• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Zzoram

peterb0y said:
can someone definitively give me an answer about the difficulty of this game? The only way I purchase this if "easy" is actually "easy"- So far everything points to no, game looks too fucking hard

They just patched the PC version to make Easy a bit easier. The console versions are apparently easier than the PC version as well. I know what you mean, I'm doing ok on Normal but I'm considering dropping to Easy so I can just experience the story and dialogue with less hassle. On Normal (PC), every couple of fights I have to redo because I get sloppy. Save after every fight if you don't want to risk losing progress. It autosaves before bosses but not after every fight.

Zeliard

bengraven said:
Instead of [Persuasion] or [Cunning], it says [Premium Content] in the dialogue tree.

Seriously.

Oh jeez. :lol

Yeah, that's fairly lame. I don't really like it in the journal either. I obviously appreciate that they separate the DLC quests from the other ones, but did they really have to stick them under the label "Premium Content" (which uses that same sort of classical font and design as the rest)?

Zzoram

Number 2 said:
Thanks :lol i had to turn off the persistent blood though because i would kill 2 rats and end up looking like i was slaughtering Bajorans all day for Gul Darhe'el. :lol

The blood is ridiculous! It's pretty messed up how everyone will talk casually while they are splattered in blood.

Zeliard

Wtf.

I'm listening to the latest PC Gamer US podcast and they're talking about Dragon Age, and one of the guys said that you can order your dog to lick the blood off your armor and such if you don't want to be all splattered in blood after a battle. First time I've heard of that. :lol

Dennis

Banned
Zeliard said:
Wtf.

I'm listening to the latest PC Gamer US podcast and they're talking about Dragon Age, and one of the guys said that you can order your dog to lick the blood off your armor and such if you don't want to be all splattered in blood after a battle. First time I've heard of that. :lol
Hot

Nif

Zeliard said:
Wtf.

You just turn it off in the options. :lol

sendu

Neo Member
Zeliard said:
Yeah, that's fairly lame. I don't really like it in the journal either. I obviously appreciate that they separate the DLC quests from the other ones, but did they really have to stick them under the label "Premium Content" (which uses that same sort of classical font and design as the rest)?

What should they do instead? Hide it, as if they were ashamed of it? If I just paid for something I'd want it to be really obvious how to access it.

And if I didn't want to pay for something, I'd also want it to be immediately obvious that a certain quest isn't for me, so I didn't waste time with that NPC.

And if I did want to get some DLC, having an NPC there with a clear option that is otherwise well integrated into the game would be wonderful.

Zzoram

Zefah said:
I can confirm this. I played offline for the first 15 hours or so and never encountered the DLC quest merchant dude. As soon as I registered my CD keys and logged in he popped up in my camp, though. I still don't like how they have advertisements in the game, but oh well.

One thing that kind of annoyed me is that I found the guy in my camp, he told me about Warden's Keep and I agreed to help him out, but a few hours later I decide to go do the Stone Prisoner content and I run into the guy again and he introduced himself as if we had never met.

I think NPCs advertising DLC is a great idea. It fits within the context of the game.

That sucks, but it's not too bad.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
sendu said:
What should they do instead? Hide it, as if they were ashamed of it? If I just paid for something I'd want it to be really obvious how to access it.

How about put it in the main menu?

Zeliard

sendu said:

And if I didn't want to pay for something, I'd also want it to be immediately obvious that a certain quest isn't for me, so I didn't waste time with that NPC.

And if I did want to get some DLC, having an NPC there with a clear option that is otherwise well integrated into the game would be wonderful.

It breaks the immersion. It's talking about "downloadable content" in a world featuring elves and dwarves. My main issue with it is the wording. The demarcation between DLC content and regular stuff is fine, but they could have worded it in a way that doesn't hurt the sense of place the game so otherwise effectively achieves.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Zzoram said:
The blood is ridiculous! It's pretty messed up how everyone will talk casually while they are splattered in blood.

