• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Dizzy-4U

This is great...I'm in the middle of "the fade" mission and I ran out of potions. 3 golems at once was kinda insane.

I didn't know it was going to be that long. I'm gonna be a man and not lower the difficulty. Wish me luck.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Psy-Phi said:
There's not a single person in my game that has a constitution above 18. I'm level 16, parties 15/16, warriors have 18. Mages have whatever they started with (my mage has 16 though, due to me being an Arcane Warrior and beatin shit up face to face.

Con doesn't seem that important in this game. It's what I'll dump points into after every char can wear what I want them to wear.

Seems you're too used to playing MMO's where life > all stats? :p

But seriously, the only person that dies in a battle are my rogues. Because my tank is too dumb with the AI only and I get sick of micromanaging the entire thing (love when I see my chars just standing there).

any quick thoughts on Arcane Warrior?
I just started, and I picked an elf magi... but I want to use swords and combat a bit with some armor. Does that what the AW allows? Is it actually a good hybrid class to shoot for?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dizzy-4U said:
This is great...I'm in the middle of "the fade" mission and I ran out of potions. 3 golems at once was kinda insane.

I didn't know it was going to be that long. I'm gonna be a man and not lower the difficulty. Wish me luck.

"Kite" them and use the various forms. The flaming man is pretty fast so depending on the area you should be able to get some distance on your enemies and ambush them with a fireball or some other spell.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
MirageDwarf said:
1. I want some enchanting done.

ENCHANTMENT!

End game spoilers

I like how he is inside Fort Drake just covered in blood and still, all he says is "Enchantment!" ^_^

Actually, did they ever sayif his "dad" died or something?

Zefah said:
"Kite" them and use the various forms. The flaming man is pretty fast so depending on the area you should be able to get some distance on your enemies and ambush them with a fireball or some other spell.

What this guy said, just use keep running around in the pillar using the AOE fire spell directly on top of yourself.

Dipper145

Ventrue said:
Enchantment?
Haha I love that guy. I always go to him just to hear that quote.

One of the other quote's I like is when you get the dog. And Allistar says something like "aww hes not mangy!"

I love so much of the dialogue in this game.

Ploid 3.0

My shale die fast, my Allister is a rock. I have the rock heart line full, and the stone aura line full on shale. I do the taunt + threaten then go to the aura mode and it's cool but he still take more damage than Allister, and he can't use potions in that aura mode.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Zeliard said:
Shale's very effective as a tank when you use him as an off-tank along with someone like Alistair, since Shale has some very useful unique talents like the Stone Aura party buff, which is easier to use when you've also got someone else there tanking.

An off-tank is not a tank, it is just melee dps, which I mentioned. Sure, it has aura buffs... just like seemingly every other class in the game.

Kind of a shame, it has two really good PBAoE attacks, but since they both cause friendly fire it has to be out there by itself to use them... and it isn't a good enough tank to be out there by itself.

Playing through the game, it is fairly obvious Alistair was meant to be the best tank in the game, short of rolling your own.

Dizzy-4U

Zefah said:
Thanks for the tips.

I've been doing that and got me out of trouble a couple of times. I also started using some other potions that gives me more defense and stuff.

I'm a newbie to these type of games and I have the bad habit of always rushing down enemies and never using items (thanks to my jrpg background i guess). Pretty cool to have some challenge.

Wtf all this time I've been playing I thought Leilana would be in the forest, turns out I missed getting her completely. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I explored every bit of that village and chapel and I don't remember seeing her at all.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Confidence Man said:
Wtf all this time I've been playing I thought Leilana would be in the forest, turns out I missed getting her completely. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I explored every bit of that village and chapel and I don't remember seeing her at all.

She is inside the Tavern.....well.....was :(

Started playing this last week and it's been really enjoyable so far. First character was a mage, but I just played through the "tutorial" and about halfway through Redcliffe before I decided that I'd made some silly choices with stat points and rerolled a rogue.

Also, I wasn't expecting the game to supply me with "premade" characters, at least not to the extent of someone like Wynne. Made me pick up some skills that ended up doubled up in the party, while others weren't present at all.

Just completed the Mage Tower (and the
Fade quests
which were almost entirely horrible and shouldn't have been put in the game). Graphics are decent enough (PC), but have some spectacular moments even early on like
crossing the bridge in Ostagar.
Some things I've noticed:

- Alistair should have been given taunt (or at least precise striking so you don't need 2 points for it) from the start. He's still a perfectly serviceable tank without it, but requires a lot more micro to get there.

- The key to pleasing Morrigan seems to be mostly apathy in public, and sweet-nothings in private as long as you aren't condescending. She's the kind of girl who wants you to celebrate her independence and strength, but mostly to distract from her self-consciousness.

