• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Lan_97

Question. I'm on PS3, and when I steal, many times I will get "Stealing Success!" but no notice of new items or money. When I steal again it will say "No Items to Steal." What's going on?

Minsc

Gold Member
So the
Great Oak
is definitely the best NPC in the game so far. Rhymes and great VA, with the combination of being a little bit frightening? Puts LotR to shame.

Rufus

hamchan said:
Omg just saw the superman reference :lol
Hope you picked up the metal in the middle of the crater, the smith at Warden's Keep can forge it into a weapon of your choice. I used the longsword he made for the rest of the game.

gotee12

Rufus said:
Hope you picked up the metal in the middle of the crater, the smith at Warden's Keep can forge it into a weapon of your choice. I used the longsword he made for the rest of the game.

You just made me a very happy man... :D

Lan_97 said:
Question. I'm on PS3, and when I steal, many times I will get "Stealing Success!" but no notice of new items or money. When I steal again it will say "No Items to Steal." What's going on?

Does it say "Item/money received?". Money shows as an amount, but you can't see the new item until you navigate to your inventory. New/unselected items have a yellowish border.

Meier

Started this a few nights back, about 4 hours in. Stayed up way too late and was a mess the next day at work on Monday actually.. anyhow, enjoying it quite a bit although I have to admit I find it a little odd that there is no way to bash open a chest with lockpicking apparently being very difficult. Is it solely based off dexterity? It's weird that other than my origin story with the fellow dwarf, none of my followers have had the ability to open any chests.. I feel like I am missing out and don't really have many options. Oh well, such is life.

Graphics are a mixed bag but I like the character models quite a bit. The lag on the minimap is weird more than anything else. I think I will like this game very much -- I can definitely see myself playing all of the origin stories to get their achievements.

One thing that frustrated me. I am so used to hitting the X to speed up the dialogue that I've skipped two apparently lengthy cut scenes now so it's a bit disappointing that it is so easy to do. Is there a way to watch old cut scenes in this?

Fafnir

Meier said:
none of my followers have had the ability to open any chests.. I feel like I am missing out and don't really have many options. Oh well, such is life.

You're not missing out on anything but 30 exp per chest, the loot in the locked chests are crap. The chests that do have something special are not locked.

Doytch

Meier said:
Started this a few nights back, about 4 hours in. Stayed up way too late and was a mess the next day at work on Monday actually.. anyhow, enjoying it quite a bit although I have to admit I find it a little odd that there is no way to bash open a chest with lockpicking apparently being very difficult. Is it solely based off dexterity? It's weird that other than my origin story with the fellow dwarf, none of my followers have had the ability to open any chests.. I feel like I am missing out and don't really have many options. Oh well, such is life.
It's based off cunning. 10 pts of cunning equal to one point in the open locks talent chain. There's a formula kicking around somewhere, but I can't find it atm.

Lan_97

Lone_Prodigy said:
Does it say "Item/money received?". Money shows as an amount, but you can't see the new item until you navigate to your inventory. New/unselected items have a yellowish border.

No, there is no "Items Received" message or money amount in the corner. It just tells me "Stealing Success!". This happens most of the time. Other times it will work like normal, where the item/money message pops up, or it says "No Items to Steal".

Minsc

Gold Member
Fafnir said:
You're not missing out on anything but 30 exp per chest, the loot in the locked chests are crap. The chests that do have something special are not locked.

From what I read there's a few locked chests with a significant amount of money (dozens of gold pieces), and also a few locked chests relevant to the plot of some of the character's side quests.

But, even without that, the extra money you get from locked chests is essential, I've been pawning everything I don't use, and I'm barely scrapping by, money is near-impossible to accumulate and I'm up to level 12 and not skipping a thing, exploring every last area... not that that's a bad thing, but it does mean I'll probably never have more than 1 or 2 gold pieces if this continues.

Without the help of selling the contents of locked chests, I'd be ever further behind.

54-46!

And I'm done, the ending certainly was.. underwhelming, not even a narration? bah. I might replay it when a bunch of new DLC or mods have come out later next year.

Draft

I sell off stuff I don't use and have a FUCK TON of money. Just finished my fourth "main" quest, which was the dwarf one, bought a 50 gold suit of armor from the crazy guy in the deep roads, and still have like 40 gold left over. That's after tipping the drake armor dude like 30 gold, and pretty much buying any skill tome, gift or other item that caught my eye. I wouldn't say that this game has money bloat like most RPGs, but I also feel pretty rich and I didn't have to grind or abuse a crafting system to get rich.

