• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Wallach

SquirrelNuckle said:
Okay I'm stuck.
I'm in the fade and have done all three nightmares and freed my partners. For some reason the middle section is still black and won't let me access the Inner Spectrum.

Any ideas on what I need to do?

Are you sure you killed all of the lower demons in the inner circle? I think there's one in the Raw Fade right behind you as you come in behind a Spirit Door.

Manus

Wallach said:
Are you sure you killed all of the lower demons in the inner circle? I think there's one in the Raw Fade right behind you as you come in behind a Spirit Door.

Ah, thank you! I never would have thought there would have been one there, since I got access to the
nightmares.

Rufus

Mar_ said:
Well, I thought I was sure. Can anyone else comment? I tried everything I could think of to back out of that menu or continue, but the only option was 'undo' which took you back to the stat increasing menu. Which again, the only option was 'undo'.
On the PC version at least it's exactly as he and others have said. You can assign any number of attribute points, skills or abilities/spells and just hit "play" at the end. It applies whatever you picked and stores what's left, leaving the plus symbol next to the character's portrait to inform you of unspent points. (The level up message in the lower left will also appear on area transitions, but that's not much of an annoyance.)

SquirrelNuckle said:
Ah, thank you! I never would have thought there would have been one there, since I got access to the
nightmares.

Also go back to the other places as you can use the spirit power to find some nice point upgrades :D

bryehn

Totally underwhelmed and kind of disappointed by the first couple hours I played last night.

Trying to sink into it today, have plenty of time and can't get work done.

Got the PS3 version from a Goozex trade and it runs like complete shit. My PS3 is not online 'cause I just moved, is there any performance patches or do I have to put up with the headache inducing tearing and frame drops?

g23

European pre-madonna
Anyone else regretted it when
alistair left and loghain replaced him

i was :(

I tried to salvage my mistake but it was too late...the final part of the game seemed soo depressing without him :(

TheFallen

g23 said:

I tried to salvage my mistake but it was too late...the final part of the game seemed soo depressing without him :(
He begged you, practically crying, and you still didn't kill Loghain? YOU'RE A BAD PERSON, jk. I let Alistair kill Loghain himself. What do you need another tank for?

Truant

I'm finding it hard to muster the will to finish this thing. It just isn't as good as the Infinity Engine games :(

There's no sense of progression for me. No cool items, no interesting quests. I'd hate to admit it, but I'm disappointed.

Walshicus

If you play as a Dwarf are you still forced into
the Fade
? I thought I read that Dwarves had no connection to
the Fade

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sir Fragula said:
the Fade
the Fade

Yes, you are still forced to do that segment. I just did. :/

gotee12

bryehn said:
Got the PS3 version from a Goozex trade and it runs like complete shit. My PS3 is not online 'cause I just moved, is there any performance patches or do I have to put up with the headache inducing tearing and frame drops?

No word on an official patch yet. Out of curiosity, are you using the stock hd in your PS3? On the official Bioware forum, a few users report no frame rate issues and they say that they have replaced the stock hd with a different one. Just curious...

bryehn

gotee12 said:
No word on an official patch yet. Out of curiosity, are you using the stock hd in your PS3? On the official Bioware forum, a few users report no frame rate issues and they say that they have replaced the stock hd with a different one. Just curious...

Still using a stock 60GB. I expected a poor frame rate but the tearing is rough on my eyes, literally causes headaches.

Nemesis_

Sir Fragula said:
the Fade
the Fade

Yeah, this seems kinda retarded that YOU DO! Or is that not The Fade and instead something else? I wonder how BioWare thought this through when storyboarding it or something.

gotee12

bryehn said:
Still using a stock 60GB. I expected a poor frame rate but the tearing is rough on my eyes, literally causes headaches.

I've not experienced any screen tearing, just a constant 1/4 second freeze every 2-3 seconds and some cutscenes not playing properly. This is what leads me to believe that the PS3 issues are more centered around hardware revisions/component firmware versions between the individual consoles. Everyone reports a slightly different issue, yet everyone reports being on the same PS3 firmware version (3.10). Some folks have zero to very little noticeable problems while others have bigger issues. Heck, it may even be an issue with varying refresh rates/HDMI spec's/etc. of our individual HD tv's. Strange....

