• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Zalasta

Well, I'm just about done with my first play through (at the last battle) so here are some thoughts:

1. Story and conversations: I won't reiterate what everyone else already said, but Bioware really did a great job here. I think this is what drove me to keep on playing until the wee hours of the night, getting to know more about Ferelden, its inhabitants and my party members. The difficult choices you are presented with, especially in Orzammar and Landsmeet, were pretty memorable. I'm mostly a MMO players these days, and I usually just "esc" my way through the talking parts, but in Dragon Age, I don't skip any conversations at all because they are very well written and add a lot to the story itself. My only small gripe is the dialogue tree and its odd behavior. It seems that for the most part, if you answer a question directly, most (if not all) of the tangent (or "more information") choices disappear, but that's not always the case.

Anyway, Alister and Oghren have the best conversations (both personal and random ones), hands down. They'd totally have a permanent spot in my party, but I like to explore different combination of characters.

2. Combat and gameplay: Well, this is the more frustrating part of the game. I think overall it is serviceable, but honestly it felt like they've took the idea of D&D (which I claim no expertise at all), simplified it and added their own flavor to it, except that the end result is just...unpolished.

The "classes" are completely unbalanced (as it's already been mentioned, mages and 2-handers are completely OP). Specializations are kind of lame with only 4 talents each (what kind of bard have only 3 songs), I'd rather they are full blown classes with more options. Skills are mostly useless, especially for mages. Crafting is a big joke. Herbalism is okay, but you can buy/steal/loot potions all the time. Poison and trap making is just a complete waste of space. Attributes are badly defined, I especially hate how stamina is tied to willpower. For mages it's really simple and straightforward: magic and willpower all the way. For melee, however, you need to spread them out in 4-5 categories, pretty much everything but magic. It's really bad if your main isn't a rogue since cunning is tied to coercion.

Itemization is horrible (again, especially for mages). While the mobs scale to your level for the most part, regardless the order you decide to explore the areas, the drops do not. I'm still getting tier 2-4 stuff from chests and loot at level 18+. The lack of good accessories (rings, necklaces and belts) and staffs is ridiculous, my Morrigan and Wynne hardly ever changed their stuff and still wear some of the items they came with. I played my main (dwarven rogue) naked the entire game (no armor, just weapon and accessories) and have no problem, the only exception is he usually doesn't survive a grab from dragon.

Not too fond of how restricted the party setup is either (and this is coming from someone who played a lot of FFXI). I think it's mostly due to the fact that you only have 4 spots available, and you almost always need a tank, healer and rogue, with a random dps. Sure you can get away without a proper tank or a healer sometimes, but 2-hander gets raped too quick and I just don't like to have to chug potions every few seconds. As a result, some character combination are just undesirable (such as Zevran/Leliana/Dog and Alister/Shale). To be honest, I took Morrigan out of my party pretty early on (partly to make it more challenging and partly because I like to give all characters equal opportunities), I only put her in big encounters when I really need crowd control or fights that are heavily reliant on magic. Anyway, I think this could be solved very easily if the party size is increased to 5.

With how much combat there is in Dragon Age, it's just disappointing to see how lacking it is.

3. Other stuff: Dragon Age is gorgeous, and while I'm not a big graphic whore, there were some really odd model clipping and visual glitches. For example, as stated before my main don't wear armor, so the weapons kind of just hovered in the thin air several inches away from his back. In some of the later cutscenes, the items often appear clipped through his body. Lots of weird quest bugs. NPC showing the quest symbol even though the quest itself is already marked as complete. I could pick up both versions of searching for the Paragon but one is still showing as in progress after I picked a side. Some quests mysteriously disappear from the journal even though I never finished them (like the drop-off one which I assume I could no longer do when I killed the competition for Antivan Crow).

On romance and virtual sex. My feeling is if you can't do it all the way, why bother showing/having it at all? It felt really pretentious and fake as a result. I've played Japanese visual novels and dating sims (which are just still art) that portray relationships in a far more realistic and meaningful manner, so in the end the consummation is rewarding (and also a lot more erotic). Not so in Dragon Age, which makes me wonder why bother at all?

