• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
does the flash game login not work? i try to log in using my DA account and it says cannot connect to ea servers (says same when i enter giberrish too). i try to register and it does the same. i'm stuck in an airport and want some DA "goodness" damn it

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
rayner said:
I have a quick question... is there any benefit to saving gems? Like Diamonds, Sapphires and such? Or are they there specifically to be sold to the vendors for Gold?

I think I remember someone saying you can turn them into the Dwarven armies.

But besides that, no. Go ahead and sell them.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
AstroLad said:
does the flash game login not work? i try to log in using my DA account and it says cannot connect to ea servers (says same when i enter giberrish too). i try to register and it does the same. i'm stuck in an airport and want some DA "goodness" damn it

Works fine for me :/.

Tom Penny said:
I have no healer on the final part of the game. I'm screwed.

Chug chug chug chug chug chug.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Pankaks said:
Works fine for me :/.
You use your DA account or do you have to register separately for the Flash game? (Assume it's the former, but I never know with this EA account stuff.)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
K.Jack said:
I find the number of enemies here hilarious:

I just wanted to share that before I get massacred.

Sleep is your friend. Most powerful spell in the game, makes that fight a cakewalk.

Pancakes

AstroLad said:
You use your DA account or do you have to register separately for the Flash game? (Assume it's the former, but I never know with this EA account stuff.)

Pretty sure it's the DA account.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Rats. Log in on one window into EA social with no problems (can view character, screenshots, etc.). Log in with same info into Journeys and I get unable to connect to EA servers. Weird.

Macattk15

K.Jack said:

DAOrigins2009-11-2011-26-56-50.jpg

I just wanted to share that before I get massacred.

Put some points in Morrigan's Entropy tree (whatever one that is, the bottom one) and you can easily handle huge groups like that.

Waking Nightmare / Sleep is a godsend. That and get Blizzard or something and just hold your units out of it. Throw in some Cones of Cold or whatever and it's all groovvvvvvvvvvy.

Zod the Bear said:
Dwarf noble's been the number one origin for me, and led to my best definitive ending. How's it gone for the rest of you?

I went with City Elf and nothing else so far, but I've enjoyed the effects that's had on the main plot.
The encounter with 'Shianna' in front of the Urn was very well done, as were the guilt trips along that sequence. From what I've heard of the other origins I'm not sure how they could pull off something similar.
Anyone with a different origin story want to go over what happened with them at
The Gauntlet
?

Pancakes

K.Jack said:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h204/killer-ra/VidGame%20Screens/DAOrigins2009-11-2011-26-56-50.jpg[/IM]

I just wanted to share that before I get massacred.[/QUOTE]

I abused walking bomb so much during these situations - (Console - 50% Friendly Fire DMG)

[QUOTE=Macattk15]Waking Nightmare / Sleep is a godsend. That and get [B]Blizzard or something and just hold your units out of it. Throw in some Cones of Cold or whatever and it's all groovvvvvvvvvvy.[/B][/QUOTE]

Groovy indeed.

Peronthious said:
I went with City Elf and nothing else so far, but I've enjoyed the effects that's had on the main plot.
The encounter with 'Shianna' in front of the Urn was very well done, as were the guilt trips along that sequence. From what I've heard of the other origins I'm not sure how they could pull off something similar.
The Gauntlet
?

Human and dwarf noble origin and other Orzammar spoilers.
For human noble, your father appears. The Guardian guilt trips you for having left your parents behind, but your father's encouraging.

Dwarf noble has your older brother appear. The Guardian guilt trips you over that, and Trian rightfully seemed annoyed with me (I'd already done Orzammar and put Bhelen on the throne to get my son properly instated as an Aeducan) but then just wanted to not be forgotten.

Mojojo

Peronthious said:
The Gauntlet
?