BeeDog

Minsc said:
From what I read there's a few locked chests with a significant amount of money (dozens of gold pieces), and also a few locked chests relevant to the plot of some of the character's side quests.

But, even without that, the extra money you get from locked chests is essential, I've been pawning everything I don't use, and I'm barely scrapping by, money is near-impossible to accumulate and I'm up to level 12 and not skipping a thing, exploring every last area... not that that's a bad thing, but it does mean I'll probably never have more than 1 or 2 gold pieces if this continues.

Without the help of selling the contents of locked chests, I'd be ever further behind.

Hm, dunno exactly where you are in the game, but near the end (though still having Orzammar left and several sidequests), I had around 250 gold pieces. During the end rush, I had passed 300 gold pieces. I don't think you'll have to worry much about the moneiz if you OCD areas like me.

Minsc

Gold Member
Draft said:
I sell off stuff I don't use and have a FUCK TON of money. Just finished my fourth "main" quest, which was the dwarf one, bought a 50 gold suit of armor from the crazy guy in the deep roads, and still have like 40 gold left over. That's after tipping the drake armor dude like 30 gold, and pretty much buying any skill tome, gift or other item that caught my eye. I wouldn't say that this game has money bloat like most RPGs, but I also feel pretty rich and I didn't have to grind or abuse a crafting system to get rich.

Doesn't that put you at pretty much the end of the game? There's only 4 main quests, one for
each army you recruit
. I'm still on the second main quest, so maybe I'll run in to my fortunes soon enough.

markatisu

Minsc said:

I have opened next to no locked chests and have over 130 gold and thats after buying pretty much everything I want. Trust me you will get money, have you been to Orzammar yet or done the Ruined Temple? Both those seemed to just bring the money out

Minsc

Gold Member
markatisu said:
I have opened next to no locked chests and have over 130 gold and thats after buying pretty much everything I want. Trust me you will get money, have you been to Orzammar yet or done the Ruined Temple? Both those seemed to just bring the money out

Nope, only been to Redcliffe & Mage Tower/Fade, am currently in the Danish Forest. It takes a long time to exhaust my party member's camp dialogues.

I mentioned this briefly on the last page, but is the
Great Oak
the best NPC in the game? I can't imagine any one else topping it.

Atrus

Gold Member
Well, if you don't want to exploit the Lotharing Money bug, you can always sell all arrows/bolts, take the aggressive route and kill everyone possible to sell their equipment (ie. side with both Bhelan and Harrowmont and spawn both of their supporters in Orzimaar), always ask for monetary rewards, always rob people before you let them go, and so forth.

There are also a few instances where you can steal something, and then kill people for another copy of the item. You can grab 2 Loghain's Crowns and 2 stolen Swords from the knight at the Wonders of Thedas.

Leveling up asap also helps. If you do Orzimaar last, you'll also have more high quality loot to sell for more money than if you did it first.

Arde5643

BeeDog said:
Hm, dunno exactly where you are in the game, but near the end (though still having Orzammar left and several sidequests), I had around 250 gold pieces. During the end rush, I had passed 300 gold pieces. I don't think you'll have to worry much about the moneiz if you OCD areas like me.
You'll need those moniez to buy the excellent armor/weapons though since they cost a hefty amount (80-140 gold for each item) so even if you have a lot of gold, it won't mean much once you buy the uber armor/weapon.

Draft

Minsc said:
Doesn't that put you at pretty much the end of the game? There's only 4 main quests, one for
each army you recruit
. I'm still on the second main quest, so maybe I'll run in to my fortunes soon enough.
Yes, basically, but my point is that I've had enough money to buy everything since basically the beginning of the game. In fact, a few pages back I was bitching because there weren't enough potions and shit for me TO buy.

JayDubya

Banned
That's really not a fuckton when the game has 100-150 sovereign items for sale, and crafting is expensive as it is.

There are ways to spend that money, I assure you.

Meier

Good to see it isn't that much of an issue although it's still disappointing. Do you ever get a follower who has high cunning? I want my Dwarf buddy back!

Is it worth even leveling it up as a Warrior or should I just accept missing out on chests?

Dipper145

Meier said:
Good to see it isn't that much of an issue although it's still disappointing. Do you ever get a follower who has high cunning? I want my Dwarf buddy back!

Is it worth even leveling it up as a Warrior or should I just accept missing out on chests?
You can get 2 rouges that you can train and use for lockpicking.

Arde5643

You also get quite a bit of exp from lockpicking and disarming traps.

10-50exp per lockpick and 30-60 exp per traps I think.

So combine all of those chests and traps you meet along the way, you could've leveled up once or twice thanks to lockpicking alone.

