• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
firehawk12 said:
Ah right, I forgot about those. :lol
But you can power through the origins in 30 minutes or so. The majority of the other ones can be done on a single character with multiple saves though.

yeah but depending on what order you played the game in you might end using a save from like 4 hours in the game meaning you are playing the whole game again as the same character..

Varna said:
Anyone know of a way to end all active modes after battle? Really annoying having to do it manually all the time. :/

You could modify the Tactics to say "if any ally under attack/attacking an enemy" (or something) rather than "Self: any". Then again they might start activating/deactivating during the battle which would mess things up.

I once had Morrigan go to Bear form if her mana dropped under 25%, but then removed it because she was shapeshifting after being revived. :lol

Man, no matter what I do, everybody seems to hate me. My goody first character has morrigan as backup, and she hates me. Any gains I make with Alistair or Shale I manage to fuck up through a future conversation. 2nd playthrough I'll be more of a dick, but I wanna use Wynne or Sten or what not and they'll probably hate me too =(

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
commish said:
Since I only first played BG2 about 2 years ago, I'd hardly call it nostalgia. I just feel like the gameplay in BG2 is better than DA and the characters are more interesting.

I can't see how the gameplay hasn't been improved since BG2 to DA:O. Characters...some are better, some are worse, IMO.

Wallach

Wiggum2007 said:
Dwarf haters :(

Fuck the peons, let them live in their dirty cities full of nappy ass elves.

Durrrr, it's raining and we're cold - way to live on the surface, retards. Go figure as soon as I leave Orzammar I wind up in shithole after shithole. Must be some coincidence, I'm sure.

Varna

ElectricBlue187 said:
I'd like to know this too, or a mod that turns that shit off during convo. Its annoying to see pink smoke and red crap going everywhere, really fucks with my immersion

Was looking for a mod to do this for the same reasons (wish you could just turn all the aura effects off in general... they look stupid).

I wasn't to deep in... maybe 8 hours. I decided I wanted to start over with a couple of mods.

No staring abilities and no auto level for allies has completely changed the game for me. No more worthless skills and my party is so much more effective now.

johnsmith

remember me
The effect for Rally is the worst. Besides the graphical effect, it makes a noise every time someone gains the buff. Since you only have the buff if you're close enough to the caster, as you run through dungeons people will constantly fall out range of it as they fall behind going around a corner or whatnot. Once they come close to you again they'll regain the buff and make the noise again. So as you're running around you're constantly hearing these loud thunder noises. Took me forever to figure out what it was.

Overall the game is amazing, but it has a lot of stupid little shit like that that pisses me off.

Doytch

johnsmith said:
The effect for Rally is the worst. Besides the graphical effect, it makes a noise every time someone gains the buff. Since you only have the buff if you're close enough to the caster, as you run through dungeons people will constantly fall out range of it as they fall behind going around a corner or whatnot. Once they come close to you again they'll regain the buff and make the noise again. So as you're running around you're constantly hearing these loud thunder noises. Took me forever to figure out what it was.

Overall the game is amazing, but it has a lot of stupid little shit like that that pisses me off.
I come bearing gifts! (You need to have an account on the forum to download though)

Also, I know there is a mod that removes the spell effects during cutscenes, but I can't seem to find it right now. I'll dig through my history at work tomorrow and try to find it.

edit: Found one. Not the same one I saw before, but this one at least shows the effect for a second to let you know it's been cast. Also removes some other junk like the rally sound effect, etc, etc. LINK

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Um, I'm doing the Red Cliffe Conner thing, and I picked to go to the Circle for help... but do I now have to do the entire Circle quest first? I just wanna finished Red Cliffe first...

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I really hate the rock armor effect too. Had it active during the "love" scene. Kinda hilarious, really. Had to wonder as the logistics of two people going at it all, when one was made of rock...

Otheradam said:
what? explain?[level up glitch]

From Ostagar, get to the point where you head out into the Wilds to obtain the blood/treaties. Get the blood and head back to Duncan. When you talk to him, you can say you haven't gotten the treaties and he'll tell you to go get them. When the conversation ends, you get a decent chunk of xp. Every time you talk to him, you have the same conversation with him and get the xp afterward.

When you're done with the xp, go get the treaties to continue the game.

Wallach

So, I'm curious... I really like having Alistair in my party because the banter between him and Morrigan is hilarious, especially if you're involved with her. Thing is, I'm a S&S Warrior myself - Dwarf, the real kind - and he's already got points into S&S himself. Would there be any sense in running him in my party considering we're limited to 4? I'd probably be out a rogue altogether (because I'd probably run the healer mage as my 4th) which might drive me nuts as I go along, even though I've never found anything of real use in a locked chest. I'm just curious if it would leave me with too little damage overall, or spread the loot too thin between us.

