• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Didnt notice, is there an option to have multiple save slots/characters? Tried elven mage, want to try a warrior or rogue real quick to see which I think I'll prefer but don't want to have to start the mage over.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
John Harker said:
Didnt notice, is there an option to have multiple save slots/characters? Tried elven mage, want to try a warrior or rogue real quick to see which I think I'll prefer but don't want to have to start the mage over.

Yes. In fact it does this automatically so you don't even have to worry about overwriting the saves of other characters. You can have quick saves and auto saves for each character. If you check out the load screen there should be an option to change characters.

I'm talking about the PC version, but I assume it works similarly for the consoles.

Ventrue

Tokubetsu said:
Anybody beat the game who had the City Elf origin?
What happens to your betrothed? Im wrapping up the alienage stuff in Denerim right now and must have missed the mention of her.

Well I was playing as a man elf, it's a bit different for the ladies I think:
Soris or Shiana tells you that your the brides left town because there was nothing for them here anymore.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ventrue said:
Well I was playing as a man elf, it's a bit different for the ladies I think:
Soris or Shiana tells you that your the brides left town because there was nothing for them here anymore.

And if I remember correctly, if you play female,
your groom to be dies in the prison break

markatisu

OK I know I am missing something, in the Ruined Temple
how do you open the 2nd door?

I got in fine and have searched high and low and the only place left to go is there but it is locked

Nemesis556 said:
So I'm trying to bed Morrigan and as such don't really care about how I do it, but in regards to her "personal quest":

Is anything bad gonna happen since I didn't kill Flemeth?

Nothing happens, in this game at least. The agreement made with flemeth sounded way off.

Leminnes

Banned
Zzoram said:
Man, the Fade is annoying but you get a TON of permanent stat point boosts.

The Fade was one of my favorite part of the games.

Also, I wanted to point out something funny. I was playing Mass Effect and I noticed 3 parallels of sorts to Dragon Age:

The Geth come from "The Fade"
You can become a "Paragon" just like the Dwarves have Paragons
When you save that woman and that paranoid man the woman says "Thank the Maker!" like 20,000 or so people do in Dragon Age.

I'm sure there's more, these are just the ones I notice. I'm not sure if they're on purpose, but I found it a bit humorous. :p

1stStrike

Banned
Leminnes said:

Also, I wanted to point out something funny. I was playing Mass Effect and I noticed 3 parallels of sorts to Dragon Age:

When you save that woman and that paranoid man the woman says "Thank the Maker!" like 20,000 or so people do in Dragon Age.

I'm sure there's more, these are just the ones I notice. I'm not sure if they're on purpose, but I found it a bit humorous. :p

I found a note at one point in the game that directly references mass effect. It's like a scribbled note and doesn't make a lot of sense but it mentions several things from the game in a round about way.

Leminnes

Banned
1stStrike said:
I found a note at one point in the game that directly references mass effect. It's like a scribbled note and doesn't make a lot of sense but it mentions several things from the game in a round about way.

Haha, where did you find it?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Leminnes said:

The Geth come from the Perseus Veil, aka "the Veil" ; P

1stStrike

Banned
Leminnes said:
Haha, where did you find it?

I forgot...though I seem to recall it being near some water or something. I'm on my 2nd play through now so if I find it again I'll make sure I post the location.

Oh and for those that aren't sure on warriors...give them some time. Max out the dual wield or 2h weapon tree (or both) and go to town. I'm having a blast with my 2h sword wielding dwarf. I have him as a berserker atm and I might make his 2nd class a templar. That way he can be of use against magic users as well.

Ploid 3.0

I would buy dlc that's centered around life in the proving grounds. 100s of fights, unique situations, minimal to no story, just a big fight pack. I start over just to get enemies to fight again. Have yet to beat the game and have over 100 hours into it total. I just now made a save so I can start from there (deep roads) instead of starting all the way over for stuff to beat up.

I'm at 30 hours and I've only just finished the Arl and Elf blight quests. And Shale. I guess I'm taking my sweet time. Hell, I only just got Alister into full massive armor just now, at level 13. Is it just me or does the Dragon Blood armor suck ass? Better to keep the chest and throw him in something else than go for the set bonus.

Also I'm pleased that I seem to have accidentally spurned the advances of both the women and attracted the bi-larious elf.

Leminnes

Banned
Killthee said:

Oh, you are correct ser. Oh well, I guess it was close? :p

On a Dragon Age note, does anyone know if they'll be adding Orlais content in a DLC, EP, or a brand new game? I was honestly fairly disappointed when we never got to go over there. Especially with that nice arrow pointing in its direction. I also really want to meet all the Grey Wardens.