Doytch

Nemesis556 said:
Yeah, this seems kinda retarded that YOU DO! Or is that not The Fade and instead something else? I wonder how BioWare thought this through when storyboarding it or something.
I was wondering why the lyrium veins weren't healing me in the fade, then I realised that it's probably a dwarf thing. So I think they thought about some things at least...

54-46!

I was hoping that 1.02 would fix some of the quests, "Cammen's Lament" and "A Prince's Favor: The First Task" (and "A Lord's Trust: The First Task"), these two are broken. I don't want unfinished stuff in my Journal when I start the final battle ._.

Kosma

Banned
Okay lorddarkflare as per request.

Fade is definately not the best dungeon, in fact its one of the worst. It has some nice ideas but the fight are pretty lame as you are on your own so they cant be really challenging and are straightforward. It feels very much like a single player B console game. You also claimed that its the only part of the game thats actually pretty, imho it was the ugliest. The rest of the game has a nice coherent dark look to it.

All of the big dungeons are pretty cool and have some nice varied encounters. You say that there are too many and too much alike, I say by the time you think you got it locked down something new happens. Ofcourse with some OP techniques almost nothing is a hassle at some point anymore. You also had trouble with the last encounter in the Deep Roads, thats just plain personal and arbitrary, I beat it on the first go.

The rewards and loot in this game are awesome, there something somewhere for everyone. Every unique piece actually feels unique and special and every random piece is just random. Very realistic. As you would expect most common folk drop common stuff, as it should be. You dont need to pick everything up, this is not Diablo.

Sysgen

Had this in my queue for a couple of weeks and decided to start it over the weekend. The game is amazing so far. I 'm a huge BG/2 fan and this reminds me so much of why I played BG for so many hours. The attention to detail is amazing and well appreciated and the voice work is superb.

671209.png

I started as noble dwarf and that characters opening was fantastic. I'm sure others have a dwarf that looks close to this. I just tweaked one of the presets slightly.

I have the PC version running @ 1680X1050 8AA/16AF. The graphics are just OK but some of the texture work ranges from embarrassing to just OK and that's a shame though I do like the level layout. I've read that there are texture mods in development. Mods I'm using: DLC Merchandise, Expanded Inventory and Storage Chest.

54-46! said:
I was hoping that 1.02 would fix some of the quests, "Cammen's Lament" and "A Prince's Favor: The First Task" (and "A Lord's Trust: The First Task"), these two are broken. I don't want unfinished stuff in my Journal when I start the final battle ._.

What's broken about A Prince's Favor and A Lord's Trust? I just completed A Lord's Trust, and I don't see anything apparently broken.

Doytch

Added a few more mods, reorganized it:
Gameplay Mods
Dexterity Hotfix - Fixes the way bows and daggers calculate attack bonus and damage. Must have if you've a rogue in your party. Written by the Dragon Age gameplay engineer at Bioware. (Daggers are fixed in the 1.02 retail patch, but archery is still borked)
Nightmare Plus - Fixes enemy AI, tweaks spells, adds a lyrium addiction system. Delivered in a module system so you can enable/disable changes as you wish. Recommended for second/multiple playthroughs for a bit of an extra challenge.
Open Lock Spells - So you don't have to drag a rogue along in your party.

Convenience/UI Mods
Respec Mod (Potions) - Adds a raven in your camp gives you potions that refund all your attribute/talent/skill/specialization points.
Camp Storage Chest - Puts a chest in your camp site...
Detailed Tooltips - Turns stuff like "Instantly restores moderate health" to "Instantly restores (50+SP)*3 health."
Annoyance Remover - Changes the visual effects for the persistent auras to one-/two-second things.
Items Received - Tells you what item you just got

Tactics System Mods
25 Tactics Slots - Self explanatory
Advanced Tactics - Adds extra conditions for to the Tactics menu that were disabled by the devs for unknown reasons.

Graphics Mods
JB Textures - If you're barely running the game, you might have some issues with larger textures, but most people should at least give it a shot. (Formerly called HD Textures.)

Item Mods
DLC Items - Adds doppelgangers for the various sundry items you get for preordering at <insert_game_store_name>
Enchant Any Weapon - Again, pretty self-explanatory; lets you enchant bows/staves. This can throw off item balance, so use it wisely....or not.
Winter Forge - Lets you craft any kind of item you want. Naturally you can bork the balance with this mod, so I'd advise against using it the first time through.