- The character approval system is really fun to play with, and they've implemented it really well imo. I took Sten to Redcliffe my first try, and when it was done I lost a whole pile of approval with Alistair for
killing the kid.
Next play through he came along and actually suggested I do it. It pissed me off at first, then I realised it was entirely consistent with his character and it became a positive.

- Any RPG that lets me have a dog is fucking tops. To let me have a dog that looks like my real dog, and let me name him as such, makes it an instant classic. And the event where you get him is really nicely done, and fits well within the context of the story.

- The combat is just so incredibly satisfying in this game. I like RPGs where you can all but completely remove the necessity for any twitch gameplay by being smart and strategic, and DA delivers on that in spades. It is pretty unforgiving with your choices though; the level cap and XP flow means that you don't really have any time to rectify mistakes in the same playthrough that you make them in.

So yeah... I'm loving it! There have been a few seriously memorable moments already, the ending of the mage origin story being a notable example.

And just before I finished my last session Alistair grabbed my hawt elf chick and told her that he's having funny feelings (presumably in his nether-regions) when we "hang out and, like, kill stuff and junk". And she was, like, "oh Ali I like totally like you too or whatevs" and his approval suddenly went to "Interested". My eyebrow is cocked in anticipation of what he'll do when I give him that bottle of booze I was saving.

Finished my first playthrough!

(no spoilers)

All in all, it was pretty good. The main storyline was derivative garbage, but the events surrounding it (the individual situations in each place you visited) were good. It did a decent job with presenting dilemmas and tough decisions for your main character throughout.

I can't say I'm that thrilled with the followers they gave you though, most just feel like wasted space that the game could've done without. Wynne for example had an interesting "problem", though they never really did anything with it, and by the end it's like they forgot she even had it. They should've focused more on fewer characters that were more involved in the storyline, like Alistair. Play Mask of the Betrayer and take note, Bioware.

Also, the loot was terrible, especially with DLC enabled. 99% of the stuff in the game isn't even worth picking up, containers are barely worth checking out since they'll either have an elfroot or a deep mushroom throughout the game. Worthless.

I hope this can spark some new life into the party-based RPG genre though, and I hope that Bioware is eager to license the engine to other devs.

Now I'm looking forward to trying it out with an evil character to see how they handle that.

Just got this game yesterday. Playing through all 6 origin stories first and then picking my favorite I'm about halfway done with that process and so far my old dwarf noble warrior is my favorite story. Still got three characters to play. I'm very excited, I've been waiting for this game for years!

Tokubetsu

Danne-Danger said:

(no spoilers)

All in all, it was pretty good. The main storyline was derivative garbage, but the events surrounding it (the individual situations in each place you visited) were good. It did a decent job with presenting dilemmas and tough decisions for your main character throughout.

I can't say I'm that thrilled with the followers they gave you though, most just feel like wasted space that the game could've done without. Wynne for example had an interesting "problem", though they never really did anything with it, and by the end it's like they forgot she even had it. They should've focused more on fewer characters that were more involved in the storyline, like Alistair. Play Mask of the Betrayer and take note, Bioware.

Also, the loot was terrible, especially with DLC enabled. 99% of the stuff in the game isn't even worth picking up, containers are barely worth checking out since they'll either have an elfroot or a deep mushroom throughout the game. Worthless.

I hope this can spark some new life into the party-based RPG genre though, and I hope that Bioware is eager to license the engine to other devs.

Now I'm looking forward to trying it out with an evil character to see how they handle that.

It's such a fucking shame that majority of the players who experience this will never get to play MoTB. It's worth it alone to just sit and talk to some of the character in it, especially Kaelyn the Dove. I don't think I've ever just loved a character in a video game as much as I did her. I would talk to her after every major event just hoping for some more of her backstory. It was like that with Gan as well.

Danne-Danger said:

(no spoilers)

Welcome to just about every Bioware game ever made.

laserbeam

Banned
End Game Spoiler
So i totally drove Alister out at the Landsmeet siding with the Queen since he was a bitch and wouldnt marry her. Kinda funny having Lohgain become a Grey Warden though.

RPGCrazied

any word on any new upcoming dlc? please tell me wardens keep is all we get. I love this game, even the 360 version... I play it way to much.. halfway thru 2nd playthru. I'm bein an evil bastard this game. :)

Bioware, please dont pull a mass effect on us.. and give us tiny dlc

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think I just got friend-zoned by leliana...I tried to be smooth with her at camp, and then we just started talking about shoes the rest of the night :,(

Pancakes

laserbeam said:
End Game Spoiler
So i totally drove Alister out at the Landsmeet siding with the Queen since he was a bitch and wouldnt marry her. Kinda funny having Lohgain become a Grey Warden though.

