• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Pankaks said:
Nope. I barely made it through that fight because I kept getting stunned and bombarded with arrows. I iced that motherfucker, after he told me all he knew >:).
:lol yeah I didn't even talk to him. I think once I got him down I killed him at the very first option.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Doytch said:
Someone in Denerim sells it - Mage store probably. Since you're playing archer, I highly suggest the dexterity hotfix if you're not already. Definitely fixes the class.

Wynne teaches it to you as well though, I think?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh yeah, totally stupid question... but does anyone in the game actually say "Truly, this is the age of dragons?" I don't think I heard that line anywhere. :lol

markatisu

Tom Penny said:
Not having Wynne sure is a biatch trying to kill Flemeth. I think I'm screwed one until later.

Yup, only way I beat Flemeth was with Wynne, tried all sorts of combinations and could not do it. But having Shale pound on her close and Wynne nail her from afar seemed to work fine.

But storywise it doesn't make a difference if I kill her or not, right?

It's much more fun to kill her

AndyD

aka andydumi
firehawk12 said:
Oh yeah, totally stupid question... but does anyone in the game actually say "Truly, this is the age of dragons?" I don't think I heard that line anywhere. :lol

They do talk about it at some point that I ran into, they explain what the ages are and why this one is called the dragon age. But I dont think that exact line is in that I rememebr.

Arde5643

Respecced my characters (via the respec potion mod) and tried the broken tactic of the game:

fighter goes towards enemies, pulling aggro -> taunt -> mage casts force field -> all enemies now try to hit the un-moving fighter -> storm of the century where fighter is.

So very very broken and I can see how having 2 mages in the team is a potential for some really bad broken design. It makes the game dull since taunt->force field works on any level of enemy due to the stupid AI design.

So I respecced again - respecced Morrigan to be an offensive caster with only cone of cold as the crowd control spell. It's working out pretty nicely so far.
It made for a far more traditional RPG game where the mage holds all the most offensive options but require the fighters and rogues to hold down the enemies while she casts storm of the century on the unsuspecting mob.
I still do the usual taunt to group the enemies together for the spell effect, but instead of using force field I use anti-magic ward (it's like a much shorter version of force field and doesn't protect you from physical attacks).
So far it forces my party (PC d/w duelist rogue, templar tank Alistair, bard archer Leliana, offensive mage Morrigan) to use all bag of tricks and items to beat the difficult battles in the game.

It really made the game much more fun this way - the joys of seeing a rogue throw out 2 bombs on a group of enemies before backstabbing the mage, have Leliana do scattershot, Morrigan does blizzard, and then having Alistair the tank go up to the enemy mages to cleanse magic with anti magic ward is fucking awesome.

It really is a much harder to earn fight but it's really cool seeing how useful the items crafted throughout the game are (rock salve, various bombs, various poisons, cold resistance salve).

So to all those who say mages are too easy to use, yeah, the broken game design makes it possible so don't combine the broken spells since it will just make your gameplay experience very boring.

Is there a mod to unlock all the specializations? I happened to miss the blood mage unlock and wanted to get it as my second specialization.

Arde5643

RoodyPooUS said:
Is there a mod to unlock all the specializations? I happened to miss the blood mage unlock and wanted to get it as my second specialization.
Download the respec mod - it allows you to open up the specializations as well.

Wrekt

Arde5643 said:
Download the respec mod - it allows you to open up the specializations as well.
Can you unlock Blood Mage if your main char isn't a Mage? I downloaded the respec mod when I found out where you learn it. Now when I look in the eyes of the raven, it only offers Shapeshifting and Master Healer.

LiK

FYI, for that Flemeth sidequest:
whether you killed Flemeth or lied to Morrigan, the codex only says you "dealt with Flemeth". i checked both ways.

I made a black human character and both of my parents were white :lol
is this because I turned a white male preset black? Are they still white if I use a black preset character?

Durante

There's now a Dragon Age Nexus site up for mods. People into modding Bethesda's games probably know tesnexus and fallout3nexus, they're the primary mod repositories for their respective games these days.