On replayability. Too bad it's so linear. I think there is only one instance where a different choice would give you a different scenario to play through (
if you decide to stand down and get captured when you tried to rescue the queen. I haven't checked it out completely, so it may just be a really small part rather than a whole blown story
). I don't feel particularly motivated to play again, beyond the different origin stories, especially not the Fade/Deep Roads parts, just to see slightly different dialogues. I wish they had made it so that only certain party members and parts of the world are available depending on what you do. That way, you are still gathering armies to fight the blight, but different allies each time.

Sorry it's so long. Admittedly I'm not much of a WRPG player but I really enjoyed Dragon Age. My play time is over 60 hours (not including countless reloads) if that means anything. I don't think it's as good as most reviews have claimed it to be, especially with so many rough edges, but it is definitely one of the best RPG's I've played in a while. I'd totally be interested in DLC if it adds a good chunk to the lore. Count me in as a new fan of Bioware (sorry, Baldur's Gate and NWN didn't do much for me; KOTOR never interested me and Mass Effect was fun but overrated).

DEO3

Does anyone who's played through the game with a mage have any advice on what stats, skills, spells to prioritize, now that you've played through the game? Like what ended up proving invaluable and what proved useless to you?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
DEO3 said:
Does anyone who's played through the game with a mage have any advice on what stats, skills, spells to prioritize, now that you've played through the game? Like what ended up proving invaluable and what proved useless to you?

I haven't played through the whole game but I'm a mage. I've invested most of my points in Magic/Willpower. As for spells I've maxed out the environmental ones. Snow, Fire, Lightning. Works for me.

Effect

I finally got around to starting a new character and went with the Human Noble. That was a really quick origin though. In fact far to quick for my liking. Perhaps it was my first time playing but my Mage origin was a lot longer. Though I did like the melee combat. Though it was very cliche in terms of a beginning I think. I just hope what happen in that origin is revisited. I stopped last night once I got to the Grey Warden camp in Ost.

Amneisac

I've resisted as long as I can, I finally picked this up on Friday for $39.99 and put my $20 MW2 credit down on it.

It should be waiting for me at home. Fortunately I've managed to avoid most of the spoilers and stuff in this thread, because I just can't stop reading it!

syllogism

DEO3 said:
Ice/elec line for the storm of the century. You don't really need both as Wynne or whoever your second mage is (and you should have two) can get the other. Fire+Elec makes more sense anyway as you can't have Flaming and Frost weapons enabled at the same time on one mage. I never got chain lightning as that seemed relatively pointless. Earthquake isn't useful later on and as such I would probably skip petrify as well. Inferno is unnecessary once you've the storm of the century and three area effect spells is an overkill anyway. Stonefist is nice and you'll ideally want to have at least three single target spells so you can spam them constantly. In conclusion if I had to redo my main character's primal category spells I would get: Fire 3, Earth 2, Elec 3. You could skip Fire completely, but I find the spells useful.

As for the rest, get Mind Blast and Force Field as soon as possible, for both mages. One of them should get Spell Might at some point for the Storm of the Century. All four hexes are useful as is the chain with Waking Nightmare. I didn't use glyphs, but they are fairly useful if you somehow have spell levels to spare. Drain life is pretty nice and that's the only spell of that chain you should consider, though apparently Death Cloud + Death Hex does insane damage. The problem is death hex affects only a single target.

I'd probably get fireball first, followed by mindblast and force field. After that the order doesn't matter much. Arcane Warrior is the best specialization and Shimmering shield the best skill in that chain. For the second specialization it depends on whether you want to be a blood mage or not. Blood mage spell 3 is amazing, while 4 is fairly useless. Spirit Healer is a alternative as Group Heal is very good and costs only one point to get.

