• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

desverger

ElectricBlue187 said:
Where do I get the assassin skill? Is there a book or do I need
Zevran
?

Yes, you do need him. He'll teach it to you after a certain approval rating (I think mid 20s, low 30s).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ventrue said:
There is an achievement for every origin, plus for the different endings, plus for getting all the endings. So you need more than one.

Ah right, I forgot about those. :lol
But you can power through the origins in 30 minutes or so. The majority of the other ones can be done on a single character with multiple saves though.

Won

Realized yesterday that my Stone Prisoner DLC doesn't seem to work. :(
And checking the Bioware forum it looks like DLC in this game generally seems to be pretty buggy.

Ventrue said:
I think most people chose to (spoiler for dungeon near end game)
break out of Fort Drakon. However, I would highly recommend letting your party rescue you. You get to pick two party members and they each have their own 'bluff' dialogue. I picked Sten and the Dog, which made for the least convincing cover story ever. "I'm a dog trainer." "YOU are a dog trainer?" "I HAVE a dog, what more do you want!?"
:lol
Even on easy Ser Cautherine or whatever is the hardest encounter in the game. I finally had to pull her away from her friends for victory

next playthrough I'll go willingly

Kunan

Without spoiling anything, is it important at the beginning as a dwarf noble to support the lord asking for equal rights for those who have gone to the surace?

Kunan said:
Without spoiling anything, is it important at the beginning as a dwarf noble to support the lord asking for equal rights for those who have gone to the surace?
There's about 5 ways it can play out. I think it does have some effect later on but I'm unsure. It can have some very immediate effects depending on your dialog choices.
Last night I found you can challenge lord dace's honor and then kill his son for dishonoring your house lol

best choice IMO

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The more and more I play this, the more I realize that it is a slight to BG2 to compare DA favorably in any way tot he BG2 masterpiece.

aasoncott

So, it seems I've run into the worst bug ever on the PS3 version. Two days ago, I played for an hour or two, completing a couple quests. I saved the game and went to bed. Yesterday, I loaded up the game, only to discover that none of my progress had been saved. Weird. I played for another hour or two, completing the quests again, travelling to new places and progressing the story significantly. I even got a new character. I saved the game once or twice as I played. Then, I got myself in a little over my head, and my party was wiped out. I went to load my last save... and discovered that my last save was where I was two days ago. I've been overwriting a single save slot as I've been progressing. Or, I was.

Has Dragon Age, uh, stopped saving for anyone else?

Edit: I should also add that the game hasn't auto-saved in about a week.

buffi

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Ah right, I forgot about those. :lol
But you can power through the origins in 30 minutes or so. The majority of the other ones can be done on a single character with multiple saves though.

Well, these three achievements more or less require three play throughs.

Main character achieved level 20 as a warrior
Main character achieved level 20 as a rogue
Main character achieved level 20 as a mage

Stratman

Neo Member
buffi said:
Well, these three achievements more or less require three play throughs.

Main character achieved level 20 as a warrior
Main character achieved level 20 as a rogue
Main character achieved level 20 as a mage

Not if you use the level up glitch.

Nemesis_

So apparently I missed a Blackstone quest in Lothering (something about recruiting people) and as such cannot unlock one of the hidden locations and AS SUCH CANNOT GET THE TRAVELLER ACHIEVEMENT.

Fuck that's annoying.

I finished my Rogue play through. I jumped right into a Mage playthrough, OH WOW is the Mage just devastating!

Also I took the Glyph skill line early , Glyph of Repulsion is just insane. Any tips on glyph stacking, I don't quite get it and when I stack glyphs I just paralyze everyone. :lol

This is going to be like Morrowind or Fallout 3 for me, I can see over a 100hrs. of playtime easy. :D

Beat it last weekend, 50 hours, 75% sidequests, Traveller achievement, as a Human Male Noble Rogue Duelist+Assassin.

Now I'm totally curious about the alternate endings.
Did Morrigan's ritual because I romanced her.

I don't think there's any way I can survive Redcliffe's second encounter, being level 7, without kiting the enemies up the hill on Hard.

This kind of encounter is kinda stupid.

Lone_Prodigy said:
Beat it last weekend, 50 hours, 75% sidequests, Traveller achievement, as a Human Male Noble Rogue Duelist+Assassin.