Ploid 3.0

ElectricBlue187 said:
I made a black human character and both of my parents were white :lol
is this because I turned a white male preset black? Are they still white if I use a black preset character?

Yeah, same here. Bah, I'm surprised they didn't generate the parents based on your character's genes like Fallout 3. I kept thinking, "I'm adopted, of course you don't want me to come with you. I bet my brother is white that's why he's going."

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ploid 3.0 said:
Yeah, same here. Bah, I'm surprised they didn't generate the parents based on your character's genes like Fallout 3. I kept thinking, "I'm adopted, of course you don't want me to come with you. I bet my brother is white that's why he's going."

Well, everyone in Fereldan seems to be white - even the elves and dwarves. It's one of my pet peeves with Fantasy settings, to be honest.

AndyD said:
They do talk about it at some point that I ran into, they explain what the ages are and why this one is called the dragon age. But I dont think that exact line is in that I rememebr.

Yeah, I do remember that... just don't remember hearing the line in the trailer. The game really doesn't do much with the whole "Dragon" thing other than the fact that you have to kill them.

Dorrin

Question for those of you using the 360 version.

Are any of you finding the auto walking to be annoying? I find when I'm fighting that I push up with the stick to close this distance, hit A to begin combat my main will take a swing at him then break off immediately and continue walking forward.

Otheradam

Arde5643 said:
Respecced my characters (via the respec potion mod) and tried the broken tactic of the game:

fighter goes towards enemies, pulling aggro -> taunt -> mage casts force field -> all enemies now try to hit the un-moving fighter -> storm of the century where fighter is.

So very very broken and I can see how having 2 mages in the team is a potential for some really bad broken design. It makes the game dull since taunt->force field works on any level of enemy due to the stupid AI design.

I remember Bauldur's Gate having the same issue with being able to exploit spells and stuff.

Fredescu

Doytch said:
Isn't Taunt a one-target spell?
No, it's AE.

Arde5643 said:
So to all those who say mages are too easy to use, yeah, the broken game design makes it possible so don't combine the broken spells since it will just make your gameplay experience very boring.
I agree with this in general. It took me a little while to realise that enemies in groups aren't linked, so in a lot of situations you can peel off individual enemies from their groups if you're cautious. I started doing this, but found it boring and slow. I went back to just running in and agroing everything and it was fun again.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Dorrin said:

Are any of you finding the auto walking to be annoying? I find when I'm fighting that I push up with the stick to close this distance, hit A to begin combat my main will take a swing at him then break off immediately and continue walking forward.

I didn't experience autowalking. Are you using an older controller or have you tried using a different controller? I wonder if the joystick might be getting stuck in the forward movement direction.

I have a tendency to get carried away and spam A, however, so it might be happening and I'm just not seeing it since I'm pressing A multiple times.

Arde5643

Doytch said:
Isn't Taunt a one-target spell? Won't you draw aggro from every other mob in the area?
....Yeah, taunt is an AOE aggro spell and it always works regardless.

Hence why taunt -> force field -> storm of the century/any big offensive spell is a stupid broken tactic of the game.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
rayner said:
Yeah that is true... I tried with Coercion 3 and failed... would Morrigan eventually find out you lied?

I expected there to be some mention of the fact that I'd lied in my ending wrap-up, but the narrator just said that Morrigan
had slipped away ("perhaps with child" - even though I refused her offer of pre-endgame nooky). Flemeth was never mentioned.

Would be cool to have some post-ending DLC focusing on what happened with Morrigan.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i like the decision-making a lot. after the redcliffe castle quest, i chose to
make a deal with the demon, so that everyone's happy at the moment, and the demon will repossess the boy years later.it's a really complex decision there. i feel guilty, the family is calling me a savior, and there's just something really satisfying about the ambiguity of the choice.

