• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

slayn

needs to show more effort.
AndyD said:
It happens for many, theres a huge thread on the official forum. The DLC NPC is in camp, goes through dialogue then says "i will mark it on your map" but it never gets marked and his dialogue resets so you can do the whole discussion over and over.
...what does that have to do with not being able to load your save file?

epmode

kitzkozan said:
Bioware will have another piece of DLC before christmas. :lol

Think it's going to be 400ms points(5$).Seems like players will be able to return to Ostagar in a winter setting.
Remember expansion packs? I liked those. Bioware was even responsible for one of the best ever.

Ashodin

kitzkozan said:

Think it's going to be 400ms points(5$).Seems like players will be able to return to Ostagar in a winter setting.
Yay
King Cailan's
golden armor! I wonder if we'll get his SWEET two hander. Looks like you can get at least sword and board. I wonder if the stats of the gear will fit either warrior/arcane warrior, I hate coming across stamina gear as a mage :lol

Paznos

Philthy said:
Do these mages mostly shoot fire? How did you get through the fire doors?

Hmmmmmmm
Yeah they shot fire all at the same time OUCH!!!, in order to get past the doors with fire underneath them you need to go to another area in the fade and get the fire shapeshifting ability which will allow you to walk through fire, can't remember which part had it though.

Vinci

Danish
Steve Youngblood said:
So, I'm progressing through this game at breakneck speed! I'm finally reaching a point where I'm torn about whether or not I'll allow myself to set the difficulty down to easy temporarily, as I'm just getting nowhere. Even though it's early in the game, I guess I'll spolier-tag:

So, I'm at the Dalish Elven camp trying to hunt down the werewolves, and this leads me to the ruins. Everything's fine, save for the fact that there is a dragon at one point that I seem to need to fight. Despite my initial bewilderment that there were indeed dragons in Dragon Age, I pressed onward only to have my ass handed to me again and again and again. One time, I almost survived with one party member in tact, but alas fate sought to mock my (apparently) abysmal skills at this game.

But that aside, great game! Wish I had more time for it, having only played about 8 hours or so despite buying day one.

If you're really having trouble with that part, I'd try it several more times - and then tone down the difficulty if it's hampering your ability to enjoy the game further.

AndyD

aka andydumi
slayn said:
...what does that have to do with not being able to load your save file?

The editing of the auth files was a solution to the save file issue, which in turn creates the issue I pointed out, that it bypasses auth, but it also is bugged for some in not properly initializing the DLC.

Dead

well not really...yet
kitzkozan said:

Nice

though Im hoping for more substantial dlc next year

markatisu

kitzkozan said:

OMG the
King's Armor

I am so there

luxarific

Nork unification denier
slayn said:
There is a manifest.xml file somewhere in documents/bioware/settings I think. one of the xml properties is authentication. Just set them all to 0.

The not letting you play must be a steam or console thing? Because when I was mucking around with dlc and tried to load my save file, what it would do if it couldn't find them was warn me that certain content couldn't be found but I had a choice to force load my save file anyway to be able to keep playing, just without the dlc.

I'm on the 360 so I can't edit anything (yes, yes, I know, I know).

ElectricBlue187 said:
So this is the first I've heard of this DA Journeys and I have some questions.

1. Are the transferable items worth it?

2. Can they be transferred into an active game (if you know) and

3. Is the game worth playing without the phat lewts?

1.) I think so? One is an experience+ ring, so if you're like me and enjoy assigning points when you level up, you level up faster (I ended up at level 21). The other is a pretty good piece of armor that gives you + all attributes. You can see them on my character here (the helm and the ring).

2.) I think so? I didn't see them until 1-2 days after I started playing the game which I'm attributing to the stop-start-ish nature of the integration with the beta social website that Bioware set up and which is getting its first big stress test with this game (I'm guessing this is the case). They should probably show up nearly immediately now that the website servers have caught up with the backlog.

3.) Yes. TOTALLY. GOTY (IMHO, which is saying a lot given the awesomeness that was Uncharted 2).

Great to hear about the new DLC. Even with the authentication stupidity, I'll still be getting it. Love this game so much.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Ok, I'm about to lose it.