Mindlog

Killthee said:

and the biggest relationssss

Bioware once stated they wish they had thought out Mass Effect's level cap a little better. They said 60 was too high if they planned on allowing you to carry skills over from one game to another.

Dragon Age: Alliance confirmed to import Origin characters and story.

Leminnes

Banned
Mindlog said:
and the biggest relationssss

Bioware once stated they wish they had thought out Mass Effect's level cap a little better. They said 60 was too high if they planned on allowing you to carry skills over from one game to another.

Dragon Age: Alliance confirmed to import Origin characters and story.

"Dragon Age: Alliance" < what's this?! Have I missed something?

Edit: WAIT, nevermind, I got it. /facepalm

Also, does anyone know what the best armor you can get for a mage is? Because my current mage seems to be stuck in this rather ugly looking feather shouldered... thing with lackluster stats.

Dead

well not really...yet
iam.rass said:
you actually have to quest for dragonscale armour? when I first went into Wade's, I had enough scales for
both
sets of armour, and I still have some in my inventory. Maybe I did things in a different order.
I had them before I got there as well

I just mean, that after I had the armors made I was no longer allowed to buy anything from the shop

ZAnimus

I'm enjoying this game way more than I expected to, and have lost pretty much a whole weekend because of it. I started playing at 7:00pm on Friday, and by Sunday night I'd put 30 hours on the clock :lol

The note that references Mass Effect is in the Deep Roads just a bit before fighting the 10 titted tentacle spider demon thing.

I'm like 50 hours in. I did everything I could on the map and ran around for a bit until I discovered how to get the urn of ashes quest going and I'm doing that now.

I really feel like my 5 years of playing WoW have really helped me play this game. I read this thread and read about people playing with no tank or no healer and talking about their tanks running off and aggroing 20 monsters at once. I learned all about pulling, line of sight, tanks and healers, DPS, buffs, debuffs, dots, crowd control, ect from WoW. This game is a lot like playing WoW controlling all your party members.

I really wish the loot was cooler. Coming from games like WoW and Torchlight to this, 99% of the drops look like vendor trash and the good loot really isn't that exiting either.

Giolon

I'm trying hard not to "game" this game, but every time I see stuff like "Morrigan's approval rating has dropped (-X)" I lose a little bit more resolve. I want to just go along and enjoy the ride but every time I see stuff like that pop up I can't help but feel that the door to some content (not just lame romances) is closing on me.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Oni Link 666 said:
I really wish the loot was cooler. Coming from games like WoW and Torchlight to this, 99% of the drops look like vendor trash and the good loot really isn't that exiting either.
Yeah, the loot tables could definitely be sweetened up. It is also heavy on 1-handed swords. Where is a 3-slot morning star or mace? You should be able to give Alistair a really nice crush weapon to go along with shield and I don't remember finding any. There are a couple for mid-game but after that there is nothing. They should let you pick just about any weapon type as a reward for the star metal quest added with Warden's Keep, instead they let you choose from 1-hand or 2-hand sword.

Tokubetsu

Leminnes said:
What did you do, dare I ask?

Huge Spoilers:
I didn't kill Loghain and was basically forced to pick between him or anora for sparing his life. Alistair couldn't abide with that and left, saying that Loghain deserved death etc. He was to marry Anora and be king (I had persuaded them into it) but If he was to be king, he'd have Longhain killed, Anora said he was being childish, going with his feelings etc and not what made best for Ferelden...and I kinda agreed. So he left and chose Anora as ruler.

Leminnes

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Huge Spoilers:
I didn't kill Loghain and was basically forced to pick between him or anora for sparing his life. Alistair couldn't abide with that and left, saying that Loghain deserved death etc. He was to marry Anora and be king (I had persuaded them into it) but If he was to be king, he'd have Longhain killed, Anora said he was being childish, going with his feelings etc and not what made best for Ferelden...and I kinda agreed. So he left and chose Anora as ruler.

Ouch, yeah.

Also huge spoiler:
I killed the sonofabitch, Loghain. Douchenugget deserved to die, in my opinion. I was the one that killed him, though. Alistair married Anora and became king.

Woo-Fu said:
Yeah, the loot tables could definitely be sweetened up. It is also heavy on 1-handed swords. Where is a 3-slot morning star or mace? You should be able to give Alistair a really nice crush weapon to go along with shield and I don't remember finding any. There are a couple for mid-game but after that there is nothing. They should let you pick just about any weapon type as a reward for the star metal quest added with Warden's Keep, instead they let you choose from 1-hand or 2-hand sword.

It also seems to be severely lacking in Mage Robes that don't look like boring pieces of cloth. I was really hoping for something epic looking towards the end.

Like this:

ArcaneHorror.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Tokubetsu said:
Huge Spoilers:

I did that, got the associated achievement and immediately reloaded my game because I simply couldn't live with that decision. I prefer the alternative as I didn't much like Anora and it was very satisfying to see
Loghain get what was coming to him.