Arde5643

Wrekt said:
Can you unlock Blood Mage if your main char isn't a Mage? I downloaded the respec mod when I found out where you learn it. Now when I look in the eyes of the raven, it only offers Shapeshifting and Master Healer.
odd - I was able to unlock both reaver and berserker even before I got Orghren or did the quest to unlock reaver.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
LiK said:
FYI, for that Flemeth sidequest:
whether you killed Flemeth or lied to Morrigan, the codex only says you "dealt with Flemeth". i checked both ways.

Re the codex - I only ever found one error. Re Redcliffe:
I chose to save the boy and his mom by fighting the demon in the Fade. The codex refers to the tragic sacrifice of Arl Eamon's wife. But she never died in my playthrough.
I'm surprised there weren't more codex errors, frankly. So many possible gameplay variations in DAO.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
luxarific said:
Except for Sten, but I suppose he doesn't count since he's not from Fereldan. (Although Sten is a lot darker in the commercial than he is in the game.)

If the Dragon Age world is modeled after Europe, I imagine that Antiva is Spain, hence Zevran's darker complexion... and whereever Sten is from is like Northern Africa or perhaps the Middle East.

Which makes me want to see an Antivan sequel more than anything else. The other places in the world, even Leliana's fake France, just seem infinitely more interesting than the Ren Faire setting of Fereldan.

iam220

luxarific said:
Re the codex - I only ever found one error. Re Redcliffe:
I chose to save the boy and his mom by fighting the demon in the Fade. The codex refers to the tragic sacrifice of Arl Eamon's wife. But she never died in my playthrough.
I'm surprised there weren't more codex errors, frankly. So many possible gameplay variations in DAO.

Not really codex related, but:

When allister is giving reasons as to why loghain should be killed, he mentions that we were tortured by him. Except that I wasn't, I killled all the guards that were supposed to capture me and therefore never got imprisoned and tortured.

hulot

firehawk12 said:
Well, everyone in Fereldan seems to be white - even the elves and dwarves. It's one of my pet peeves with Fantasy settings, to be honest.
And darkspawn are dark skinned.....

Dorrin said:

Like someone said, your controller is busted. I had the same problem with an old one; I only noticed the problem with this game because of the auto-move and attack.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
firehawk12 said:
If the Dragon Age world is modeled after Europe, I imagine that Antiva is Spain, hence Zevran's darker complexion... and whereever Sten is from is like Northern Africa or perhaps the Middle East.

Which makes me want to see an Antivan sequel more than anything else. The other places in the world, even Leliana's fake France, just seem infinitely more interesting than the Ren Faire setting of Fereldan.

Yes, Antiva, Orlais, or Par Vollen would be fantastic as DLC. I'm trying not to imagine possible DLC scenarios though, since I inevitably tend to be disappointed by how short they are (e.g, Fable 2). If we get something as long and detailed as the Fallout 3 DLC packages were, I'll be pretty happy.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
iam220 said:
Not really codex related, but:

When allister is giving reasons as to why loghain should be killed, he mentions that we were tortured by him. Except that I wasn't, I killled all the guards that were supposed to capture me and therefore never got imprisoned and tortured.

Hah, I was wondering whether that battle was even winnable - maybe I just had the wrong party (didn't have Morrigan to sleep/horror/nightmare the mob), but I got captured in just a few minutes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
luxarific said:
Yes, Antiva, Orlais, or Par Vollen would be fantastic as DLC. I'm trying not to imagine possible DLC scenarios though, since I inevitably tend to be disappointed by how short they are (e.g, Fable 2). If we get something as long and detailed as the Fallout 3 DLC packages were, I'll be pretty happy.

I can't imagine that DLC will take us anywhere different based on how they've set up the DLC mechanically and just the resources required to create new assets.

LiK

considering the amount of content, i don't think they can make DLC for a whole new country. i wonder if they'll save the other countries for a sequel.

iam220

luxarific said:
Hah, I was wondering whether that battle was even winnable - maybe I just had the wrong party (didn't have Morrigan to sleep/horror/nightmare the mob), but I got captured in just a few minutes.

Yeah that battle was no joke. Didn't help that the boss was doing over 100 damage per hit ... had to bump the difficulty down a notch just to get through it, but its doable. Helps if you run into the hallways as well, so that the archers can't get to you.