Crushing Prison is good, but I would probably get that on Wynne. I didn't find Haste or Heroic Defense useful for a party with two mages and a rogue, so Wynne could skip those. Revival is useful against some bosses and Cleansing Aura is convenient as it heals injuries.

Philthy

Zalasta said:
1. Story and conversations: I won't reiterate what everyone else already said, but Bioware really did a great job here. I think this is what drove me to keep on playing until the wee hours of the night

I can completely agree with this. I picked this up Friday night because I finally had a weekend to myself. I must have put in close to 14 hours or more. It sounds cliche, but I sat down to play at 9pm, and looked up and it was 4am. I haven't done this for as long as I can remember. The whole story sucks you right in. I had my reservations on all the reviews saying how great this game was, but man, the storyline is fantastic. The G4 review seemed to suggest that it was a very slow moving game that ramped up partway through. I felt that this game is providing enough mix of action and story and story within the action itself to keep you completely immersed. I haven't had a single interaction yet where I'm thinking "Yeah yeah, get off my screen.".

I also love that they put in a lot of options just to mess with peoples heads. A lot of them, in fact.

Zalasta said:
2. Combat and gameplay: Well, this is the more frustrating part of the game. I think overall it is serviceable, but honestly it felt like they've took the idea of D&D (which I claim no expertise at all), simplified it and added their own flavor to it, except that the end result is just...unpolished.

I'm not sure what version you're playing, but I'm on PC. I was pleased to see that this game had built-in native support for my Logitech G13 nerdpad. I'm finding running around in 3rd person, using the mouse to mouselook/control the characters and the G13 to pause, cast spells, and eveything else beyond perfect.

If you mean by mechanics, yeah, I think I would have preferred AD&D spells, and classes. The ones in this game are a bit lacking compared to anything in the first two Baulders Gate games. Thankfully combat itself, and the story is so much fun, this is excusable. I know of no other game where this is possible.

Why don't mages have an unlock spell. This really drives me nuts.

Zalasta said:
Itemization is horrible (again, especially for mages). While the mobs scale to your level for the most part,

I am not along towards the end, but from what I remember of BG, and BG2, items in these games were pretty standard fare, with the really good ones being very well hidden, or at the end of very long side quests. Otherwise your party was kind of stuck with meh items. Expansion packs DID fix this, though, and offered a lot of great loot throughout, but the basic games themselves were mostly meh.

Zalasta said:
Not too fond of how restricted the party setup is either (and this is coming from someone who played a lot of FFXI). I think it's mostly due to the fact that you only have 4 spots available, and you almost always need a tank, healer and rogue, with a random dps.

Anyway, I think this could be solved very easily if the party size is increased to 5.

This. I have been thinking this since the first time I got to add characters to the party. Four is just too small for how many classes there are. Five would have been perfect.

Zalasta said:
3. Other stuff: Dragon Age is gorgeous, and while I'm not a big graphic whore, there were some really odd model clipping and visual glitches.

Can't say I've noticed any of this yet. The only eyebrow raising concern I've seen are blatantly bad textures here and there. Doors that look like compressed lowres nightmares, or a cut scene in front of a book that is just a blurred mess, which other items on the table are really detailed. You would think an artist would play through the game and mark down what should be touched up. Some of them were really obvious.

Redcliffe standoff was very difficult for me. I had to lowered difficulty to easy. Kudos to people who beat it on Hard or Nightmere. It's like endurance battle. One good thing is, unlike other encounters, game allows you to save while it is still going on.

Anso

Beat the game yesterday with my warrior, was pissed the entire game about
Morrigan not wanting to fuck girls
so I'm currently replay the game as a really evil elven mage. I also missed Zevran last game so I'm thinking of making him a key party memeber this time around.

Also, blood magic (especially with the Warden's Keep DLC) is fun :3

Woo-Fu

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
Redcliffe standoff was very difficult for me. I had to lowered difficulty to easy. Kudos to people who beat it on Hard or Nightmere. It's like endurance battle. One good thing is, unlike other encounters, game allows you to save while it is still going on.

