• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

RPGCrazied

Whats with beating the game, and not being able to go to previous areas to finish out quests?

I think thats the most annoying part of the game. I bet a PC mod will fix that, but console users are screwed

Walshicus

RPGCrazied said:
Whats with beating the game, and not being able to go to previous areas to finish out quests?

I think thats the most annoying part of the game. I bet paid-for DLC will fix that, but console users are screwed

Fixed.

ACE 1991

I'm really tempted to pick this game up for $40 on Amazon for PS3. Are the console versions still highly enjoyable experiences? I realize the PC version is superior...

Khrno

I got the "Unable to load area" bug in Denerim during the last mission when leaving the Market towards the Palace, then when I tried to reload the save from the main menu, the game hung and I had to restart the 360.

After that I could continue without more issues until right at the end, when the game was saving after all the ending story bits had been displayed on the screen.

Great game, but rather disappointed with how bugged it was, specially with those 2 hangs at the end. Oh and not being able to go abck to any previous area after completing it sucks too.

Paznos

ACE 1991 said:
Yeah, I'm seriously considering the PS3 version.
I've been playing the PS3 version, already beat the game once and I'm on my 2nd playthrough it's great fun don't think you'll regret it.

vareon

It's kinda annoying that you can't make a note on a map. I don't have a lockpicker on my party and sometimes I would like to go back to open the chests. Is there any mod that enables map notes?

ACE 1991

Paznos said:
I've been playing the PS3 version, already beat the game once and I'm on my 2nd playthrough it's great fun don't think you'll regret it.

Yup, I'm ordering it now for $40 on Amazon. Some of the reviews I'm reading have been saying that to compensate for the less ideal control scheme on the console versions the game is easier than there PC counterpart? Is this true?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Doytch said:
I'll try to keep this post up to date with nice mods I see. If you want me to include something, or think I should change the ordering, or whatever, let me know.

Basic Mods that Everyone Should Install
Dexterity Hotfix - Fixes the way bows and daggers calculate attack bonus and damage. Must have if you've a rogue in your party. Written by the Dragon Age gameplay engineer at Bioware.
Camp Storage Chest - Puts a chest in your camp site...
Respec Mod (Potions) - Adds a raven in your camp gives you potions that refund all your attribute/talent/skill/specialization points.
HD Textures - If you're barely running the game, you might have some issues with larger textures, but most people should at least give it a shot.

Tactics Mods
25 Tactics Slots - Self explanatory
Advanced Tactics - Adds extra conditions for to the Tactics menu that were disabled by the devs for unknown reasons.

More Esoteric Mods
Open Lock Spells - So you don't have to drag a rogue along in your party.
Items Received - Tells you what item you just got
Enchant Any Weapon - Again, pretty self-explanatory; lets you enchant bows/staves
Winter Forge - Lets you craft any kind of item you want. Naturally you can bork the balance with this mod, so I'd advise against using it the first time through.

Can't download the "Items Received" mod. Site tells me I'm not allowed, even though I'm registered.
Open Lock Spell DL doesn't work either... Any mirrors?

Paznos

ACE 1991 said:
Yup, I'm ordering it now for $40 on Amazon. Some of the reviews I'm reading have been saying that to compensate for the less ideal control scheme on the console versions the game is easier than there PC counterpart? Is this true?
I haven't played the PC version so can't comment how difficult that version is but there are times when the console version can be pretty difficult and this is on the normal difficulty I don't think the radial wheel control scheme makes the game easier but it works pretty well for the consoles once you get use to it.

ACE 1991

Paznos said:
I haven't played the PC version so can't comment how difficult that version is but there are times when the console version can be pretty difficult and this is on the normal difficulty I don't think the radial wheel control scheme makes the game easier but it works pretty well for the consoles once you get use to it.

Okay. There is an easy difficulty option, correct?

ShutEye

Picked this up at Futureshop's $40 sale (360) (CDN). I've only played for a couple hours but it's fantastic so far. The music is just awesome. I love Bioware.

ACE 1991

Speaking of difficulty, how formidable is game on casual? I've heard some things about this game being difficult, and I'm generally pretty terrible at games :lol

Paznos

Well in all honesty there were only a few times on my first playthrough as a mage where I had trouble with a few battles but I only really had to change the difficulty once and that was just after several times of dying and retrying the battle could have been that I brought the wrong people to the battle but other than that things weren't that bad.