I did the same thing, I honestly didn't think he would be such a little bitch about it :lol

Need some help with the Alienage quest

I went down and killed that Mage Slaver, took the letter from his dead body, and the mission long says it's still active and my next course is to seek evidence. what? I talk to Shanni and it won't go into a dialogue screen. I talk to the old man, he speaks of Duncan and gives me a dagger. Do I go to Eammon?

Tokubetsu

Linkzg said:
Need some help with the Alienage quest

I went down and killed that Mage Slaver, took the letter from his dead body, and the mission long says it's still active and my next course is to seek evidence. what? I talk to Shanni and it won't go into a dialogue screen. I talk to the old man, he speaks of Duncan and gives me a dagger. Do I go to Eammon?

Yes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pankaks said:
I did the same thing, I honestly didn't think he would be such a little bitch about it :lol

It was clear that they were trying to replicate Mass Effect there... except it kind of fell a bit short.

Stallion Free said:
Has anyone tried out the PC Gamer campaign? A Tale of Orzammar? It says created by BioWare but I'm wondering if I should bother.

Oh right, that was their disc based exclusive. Yeah, I'm kind of curious if it has any production values or if it's just pure text?

Tokubetsu

firehawk12 said:
It was clear that they were trying to replicate Mass Effect there... except it kind of fell a bit short.

Oh right, that was their disc based exclusive. Yeah, I'm kind of curious if it has any production values or if it's just pure text?

Except I had no problem with ME's twist there. In fact, I was glad.
Fuck Wrex

Sober

mattiewheels said:
I think I just got friend-zoned by leliana...I tried to be smooth with her at camp, and then we just started talking about shoes the rest of the night :,(
wow, same here, although apparently a friend of mine told me she eventually opens up, but she's at +100 approval damnit, what else do I need to do?! I even
got her that stupid nug

jim-jam bongs said:
- The character approval system is really fun to play with, and they've implemented it really well imo. I took Sten to Redcliffe my first try, and when it was done I lost a whole pile of approval with Alistair for
killing the kid.
Next play through he came along and actually suggested I do it. It pissed me off at first, then I realised it was entirely consistent with his character and it became a positive.
I was really just shocked they even had lines where people yelled at you. I was expecting some half-hearted boring lecture about what I did but holy crap, Alistar flipped out back in camp when I
convinced the queen to sacrifice herself for her kid

JESUS MOTHERFUCKING CHRIST!!!!!

Sometimes you want to finish something fast and motherfucking 7-8 hrs sidetrack ruins everything. Should have done this circle of magi quest and fade bullshit first. I didn't know. All I wanted to do is save Connor. This shit doesn't fucking end.

MirageDwarf said:

Sometimes you want to finish something fast and motherfucking 7-8 hrs sidetrack ruins everything. Should have done this circle of magi quest and fade bullshit first. I didn't know. All I wanted to do is save Connor. This shit doesn't fucking end.

lol

Have you done Orzammar already? I thought that was even worse than the Magi Quest.

Dedalus

fizzelopeguss said:
Any tips for an arcane warrior, thinking of making one for a third playthrough.
So far I have been pumping points into Magic and Willpower, however I completely neglected Dexterity, meaning I miss a lot of my melee swings. If I had the opportunity to respec I would definitely prioritise Dex over Magic, simply because there's no point being an arcane warrior if you can't hit anything with your new red steel! Willpower is important because once you turn on your mage shield it will drain your mana pretty quickly. I'm tempted to combine arcane warrior with blood mage for the "extra" mana pool (it uses your health instead of mana), not sure if that's the best option though, and might need a rethink of my stat points (ie. more constitution instead of willpower).

ksamedi

I spent all my points toward shape shifting with Morrigan but I'm disappointed in the shape shifting abilities. Are there any strategies to make shape shifting a decent skill? The mage class is so powerfull that it makes shape shifting practically useless, unless I'm missing something here.

Zzoram

MirageDwarf said:

I think doing Circle of Magi first makes the game easier due to all the permanent stat point bonuses.

orion434

I'm having some problems with Romancing Morrigan so I'll post what has happened and if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated. BTW I'm a male and trying to Romance Morrigan and Leliana in the same playthrough.

I'm trying to Romance Morrigan, at the moment I have an approval rating ~ 80% and I killed Flemeth and got Flemeth's Grimore and at the same time my approval rating with Leliana is ~ 90% and I started the "Let's be more than friends" with both of them. Now when I talk to Morrigan she brings up my "affections" for Leliana. My major concern as a Male is to get with Morrigan because when I play as a Female I can get with Leliana if all else fails. Am I screwed with Morrigan?

orion434

Son of Godzilla said:
So sick of this, does anyone have a list of all the backpacks? I've only gotten like two or three and... well, it sucks.