Mar

Fafnir said:

I've left a trail of locked chests which must rival the number of dead bodies. Glad to hear there's nothing much in them... Although extra xp and money wouldn't go astray.

demifiend

Overall impressions, spectacular. However:
Christ, is the Archdemon a motherfucker. I seem to run into some good old-fashioned Bioware bugs because I cannot even attack him at range when he drops below 50%. I can use my crossbow on him at the start, but it does 1 damage per hit. Alistair dies in a matter of seconds, and as soon as Wynne goes down, its only a matter of moments before the entire party folds. The two melee armies I have are too depleted to help for long. I am loving this game, but it seems like it penalizes you for playing a heavy melee character. Irritating in that a heavy melee character is their marketing boy for the entire game.

Wallach

If you are really hard up for sovereigns, it is possible to sell potent lyrium potions at a relatively high profit, especially if you are a dwarf noble. This is, effectively, an unending profit source dependent only on how much time you're willing to waste making potions as at a point you are able to buy all ingredients.

Lan_97

So, I have two bards, and I did some testing to see if two Songs of Courage stack. The answer, unfortunately is inconclusive. After checking stats, I noticed that sometimes the effect stack, sometimes there is no change, and other times the stats are actually lower. It also depends on which bard starts the song first. Awesome.

Alucrid

Banned
demifiend said:
Overall impressions, spectacular. However:
Christ, is the Archdemon a motherfucker. I seem to run into some good old-fashioned Bioware bugs because I cannot even attack him at range when he drops below 50%. I can use my crossbow on him at the start, but it does 1 damage per hit. Alistair dies in a matter of seconds, and as soon as Wynne goes down, its only a matter of moments before the entire party folds. The two melee armies I have are too depleted to help for long. I am loving this game, but it seems like it penalizes you for playing a heavy melee character. Irritating in that a heavy melee character is their marketing boy for the entire game.

I'm pretty sure that at a certain percentage he flys away and you have to use a ranged weapon, magic, or ballista. If you used the ballista on the left side overlooking where he lands you can continue to use that when he flys back to the platform you're on and kill him without much hassle. Beware, if you keep hitting him he'll continue to do the stun motion, so you have to stop firing arrows for the death cutscene to start or else you'll keep him in the endless stun motion.

Arde5643

Lan_97 said:
So, I have two bards, and I did some testing to see if two Songs of Courage stack. The answer, unfortunately is inconclusive. After checking stats, I noticed that sometimes the effect stack, sometimes there is no change, and other times the stats are actually lower. It also depends on which bard starts the song first. Awesome.
It does stack. It stacks for everyone besides the last bard doing the song.

:)

gotee12

Alucrid said:
Can someone enlighten me on something? Did the PS3 version of Dragon Age come with the Blood Dragon Armor?

Do you know what happens when you flip over the card that has the "Stone Prisoner" DLC code? You realize you also have a code for the Blood Armor.

I am such a friggin' idiot....

Lan_97

Arde5643 said:
It does stack. It stacks for everyone besides the last bard doing the song.

:)

Thanks. I had considered that, but I couldn't rationalize it with the numbers I saw. I will have to check again later.

EDIT: Just checked. Bard 1 sings, every gets a buff. Bard 2 sings, every gets an additional buff except Bard 2, who gets a debuff. ???

EDIT2: Oh I see what it is. Bard 2 gets only the effect of her own song, which was weaker than Bard 1.

Proc

Just did the stone prisoner quest. This dude is hilarious.

I'm in love with this game. I'm confident I will see this one until the end.

Playing as an ice/healing spec. Can't wait until I can unlock the arcane warrior specialization. Wearing plate as this dude would be unreal.

DeathNote said:
should i auto level? is there any resources that tell me the best places to put points per class?

I'm auto-leveling. Its been doing a fine job as far as I can tell. I really only like/have the time to focus on my main character's spec. I can see how it can become easily obsessed over, especially if you wish to distinguish members in your party of the same class.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Proc said:
Just did the stone prisoner quest. This dude is hilarious.

I'm in love with this game. I'm confident I will see this one until the end.

Playing as an ice/healing spec. Can't wait until I can unlock the arcane warrior specialization. Wearing plate as this dude would be unreal.

I'm auto-leveling. Its been doing a fine job as far as I can tell. I really only like/have the time to focus on my main character's spec. I can see how it can become easily obsessed over, especially if you wish to distinguish members in your party of the same class.
I'm at the beginning of the game. Your reply sounds like you're auto leveling the other characters and customizing your main? I'm trying to figure out what to do with my main.