I don't know how people had problems with this one. I've done it on normal and on hard. On normal I don't think any of the NPCs died, on hard most of them died but I pretty much let that happen so that I could sell all of their gear, lol. I don't think any of my own party got more than scratched.

One thing I've noticed is that I hardly ever get more than 8 or so mobs at once, even though I can see more of them staging the next wave. If all of them came at once it would certainly be more challenging, maybe that is happening for some people?

Ashodin

Garryk said:
On the
High Dragon
fight, is there anyway to avoid being
grabbed
?
Use a mage's Cone of Cold or Winter's Grasp, or a Warrior's Shield Bash.

Ending it quickly is key to keeping health at manageable levels.

I did that fight at level 13, Main Character Mage/ArcaneWarrior, Morrigan, Leliana, and Alistair.

Zalasta

Philthy said:
If you mean by mechanics, yeah, I think I would have preferred AD&D spells, and classes. The ones in this game are a bit lacking compared to anything in the first two Baulders Gate games. Thankfully combat itself, and the story is so much fun, this is excusable. I know of no other game where this is possible.

Yes, I played on the PC and I wasn't referring to the control. Maybe I'm just biased and spoiled from MMO, but I found the mechanics in Dragon Age to be amateurish. It is almost as if they took bits and pieces from well established rulesets and thrown them together. So some things work but most do not. The fact that mages can get away from specializing in two attributes while others are burdened with more, kind of show they don't seem to have an understanding on how to balance classes. Base stats should be the easiest to balance and then you build it up from there, but they didn't even get that right.

Philthy said:
I am not along towards the end, but from what I remember of BG, and BG2, items in these games were pretty standard fare, with the really good ones being very well hidden, or at the end of very long side quests. Otherwise your party was kind of stuck with meh items. Expansion packs DID fix this, though, and offered a lot of great loot throughout, but the basic games themselves were mostly meh/

Well, I think all items are locked into certain tier, even named ones. So if you happen to get something really great earlier on, it's hard to find replacements, even if they are rare. It's just disappointing when I get some fabulous loot off of a boss, only to find it has inferior stats than what I'm using. It's great you don't have to do most things in order, but the drops should reflect that as well.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Woo-Fu said:
I don't know how people had problems with this one. I've done it on normal and on hard. On normal I don't think any of the NPCs died, on hard most of them died but I pretty much let that happen so that I could sell all of their gear, lol. I don't think any of my own party got more than scratched.

One thing I've noticed is that I hardly ever get more than 8 or so mobs at once, even though I can see more of them staging the next wave. If all of them came at once it would certainly be more challenging, maybe that is happening for some people?

I think it is.

I had about 25 at once, so I kited them to the knights on top of the hill. I had no healer in my party by then, so it was tough until I got a few strategies down.

I think they are supposed to stage to the side and come in full groups, but if a team member gets too close, it triggers the entire group to come either whole or 1 by 1 and another to stage, so if you accidentally trigger 2-3 groups you can get a lot on your hand in about 30 seconds.

I agree the party should be 5. And the texture mod put out with daily patches already makes a significant difference. Also, why is there no anisotropic filtering option in the video settings?

I also think some of the classes need a bit of reworking. More individualized to allow more specialization. As it stands, you need to spread your points too thin to get a good character.

syllogism

Zalasta said:
Yes, I played on the PC and I wasn't referring to the control. Maybe I'm just biased and spoiled from MMO, but I found the mechanics in Dragon Age to be amateurish. It is almost as if they took bits and pieces from well established rulesets and thrown them together. So some things work but most do not. The fact that mages can get away from specializing in two attributes while others are burdened with more, kind of show they don't seem to have an understanding on how to balance classes. Base stats should be the easiest to balance and then you build it up from there, but they didn't even get that right.
Dragon Age isn't balanced at all, but what you said about attributes is rather nonsensical because there's no reason being "burdened with more" attributes matters, especially when you aren't playing one character but four. It's even dubious to claim it would matter even if you played just one character. One point of strength for example helps the warrior a lot more than one point of magic and even if it didn't, it still wouldn't mean the characters aren't "balanced".