Now I'm totally curious about the alternate endings.
Did Morrigan's ritual because I romanced her.

I am, too, but I was a Dalish Elf Rogue Ranger. Finished last night. I did what you did because
in my conversation with her, Morrigan implied that if I didn't, Alistair would make the sacrifice himself. I didn't wanna lose my buddy!

Arde5643

sweetvar26 said:
I have 'Rogue' as my main character, however, I still did not do a damage of 250 yet. I am level 20, have my strength/dexterity as 35/38, cunning/willpower both 20+. Any ideas of how I can do more damage per single blow while using duals? I am trying to get the achievement for it. Any specific talents/skills that I will have to use?
Too low stats in everything basically.

You have to choose to either be a dex/str rogue or a dex/cun rogue, or cun rogue.

Dex/str rogue
pros: very survivable, can tank as well as fighters due to wearing heavy armor and high dex, good damage due to dual weapon mastery (able to use heavy weapons on both hands)
cons: lower stamina due to wearing heavy armor, unable to pick lock/disarm traps due to low cun, might not always be able to stealth even w/ combat stealth due to low cun

dex/cun rogue:
pros: quite survivable due to high dex in one-to-one combat, good damage due to lethality skill, can pick lock/disarm traps in most cases due to high cun
cons: light armor means he'll die soon if he faces more than 2 enemies.

cun rogue:
pros: highest physical dps in the game - can obliterate enemies very fast with momentum/dual daggers/lethality combined with runes/poison.
cons: hit rate will suck unless he hits from flanking position, has all the cons of the dex/cun rogue but worse since he also sucks in one-on-one combat due to low dex.

Dex/str rogue: a rogue in name only - more of a fighter with rogue skills. Low investment in cun means that a lot of the cun-based rogue skills will be useless.
Go 2:1 in dex/str until you get 36 dex to enable you to get dual handed weapon mastery as soon as possible. After that, go 2:1 in str/dex to increase your damage output and to be able to wear the heaviest equipment offered in the game.
No need to get lethality although coup de grace might still be useful.

dex/cun rogue - the most common rogue. high dps, very versatile in both combat and non-combat situations and pretty good survivability due to high dex.
Get str to at least 20 to be able to don the best light armor in the game. After that, focus on dex/cun, 2:1 until you get your dex high enough for hit rate and then focus on cun/dex to up the damage.
Lethality + coup de grace is required for this build. No need for dual weapon expertise or mastery.

cun rogue - a rogue built specifically for pure dps reason. Obviously very useful as well outside of combat due to high cun to picklock/disarm traps.
Get str to at least 20 to be able to don the best light armor in the game. After that keep pumping 2:1 to cun/dex and be sure to have your mage/fighter/bard use talents to up the rogue's hit rate in any battle.
Once you've got dex to a pretty good amount (36), just up cun to up the damage from there.
Get lethality + coup de grace as soon as possible - stealth mastery is also a necessity to run away from enemies.
Best specialization for this class is: bard and assassin - bard's talent will increase your hit rate and dmg according to your cun, and assassin has another talent to further add backstab damage based on your cun.

Takuhi

aasoncott said:
Has Dragon Age, uh, stopped saving for anyone else?

Edit: I should also add that the game hasn't auto-saved in about a week.

Just to make sure, are you manually loading your save and auto-save files? The "Load Last Saved File" option is thoroughly busted, and almost never updates for some reason. Mine always takes me to a save file created 20 gameplay hours ago, but I can manually load more recent saves.

Zzoram

End game spoilers about Morrigan:

I think it's pretty obvious Flemeth's plan was for Morrigan to capture the Old God soul in Morrigan's child with the hero Grey Warden, and then possess it as a future body. Once Morrigan convinced you to get rid of Flemeth, she probably adopted her plan. This means she will be insanely powerful in the future with the power of an Old God. However, Old Gods clearly aren't that strong, because they can be killed by Grey Wardens. I wonder if they'll put her in the sequel.