I'm at the
Caridin fight
as a mage with Morrigan and 2 warriors but keep getting my ass kicked. I've tried everything--having Morrigan and my character act as healers, to what crap forms of CC I have, to micro managing the whole battle.

Any advice? I'm about to throw the game in the pisser.

Steve Youngblood said:
So, I'm progressing through this game at breakneck speed! I'm finally reaching a point where I'm torn about whether or not I'll allow myself to set the difficulty down to easy temporarily, as I'm just getting nowhere. Even though it's early in the game, I guess I'll spolier-tag:

So, I'm at the Dalish Elven camp trying to hunt down the werewolves, and this leads me to the ruins. Everything's fine, save for the fact that there is a dragon at one point that I seem to need to fight. Despite my initial bewilderment that there were indeed dragons in Dragon Age, I pressed onward only to have my ass handed to me again and again and again. One time, I almost survived with one party member in tact, but alas fate sought to mock my (apparently) abysmal skills at this game.

But that aside, great game! Wish I had more time for it, having only played about 8 hours or so despite buying day one.

If you do not have Wyne, either make Morrigan a healer, or go to the tower asap

Ok, so I've activated both codes, and steam flashed a message saying it had downloaded the bonus CD. I think it at least, it popped up right as I was loading the game.

Unfortunately, I can't tell if Steam installed it, it's not in the downloadable content menu, and the merchant is not yet at my camp.

My profile on Bioware's Community page says I have Warden's Keep, the Collector's Edition, Blood Dragon Armor, and the Stone Prisoner, so I'm pretty sure I activated the codes right.

crowphoenix said:
Ok, so I've activated both codes, and steam flashed a message saying it had downloaded the bonus CD. I think it at least, it popped up right as I was loading the game.

Unfortunately, I can't tell if Steam installed it, it's not in the downloadable content menu, and the merchant is not yet at my camp.

My profile on Bioware's Community page says I have Warden's Keep, the Collector's Edition, Blood Dragon Armor, and the Stone Prisoner, so I'm pretty sure I activated the codes right.
That's the Bioware DLC solution for you. If it's not in the in-game menu it's not in the game (and you should have a Blood Dragon chest plate in your inventory if it's working).

Things you can do now is register an EA account, register your game there, link the EA account to your Bioware account and see if that resolved it.

If not, go to "run" in your start menu (or windows button + R), type in "services.msc" and see if you can find "Dragon Age: Origins Updater" listed, if you can, make sure it's activated (start it up manually if you have to) and see if the DLC is working.

If it isn't on the list it becomes a lot more complicated.

Danne-Danger said:
If not, go to "run" in your start menu (or windows button + R), type in "services.msc" and see if you can find "Dragon Age: Origins Updater" listed, if you can, make sure it's activated (start it up manually if you have to) and see if the DLC is working.

If it isn't on the list it becomes a lot more complicated.
I found the DA:O Updater. It's set to manual and wasn't running. I tried to start it, and got Error 1053: The service did not respond in a timely fashion.

I changed the start up to automatic, and I'm going to restart my comp to see if that helps.

Returners

My friend hit a snag in the PC version of DA.

"So I'm at the Landsmeet section. I escaped the Fort by convincing everyone I was a guard. Once I returned to Arl Eamon's estate, I had all my equipment back - but the rest of my inventory is gone! All I have is the stuff I picked up in the fort! How do I get my stuff back?"

Apparently there is a chest around the cell that contains the inventory but he didn't pick it up, now either he loses his inventory or he loses his equipment he's wearing atm.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Is there a way to fix it?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Kinda feel strange about the new dlc. I was looking at the guide and it list the kings sword. Thought I just missed it but now it looks like it's just another thing the cut to add later. Hope the new mission is much longer then the last.

Zeliard

Returners said:

"So I'm at the Landsmeet section. I escaped the Fort by convincing everyone I was a guard. Once I returned to Arl Eamon's estate, I had all my equipment back - but the rest of my inventory is gone! All I have is the stuff I picked up in the fort! How do I get my stuff back?"

Apparently there is a chest around the cell that contains the inventory but he didn't pick it up, now either he loses his inventory or he loses his equipment he's wearing atm.