Mar_ said:
One thing I forgot to mention. This game is damn hard. I'm only playing on Normal, yet there are a number of encounters that have been near impossible and I've won with luck (dice roll?) or by exploiting the AI.
Probably playing this game the week I have off coming up. Is there an Easy dufficulty? Sorry GAF. This is usually not the type of game I play and I'd probably get my ass whooped on Normal.

Alucrid

Banned
CitizenCope said:
Probably playing this game the week I have off coming up. Is there an Easy dufficulty? Sorry GAF. This is usually not the type of game I play and I'd probably get my ass whooped on Normal.

Yep there's an easy.

Cheech

Kosma said:
Whats wrong with it? Didnt encounter any bugs there.

Orzammar has some nasty quest glitches. I found one myself that triggered when I initially supported one (light spoiler)
dwarf king (Behren?) but switched to the other guy at the very last second. Well, the other guy gave me the same set of quests that Behren gave me, which obviously were not complete-able.

Kosma

Banned
Oh yeah thats possible I still have one of the questlines open,
eventhough everythig is solved and the prince is dead.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
g23 said:

Motherfucker ran off with my Warden's Commander armor >:|.

Wallach

Sysgen said:
Had this in my queue for a couple of weeks and decided to start it over the weekend. The game is amazing so far. I 'm a huge BG/2 fan and this reminds me so much of why I played BG for so many hours. The attention to detail is amazing and well appreciated and the voice work is superb.

671209.png

I started as noble dwarf and that characters opening was fantastic. I'm sure others have a dwarf that looks close to this. I just tweaked one of the presets slightly.

I have the PC version running @ 1680X1050 8AA/16AF. The graphics are just OK but some of the texture work ranges from embarrassing to just OK and that's a shame though I do like the level layout. I've read that there are texture mods in development. Mods I'm using: DLC Merchandise, Expanded Inventory and Storage Chest.

Just FYI if you tweak any preset with a beard (or try to add a beard to any preset without one), your cheek slider values get sucked all the way to the left, which is why you're so gaunt. There's only one way around this (at least as a dwarf) and that is to set all of your customization settings first with no beard, including jaws/cheecks, then use the first beard to the right on the beard slider. After you set the beard, any type of change whatsoever will revert your jaws/cheeks back to their lowest values.

Strampas

Neo Member
So many games and so little time, but I've spent at least a few hours with Dragon Age on PS3. Love the game so far, even though I'm not playing it to it's fullest, meaning I don't use tactic slots and so on. I'm on 26 quests atm, which is maybe too much. I usually just run around the world, hoping to complete them.

I need advice though. I'm a mage and have chosen to become a shapeshifter. At level ten, I did spend some money on new gear, since I've been having the same gear since the start. From the same merchant I also bought the spirit healer book. After that, I had no money, and could not find the spirit healer book in my inventory, so I loaded the save before that, looked through the merchants supplies and could not find the book again. But, is it wise to pick several specializations? Or will you have too many spells, since you only have 6 (?!) spell slots. Should I rather buy specialization books for my party? For exampel a tank (If I find one)?

Pankaks said:
Motherfucker ran off with my Warden's Commander armor >:|.

It should be in a chest near
where Alistair was standing in Arl Eamon's Denerim mansion. At least all his stuff was there for me, although I had Alistair killed instead of letting him go so maybe that changes things.

Macmanus

Strampas said:
From the same merchant I also bought the spirit healer book. After that, I had no money, and could not find the spirit healer book in my inventory, so I loaded the save before that, looked through the merchants supplies and could not find the book again. But, is it wise to pick several specializations? Or will you have too many spells, since you only have 6 (?!) spell slots. Should I rather buy specialization books for my party? For exampel a tank (If I find one)?

Once you purchase the book, the specialization should be unlocked. The thing with unlocking said specializations is that they become unlocked indefinitely on all play throughs. So you spent the 15g to unlock spirit healer forever, which isn't that terrible of an investment (despite the fact that I believe you can learn it from Wynn.)

Wallach

Macmanus said:
Once you purchase the book, the specialization should be unlocked. The thing with unlocking said specializations is that they become unlocked indefinitely on all play throughs. So you spent the 15g to unlock spirit healer forever, which isn't that terrible of an investment (despite the fact that I believe you can learn it from Wynn.)