Doytch

Wallach said:
So, I'm curious... I really like having Alistair in my party because the banter between him and Morrigan is hilarious, especially if you're involved with her. Thing is, I'm a S&S Warrior myself - Dwarf, the real kind - and he's already got points into S&S himself. Would there be any sense in running him in my party considering we're limited to 4? I'd probably be out a rogue altogether (because I'd probably run the healer mage as my 4th) which might drive me nuts as I go along, even though I've never found anything of real use in a locked chest. I'm just curious if it would leave me with too little damage overall, or spread the loot too thin between us.
PC? Respec him as a dual-wield warrior and give Morrigan/Wynne an unlock spell.

Wallach

Doytch said:
PC? Respec him as a dual-wield warrior and give Morrigan/Wynne an unlock spell.

Do any of the in-game Templars actually run DW/2H weaponry? I've only ever seen them with S&S. I'm trying not to stray too far from the character in that sense.

Doytch

Wallach said:
Do any of the in-game Templars actually run DW/2H weaponry? I've only ever seen them with S&S. I'm trying not to stray too far from the character in that sense.
I have no clue really...but I think the head templar in the mage tower rolls 2H.

So a friend is selling me his old graphics card for cheap, and now I won't have to play this game on low settings at 15fps anymore. Awesome.

Anyone have any idea how well a radeon 4850 will run this game?

Erudite

sublime085 said:
So a friend is selling me his old graphics card for cheap, and now I won't have to play this game on low settings at 15fps anymore. Awesome.

Anyone have any idea how well a radeon 4850 will run this game?
My 8800GT ran it without a hitch on max settings (8x AA included). Should have no problems. Enjoy :D

Traced-Velocity said:
My 8800GT ran it without a hitch on max settings (8x AA included). Should have no problems. Enjoy :D
:D

That is good to hear. Thanks.

Now I think I might start a new character when I get the card.

What's your favorite banter so far? My favorite is the one between Alistair and Shale about Shale watching Alistair while he's sleeping and resisting the urge to squash his face in :lol

ElectricBlue187 said:
What's your favorite banter so far? My favorite is the one between Alistair and Shale about Shale watching Alistair while he's sleeping and resisting the urge to squash his face in :lol

Yeah, that one got a big laugh. There was one with a whiny Alistair asking Wynne to sew up some holes in his shirt that was funny in a "cute" sort of way.

Oh, and Oghren creepily flirting with Wynne. He'd "give her a roll." Preferably in the dark.

clashfan

ElectricBlue187 said:

Wynne asking Oghren why Oghren calls Alistar a spear twirler.

Chris_C

I'm wondering if I have some sort of driver problem here, I'm getting ~35-45 FPS at 144x900 in Dragon Age Origins, and about the same with Mass Effect (On the Normandy's bridge)... that seems low right?

Arde5643

Anyone used any of the unofficial rebalance mods yet?

Since we have 2 pretty good 2-handed weapon companions (Sten & Oghren), it's a shame we couldn't use more of them unless we respec them into either dual wielding or shield n board warriors.

Basically anyone use or know of any mod that helps a bit in closing the gap between warrior/rogue and mages? Plus mods that buff two-handed so it's not such a useless weapon talent?

Xevren

ElectricBlue187 said:

I laughed pretty hard when Zevran was commenting on Wynn's magical bosom.

akenatone

Finished the game tonight on the 360. It took me just about 34 hours without doing any reloads to get better outcomes or anything; i dabbled on some sidequests, had about 75% world discovered.
Bioware seem to be getting better and better at their writing which made the codex a joy to read. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to some nice DLC. Hopefully it'll be out a month or two after the release of Mass Effect 2.

Decided not to go with PS3.
I have one request though:

Somone give us a heads up if a mod (or ini command) comes out that sets Mouselook toggle mmm k, thanks! :D

I just met Morrigan, and I was like is that Claudia Black? Is it? IS IT? And holy shit it is! Frell yesssssssssssss. I'm totally gonna romance Aeryn Sun. <3

Fredescu

ElectricBlue187 said:
I liked that one.

This was my favourite:
shaleshoes.jpg

That whole conversation was great.

I had Shale, Leliane, and Alistair for most of the game and the banter was amazing all the way through. This time I'm using Wynne, Morrigan, and Shale, and it's not a patch on my first group. All they do is bitch at each other. I haven't finished yet though, and with my first group I've found that their relationships progressed as you went on, and they seemed to gain more respect for each other as the game went on. Perhaps this is all I'm missing with my new group.

This bit of banter was the start of a series of half a dozen or so different banters between Leliana and Shale:

shalebelief.jpg

Leliana planning a song about Shale:
shalekill.jpg

Shale is so frequently unforgiving with Alistair, it's great.
shaleindecisive.jpg

Bonus Oghren toilet humour. I love the voice acting for Oghren, he really sells the bad jokes.
oghrenblade.jpg

Pardon the artifacts, I'm lazy.

legend166

Question:

I've been to the Magi Tower and Redcliffe so far - are the other places different in their structure? It's sorta annoying that you reach a town and there's an immediate crisis you must attend to and you can't do anything else.

Or have I just picked the two that are like that?