Zzoram said:
End game spoilers about Morrigan:

I think it's pretty obvious Flemeth's plan was for Morrigan to capture the Old God soul in Morrigan's child with the hero Grey Warden, and then possess it as a future body. Once Morrigan convinced you to get rid of Flemeth, she probably adopted her plan. This means she will be insanely powerful in the future with the power of an Old God. However, Old Gods clearly aren't that strong, because they can be killed by Grey Wardens. I wonder if they'll put her in the sequel.

I don't think I will be able to go along with that choice in any playthrough, including an evil character, its just so bizarre and screwed up IMO.

Does it matter which system I pick this up for? Don't tell me Pc, because my PC can't run it (if you want to buy me a new PC you are welcome!), so I have to choose console.

I was leaning toward 360 just out of preference, but is there any benefit to either one? Control issues? Etc..

I was going to strike @ 35, but was sold out or not available, but Amazon @ 40 is looking very agreeable to me.

Zzoram

Kureishima said:
Does it matter which system I pick this up for? Don't tell me Pc, because my PC can't run it (if you want to buy me a new PC you are welcome!), so I have to choose console.

I was leaning toward 360 just out of preference, but is there any benefit to either one? Control issues? Etc..

I was going to strike @ 35, but was sold out or not available, but Amazon @ 40 is looking very agreeable to me.

360 version has a bit better framerate than PS3 but is a bit worse in textures. Think Mass Effect type performance for both versions.

Ventrue

commish said:
The more and more I play this, the more I realize that it is a slight to BG2 to compare DA favorably in any way tot he BG2 masterpiece.
As someone who has played BGII over a dozen times, I respectfully disagree. I think it compares favourably in several areas.

Chinner

Banned
how do i install dlc? stupid question i know but i'm trying to download the stone prisoner or w/e and there is no clear "DOWNLOAD DIS NOW" button...

DimmuBurgerKing said:
I am, too, but I was a Dalish Elf Rogue Ranger. Finished last night. I did what you did because
in my conversation with her, Morrigan implied that if I didn't, Alistair would make the sacrifice himself. I didn't wanna lose my buddy!

(endgame and Morrigan spoilers)

That was also the reason why
I killed Loghain because I wanted Alistair to stay and be king. I suppose if I kept Loghain (and Alistair left in a huff) it would've been Loghain who died at the end.

Also agree about the possibility of Morrigan returning in the sequel. It would only work if you chose that route though, and to make it dependent on your previous choices a la Mass Effect 2 would be way too hard to program. I can see how that was Flemeth's plan though, since Morrigan never really disclosed what she found in Flemeth's real grimoire (say, how to actually possess a body?)

aasoncott

Takuhi said:
Just to make sure, are you manually loading your save and auto-save files? The "Load Last Saved File" option is thoroughly busted, and almost never updates for some reason. Mine always takes me to a save file created 20 gameplay hours ago, but I can manually load more recent saves.

Yup, manual. There are three saves -- two manual, one auto. After a bunch of progress, I save over one of the manual slots. Then, when I go back... it's still the old save.

Kritz

Banned
Picked this game up from the Steam sale, even though I had a feeling that this was not my kind of game. I've thrown the thing on Easy because I'm pretty bad at any game that requires more than shooting dudes in the face.

So far I'm really enjoying the game, even if I'm probably playing it "wrong". My party is three warriors and mage lady, which is working out OK for now. I'm not sure if I should be chucking everything into STR and DEX for the warriors, but I haven't run into any ill effects from doing so.

I've already plonked 11 hours into the game, and I don't really feel like I've gotten anywhere. But I usually quit out of a game by the 5 hour point if it isn't interesting me, so I guess this game is doing something right.

Chinner said:
how do i install dlc? stupid question i know but i'm trying to download the stone prisoner or w/e and there is no clear "DOWNLOAD DIS NOW" button...

It would be a stupid question if installing it were done in a logical and sane fashion, but rest assured that it's not:

- Get an EA account if you don't have one
- Start the game and select Downloadable Content from the main menu
- Click the Redeem Code (or similar) button
- This will take you to BioWare site where you can login with your EA account
- Enter your CD key in the code box

If all went well you should be able to logout then back into your EA account in-game and when you go to Downloadable Content your stuff will be in the download list. Don't quit while it's in progress though, as it may cause it to stay in the download list forever and never install unless you manually delete it, and then download it again.