Ploid 3.0

hulot said:
And darkspawn are dark skinned.....

Never thought about that. Now that I think about it, there are black spiders, wolves, undead corpses, burnt corpses, dark skeletons, etc. A lot of black people in the game.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
iam220 said:
Yeah that battle was no joke. Didn't help that the boss was doing over 100 damage per hit ... had to bump the difficulty down a notch just to get through it, but its doable. Helps if you run into the hallways as well, so that the archers can't get to you.

Whoa, that fight is actually winnable?! I need to replay that again asap :D.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ploid 3.0 said:
Never thought about that. Now that I think about it, there are black spiders, wolves, undead corpses, burnt corpses, dark skeletons, etc. A lot of black people in the game.

So BioWare is saying that black people are animals or the undead? DA is more racist than RE5!!!! ;)

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So I checked the content page on the XBLM for Dragon Age and there's already a DLC pack for 1200 points, but the description said that certain copies of the game would have a voucher in them to download this for free. Is that still the case?

Gonna jump on Dragon Age on BF.

Woo-Fu

Banned
markatisu said:
Yup, only way I beat Flemeth was with Wynne, tried all sorts of combinations and could not do it. But having Shale pound on her close and Wynne nail her from afar seemed to work fine.

Actually, it is easy to beat her without a healer, heck I did it and used only 3 lesser health kits.

Flemeth can't move. Put your tank just out of melee range of Flemeth, with a bow. He should have as much fire resistance as you can give him. I had 75% at the time, lol. Have him shoot her while using as many of his aggro generation abilities as work.

Meanwhile, the rest of your team should be much farther back, also using ranged attacks.

Flemeth hits the tank with flame spit and dragon fire, but the rest of your party is far enough away from your tank that it doesn't touch them.

Just keep shooting until she dies. Your tank eating health kits as required. With armor in the mid 30s, defense in the 80s, and 75% flame resist, no attack from Flemeth took off more than 10% of my tank's health. This was on Hard, btw.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Domino Theory said:
So I checked the content page on the XBLM for Dragon Age and there's already a DLC pack for 1200 points, but the description said that certain copies of the game would have a voucher in them to download this for free. Is that still the case?

Gonna jump on Dragon Age on BF.

Yeah, this is the Shale quest line. All new copies will have it.

AndyD said:
What do you need fixed?

Theres a hotfix for dexterity, making it more important in damage dealing for rogues and ranged weapons.

Im talking how the last time I came in here, I read that there was a bug where dex wasn't being properly applied to daggers and bows which is why rogues were so underpowered, but the hotfix fucked up the game balance if there were archers around.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Snapshot King said:
Im talking how the last time I came in here, I read that there was a bug where dex wasn't being properly applied to daggers and bows which is why rogues were so underpowered, but the hotfix fucked up the game balance if there were archers around.

It doesn't mess up the game balance, it makes archers the threat they should be. I have the fix in place and have played 90% of the way through on Hard.

Minsc

Gold Member
Snapshot King said:

That's a matter of opinion really. All it does to the game balance is make enemy archers a danger, which is not necessarily a bad thing, if how they were before was irrelevant.

I've read a lot of people post they played though Nightmare and it was too easy for them, so anything to make the game a little more challenging is likely a good thing.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Snapshot King said:

Well the hotfix made bows and rogues use more dexterity than strength. Since it made bows stronger, all bows are stronger, friendly or enemy.

I think it works pretty well, I play an archer myself. I have yet to feel overwhelmed by enemy archers in a way that I feel is broken.

Minsc

Gold Member
Snapshot King said:
If it does end up being too hard, is there a way to uninstall hotfixes?

Yea, you just remove the two files you copied in to the directory. Really simple.

FYI, in the readme it's recommended you remove the hotfix before installing any upcoming patches (which may or may not fix this issue).

AndyD

aka andydumi
Snapshot King said:
If it does end up being too hard, is there a way to uninstall hotfixes?

Yes. Read the instructions that come with it. Its just one or two files that can be added/deleted at will.

Top Bottom