ACE 1991 said:
Speaking of difficulty, how formidable is game on casual? I've heard some things about this game being difficult, and I'm generally pretty terrible at games :lol

Pretty damn easy, I played on normal but changed it to casual on a few fights and blew through that fight.

So are there any storyline related consequences to becoming a blood mage?

That's the only reason I didn't take it when I had the chance...and now I'm regretting it.

Nif

Chris_C said:
Can anyone tell me what the "Other Campaigns" tab is on the main menu? It's grayed out for me so I can't select it.

I think it's for mods that are seperate campaigns, and maybe some expansions in the future. Might not see any of those for a while.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
ALaz502 said:

That's the only reason I didn't take it when I had the chance...and now I'm regretting it.

I think Wynne will leave your party

ALaz502 said:

None.

Pankaks said:
I think Wynne will leave your party

Not in my game. Although maybe I didnt have her yet when I unlocked it. Still though, I actually made her a blood mage when she hit level 14 just for the hell of it.

Doytch

Des0lar said:
Can't download the "Items Received" mod. Site tells me I'm not allowed, even though I'm registered.
Open Lock Spell DL doesn't work either... Any mirrors?
Items Received: Does this link work? If it doesn't, and try navigating to the Downloads section on the top, then searching under Gameplay for it. I had some issues with links on this site too, but I couldn't find a mirror. If it still doesn't work, I'll re-up it on some file sharing site (any preference?).
Open Lock: I assume you're registered with the ___Nexus group of sites? It seems to be running a bit slower than usual, but it is downloading for me.

ALaz502 said:

Wynne will leave you if she's with you, Leiliana will leave you at that time or when you get back to camp.

MotherFan

Loving the game so far, but sadly have not had too much time to play since I picked it up on thursday night. Using a Human Noble warrior and am enjoying the story so far. Just started my
quest to become a grey warden
and the combat is alot of fun. The only gripe I have so far is that I don't have enough options for the graphical settings as the use frame option lumps like 5 different things into it and none can be individually modified.

Lots of fun though and the game looks very nice.

ShockingAlberto said:
Wynne will leave you if she's with you, Leiliana will leave you at that time or when you get back to camp.

Leiliana didn't care at all in my game. All that happened was Alistair bitched at me, I told him to shut the fuck up and got minus 25 respect with him, which was fixed a few seconds later with a couple of gifts. Not even a peep from Leiliana.

Phntmbanana

Neo Member
I'm really digging this game, about 3 hours in as a dwarf noble warrior. I kinda wish I picked a mage but maybe I'll do that the next playthrough. The story is really engaging, but I have a hard time beliving it will keep as good as its been but if it does I'd be really happy.

ACE 1991

So are most of you playing through the game making decisions based upon how you would react in a given situation, or how your character would? i.e. if your character is "evil," one would make decisions that are decidedly sinister.

Ventrue

ACE 1991 said:
So are most of you playing through the game making decisions based upon how you would react in a given situation, or how your character would? i.e. if your character is "evil," one would make decisions that are decidedly sinister.
Character, mostly. The origins provide a great framework for roleplaying a character.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
ACE 1991 said:

I'm responding to all the dialogue the way I would in real-life. I really appreciate that all the decisions are not all Black and White.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I find it actually hard to pick choices I wouldn't do IRL.

Apparently, I'm kind of an asshole, according to Bioware's morality system.

Draft

:lol

You people weren't kidding about getting a healer. Turned the game from a frustrating exercise in resource management to a frustrating exercise in playing whack a mole with enemy mages before they cast fireball.

Acidote

I started my second playthrough picking choices as I would IRL, and after seeing there are no benefits for being a jerk, I continued my game picking choices as I did in the first one.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Paznos said:

It is however retarded that if you select for the wheel to "toggle mode" instead of "hold to stay open" you lose the ability to issue multiple commands at once.

Anso

Bitmap Frogs said:
It is however retarded that if you select for the wheel to "toggle mode" instead of "hold to stay open" you lose the ability to issue multiple commands at once.

This is pretty much the only thing really annoying me about the console version. This and the extreme difference in sound levels between different parts of the game, that just kills me.

ACE 1991

The PS3 version is still wholly enjoyable, right? It hurts me a little that I'm going to be playing an inferior version of the game, due to my computer's inability to run this game adequately.

Anso

ACE 1991 said:
The PS3 version is still wholly enjoyable, right? It hurts me a little that I'm going to be playing an inferior version of the game, due to my computer's inability to run this game adequately.

It's probably the same as the 360 version and I've spent 70+ amazing hours with it. I think it's great.

Top Bottom