Doytch

Kritz said:
Picked this game up from the Steam sale, even though I had a feeling that this was not my kind of game. I've thrown the thing on Easy because I'm pretty bad at any game that requires more than shooting dudes in the face.

So far I'm really enjoying the game, even if I'm probably playing it "wrong". My party is three warriors and mage lady, which is working out OK for now. I'm not sure if I should be chucking everything into STR and DEX for the warriors, but I haven't run into any ill effects from doing so.

I've already plonked 11 hours into the game, and I don't really feel like I've gotten anywhere. But I usually quit out of a game by the 5 hour point if it isn't interesting me, so I guess this game is doing something right.
That's generally what you should be doing. Also dump some points into Constitution for more HP if you notice you're chugging potions a bit /too/ often.

AHHHHHHHHH ORZAMMAR NEVER ENDS. I wanted to finish this game up before diving into the fruits of my shopping spree, but goddamn I don't give a shit about these stupid hobbits.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, that was a long quest and I hate Dwarves, damned foul creatures.
I will be finished up my first playthrough in the next couple nights, I'm a little disappointing that I can't go back to the sidequests at this point, I have a lot that I didn't do like companion quests but I was into the story and blew threw it pretty quick. My human warrior could totally fuck shit up but I think Mage will be a lot more fun. Elf Mage next time, if that's possible. I'm gonna be an evil bastard, can't wait.

gotee12

Snuggler said:
...I'm a little disappointing that I can't go back to the sidequests at this point...

For someone like myself that's still waiting on their copy to come in the mail, is there a way to state at which point you're unable to go back and pick up the side quests without giving too much of the plot away? Such as
"quest titled "X" begins the point of no return"
?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
gotee12 said:
For someone like myself that's still waiting on their copy to come in the mail, is there a way to state at which point you're unable to go back and pick up the side quests without giving too much of the plot away? Such as
"quest titled "X" begins the point of no return"
?

After completing the 4 major story quests and returning to a certain location for the "final battle". At that point, you can't go back. You'll definitely know when you're there.

gotee12

Snuggler said:
After completing the 4 major story quests and returning to a certain location for the "final battle". At that point, you can't go back. You'll definitely know when you're there.

Thanx!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Justinian said:
What makes you say this?

Nostalgia.

I grew up playing Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale. I never thought we'd ever see another game like those that I consider some of the best ever created.

HOWEVER. Dragon Age is the successor to those classics. For everything that's not quite as good as the older games, there are two that are better.

buffi

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
Where do I get the assassin skill? Is there a book or do I need
Zevran
?

There's a tome for assassin so you don't need
Zevran
. It's available pretty late in the game though:

I found it being sold in the elvish store in the elf suburbs that gets unlocked after escaping from prison.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
WanderingWind said:
Nostalgia.

I grew up playing Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale. I never thought we'd ever see another game like those that I consider some of the best ever created.

HOWEVER. Dragon Age is the successor to those classics. For everything that's not quite as good as the older games, there are two that are better.

Since I only first played BG2 about 2 years ago, I'd hardly call it nostalgia. I just feel like the gameplay in BG2 is better than DA and the characters are more interesting.

Kosma

Banned
The end of the game is so pretty lame imho, with one integral member of my party leaving before I headed into the final sequence, which is pretty long, and really frustrating to change your whole playstyle after 60 hours :S

I think I will load up a save and do everything thats needed to keep him/her even if that means having an ending that not what I wanted.

ElectricBlue187 said:
Even on easy Ser Cautherine or whatever is the hardest encounter in the game. I finally had to pull her away from her friends for victory

next playthrough I'll go willingly

I beat her on my 2nd/3rd try I think, just sniping away all the archers withtout drawing any aggro almost :) This on normal PC.

Lan_97

Just got my PS3 CE. For those that care, my copy came in a 2-disc SteelBook, not a MetalPak case that some have reported. Off to start my rogue!

slider

This isn't my type of game at all but this thread has prompted me to order. When it arrives I can see what the hubbub is about.

Varna said:
Anyone know of a way to end all active modes after battle? Really annoying having to do it manually all the time. :/
I'd like to know this too, or a mod that turns that shit off during convo. Its annoying to see pink smoke and red crap going everywhere, really fucks with my immersion

Top Bottom