• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

firehawk12

Subete no aware
rayner said:
I have a few gifts to give Morrigan... been keeping them aside because I've heard of her being "too much in love with you" to sleep with you. I haven't gotten that response yet... but now whenever I talk to her I have to take this conversation. It starts something like "You've had a smile on your face all morning" and if I want to talk to Morrigan I have to get through this conversation first. Wynne has also commented on my relationship with Leliana... don't tell me the old-bag wants it too?

I do remember that both Morrigan and Wynne will comment on your relationship with Leliana casually. Morrigan will do that "yuck, get a room already" thing while Wynne will tell you that it is irresponsible to have a relationship given the current situation - a little foreshadowing, I suppose.
For Morrigan, I believe it's just an extra out of sequence piece of dialog not related to her romance line though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Woo-Fu said:
if you're romancing two at once you will get to a decision point where you have to drop one or the other. I'd try the dialog again, surely one of the choices involves dumping somebody.

If you just ignore them after you finish their relationship quest off, you can pretty much stick with all three. They probably should have had a forced confrontation after you "cheat" on someone like in Mass Effect. :lol

orion434

firehawk12 said:
I do remember that both Morrigan and Wynne will comment on your relationship with Leliana casually. Morrigan will do that "yuck, get a room already" thing while Wynne will tell you that it is irresponsible to have a relationship given the current situation - a little foreshadowing, I suppose.
For Morrigan, I believe it's just an extra out of sequence piece of dialog not related to her romance line though.

Perhaps, I mean I haven't slept with either yet, I'm at the "Kiss Leliana" option with her but I haven't yet, that's why it's strange... because Morrigan is commenting on something that hasn't happened yet. I've been doing things out of sequence this whole game... I actually got the Ashes before going to Redcliff...

LiK

anyone visit Wade's Emporium in Denerim? funniest NPC banter imo. love those guys and the sidequests they give out are quite rewarding. :D

i wish they were a larger part of the story so there would be more of their banter. :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
rayner said:
Perhaps, I mean I haven't slept with either yet, I'm at the "Kiss Leliana" option with her but I haven't yet, that's why it's strange... because Morrigan is commenting on something that hasn't happened yet. I've been doing things out of sequence this whole game... I actually got the Ashes before going to Redcliff...

So did I. It's actually quite funny if you do the Ashes first, since they're like, "WHAAAT?!?!?!".

I don't believe you can close off Morrigan early on though. But anyway, Leliana gives you one chance to lie to/two-time her, so you might just try maxing Morrigan out first. Worst case scenario, just save before and try it out.

Oh, one thing to note is that if you max out your relationship with Leliana and she is in "love" (not friendship), you don't have to initiate the "sex" scene. When you talk to her, she'll bring it up herself, bypassing any "it's me or her" dialog scene. That's one way to avoid troubles as well.
(It's similar to her bard sequence after you finish the Dalish elves quest).

orion434

firehawk12 said:
So did I. It's actually quite funny if you do the Ashes first, since they're like, "WHAAAT?!?!?!".

I don't believe you can close off Morrigan early on though. But anyway, Leliana gives you one chance to lie to/two-time her, so you might just try maxing Morrigan out first. Worst case scenario, just save before and try it out.

Oh, one thing to note is that if you max out your relationship with Leliana and she is in "love" (not friendship), you don't have to initiate the "sex" scene. When you talk to her, she'll bring it up herself, bypassing any "it's me or her" dialog scene. That's one way to avoid troubles as well.
(It's similar to her bard sequence after you finish the Dalish elves quest).

I'll play though a little more of the story to advance the party conversations, and hopefully I can get Morrigan to come around. I'm going to concentrate on that first and foremost, as I have a save where I can probably just butter-up Leliana and sleep with her. This first playthrough is a bit on the difficult side, well in choosing party members, it's like they want you to use Wynne for the healing, but I need Leliana to open chests, and I'm an Archer and I need Alistair as the tank. Where can Morrigan learn Spirit Healer? Wynne seems to not be able to teach it to your party.

Doytch

rayner said:
I'll play though a little more of the story to advance the party conversations, and hopefully I can get Morrigan to come around. I'm going to concentrate on that first and foremost, as I have a save where I can probably just butter-up Leliana and sleep with her. This first playthrough is a bit on the difficult side, well in choosing party members, it's like they want you to use Wynne for the healing, but I need Leliana to open chests, and I'm an Archer and I need Alistair as the tank. Where can Morrigan learn Spirit Healer? Wynne seems to not be able to teach it to your party.
Someone in Denerim sells it - Mage store probably. Since you're playing archer, I highly suggest the dexterity hotfix if you're not already. Definitely fixes the class.