I love the blood splatter personally. I hope a mod comes out that just removes it from your face during cutscenes. I mean, shit, after some of these missions and quests, why wouldn't your armor be caked with blood? Most would just wipe it off their face or eyes and keep moving. I don't think they would whip out the brush and scrub it off after every battle.

sendu

Neo Member
Number 2 said:
How about put it in the main menu?

What good does it do you there? We're talking about a quest description here. Are you suggesting people save, exit the game to the main menu, go into the DLC menu and read, every single time they want a reminder about or update on the progress of their quest? Ludicrous.

LCfiner

I disabled persistent gore after a couple hours. it really is silly. it detracts from any attempt at emotional resonance they might be going for in the cutscene.

Oh, and one more swipe at the mute main character and how it weakens the game. it's not just that he/she doesn't talk. it's that the facial expression NEVER, EVER changes. all your party members will smile or sneer or look bored or excited at various times. but you, the main guy? nothing.

blank stare into space. no expression. you look like a fucking doll.

THAT's what gets me. If they could at least change the facial expression based on your dialog option you choose. That would help the immersion so much for me.

as it is now, I can't help but hink my character is some kind of idiot savant type. I'm worse than The Tranquil Mages.

worst example I've seen so far. In Lothering. I'm in the chantry and I just finish a quest and, as a reward, I ask (weak spoiler)
for a kiss. NPC leans in and my glassy eyed stare never changes as she pecks me on the cheek.
I know the scene was supposed to be awkward but this was much worse than what they must've intended. at least have my character close his eyes and put on a douchey grin or something.

more than anything else, that's what Mass Effect does so much better than this game. Shephard is a person, not a mannequin.

Zeliard

Kintaro said:
I love the blood splatter personally. I hope a mod comes out that just removes it from your face during cutscenes. I mean, shit, after some of these missions and quests, why wouldn't your armor be caked with blood? Most would just wipe it off their face or eyes and keep moving. I don't think they would whip out the brush and scrub it off after every battle.

Yeah, it's mostly the blood on the face that bugs me. It's especially silly when it ends up all over their lips and they talk as if everything is normal. :lol

Zzoram

Nif said:
For some reason, after playing for too long, the game will start to take much much longer to load than usual (15-20 seconds). If I restart the game, the same areas will load in a 3-5 seconds.

Possible memory leak?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
sendu said:
What good does it do you there? We're talking about a quest description here. Are you suggesting people save, exit the game to the main menu, go into the DLC menu and read, every single time they want a reminder about or update on the progress of their quest? Ludicrous.

Then you take the quest description and put it in like a real quest if you bought it from the main menu? Make the category its under The Warden's Keep and make no reference to Premium Content.

Zzoram

Tenks said:
That's kind of lame that the PC version of normal became easier. I honestly thought the difficulty was just right. It made you act strategically instead of just bum rushing. Kind of sad to hear about this.

You still can't bum rush in Normal. At least not any any of the larger fights or bosses.

Kintaro

Zeliard said:
Yeah, it's mostly the blood on the face that bugs me. It's especially silly when it ends up all over their lips and they talk as if everything is normal. :lol

Yeah, and even that doesn't bother me too much.

Zeliard

LCfiner said:
I disabled persistent gore after a couple hours. it really is silly. it detracts from any attempt at emotional resonance they might be going for in the cutscene.

Oh, and one more swipe at the mute main character and how it weakens the game. it's not just that he/she doesn't talk. it's that the facial expression NEVER, EVER changes. all your party members will smile or sneer or look bored or excited at various times. but you, the main guy? nothing.

THAT's what gets me. If they could at least change the facial expression based on your dialog option you choose. That would help the immersion so much for me.

as it is now, I can't help but hink my character is some kind of idiot savant type. I'm worse than The Tranquil Mages.

I agree, why does the guy basically never open his mouth? Always the same close-mouthed stare, which is completely nonsensical since the facial animation in the game literally has an emotional range. You can even see it on your own character during the portrait stuff in the creator, and you can end up giving him some fun smarmy sneer there that you'll never see in the game itself.

I don't mind the muteness, though - that's tradition and allows for a lot more dialogue options. Just the lack of any facial animation going on there is what bugs me.