Tokubetsu said:
Huge Spoilers:

I was planning on having them marry, but used Alistair for the Loghain fight instead of myself. When it was over he killed Loghain, no choice in the matter, and then Anora wouldn't marry him. Ergo, Al was king.
I do love the many different ways that this could play out; it'll be interesting to see how this facet carries over to the (surely inevitable) sequel.

A question about the later parts of the game:

Is there no way to kill Anora? That bitch deserved death after double crossing me twice. I was really hoping for a way to kill her but couldn't find the option. Can she just not be killed?

Somebody please quickly answer this: At Radcliff castle, is it worth
saving Connor by entering into the fade and fighting demon there?
It sounds like big detour. What's the reward for that?

Antagon

MirageDwarf said:

When you go into the fade, theres a possibility to make a pact with the demon. If you do, you can choose between several different rewards, one of them being the Blood Mage specialization.

Alistair won't exactly like it if you sacrifice the arl's wife to get into the fade though, not sure what his reaction will be to killing Conor.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
End spoiler

I don't want to use the POS book as a reference, but Loghain's motives/actions/LOOK seems so different. I didn't buy how he could betray the king so easily considering how loyal he was to Maric. I also didn't buy his daughter either. I expected something like abominations controlling him or a mage blackmailing him or SOMETHING. Maybe there is something and I never saw it due to the choices I made, but I will say again, his actions were incredibly OFF.

I still think you're way too outnumbered throughout the game :(

Antagon said:
When you go into the fade, theres a possibility to make a pact with the demon. If you do, you can choose between several different rewards, one of them being the Blood Mage specialization.

Alistair won't exactly like it if you sacrifice the arl's wife to get into the fade though, not sure what his reaction will be to killing Conor.

Thanks. I guess I'll go then because my character is Elf Mage.

I'm strangely not having tanking issues with Alistair (Hard, PC). He's got the usual threaten and taunt, and he bacame damn good once he got shield wall.

I have however set up morrigan to give him regenerate when his health drops below 90%, and a heal when it drops below 50%.

Shale was the better tank as soon as I got him, but I didn't really find him interesting.

Tokubetsu

Kuro Madoushi said:
End spoiler

I don't want to use the POS book as a reference, but Loghain's motives/actions/LOOK seems so different. I didn't buy how he could betray the king so easily considering how loyal he was to Maric. I also didn't buy his daughter either. I expected something like abominations controlling him or a mage blackmailing him or SOMETHING. Maybe there is something and I never saw it due to the choices I made, but I will say again, his actions were incredibly OFF.

I still think you're way too outnumbered throughout the game :(

Yea, just beat it and this really bugged me as well. They never really explain it as far as I'm concerned.

bjaelke

whatevermort said:
I was planning on having them marry, but used Alistair for the Loghain fight instead of myself. When it was over he killed Loghain, no choice in the matter, and then Anora wouldn't marry him. Ergo, Al was king.
I do love the many different ways that this could play out; it'll be interesting to see how this facet carries over to the (surely inevitable) sequel.
They've actually already announced that they are working on the sequel.

Ceebs

MirageDwarf said:
It's not a very big detour either unless you are doing it the make everyone happy way

You just have 3 very quick fights in there and you are done

Pankaks said:
I'm still thinking about whether to stay a traditional mage or the arcane warrior route. Don't spells cost a ton of mana because of the fatigue? or does that not really come into play?

Arcane Warriors are autoattack bots basically. With combat magic + rock armor + arcane shield and the following AW abilities you have the best defense in the game and decent autoattack damage. You can cast heals and glyphs without putting your swords away, whereas most spells require you do this and hence isn't viable.

You can switch out your swords for a staff, turn your Arcane Warrior stuff off and simply play a normal mage, but seeing as they seem to be the most overpowered class in the game I don't see why you'd want to.

Tokubetsu

For the sequel, it'd be awesome if
You get to play as Morrigan's demon/oldgod baby or maybe have IT become the main villain

bjaelke

Tokubetsu said:
For the sequel, it'd be awesome if
You get to play as Morrigan's demon/oldgod baby or maybe have IT become the main villain
But I never had sex with her and eventually made "The Ultimate Sacrifice" in the end. No baby nor hero for the sequel. And Alistair is a pussy (well actually the opposite given his virgin status).

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Tokubetsu said:
Yea, just beat it and this really bugged me as well. They never really explain it as far as I'm concerned.

Me three. I haven't read The Calling yet, so that might explain
Loghain's
RADICAL personality change, but my advice is that people don't read the books and go into the game without preconceived notions about the characters. The
Loghain
of The Stolen Throne is a cold fish too, but not to the extent of
betraying Cailan and leaving his army (which is Loghain's army too!) on the battlefield to die.