I had the magi origin and the encounter was
Jowan, your 'friend' from the circle of magi you help escape during the mage origin . Forgot the details of the speech , it was about friendship and treason

Xapati

Hey Gaf, I've got a bit of a dilemma, I'm not sure if I should get the game for my laptop or for my 360. My laptop specs are the following:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9400 @ 2.53GHz
ATI Mobilitiy Radeon HD 3650 512 MB

Will it even run on this machine or would I have a better experience on my 360? The character creator runs fine on my laptop, but I don't know if that's any indication of how well the game itself will run.

Arde5643

Xapati said:
Hey Gaf, I've got a bit of a dilemma, I'm not sure if I should get the game for my laptop or for my 360. My laptop specs are the following:

Will it even run on this machine or would I have a better experience on my 360? The character creator runs fine on my laptop, but I don't know if that's any indication of how well the game itself will run.
It should run fine in your machine - if you have win 7 64bit, I sugggest you use the "run under winxp" compatibility thing they have.

AstroLad said:

It may be a firewall issue. I can login fine at home, but at work it won't connect to the EA servers.

Xapati

Arde5643 said:
It should run fine in your machine - if you have win 7 64bit, I sugggest you use the "run under winxp" compatibility thing they have.

I'm running Vista 32 bit. So it should be fine? Thanks.

Woohoo! Finally beat the game yesterday. I think I will do all the origins this weekend and then take a break until they release the winter Ostagar content.

I did almost all the sidequests and ended up at level 22.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Xapati said:

If you're running it around 1280x800 no AA, it will perform on par with the 360. Turning off the frame buffer will also boost your framerate nicely.

Just want to say thanks to Sony for putting up all the limited dlc on the PSN yesterday :lol

I got all of it (including a mark of vigilance which I never even saw at any shops)

Really like the sound of the wicked oath ring!

Having some trouble with Kolgrim and his crew in the "Urn of the Sacred Ashes" quest, any tips, he's really my first pretty hard encounter.

dreamer3kx said:
Having some trouble with Kolgrim and his crew in the "Urn of the Sacred Ashes" quest, any tips, he's really my first pretty hard encounter.
It's just 3 guys isn't it? What are you having trouble with?

Killing the minions first is the best way to go, use any stuns/lockdown spells you have on Kolgrim in the meantime.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
dreamer3kx said:
Make sure you have a tank on Kolgrim, then just burn down his party members. Micromanaging the healer can get you a lot further in hard fights. Keep Regeneration up on the tank and spam Heal when needed.

Just wait until you fight what Kolgrim's horn summons!

Danne-Danger said:
It's just 3 guys isn't it? What are you having trouble with?

Killing the minions first is the best way to go, use any stuns/lockdown spells you have on Kolgrim in the meantime.

No, I believe there's two mages, Kolgrim himself with two other soldiers, Kolgrim is a beast, his weapon is just pounding the shit out of my guys.

dreamer3kx said:
No, I believe there's two mages, Kolgrim himself with two other soldiers, Kolgrim is a beast, his weapon is just pounding the shit out of my guys.
Ah... well then, depending on your crew, put Kolgrim and the melee guys to rest with sleep/petrifies/waking nightmares and focus on the mages first. Or you could divide the melee guys between your tanks (Kolgrim on 1 and the 2 other guys on a lesser tank) if you have more than one. Either way focus on killing the mages first, then the melee guys, and last Kolgrim. Throw everything that reduces attack and damage on Kolgrim, though after the mages.

I had Mana Clash at that point so the mages may as well not have been there at all.

For my first playthrough,

I set a tank up against him that couldn't be knocked down, used a mage to keep the tank up. Other party member held the random melee guys while the last one burned the mages down.

Once the mages are out of the picture (Dog did wonders against them,) he can team up against something else and it'll collapse alright.

Just need a good healing mage with a decent amount of mana pots as backup.

voltron

Ok I assume Im late to the party on this, but it does it annoy anyone else that content like 'The Wardens Keep' is not incorporated into the game? Having DLC ready at launch is one thing, but to have such an obviously cool premise for a quest that relates directly to the character you play in the game as DLC just annoys me.