Tenks

Zeliard said:
I agree, why does the guy basically never open his mouth? Always the same close-mouthed stare, which is completely nonsensical since the facial animation in the game literally has an emotional range. You can even see it on your own character during the portrait stuff in the creator, and you can end up giving him some fun smarmy sneer there that you'll never see in the game itself outside of the portrait.

My favorite emotionless part so far:

When I killed Conner. I went down to slit the little kid's throat and was bored doing it.

sendu

Neo Member
Zeliard said:
It breaks the immersion. It's talking about "downloadable content" in a world featuring elves and dwarves. My main issue with it is the wording. The demarcation between DLC content and regular stuff is fine, but they could have worded it in a way that doesn't hurt the sense of place the game so otherwise effectively achieves.

You can't please all of the people all of the time, and I think that "making it clear you'd need to spend real money on something" is more important than a very slight loss of immersion. There'd be a hell of a lot more complaints if people thought they were being tricked into buying DLC, or if it was teased too much (like, you spend 5mins in a conversation where the NPC makes the quest sound super-amazing and really lays on a sales pitch, and only then is it revealed you have to pay).

As it is, I think it's a nice balance. You can just play the game without having to check a 'new DLC' page or anything, but instead just notice a new NPC and quickly know he represents new DLC you might want.

Zzoram

LCfiner said:

worst example I've seen so far. In Lothering. I'm in the chantry and I just finish a quest and, as a reward, I ask (weak spoiler)
for a kiss. NPC leans in and my glassy eyed stare never changes as she pecks me on the cheek.
I know the scene was supposed to be awkward but this was much worse than what they must've intended. at least have my character close his eyes and put on a douchey grin or something.

more than anything else, that's what Mass Effect does so much better than this game. Shephard is a person, not a mannequin.

I agree.

sendu

Neo Member
Number 2 said:
Then you take the quest description and put it in like a real quest if you bought it from the main menu? Make the category its under The Warden's Keep and make no reference to Premium Content.

But then it's just like a normal quest, and easy to be buried in a mountain of other quests. So we get back to the benefit of easily finding the special stuff you paid for.

It's hardly an immersion breaker. It's very well integrated. If the idea of bringing up a quest log at all doesn't break your immersion...

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
sendu said:
But then it's just like a normal quest, and easy to be buried in a mountain of other quests. So we get back to the benefit of easily finding the special stuff you paid for.

It's hardly an immersion breaker. It's very well integrated. If the idea of bringing up a quest log at all doesn't break your immersion...

If you dont realize that the DLC called The Wardens Keep you just spent money on is the new quest that popped up on your screen when you logged in called The Wardens Keep, you have greater problems to worry about.

Dipper145

I'm still amazed that I can run this game at med-high. I've put in so much time into this game in just 2 days.

I just did haven,
I got the ashes, then I tried fighting the dragon with that guys horn and got destroyed so I figured I might have to come back later to kill that dragon.

The only thing that irks me about the game is how the characters move around the map with the blood spots and they take ludicrous paths that are stupidly long. Don't really enjoy the random battles along the way either.

I'm so glad I decided to get the PC version. I am enjoying the battle system too. For me the difficulty is fine on normal if I don't do anything unusual to cheat the AI that makes the game really easy.

I also really love the back and forth between Morrigan and Allistair.

Zeliard

Eurogamer said:
Steering your own highly individual course through it - directing the ebb and flow of its plotting and its characters' relationships through word and deed - you'll be enticed by its openness.

Unfortunately, you'll also be alienated and a trifle bored by its dry setting, rote side-quests, lifeless and bloated dialogue and clumsy attempts at edginess, like a college professor trying to act cool. That it draws you in regardless is testament to its craft.

This strike anyone as contradictory? The good majority of the choice-laden plotting and character interactions, which he praises, is conveyed and executed purely through dialogue.

Kintaro

He gave the PC version a 8/10. If the 360 version features graphics, sound and controls that are worse, did you expect it to score the same?