Finished the game on Saturday. Truly epic - my game of the year, unless Assassin's Creed 2 does something amazing. About 80 hours worth of gameplay on hard (360 version). Still need to play through the dwarf, elves, and other human origin stories, as well as the mage/rogue options. So much gameplay left - I really feel as though I got my money's worth.

Taking a break for now though and starting a playthrough of Mass Effect in prep for January's release. ME feels so creaky in comparison to DAO, it's amusing. The dialogue trees are just so shallow in comparison and the loading, gah, the loading (and this is with the game installed in full to the drive). I really hope that ME2 can at least live up to what DAO accomplished in terms of complexity and (relatively) optimized loading times. :)

luxarific said:
Taking a break for now though and starting a playthrough of Mass Effect in prep for January's release. ME feels so creaky in comparison to DAO, it's amusing. The dialogue trees are just so shallow in comparison and the loading, gah, the loading (and this is with the game installed in full to the drive). I really hope that ME2 can at least live up to what DAO accomplished in terms of complexity and (relatively) optimized loading times. :)

I finished my run of Dragon Age - again, probably my game of the year, unless I squint really tightly at Uncharted 2 - and went straight back to finish my second run of Mass Effect, on the backburner for around a year now. But I didn't find the dialogue trees as shallow as you did - I think that the linearity of ME probably shows more, as well as being tied into the morality system, but I don't feel that the conversations suffer that greatly. I think that what ME2 is adding - the ability to interrupt, for one - will make it just as complex, if not still a different sort of system.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
whatevermort said:
I think that what ME2 is adding - the ability to interrupt, for one - will make it just as complex, if not still a different sort of system.

I think I'll have to turn off subtitles for ME2 though - I skipped through a lot of DAO's spoken dialogue by reading the subtitles (the voice acting was great, but it would have added another 10 hours or so to my playthrough if I'd had to listen to everything.)

But if ME2's NPC interpret a skip as an interruption, my Shephard will soon be known as the rudest Spectre in the galaxy. :lol

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Son of Godzilla said:
Is it just me or does the Dragon Blood armor suck ass? Better to keep the chest and throw him in something else than go for the set bonus.

Is there a consensus as to what's the best set of armor? I ended up in Wade's Superior Dragonscale Armor at the end, with Alistair in the Legion of the Dead armor set, and Sten in the Juggernaut set.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
luxarific said:
Finished the game on Saturday. Truly epic - my game of the year, unless Assassin's Creed 2 does something amazing. About 80 hours worth of gameplay on hard (360 version). Still need to play through the dwarf, elves, and other human origin stories, as well as the mage/rogue options. So much gameplay left - I really feel as though I got my money's worth.

Dwarf is awesomeness! My 2nd play through will be as a mage tho.

An evil mage from hell..

But have to disagree about the creaky of ME1. Still holds up very well, and Shepard with a voice really made the dialogue trees a little better imo..

Witty banter in the party is so awesome in DA that it makes for it

kitzkozan

luxarific said:

To be fair,Bioware was still a relatively small developer when they released Mass effect compared to the big boys. :lol Not only that,but they were under the impression that they needed to dumb down console oriented game to the maximum(you ended up with obscene amount of cash,loot,difficulty was minimal,etc).

I am sure Mass effect 2 will be vastly superior from a technical point of view.They have more money injected into Mass effect 2 along with EA Montreal helping them to polish up the game.

Otherwise,the fact that you can interrupt conversations will give it more depth/complexity.

Shouta

luxarific said:
Me three. I haven't read The Calling yet, so that might explain
Loghain's
RADICAL personality change, but my advice is that people don't read the books and go into the game without preconceived notions about the characters. The
Loghain
of The Stolen Throne is a cold fish too, but not to the extent of
betraying Cailan and leaving his army (which is Loghain's army too!) on the battlefield to die.

My take on it is
Loghain's drive to protect the country and paranoid attitude became so much that he eventually took on the country-destroying totalitarian dictator attitude. From what little they say in the game, it looks like he viewed Cailan with contempt because of his childish attitude towards battle. It seemed like he didn't view anyone seriously enough to think that they would be able to protect the country. He has a hatred of the Grey Wardens too but I'm not entirely sure why so though I recall there being something that would hint at it. He had "noble intentions" during the battle of Ostagar too as I recall, because he says he didn't want to sacrifice his troops to save Cailan from his foolish endeavor.

I think my biggest disconnect is at the Landsmeet after you defeat him. He willing accepts death and says he could let the MC take care of the country. What the fuck at that? That was sudden. I did the fight against him as Alistair's champ and then let Alistair do the final blow in my game. Was quite a bloody mess.

Top Bottom