Also perhaps you should compare it to other games of its genre rather than games that have been balanced over years by millions of players.

Uncle

DEO3 said:

I found the virulent walking bomb to be pretty fucking awesome in the end. I got the Heavy hitter achievement with it, I think (Main character inflicted 250 damage with a single hit). Whole bunch of grunts just erupted in a fountain of blood.

Philthy

Woo-Fu said:

I am thinking people aren't aware you can "pull" mobs so that they don't all come at once. This was possible in the earlier BG games, and it's something a lot of MMOs also use. You just inch your party forward slowly so that only one guy can see you, and he ends up running at you with maybe one or two friends. Where if you charged the room itself, you would get a whole room full of guys, and maybe they would in turn cause the room next to you to come running in as well.

Setting up ambushes is a great, and fun way to get through some of these areas with a massive amount of mobs.

JoeBoy101

Kuro Madoushi said:
End spoiler

I don't want to use the POS book as a reference, but Loghain's motives/actions/LOOK seems so different. I didn't buy how he could betray the king so easily considering how loyal he was to Maric. I also didn't buy his daughter either. I expected something like abominations controlling him or a mage blackmailing him or SOMETHING. Maybe there is something and I never saw it due to the choices I made, but I will say again, his actions were incredibly OFF.

I still think you're way too outnumbered throughout the game :(

I read Loghain's actions as he felt the King was focusing too much on Fame, Glory, and the Blight, and too little to Orlais(sp?). Bear in mind that the lands of Fereldin have only been free or Orlais rule for 30 years, and he was young enough to have fought in those wars. Loghains motivation is the survival of Denerium above everything, including the King. And he felt that accepting help from Orlais and a King that did not sufficiently protect its border to them was not strong enough to rule.

Loghain's entire narrative is meant to show how extreme measures, even for a noble concern, corrupts. His goal was to protect the country and his people, but by doing anything it required including condoning slavery, blood magic, and murder. Which, in the end, started ripping apart and destroying the country on the inside. At least, that's how I saw it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Philthy said:
I am thinking people aren't aware you can "pull" mobs so that they don't all come at once. This was possible in the earlier BG games, and it's something a lot of MMOs also use. You just inch your party forward slowly so that only one guy can see you, and he ends up running at you with maybe one or two friends. Where if you charged the room itself, you would get a whole room full of guys, and maybe they would in turn cause the room next to you to come running in as well.

Setting up ambushes is a great, and fun way to get through some of these areas with a massive amount of mobs.

I think that particular encounter though is designed to pull a whole group of 8-10 at once, they pool together and wait to get pulled together. They are relatively weak so the idea is you can take on 8-10 easily. But if there is a bug on pulling and you get 2-3 groups its overwhelming.

That said I agree with you that this game brings the pulling ideas from MMOs into SP which is something a lot of people may not expect or realize. I like it though, like you said, it lets you be a lot more tactical in your battles and actually set up ambushes.

Woo-Fu said:

Beat the shit out of that on nightmare(on my first try), but all the NPCs died in the first few seconds from Morrigans AOE spells.

After i beat it, i reloaded and lowered the difficulty so that the NPCs could live and i could get the ring from Llyod.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
While the mobs scale to your level for the most part
Do the enemies or encounters in this game actually scale to your level? I hadn't noticed, and I'm not a big fan of it the concept, but I guess it would explain the encounters (which I quite like, difficulty-wise) involving more than just real-time clicking and actually needing some attention.

AndyD

aka andydumi
AstroLad said:
Do the enemies or encounters in this game actually scale to your level? I hadn't noticed, and I'm not a big fan of it the concept, but I guess it would explain the encounters (which I quite like, difficulty-wise) involving more than just real-time clicking and actually needing some attention.