Or just save your game, spend the 15g to unlock it, then reload your save with the spec unlocked.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
It should be in a chest near
where Alistair was standing in Arl Eamon's Denerim mansion. At least all his stuff was there for me, although I had Alistair killed instead of letting him go so maybe that changes things.

Yea I just told him that "We need Loghain to help us fight the blight, blah, blah" And he ran off like a little school girl. I don't recall seeing a chest. Maybe it was there, maybe not, I was in a rush to get to the ending.

Without Alistar (And Morrigan because I didn't wanna make babies) the final fight was ridiculously hard for me and I had to turn it down to casual.

Tideas

Banned
some questions on using tactics to follow up with what i was saying earlier.

Even when I set my NPC to aggressive, the melee/range ones aren't auto attacking even when i ahve tactics set up to: Enemy - Any : Attack.

It seems as though, once the NPC has used an ability to knock down or stun the enemy, they will just stop attacking and stand there, which is annoying. Even when I direct my guys to attack, the melee one will just swing once...and then stop!

Anybody help?

notworksafe

Tideas said:
some questions on using tactics to follow up with what i was saying earlier.

Even when I set my NPC to aggressive, the melee/range ones aren't auto attacking even when i ahve tactics set up to: Enemy - Any : Attack.

It seems as though, once the NPC has used an ability to knock down or stun the enemy, they will just stop attacking and stand there, which is annoying. Even when I direct my guys to attack, the melee one will just swing once...and then stop!

Anybody help?

I believe this is fixed in the 1.02 patch.

# Party members whose combat tactics were set to defensive behavior no longer stop attacking after using a spell or talent.
# In rare cases, combat tactics conditions could fail to determine whether a character had enough mana or stamina to use an ability. This no longer occurs.

Worth a shot to try it at least. Perhaps you have the tactics turned off for the characters?

Sysgen

Doytch said:
Added a few more mods, reorganized it:

There are issues wuith many of those mods so, as to say buyer beware. On the dexterity hotfix:
This hotfix applies to all creatures in the game, not just the party members. Due to enemies outnumbering the party in most situations, the benefits of better ranged weapons act asymmetric in favor of enemy groups. \\Installing this hotfix will cause a steep increase in difficulty by almost a full level for any encounters that include multiple archers. If you are having trouble with easy or normal difficulty, stay away from this hotfix until we have updated it to offset these effects.

On the 25 tactics slots:

Patch 1.01 only. Delete this file before the next patch.

Nemesis_

Is there like an official list for the Traveller achievement? I swear it's impossible to attain and I visited EVERYWHERE! >_>

Doytch

Yeah, naturally there's a risk that any mod won't play nice with another, or it'll do something strange. But it's a low percentage risk, and you can just turn it off or remove if it you notice anything awry. WRT to the specific things you mentioned:
Sysgen said:
There are issues wuith many of those mods so, as to say buyer beware. On the dexterity hotfix:
Eh, honestly, the warning about CPU archers being hard is overstated. Just shift your order of importance of targets from mage->melee->archers to mage->archers->melee. I never really read too many complaints about it. It's essentially a must-have fix at this point in the lifecycle of the game since archery is functionally broken, as admitted by Bioware.
On the 25 tactics slots:
Pretty sure that's the bog-standard "Built for version <current_number>" mod disclaimer. Works fine for me in any case.

Wallach

Doytch said:
Yeah, naturally there's a risk that any mod won't play nice with another, or it'll do something strange. But it's a low percentage risk, and you can just turn it off or remove if it you notice anything awry. WRT to the specific things you mentioned:

Eh, honestly, the warning about CPU archers being hard is overstated. Just shift your order of importance of targets from mage->melee->archers to mage->archers->melee. I never really read too many complaints about it. It's essentially a must-have fix at this point in the lifecycle of the game since archery is functionally broken, as admitted by Bioware.

Pretty sure that's the bog-standard "Built for version <current_number>" mod disclaimer. Works fine for me in any case.

Personally I think the dex hotfix is a poorly thought out solution. It makes dex too much of a "catch all" for archers. I would rather wait for them to patch something into the client that makes more sense (and doesn't make a few of the "archer squads" you fight so bloody annoying).

Top Bottom