Yeah, it's a known issue with the DLC (if that's what he's talking about). Tell him to quit out to the menu, disable all the DLC, go back into the game, save again with DLC disabled, quit again, enable DLC, re-enter game.

And tell him that's what he gets for being a dwarf.

LosDaddie

Banned
Toma said:
Answer:
Yes.

Doc Evils said:
Mass Effect is so barren compared to Dragon Age. NIGHT AND DAY.

Yes get it NAO.

bad-joey said:
If you don't buy this game you will miss out on the greatest game of the year

Thanks! I'll have to ask my EA dev friend to pick me up this game
for $20
next time we get up.

Dragon Age is exceptionally long, right?

Ok, this game is awesome. Gaffers in this thread have not been exaggerating with their stories of playing for 6-10 hours without realizing it. It is THAT good! The depth of the conversations are amazing and unbelievable. The graphics are way prettier than I expected (which was really little) and some of the moments/character remarks made in this game have been EPIC.
I expected a good WRPG, not the BEST WRPG in CONSOLES (So far... in my mind, anyway).

Full disclosure: Have not played mass effect.

JBuccCP

My first full playthrough was around 27 hours, but I blasted through a lot of the dialogue since I had played up to the landsmeet with another character. I'm not sure what it would have been had I listened to everything, probably 30 at least.

Tokubetsu

Peronthious said:
Some here are saying 26 hours, but I don't see how they're doing it. I've got 40 hours now and nowhere near the end.

Yeah, I was well over 30 hours at one point and had barely gone halfway through the game. Ended up finishing at 55 hours and 26 minutes.

RPGCrazied

bout time we hear about new dlc.. altho this might be the shortest dlc ever. Watch it only be 30min long. ;p but 5dollars for the kings armor is enough I think

Woo-Fu

Banned
Peronthious said:
Some here are saying 26 hours, but I don't see how they're doing it. I've got 40 hours now and nowhere near the end.

Main quest line can be done in 20-25 hours. If you do everything you're looking at at least 50+ hours on your first playthrough. I just finished my 2nd playthrough. 1st was around 70 hours on normal, 2nd was around 50 hours on hard.

I wouldn't pay extra for the King's armor, there are already more sets of heavy armor than most parties will ever need. Might pay extra for some real sets of rogue and/or mage armor, though.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Returners said:

I'd just load up an old save, presumably he doesn't have one or you wouldn't be posting, though. :) You do go into that fort again near the end of the game, might be his gear will still be in the chest, but I doubt it.

Fredescu

Paznos said:
Yeah they shot fire all at the same time OUCH!!!, in order to get past the doors with fire underneath them you need to go to another area in the fade and get the fire shapeshifting ability which will allow you to walk through fire, can't remember which part had it though.
You know, I think he's trying to give you a hint there.

Tokubetsu

Woo-Fu said:
Main quest line can be done in 20-25 hours. If you do everything you're looking at at least 50+ hours on your first playthrough. I just finished my 2nd playthrough. 1st was around 70 hours on normal, 2nd was around 50 hours on hard.

I wouldn't pay extra for the King's armor, there are already more sets of heavy armor than most parties will ever need. Might pay extra for some real sets of rogue and/or mage armor, though.

I actually made a thread on the official forums about the complete lack of light/mage armor. Ended up getting into how all the mage cowls look like shit too. Why couldn't they have just stuck with hoods?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Basileus777 said:
Does it really? It has 360/PS3 entitlements (the items from the flash game) listed there for me.

Yeah, the website works fine for 360 users. Not sure about the PS3 version since I don't have it.

Danne-Danger said:
This should help: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/81613

Start at section 3.2.4 Uninstalling and reinstalling Dragon Age Updater Service. I went through the same shit before. Though that description isn't the way I did it, it should solve your problem.
Thanks, man. I found that topic about an hour ago from you mentioning it. I had to install Microsoft.net Framework on my comp, since it just wasn't there.

The DLC is downloading as I type this.

Dipper145

belvedere said:
Ok, I'm about to lose it.

I'm at the
Caridin fight
as a mage with Morrigan and 2 warriors but keep getting my ass kicked. I've tried everything--having Morrigan and my character act as healers, to what crap forms of CC I have, to micro managing the whole battle.