Fredescu

The camp is in the top right of the world map, kind of disconnected from it. You don't get random encounters when you travel to it either.

panda21

man this is awesome but i think i really suck at it. i dont understand the combat and there wasnt really much of a tutorial.

it seems whenever bad guys turn up my party members i'm not controlling just decide to charge off at them without me telling them to which i don't like so much. my usual tactic is to just hit L1+R1 (select everyone) then press L2 (radial menu thing) and tell them to all attack the same guy, and just do that on all of them till everyone is dead one way or the other :lol

i'm thinking this strategy probably won't get me far ultimately though. i get the impression i'm meant to be telling everyone what to do one by one rather than leave it up to the A'I' but pausing it to open the radial, as soon as i choose an action it unpauses, and the guy charges off and i'm left flailing L1/R1 to try and select the next guy i want to give an order to so i can pause it again.

but usually by the time i get to them something has gone down and my plans have changed and ARGHGHHH its frustrating :lol

i think i'm doing it wrong? it never really explained the controls adequately. and can you zoom the viewpoint out so its more overhead than third person?

akenatone said:
Finished the game tonight on the 360. It took me just about 34 hours without doing any reloads to get better outcomes or anything; i dabbled on some sidequests, had about 75% world discovered.

I'm so glad I didn't reload for better outcomes. I found it really satisfying at the end to sit back and hear about both the good and bad consequences of my decisions.

Plus, this way the game will still seem fresh on subsequent plays. Think I'm going to go with a hardass Arcane Warrior (and maybe Blood) mage next time, myself.

Got I hate internet people sometimes. Some douche bag posted on my youtube impressions video trying to say dragon ages story is shitty, the graphics are the worst this gen, and that im blinded by old school rpgs, and ohhh he bought it and traded it in the next day it was so bad.

God people are dumb!

Then again this is from the guy who I guess got the zune logo tatoo'd on his arm so it makes sense... he's a dumbass.

Icarus

John Harker said:
Um, I'm doing the Red Cliffe Conner thing, and I picked to go to the Circle for help... but do I now have to do the entire Circle quest first? I just wanna finished Red Cliffe first...

Yes... you do need to finish the whole Mage circle quest BEFORE you can go back to Redcliff. I did the same thing. :)

akenatone said:
Bioware seem to be getting better and better at their writing which made the codex a joy to read. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to some nice DLC. Hopefully it'll be out a month or two after the release of Mass Effect 2.

I have 91% of the world discovered. I just don't know what the other 9% is. Does the downloadable content come under that as well? However
I did hear that when you rescue the queen from the Earl's place, and you get surrounded by the guards, you will have to go to the prison to unlock Fort Drakon Part 1, however, unlike me if you manage to kill all those guards, you are out of luck my friends :D

tuco11

Just picked this up for the Ps3. I am really early on. Going with an Elven mage, Arcane warrior/Blood mage. Was wondering what a good party make up would be. Do I need to use a Rogue just so I can open chests? I was thinkng a Warrior and maybe 3 other Mages? I read that I should use Wynne for healing.

thanks.

tuco11 said:
Just picked this up for the Ps3. I am really early on. Going with an Elven mage, Arcane warrior/Blood mage. Was wondering what a good party make up would be. Do I need to use a Rogue just so I can open chests? I was thinkng a Warrior and maybe 3 other Mages? I read that I should use Wynne for healing.

thanks.

Personally, I liked the idea of opening the chests considering the fact that there are more than quite a few, which gives a strong reason of having a 'Rogue' in your party. I was a Rogue on my first playthrough, and I didn't realize how much I needed him until I started my second playthrough as a warrior and got Leliana in my party.

So yes, I would definitely suggest having a 'Rogue' in the part, Warrior, Rogue, 2 Mages should do it. Wouldn't hurt to have 2 of anything but would definitely be nice to have atleast one of each to make it more diverse.

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't think I'd be able to afford playing without a Rogue, plus the handicap of a not-so-great member is a little fun, adding to the challenge.

I've been buying backpacks everywhere I can... up to 100 capacity now, and can purchase another to get to 110 at the camp, but I can't afford it.

And I've been completely skipping purchasing any weapons/armor, I haven't been able to afford to get any skill raising books or specialization books, and am barely scrapping by, even though I am looting everything! Without the rogue to loot locked chests, I'd probably be a backpack or two behind... it's really hard to make money so far, level 11 or 12 returning to
Redcliffe Castle after the Magic Tower

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sweetvar26 said:
Personally, I liked the idea of opening the chests considering the fact that there are more than quite a few, which gives a strong reason of having a 'Rogue' in your party. I was a Rogue on my first playthrough, and I didn't realize how much I needed him until I started my second playthrough as a warrior and got Leliana in my party.

So yes, I would definitely suggest having a 'Rogue' in the part, Warrior, Rogue, 2 Mages should do it. Wouldn't hurt to have 2 of anything but would definitely be nice to have atleast one of each to make it more diverse.
I just go back and scavenge. It's tedious but I like my party.

tuco11 said:

thanks.

I usually use two warriors, one rogue and one mage (except for when I played as a mage and I had two mages then one rogue and one warrior). It's worked pretty well for me. Although for your current build you'll definitely want to use another mage for healing. Wynne is the best starting healer, but Morrigan can be just as good after leveling her up some.

Top Bottom