Circle Tower - Quatermaster
Dalish Camp - Varathorn's Goods
Denerim Market - Gorim after Landsmeet
Ostagar - Quatermaster
Party Camp - Bodahn's Wares

Doytch

Ending spoilers

I saw someone else get the same bug I did. I picked my char and Alistair as king and queen, and Alistair sliced Loghain's face off. Then in the courtyard, a "ghost" Loghain was talking to me (his model wasn't there), and in the ending at the throne room, he's there just chillin and talking to me about how he's gonna lead Grey Warden recruitment. Fuck that noise I wanted that asshole dead.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Zzoram said:
I think doing Circle of Magi first makes the game easier due to all the permanent stat point bonuses.

Yeah, there pretty much is no reason to not do Circle of Magi first in the game unless you want to pick up Shale.

rayner said:
I'm having some problems with Romancing Morrigan so I'll post what has happened and if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated. BTW I'm a male and trying to Romance Morrigan and Leliana in the same playthrough.

I'm trying to Romance Morrigan, at the moment I have an approval rating ~ 80% and I killed Flemeth and got Flemeth's Grimore and at the same time my approval rating with Leliana is ~ 90% and I started the "Let's be more than friends" with both of them. Now when I talk to Morrigan she brings up my "affections" for Leliana. My major concern as a Male is to get with Morrigan because when I play as a Female I can get with Leliana if all else fails. Am I screwed with Morrigan?

I believe if your approval with Morrigan is too high, she'll make you be monogamous.

Dunlop

I've been having issues where my melee party members just disengage from the fight or just stand there even though they are being hit.

any good site for tactics and how to unretard party members? I almost destroyed my PC in rage with Leliana as no matter how I configured her she woud pull some stupid move and get dead fast...she has since been removed

orion434

firehawk12 said:
I believe if your approval with Morrigan is too high, she'll make you be monogamous.

Should I keep it around 60% then? I can call her a selfish bitch for not teaching me shapeshifting ( I'm a Warrior ) and it's -15% I'm just concerned if I went to a "point beyond return" and I'll reload a previous save.

Picked the game up a few days ago. I've only put a couple of hours into it, but I'm really enjoying it so far. Picked a human noble, rogue with a penchant for bows as my first play through. Having a distance fighter made all the difference in some of the earlier conflicts.

Just beat the first boss,
ogre
. Having the game give me
a mage
for that section made even more of a difference than my archer, even though it was my hound that actually survived the battle.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
rayner said:
Should I keep it around 60% then? I can call her a selfish bitch for not teaching me shapeshifting ( I'm a Warrior ) and it's -15% I'm just concerned if I went to a "point beyond return" and I'll reload a previous save.

I've never tried it with Morrigan, so I can't tell. The only time I had to do something like that is with Leliana, because her relationship is bugged. But it can't hurt? And if you haven't used the two unique objects you can give her, you should be able to make up the points pretty quickly.

Zalasta

Dunlop said:
I've been having issues where my melee party members just disengage from the fight or just stand there even though they are being hit.

I'm not completely sure about this but you may want to put them on "aggressive" in upper right hand corner of the tactics menu. It seems that in the passive mode, they take action according to what the controlled character is doing. So they will only initiate to attack if you yourself is attacking as well.

Dunlop

Best part about "going all the way" with Morrigan

Morrigan suddenly wearing a bra that is less revealing that her normal outfit (did she go in the tent and change first?) and of course seeing yourself in a thong...so stupid

Woo-Fu

Banned
Morrigan won't sleep with you if her approval rating is 100/Love. She doesn't want a relationship, she wants something casual.

orion434

firehawk12 said:
I've never tried it with Morrigan, so I can't tell. The only time I had to do something like that is with Leliana, because her relationship is bugged. But it can't hurt? And if you haven't used the two unique objects you can give her, you should be able to make up the points pretty quickly.

I have a few gifts to give Morrigan... been keeping them aside because I've heard of her being "too much in love with you" to sleep with you. I haven't gotten that response yet... but now whenever I talk to her I have to take this conversation. It starts something like "You've had a smile on your face all morning" and if I want to talk to Morrigan I have to get through this conversation first. Wynne has also commented on my relationship with Leliana... don't tell me the old-bag wants it too?

Woo-Fu said:
Morrigan won't sleep with you if her approval rating is 100/Love. She doesn't want a relationship, she wants something casual.

It's not like that... I have ~80% it's not in the white-part yet... I'm just worried that she won't get cozy with me if I'm involved with Leliana.

Woo-Fu

Banned
if you're romancing two at once you will get to a decision point where you have to drop one or the other. I'd try the dialog again, surely one of the choices involves dumping somebody.

Top Bottom