Any advice? I'm about to throw the game in the pisser.
Someone mentioned this earlier and I was amazed, because that fight took me a long time too.
Aparently you can die, and you get respawned in a jail cell and then you can fight your way out
I've never tried it myself, but it's worth a go.

hermit7

cw_sasuke said:
How is the Ps3 version ?

Works great played through it once, and am replaying it again at the moment. Some slight framerate issues but they don't impede the playability of the game.

BeeDog

Alright, just finished it...

The end was very fun I think, although some of the pre-rooftop areas were a bit of a drag. Overall, the end parts were handled very well, all the choices laid to you from the Landsmeet and onward were well-written, and I had a hard time deciding how to do the shit. :lol Also, Bioware are great at making endgames (the best thing about ME1 was certainly the endgame), and this is no exception; the coronation and all the discussions with your party members was very well done, I think. I also don't mind text epilogues at all, and the stuff I got was cool.

Overall, while I had some issues here and there with the game - awful loot, somewhat major UI problems (no action queuing among other things), simple side quests, dragging parts, difficulty problems and so on - it's still a massive game and infinitely better than Mass Effect. This game excels when it comes to awesomely written and INTERESTING characters and dialogue, and I can't wait for additional content and a sequel or two!

A spoilerific question; what endings are there? I (massive spoilers)
killed Loghain and chose Anora to be the queen without Alistair (eventhough he was still referred to as King at parts, wtf?). Then I also convinced Alistair to impregnate Morrigan, so both me and Alistair survived. One bad thing though is how the death of Riordan is handled, they should've done a bit more than just let us see him fall to his death.

Paznos

hermit7 said:
Works great played through it once, and am replaying it again at the moment. Some slight framerate issues but they don't impede the playability of the game.
I agree I'm currently playing the PS3 version and it works fine I'm about 17 hours into it and I'm having a blast while there are some framerate issues from time to time they haven't hindered my enjoyment at all.

zenbot

My PC's power supply died yesterday morning and I am jonesing. The wife has even resorted to reading DA fan fiction to get her fix.

If it's not my GOTY, it is very close, and it's among my favourite RPGs ever. Well done, BioWare.

Basileus777 said:
Does it really? It has 360/PS3 entitlements (the items from the flash game) listed there for me.

Oh okay. That's good. I was confused by this on the page:

Please note that only content registered from the Social Web Site and in-game will appear - any content purchased through XBox Live or the PSN will not appear on this page.

BeeDog said:
A spoilerific question; what endings are there? I (massive spoilers)
killed Loghain and chose Anora to be the queen without Alistair (eventhough he was still referred to as King at parts, wtf?). Then I also convinced Alistair to impregnate Morrigan, so both me and Alistair survived. One bad thing though is how the death of Riordan is handled, they should've done a bit more than just let us see him fall to his death.
I had Alistair duel Loghain and he executed him straight after without me being able to interject (this was after a reload where I fucked up the aftermath when doing the duel myself). That queen wouldn't marry her father’s murderer so I let her rule the throne by herself. I also let Alistair sacrifice himself in the dragon fight since he seemed eager to do it. Afterwards I said fuck you (kinda) to the queen and went out wandering with Leliana while the Darkspawn was still a threat. This was with an all out good character.

Oh and I dissed Morrigan and her offer, she was "last seen at the royal court in Orlisia" or something like that.

It was pretty funny how everyone would say "oh no no, you're the hero here!" when I said that Alistair was the one who sacrificed himself. Poor guy. :lol

And yeah, apart from the one-hit enemies (which would run to a trigger-point before dying if you killed them too soon), I thought the last sections were pretty good.

MirageDwarf said:
Oh okay. That's good. I was confused by this on the page:

I was doing the Dalish quest today and kept wondering why this game reminded me so much of FF 12(aside from the gambits) and it hit me: The pacing is shit.

And i mean, worst than FF12 bad. The thing that saves it is that while the prose may be on similar terms, the plotting and characters of this game are vastly superior and engaging when the ridiculous dungeons lets you get to them.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
lorddarkflare said:
I was doing the Dalish quest today and kept wondering why this game reminded me so much of FF 12(aside from the gambits) and it hit me: The pacing is shit.

Interesting, Dragon Age felt alot like World of Warcraft to me.

Top Bottom