Doytch said:
Someone in Denerim sells it - Mage store probably. Since you're playing archer, I highly suggest the dexterity hotfix if you're not already. Definitely fixes the class.
What's this? I'm playing as an Archer as well, so it'd probably be helpful in the long run.

orion434

Doytch said:

I've just read on forums and such that the manual is sold in Denerim "after the Landsmeet" which seems too far into the game for me.

Yeah and what's this "dexterity hotfix"?

LiK said:
anyone visit Wade's Emporium in Denerim? funniest NPC banter imo. love those guys and the sidequests they give out are quite rewarding. :D

I have 2 pair of Drakescale Armor... one regular and one "Superior" It works really well when I'm an Archer and Leliana is the Rogue and the lower Strength req.

LiK

rayner said:
I have 2 pair of Drakescale Armor... one regular and one "Superior" It works really well when I'm an Archer and Leliana is the Rogue and the lower Strength req.

hohoho, me too but there's more.
give Wade the Dragon Scale and he'll make his best armor set. it's pretty badass. :D it doesn't seem like he'll make it until he made the Drakescale pieces first. i didn't expect it, good thing i tried. :)

orion434

LiK said:
hohoho, me too but there's more.
give Wade the Dragon Scale and he'll make his best armor set. it's pretty badass. :D it doesn't seem like he'll make it until he made the Drakescale pieces first. i didn't expect it, good thing i tried. :)

I don't have any of those scales yet... does it look cool? At first I had a problem getting coin, but once I made it to Denerim and started taking on all sorts of side-quests I'm fully loaded. Basically if loot doesn't have a "Geeen" modifier I sell it to raise my funds, I just wish it wasn't so expensive to craft in this game.

LiK

rayner said:
I don't have any of those scales yet... does it look cool? At first I had a problem getting coin, but once I made it to Denerim and started taking on all sorts of side-quests I'm fully loaded. Basically if loot doesn't have a "Geeen" modifier I sell it to raise my funds, I just wish it wasn't so expensive to craft in this game.

ohhhh, don't worry about that.
you don't need to worry about money. Wade will make it for free AND there's no wait time. plus, you can choose what type of armor you want, light, medium or heavy. pretty sweet. the armor looks alright, more practical than cool looking. he won't make anymore armor for you after this.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Doytch said:
Ending spoilers

I saw someone else get the same bug I did. I picked my char and Alistair as king and queen, and Alistair sliced Loghain's face off. Then in the courtyard, a "ghost" Loghain was talking to me (his model wasn't there), and in the ending at the throne room, he's there just chillin and talking to me about how he's gonna lead Grey Warden recruitment. Fuck that noise I wanted that asshole dead.

You think that's bad?

More Endgame spoilers

My entire ending was a fucking train wreck. I sacrificed myself and during my funeral when the queen is talking about how awesome I was, NO ONE HAD BODIES, they were all just floating heads without hair or eyes. Besides it being creepy, it completely ruined the tone the ending was trying to set since I was laughing my ass off. Thank god for the still image epilogue. Hopefully, it doesn't happen again.

One funny conversation between Alistair and Morrigan lead to this, in no exact words:

Morrigan: If I want to suck anything of you, you'd know.
Alistair: Uh...I didn't mean that.

:lol.

orion434

LiK said:
ohhhh, don't worry about that.
you don't need to worry about money. Wade will make it for free AND there's no wait time. plus, you can choose what type of armor you want, light, medium or heavy. pretty sweet. the armor looks alright, more practical than cool looking. he won't make anymore armor for you after this.

Cool, I have Master Archery, so I can use up to Heavy Armor without penality to fire-rate. I will assume that later in the game Alistair will have some really good Massive Armor to use and I'll give my Superior Drakescale to Leliana. Morrigan looks rather silly because all her armor pieces are from different sets... it's hard to outfit a mage too look cool in this game.

LiK

rayner said:
Cool, I have Master Archery, so I can use up to Heavy Armor without penality to fire-rate. I will assume that later in the game Alistair will have some really good Massive Armor to use and I'll give my Superior Drakescale to Leliana. Morrigan looks rather silly because all her armor pieces are from different sets... it's hard to outfit a mage too look cool in this game.

yea, pretty sweet rewards with funny characters. well worth it.

bengraven

LiK said:

i wish they were a larger part of the story so there would be more of their banter. :)

They are so gay. :lol

bengraven

I have Morrigan at 100%. I'm in Orz, haven't done Circle yet, haven't finished Redcliffe yet (because I have to go to the Circle, playing an aggressive good guy to keep Morrigan interested), haven't even started the Dalish quests (though I fucked that redheaded elf girl instead of convincing her to marry her hunter boyfriend) so I frankly have a lot of game left.