It has to be since its relatively non linear after a certain point. Since they cant predict which way you go, they have to scale the encounters appropriately.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AndyD said:
It has to be since its relatively non linear after a certain point. Since they cant predict which way you go, they have to scale the encounters appropriately.
Ah ok. I'm only like ten hours in or so if that so I haven't even had more than a few dozen. Too bad, one of my favorite thing about RPGs sometimes is just beating the shit out of people with uberleveled characters. I enjoy the combat though so that mitigates it.

syllogism

AstroLad said:
Ah ok. I'm only like ten hours in or so if that so I haven't even had more than a few dozen. Too bad, one of my favorite thing about RPGs sometimes is just beating the shit out of people with uberleveled characters. I enjoy the combat though so that mitigates it.
You'll eventually be doing that despite the scaling, even on nightmare.

Uncle

AstroLad said:

They do scale, but with min/max settings, so that grunts will still be grunts in the end while tougher enemies should never be total pushovers.

AndyD

aka andydumi
AstroLad said:

Its weird, but some areas are still underleveled so you still get that occasional insane encounter where you dominate with your pinky. I think they took certain key story encounters and made sure they are appropriately challenging and the rest and side missions is not as strict.

Justinian

AndyD said:
Its weird, but some areas are still underleveled so you still get that occasional insane encounter where you dominate with your pinky. I think they took certain key story encounters and made sure they are appropriately challenging and the rest and side missions is not as strict.

Yea that's probably it, they do mix it up with the level scaling. Overall the most important thing is that the result feels pretty good in terms of progression and making you feel more powerful.

Sure there are some encounters that spike in difficulty but I've never seen this as a bad thing.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ah okay, makes sense. I don't know why it bothers me. Orcs should be orcs and skeletons should be skeletons damn it! I don't like this monster affirmative action.

dreamer3kx said:
Im finding the game a bit easy so far, Im only a good six seven hours in and doing side quest, was this a complaint?

Only 6-7 hours in, you've barely seen much of what the game is going to toss at you.

Zeliard

AstroLad said:
Ah okay, makes sense. I don't know why it bothers me. Orcs should be orcs and skeletons should be skeletons damn it! I don't like this monster affirmative action.

There is scaling only up to a certain point - I'm pretty sure each enemy has its own level range limits. A rat can only be so strong, while you'll probably never fight an Ogre or Dragon that isn't tough.

Someone had a link that explained it in detail.

Justinian

Zeliard said:
There is scaling only up to a certain point - I'm pretty sure each enemy has its own level range limits. A rat can only be so strong, while you'll probably never fight an Ogre or Dragon that isn't tough.

Someone had a link that explained it in detail.

Absolutely, Enemy types generally retain their difficulty. An ogre is really tough your first time, but later on you are taking them on with ease.

BattleMonkey said:
Only 6-7 hours in, you've barely seen much of what the game is going to toss at you.

ok thanks, Im elf class and would prefer light armor, is there some nice light armor later on, I still have my original armor eqipped.

AndyD

aka andydumi
dreamer3kx said:
ok thanks, Im elf class and would prefer light armor, is there some nice light armor later on, I still have my original armor eqipped.

I wore mine until early teen levels. The +1 dex on each item and set bonus are hard to pass up as an Archer with the dex hotfix mod.

yacobod

Banned
finally had a lot of time over the weekend to really sink my teeth into the game, my main is a human mage, i've been playing a pretty evil path at this point

right now i'm up to level 13, i've completed Warden's Keep, got Shale, the Mage Tower & Redcliffe, i've dealt with Morrigan's mother, the Dragon after getting the ashes for the Arl, and a lot of the side quests in Denerim, i still need to gain the Dalish and Dwarven alliances

i've been using Alistair as my Tank, Shale as melee dps, my Mage as CC/Heals, and Morrigan as dps, to kill Flemeth i replaced Leliana with Morrigan for some ranged dps

i've been playing the game on normal, i'd say some of the encounters are challenging, but nothing crazy, i've only had to reload 2-3 times max for any fight, on my next play through i will bump it up to hard or nightmare