Zeliard said:
This strike anyone as contradictory? The good majority of the choice-laden plotting and character interactions, which he praises, is conveyed and executed purely through dialogue.

Nope. You can direct the interactions and plotting to a large degree, but the dialogue itself can be a bit boring and lifeless to that person. A customer gave me this complaint last night. He liked how open it was, but thought that it was still boring to read/listen to.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Kintaro said:
He gave the PC version a 8/10. If the 360 version features graphics, sound and controls that are worse, did you expect it to score the same?

Not if the graphics dont detract from the game experience. We arent talking about a huge gulf in quality. This isnt VGA vs CGA here.

Doytch

Jayge said:
He must have quite the raging yeast infection.
Hey look, a console gamer who'd prefer to just bitch and moan about a score rather than actually y'know, explain what he disagrees with. Of course, he probably hasn't had the ability to compare the two versions and see if it really is cramped and lacking key features, but that should never stop someone from speaking their mind. After all, Eurogamer are bias.

This strike anyone as contradictory? The good majority of the choice-laden plotting and the character interactions, which he praises, is conveyed and executed purely through dialogue.
That's pretty much how I feel so far. The choices themselves may be good, and offer you different ways of solving a problem, but they're presented in text that really isn't all that great. It's the same way you can say the writing/story is good, but the script sucks. In this case though, I think the blame doesn't lay with the script entirely (though it doesn't help). A big problem is the lifeless "delivery" of your lines, and the high-fantasy cliches that litter the world. Scottish dwarf? I NEVER!

Zeliard

Kintaro said:
Nope. You can direct the interactions and plotting to a large degree, but the dialogue itself can be a bit boring and lifeless to that person. A customer gave me this complaint last night. He liked how open it was, but thought that it was still boring to read/listen to.

Right, but he's calling the dialogue "bloated" when it's tasked with doing so many of the things in the game that he praises - offering player choice, establishing character personalities and backgrounds, establishing and maturing character relationships, moving the main plot forward, splintering off into side-plots, quests, and other interactions that you can miss, etc. There has to be a great amount of it by default in order to accomplish this. Planescape Torment, while featuring superior writing and dialogue (to this game and any other), went for the same sort of things and had an even more enormous script (which wasn't frequently voiced).

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
L0st Id3ntity said:
How different does the game start depending on your race and class? Is there a point where it all connects no matter what you're playing?
There are six totally different opening depending on race and class. After the first few hours of gameplay they all end up in the same place through different circumstances.

Google

Kintaro said:

Very good point.

It seems that Dragon Age is an 8 until you play the PC version.

At which point you realise what a mistake you made paying $70 for the 360 version.

Kintaro

Number 2 said:
Not if the graphics dont detract from the game experience. We arent talking about a huge gulf in quality. This isnt VGA vs CGA here.

There's no question the graphics and framerate are worse on the console versions. Factor in the overhead camera on PC and there's no contest really.

Zeliard said:
Right, but he's calling the dialogue "bloated" when it's tasked with doing so many of the things in the game that he praises - offering player choice, establishing character personalities and backgrounds, establishing and maturing character relationships, moving the main plot forward, splintering off into side-plots, quests, and other interactions that you can miss, etc. There has to be a great amount of it by default in order to accomplish this. Planescape Torment, while featuring superior writing and dialogue (to this game and any other), went for the same sort of things and had an even more enormous script (which wasn't frequently voiced).

I really love the game, but bloated could be used as well. There are some points where you're talking to a character and they just won't shut the fuck up with their story that goes on well past its point in both presentation and any sort of character/world development it may have had. However, I haven't dived in completely yet so I don't know to what extent this is true.

For example, I liked the Harry Potter books, but I definitely felt they were bloated.

Doytch

Zeliard said:
I'd say "wordy" rather than "bloated" if I was writing it. It also seems like it's wordiness for its own sake. I actually turned on subtitles so I could just read it quicker than the VA and skip to the next line. I don't usually like to do that, either.

e: Thinking back, I think the lines are spoken too slowly. I know they're definitely slower than I talk.

