2 said.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Zeliard said:
There is if you didn't run off or kill the vendor.

Crap, Tavern you say Already been there but I shall take a second look.

Just finished, great game. typical bioware title though in that there's far too much combat.

Also my char was such a fucking PIMP

nailed morrigan, leli AND married the queen. fucking hilarious juggling the 3.

EviLore said:
I think it's the writing, but I'm finding it difficult to invest myself in Dragon Age. Alistair's great, but beyond that there's so much generic fantasy drivel that's just taking up space and making things a chore to get through.

It's a bioware title, their writing always played second fiddle to black isle.

hyduK

Banned
Just got to Denerim, pretty cool so far. Gotta clear out a
whore house
. Current party consists of Me (Berserker), Alistair (tank), Zevran (rogue), Wyrnee (healer). Anyone have experience with a similar party but swapping Zevran out for Morrigan? I originally put him in so that he could unlock chests and stuff for me, but his skills barely high enough to unlock half the shit anyway and Morrigan seems a lot more useful in combat..

I'm totally gunna rail that girl whose brother I saved in Redcliffe...if I find her

Top Bottom