my mage i went with Spirit Healer specialization as i didnt want to have wynne in my party, and she left after
what i did to the urn anyways
, i plan on picking up blood mage when i hit level 14, i think blood mage/spirit healer dual spec will be pretty OP

i think for someone starting a mage, i think frost line, healing line, and nightmare line are the best, gives you damage, cc, and heals

relationship side, i bedded Moriggan pretty early in the game, and i have here at 100% support at the moment, i've recently started to pursue Leliana, it started more as a joke, but then her approval rating sky rocketed pretty fast after giving her a gift i found, those flowers u find in redcliffe and some other shit, ended up doing her side quest as well, i think i have her at 90+ approval, going to try to bed both of them before having to make a decision who to kick to the curb

fun game overall, i think on my next playthrough going to roll a dwarf Reaver, might play more of the heroic/good guy on that attempt, after this play through

one weird bug i encountered in this game in Redcliffe,
i killed jowan in the redcliffe prisons after getting my blood magic from the desire demon in the fade, later after bringing the ashes to save the arl, jowan was miraculously alive and the arl had him executed again
, this happen to anyone else?

lorddarkflare said:
Beat the shit out of that on nightmare(on my first try), but all the NPCs died in the first few seconds from Morrigans AOE spells.

After i beat it, i reloaded and lowered the difficulty so that the NPCs could live and i could get the ring from Llyod.

What ring? Is it special? I missed it.

Lyonaz

I've been playing for around 45 hours now, got all of the alliances except the Dwarves.
Busy heading into the Deep Roads now.

So I'm supposed to sell all my loot right, you know the ones that are useless, like all the gems, silverware and stuff. I've been holding them in my inventory for ages thinking I need them for something, but yesterday I thought fuck it, I need inventory space and gold. That's the main way to get gold right?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
JoeBoy101 said:
I read Loghain's actions as he felt the King was focusing too much on Fame, Glory, and the Blight, and too little to Orlais(sp?). Bear in mind that the lands of Fereldin have only been free or Orlais rule for 30 years, and he was young enough to have fought in those wars. Loghains motivation is the survival of Denerium above everything, including the King. And he felt that accepting help from Orlais and a King that did not sufficiently protect its border to them was not strong enough to rule.

Loghain's entire narrative is meant to show how extreme measures, even for a noble concern, corrupts. His goal was to protect the country and his people, but by doing anything it required including condoning slavery, blood magic, and murder. Which, in the end, started ripping apart and destroying the country on the inside. At least, that's how I saw it.

I think his actions and motivations were probably the least developed. I mean, if you
choose to sacrifice yourself at the end, he doesn't appear in the final cutscene. It's like they didn't anticipate what would happen if he was left alive to remember his crimes.

imtehman

Banned
quick question regarding party members:

Sometimes it gives me the option to remove members from my party. Is there a limit to the amount of people that i can have in my entourage?

Like if i get every member i can early on, will i miss out on some guys later because my party is full?

demifiend

Loving this game, but I feel like recounting a weird moment for me:
My friend said that "all over the internet" people were "really pissed" that there is no respec option. which I considered a rather asinine complaint. I have not seen a single PC or console RPG that allows you to do this, with the exception of WoW (maybe Diablo? I never liked Diablo, and this is not a successor to that kind of game). As someone weaned on Ultima Underworld, I dismissed his complaints with mockery.
THEN, in an attempt to be able to use acid flasks as weapons, I took poison-making. As a warrior. I completely glossed over and did not notice the COERCION skill, and watched several conversation opportunities of interest pass me by. I am currently holding my tongue on this matter from my friend.

Zalasta

syllogism said:
Dragon Age isn't balanced at all, but what you said about attributes is rather nonsensical because there's no reason being "burdened with more" attributes matters, especially when you aren't playing one character but four. It's even dubious to claim it would matter even if you played just one character. One point of strength for example helps the warrior a lot more than one point of magic and even if it didn't, it still wouldn't mean the characters aren't "balanced".