Jarlaxle

Stupid question: Can you get Acheivements if you play the PC version. I really don't like playing PC games and would much prefer playing on a console on my couch but I'm really starting to think the experience would be quite worse on the console.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Why does the game take screenshots? I've gone to my Bioware social network page and looked at them but have no fucking clue why the game took them. And i've seen the "New Screenshot" more times than there are screenshots so i'm wondering what the game is doing with them?

Jayge

Doytch said:
Hey look, a console gamer who'd prefer to just bitch and moan about a score rather than actually y'know, explain what he disagrees with. Of course, he probably hasn't had the ability to compare the two versions and see if it really is cramped and lacking key features, but that should never stop someone from speaking their mind. After all, Eurogamer are bias.

Hey look, another presumptive douche on an internet message board using his misunderstanding of (upon reflection, clearly understated, my bad) sarcasm to shove his foot so far down his throat it comes out his ass! :lol

Oh god how did this get in here I am not good with computers.

Give the 1920x1080 glory a bit of time to load.

Do note the character name on the bottom left.

Edit: well, not really 1920x1080. Stupid compression :-(

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Kintaro said:
There's no question the graphics and framerate are worse on the console versions. Factor in the overhead camera on PC and there's no contest really.
The 360 version looks only slightly worse than the PC version, imo. And even then.. worse than what? Would the PC version of DA run better on a $199 computer? i somehow doubt that.

Zeliard

Kintaro said:
I really love the game, but bloated could be used as well. There are some points where you're talking to a character and they just won't shut the fuck up with their story that goes on well past its point in both presentation and any sort of character/world development it may have had. However, I haven't dived in completely yet so I don't know to what extent this is true.

You're pretty much always given the option of cutting them short, though, or moving the convo in a direction you might find more interesting.

To each his own, of course. I think the dialogue is one of this game's strengths, partly because it does a very solid job with character interaction, and I don't think that would be at all possible were the dialogue "lifeless". I don't think the characters and their relationships to each other can be interesting if what they say to each other isn't, which is why I considered that statement a contradiction.

In the good majority of games I can barely even pay attention to the story and characters because they're so incredibly poorly-written, but I find myself interested in a lot of what these guys have to say. Doesn't hurt that the voice acting for your companions is pretty excellent across-the-board (though Leilana does sound a bit odd), as well as with most other characters in the game, especially the major ones. I have no issues with the writing in this game - it's not especially unique, but it's very solid by videogame standards, particularly as of late. Certainly a major leap over Bethesda's stuff.

Doytch

Jayge said:
Hey look, another presumptive douche on an internet message board using his misunderstanding of (upon reflection, clearly understated, my bad) sarcasm to shove his foot so far down his throat it comes out his ass! :lol
No one could've read that as sarcasm, especially after people just bitched about the score. I love the pot-kettle bit about calling someone a douche after just commenting on someone having a yeast infection (even in sarcasm), though.

To each his own, of course. I think the dialogue is one of this game's strengths, partly because it does a very solid job with character interaction, and I don't think that would be at all possible were the dialogue "lifeless". I don't think the characters and their relationships to each other can be interesting if what they say to each other isn't, which is why I considered that statement a contradiction.

In the good majority of games I can barely even pay attention to the story and characters because they're so incredibly poorly-written, but I find myself interested in a lot of what these guys have to say. Doesn't hurt that the voice acting for your companions is pretty excellent across-the-board (though Leilana does sound a bit odd), as well as with most other characters in the game, especially the major ones. I have no issues with the writing in this game - it's not especially unique, but it's very solid by videogame standards, particularly as of late. Certainly a major leap over Bethesda's stuff.
This is a pure preference, but if they were gonna not voice the main, I'd've preferred they didn't voice anything and just had the dialogue system used in Storm of Zehir. Seriously, the only VAs I've liked are Alistair and Duncan.

A freshly laid pile of dogshit is better than Bethesda's stuff. I just can not get into their games. Lifeless describes their writing perfectly.
Mud crabs. Vile creatures. :lol

Top Bottom