Thinking of putting Morrigan to the side to start romancing Leilana through story segments and gifts. Just to see if I can get some without ruining my Morrigan romance completely.

Woo-Fu said:
Morrigan won't sleep with you if her approval rating is 100/Love. She doesn't want a relationship, she wants something casual.

That's not true, I'm at 100% and she'll take me in her tent every time.

bengraven

LiK said:

I'm waiting for the Chantry to show up and be like "two men, very flamboyant, living together just a block from our chantry!? We'll make an example of you!"

Then we see them both strung up.

:( =/= :lol

Doytch

Dexterity Hotfix: http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/hotfix/dexterity_hotfix_101

There was a discussion on the forums with the dev, but they're borked right now... If they come back, here's the link.

I hope we get to find/ride some Griffons. All the lore about them has me wanting to see them on screen.
I love when Wynne is telling the story about the Grey Wardens, and you have the option of asking "Are there Griffons in the story?" and "Griffons?" multiple times. I picked those. :lol

orion434

Doytch said:
Dexterity Hotfix: http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/hotfix/dexterity_hotfix_101

There was a discussion on the forums with the dev, but they're borked right now... If they come back, here's the link.

I love when Wynne is telling the story about the Grey Wardens, and you have the option of asking "Are there Griffons in the story?" and "Griffons?" multiple times. I picked those. :lol

Does that apply to the console version? There haven't been any update in LIVE when I first poped in the disk.

Doytch

rayner said:
Does that apply to the console version? There haven't been any update in LIVE when I first poped in the disk.
Oh, nope. It's a set of fixes that the dev in charge of the game system has been plugging away at. It's not an official release yet or anything, so it'll have to get finalized->cert'd and all that jazz for consoles.

And apparently they took down the Bioware DA forums, to force people over to the Social forums. Which suck in comparison. Boo.

Mojojo

Finished my first playthrough, arcane warrior, 60 hours playtime! Really great game beside some flaws : mostly gameplay, i actually prefered the D&D system from BG, it offered more class options. Foremost they need to change the 'only rogues can pick locks' : mages need a knock spell or at least non rogues should be able to bash them with a risk to destroy some items in it ; but really it's the awesome voicework and dialog options that makes the game shines and compelling; i enjoyed the dialog between the party teammembers most.

Got a question about a small quest/event
the wounded halla in the dalish camp
, that needs a survival check for success. Does it have to be the main char with the skill or any party member with survival will make it work?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Doytch said:

Yeah, I did that too. :lol Love, love, love the conversations. I hope you can be as obnoxious in ME2.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
ElectricBlue187 said:
WTF is this social network crap, does EA really think it can catch on this late in the game?

It's actually cool, when it works. I can see it being a lot of fun if they link all their games to it. Would be neat to see my various Shepards alongside my DAO characters.

Mojojo said:
Finished my first playthrough, arcane warrior, 60 hours playtime! Really great game beside some flaws : mostly gameplay, i actually prefered the D&D system from BG, it offered more class options. Foremost they need to change the 'only rogues can pick locks' : mages need a knock spell or at least non rogues should be able to bash them with a risk to destroy some items in it
I wanted a knock spell at first too, but then I realized that with the way mages are "balanced" it would eliminate any need to use any other class. If you could use mages exclusively that is.

I do agree with the BG2 D&D stuff being superior though. More options and many more unique spells and abilities (though a few were useless). Made it feel more like a real world than a game. The problem there was that you didn't really get many options to customize your character other than through what gear you used (and the initial stats). The epic abilities fixed that somewhat, but you're still pretty much set down a linear path depending on the class-kit you chose. I also prefer that system over the 3.whatever editions used in IWD2 and NWN, though I'm not really sure why. :p

Woo-Fu

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
I wanted a knock spell at first too, but then I realized that with the way mages are "balanced" it would eliminate any need to use any other class. If you could use mages exclusively that is.

You already can. There is nothing "required" that can only be found in a chest or behind a door that can only be picked by a rogue.

In d&d, mages get knock and warriors get bash. On the other hand the rogue gets magic item use. Mages can start knocking in Dragon Age when rogues get wands of fireball. :)

If I were to complain about the new system, I think my biggest complaint would be splitting Intelligence into Magic and Cunning.

Dorrin

I've been playing a Human warrior, up to almost level 8 now. For the most part I've been putting almost all of my points into STR with some here and there in Cunning and CON. I'm not sure if I've put any points into Dex yet. Am I going to completely gimp myself if I mostly ignore dexterity with 2H weapons?