Also perhaps you should compare it to other games of its genre rather than games that have been balanced over years by millions of players.

Why wouldn't it? I think it has a lot to do with the reason why mages are so OP. The 3 points you get every level always go directly into magic and willpower, but for rogues and warriors, they have to be spread out between 4-5 different attributes. They need offensive as well as defensive stats, on top of needing a large enough stamina pool. I think tank has it the worst because he will also need to dump points into constitution, melee dps can skimp on it but with how many aoe abilities there are (especially on bosses), you can't ignore HP completely either.

You're right I made an unfair comparison (which wasn't really a comparison in the first place, I only said my disappointment most likely came from the fact I played a lot of games that are continuously being tweaked for balance), I admitted as much, but that doesn't excuse the game from having class issues, especially when there are only 3.

Anyway, I'm not going to harp on it, I just had hoped the gameplay mechanics would be more refined, coming from Bioware. It did not make the experience any less enjoyable, just that it has some room for improvements.

imtehman said:
quick question regarding party members:

Sometimes it gives me the option to remove members from my party. Is there a limit to the amount of people that i can have in my entourage?

Like if i get every member i can early on, will i miss out on some guys later because my party is full?

Whenever you're on quest, you can select only 4 members (including you) out of all available party members. Your overall party size is restricted only by no. of available characters in the game who can join you.

syllogism

Zalasta said:
Why wouldn't it? I think it has a lot to do with the reason why mages are so OP. The 3 points you get every level always go directly into magic and willpower, but for rogues and warriors, they have to be spread out between 4-5 different attributes. They need offensive as well as defensive stats, on top of needing a large enough stamina pool. I think tank has it the worst because he will also need to dump points into constitution, melee dps can skimp on it but with how many aoe abilities there are (especially on bosses), you can't ignore HP completely either.

You're right I made an unfair comparison (which wasn't really a comparison in the first place, I only said my disappointment most likely came from the fact I played a lot of games that are continuously being tweaked for balance), I admitted as much, but that doesn't excuse the game from having class issues, especially when there are only 3.
Because all classes serve a purpose, it's a single player game and you are choosing from a pool of characters? Furthermore, like I said one point of str is worth a lot more than one point of magic as str increases damage by 1 (or more as some weapons have modifiers AND str does a bunch of other things) while magic increases spellpower by 1 which increases damage by 1%. Besides warriors don't have to spread out between 4-5 attributes unless you are dual wielding. In fact it's perfectly fine to put almost all your points into str and con.
Anyway, I'm not going to harp on it, I just had hoped the gameplay mechanics would be more refined, coming from Bioware. It did not make the experience any less enjoyable, just that it has some room for improvements.
Haha, right as if Bioware has ever made a game with balanced mechanics

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Zalasta said:
Crafting is a big joke.
...wha?

I probably spent like 300 gold on crafting in my play through because of how incredibly powerful it was.

potions, lyrium potions, swift salves, the high level poisons which you can stack together? Awesome.

edit:
also in regards to attribute points, for the most part I did this:
mages take magic and will
rogues take dex and cun
tanks take str and con

each class had 2 attributes that were "theirs." I think any sort of feeling of being stretched out comes from you trying to make a jack of all trades melee character. One who can tank, AND dps, AND use skills like coercion AND maybe do some CC.

You don't need willpower to tank at all really. Just enough to activate a couple modes like threaten and shield defense and use the occasional taunt.

Not being balanced is sort of part of the fun in an indirect way, as it promotes wonderfully masochistic game difficulty mods that are tuned to give challenge to powergamer builds.

I think some of the spells in the game are just a little too good ( notably Crushing Prison, Cone of Cold, Force Field, and Mana Clash), but outside of that and the tankmage silliness it's pretty balanced.

I'm not sold on Blizzard/Tempest being so bad outside of the way LOS requirements on the PC version work so that you can cast it "over" a wall. If you're just using it to make a choke/kill point you can do that almost as well with traps.

Top Bottom