Not to mention they include a chest to save loot in.... maybe that would have been a good idea for the main game. (unless Im missing something and there already exists a chest to store items in?)

And why the sweet fuck does 'The Stone Golem' cost 1200 pts!?? You have got to be shitting me!

voltron

Zod the Bear said:
Because it comes free with every new purchase of the game?

Completely pointless response. Yes I know it comes free, I used my code to purchase it.

But that doesnt change the fact that it is for sale @ 1200 pts. That is fucking ridiculous.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I must say, with the GTA episodes coming in at 20 bucks, it sets an unreasonably high bar.

Then again, Shale is like the best character in the game, so maybe it's worth 15 bucks. :lol

Lothars

voltron said:
Ok I assume Im late to the party on this, but it does it annoy anyone else that content like 'The Wardens Keep' is not being sold as DLC? Having DLC ready at launch is one thing, but to have such an obviously cool premise for a quest that relates directly to the character you play in the game as DLC just annoys me.

Not to mention they include a chest to save loot in.... maybe that would have been a good idea for the main game. (unless Im missing something and there already exists a chest to store items in?)

Nope because you can get a lot of space on all your characters as well but the quest isn't anything special, it's alright and I bought the dlc anyway though I don't have an issue with how they did it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So doesn't it just only screw people who buy used? Meh, won't get much sympathy from me.

I honestly can't even tell what's DLC and what was associated with what, I just bought the Super Deluxe Edition on Steam when it was like $45 for a couple hours.

Chris R

When was the deluxe edition 45 on steam? I'm hoping something similar happens this BF so I can grab the game for a good price :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
rhfb said:
When was the deluxe edition 45 on steam? I'm hoping something similar happens this BF so I can grab the game for a good price :(
It was for like half a day maybe a few weeks back? Maybe it was 55, I might be overly fondly remembering. Just remember it was like 10+ bucks less than it's been anywhere before or since.

Lothars

voltron said:
Completely pointless response. Yes I know it comes free, I used my code to purchase it.

But that doesnt change the fact that it is for sale @ 1200 pts. That is fucking ridiculous.

It's not at all a pointless response though because if you buy the game than you get the code the only issue comes if you pick up the game used but it's not a big deal for it at 1200 points, it's definitely worth it for shale.

voltron said:
Ok I assume Im late to the party on this, but it does it annoy anyone else that content like 'The Wardens Keep' is not incorporated into the game? Having DLC ready at launch is one thing, but to have such an obviously cool premise for a quest that relates directly to the character you play in the game as DLC just annoys me.

And why the sweet fuck does 'The Stone Golem' cost 1200 pts!?? You have got to be shitting me!

I'll give benefit of doubt to BioWare in this because of few things. First, BioWare isn't known for screwing gamers for DLC. This is first time.

Circumstances surrounding both DLCs have been explained. Stone Prisoner was part of the game but removed later on due to design constraint. It was decided to cut it completely. Small team still worked on it and redesigned it to make it work as standalone DLC so it if fails it won't affect main game. Since it was part of original game design, BioWare is giving it away free. They said Warden's Keep content was developed by different team. It was not possible to include this in main game due to time constraint. Luckily they got it ready on release day.

LiK

finished as a Human Noble. got a good ending i suppose. i played a good guy and helped everyone. pretty satisfying. i can sorta tell what Bioware has in mind for the sequel. they leave some stuff pretty open.

edit: holy crap, DAO must have the longest credits roll in game history :lol i'm still letting it roll cuz i like all the music.

JayDubya

Banned
So Human Noble Warrior / Templar / Champion finished.

78 hours, L23, halfway to L24 (and I sincerely doubt L24 would have been possible).

Did almost everything. Did not find all the love letters (missing one). The last Blackstone Irregulars quest bugged out on me as well (the NPCs would not appear).

On to some kind of Mage or Rogue.

Top Bottom