Woo-Fu said:
if you're romancing two at once you will get to a decision point where you have to drop one or the other. I'd try the dialog again, surely one of the choices involves dumping somebody.

I got Leliana up to 100 way too quick and it blow pass certain point to trigger quest line plot and all she want is to spend the rest of her life with me but no sex! Anyway, I didn't get anywhere with Morrigan so I kinda left her be as she seems to be piss off about everything I said then I gave her this one gift and she was all excited. I got into a sack with her but after that she kept bringing up Leliana (it's funny listen to the banter between them during over the bridge walk).

I broke it off with Leliana and she was sad but then it put me back where the sex option is available again. I got her quest to trigger and then she offer me to get into her tent. She never bring up Morrigan and didn't seems to care. As for Morrigan, it seems if you broke it off with Leliana , she stop pestering you about it.

So now I have both of them.

It seems there's a trigger point and if you get their approval up too fast it close off certain dialogs that lead to the sex scene.

Dizzy-4U

Should I consider killing
Flemeth
? I don't care about the loot I might get, but since my character is basically a saint, I'm getting the feeling that bad thing will happen if
I kill her =/
(storywise I mean).

Decisions, decisions.....

Also, I'm in love with Leliana's voice. I can listen to her talking about shoes all day if she wants.

Zalasta

Dorrin said:
I've been playing a Human warrior, up to almost level 8 now. For the most part I've been putting almost all of my points into STR with some here and there in Cunning and CON. I'm not sure if I've put any points into Dex yet. Am I going to completely gimp myself if I mostly ignore dexterity with 2H weapons?

Well, it just means you'll hit harder but miss more often, since Dexterity determines your accuracy (also means you won't be dodging many attacks either).

Dizzy-4U said:
Flemeth
?

As I recall, there is no loot worth mentioning.

I hope DA2 will let you pursue anyone in your party regardless of your gender. I don't really care if it leads to anything or just a one-night stand, but imagine the hilarity with Wynne, Shale and Sten (I know the dialogue tree made suggestions towards Oghren and Alister, but nothing beyond that).

orion434

Dizzy-4U said:
Flemeth
? I don't care about the loot I might get, but since my character is basically a saint, I'm getting the feeling that bad thing will happen if
I kill her =/
(storywise I mean).

Decisions, decisions.....

Also, I'm in love with Leliana's voice. I can listen to her talking about shoes all day if she wants.

If you are a Male and want to sleep with Morrigan then you may have to reconsider I believe it's required.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Both strength and dexterity raise your accuracy. You don't need to pump dex at all. Its not an average or anything, its just added together I believe.

So a character with 80 strength and 0 dex has the same accuracy as someone with 40 strength and 40 dex.

For a 2 handed warrior, the only thing dex gives you is defense.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
rayner said:
If you are a Male and want to sleep with Morrigan then you may have to reconsider I believe it's required.

If your
coercion
stat is maxed out you can
lie to Morrigan and she'll believe you and you can sleep with her, etc. (this is Flemeth's idea, of course - she even gives you the Black Grimoire and Morrigan's enchanced clothing)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Am I the only one who killed
Zevran
(first third of the game roughly)?
Didn't even know he could join your party since I've been staying away from most spoilers/discussion. Not even playing as a bad dude but I was just like meh you try to kill me, goodnight. I ran into him really early too, pretty much right after Redcliffe and before visiting the Elves or really doing anything else.

LiK

luxarific said:
If your
coercion
lie to Morrigan and she'll believe you and you can sleep with her, etc. (this is Flemeth's idea, of course - she even gives you the Black Grimoire and Morrigan's enchanced clothing)

i killed Flemeth. when i had Wynne in my party, she didn't approved the lying thing. but i guess iw anted the EXP too, heh.

orion434

luxarific said:
If your
coercion

Yeah that is true... I tried with Coercion 3 and failed... would Morrigan eventually find out you lied?

MattyH

are you allowed to continue with the game once youve completed it or does it end like fallout 3 used to before broken steel?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
AstroLad said:
Am I the only one who killed
Zevran
(first third of the game roughly)?
Didn't even know he could join your party since I've been staying away from most spoilers/discussion. Not even playing as a bad dude but I was just like meh you try to kill me, goodnight. I ran into him really early too, pretty much right after Redcliffe and before visiting the Elves or really doing anything else.

Nope. I barely made it through that fight because I kept getting stunned and bombarded with arrows. I iced that motherfucker, after he told me all he knew >:).

MattyH said:
are you allowed to continue with the game once youve completed it or does it end like fallout 3 used to before broken steel?

From what I've heard, you can only visit the DLC areas :(.

Top Bottom