Doytch

DeathNote said:
I'm at the beginning of the game. Your reply sounds like you're auto leveling the other characters and customizing your main? I'm trying to figure out what to do with my main.
What's your main? In general, pump strength for warriors until the high 30s so you can wear any armor, and put the rest in dexterity (for +hit and +armor/dodge) and constituion (for health). For rogues, you can go dex/str, dex/cun and cunning only. If you take either of the cunning options, check the Rogue talent lines for Lethality, which lets you use cunning as the melee modifier instead of strength. Cunning also buffs your utilitarian roles like lockpicking and trap-detecting, and occaisionally gives you dialogue choices. I'd recommend a dex/cun split since it's a good middle-ground. Mages I split between magic and willpower mostly. Pump constitution for rogues/mages if you feel they're dying too often, this is a pure feel thing for you.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Doytch said:
What's your main? In general, pump strength for warriors until the high 30s so you can wear any armor, and put the rest in dexterity (for +hit and +armor/dodge) and constituion (for health). For rogues, you can go dex/str, dex/cun and cunning only. If you take either of the cunning options, check the Rogue talent lines for Lethality, which lets you use cunning as the melee modifier instead of strength. Cunning also buffs your utilitarian roles like lockpicking and trap-detecting, and occaisionally gives you dialogue choices. I'd recommend a dex/cun split since it's a good middle-ground. Mages I split between magic and willpower mostly. Pump constitution for rogues/mages if you feel they're dying too often, this is a pure feel thing for you.
I have a dalish level 2 warrior.

I'm afraid to do anything, :lol I'm looking back at the posts a few days after releases. Seeing people play for 15 hours the deciding to start over because of no respec is scary. I'm even starting to rethink my warrior decision.

I'm not sure what any of the classes and specialization are like later in the game. Based on starting areas alone I like Dalish, Human Noble, and City Elf.

I'm assuming the starting areas aren't that long. So writing mage off might be a bad idea.

dionysus

Yaldog
54-46! said:
And I'm done, the ending certainly was.. underwhelming, not even a narration? bah. I might replay it when a bunch of new DLC or mods have come out later next year.

I just finished too. The ending is a big disappointment. Even the final battle sucks. 3/4 of my characters died half way through and I still beat it on my first try just by running around and summoning my troops. Just continues the wtf worthy difficulty curve of the game where trash is harder than bosses. Unbalanced too, they made melee completely worthless vs dragons.

Overall, I am satisfied with the experience as it is, in some ways, a return to crpg roots and is not very consolized at all.

Owzers

dionysus said:
I just finished too. The ending is a big disappointment. Even the final battle sucks. 3/4 of my characters died half way through and I still beat it on my first try just by running around and summoning my troops. Just continues the wtf worthy difficulty curve of the game where trash is harder than bosses. Unbalanced too, they made melee completely worthless vs dragons.

Overall, I am satisfied with the experience as it is, in some ways, a return to crpg roots and is not very consolized at all.

I loved this game, just finished it today, but it does COMPLETELY fall apart when trying to fight dragons. I don't know what the heck Bioware was thinking with this game when it came to those enemies. They should have gone even more environmental based attacks while leading your party around engaging in smaller fights between activation objects. Also, my troops got bugged so it left 2 swordy troops who couldnt die or do damage , so i couldnt call any other troops Xo.

Just finished a Human Noble Warrior, w/Morrigan romance, this afternoon. To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with the game... considering the last Bioware game I played, Mass Effect, seemed so much more realized and polished.

I second (or fourth, or twentieth) the complaint with the final battles. The difficulty tapers off significantly toward the end of the game.

One major gripe:

Morrigan gives you a ring so that you and her will always know where each other are... but after she just disappears after the final battle, your character acts as if he's just going to have to look blindly for her! That's one hell of a plot hole.

Pachinko

I just finished the first real dungeon and became an official grey warden. I'm still not sure what to think of this game. It feels quite a bit like playing WOW but the 360 version is surprisingly intact... almost too much maybe. I keep feeling like playing it on PC would be a better bet but I've come to realize that I dislike playing games at my computer.. well at least my current computer. For the time being I've merely borrowed it from a friend , I figure I should at least play through the coming battle against the darkspawn that I'm going to go out on a limb and guess will result in a loss for the good guys. Maybe mess around a bit after that and make a final decision.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
bonesmccoy said:
Just finished a Human Noble Warrior, w/Morrigan romance, this afternoon. To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with the game... considering the last Bioware game I played, Mass Effect, seemed so much more realized and polished.

I second (or fourth, or twentieth) the complaint with the final battles. The difficulty tapers off significantly toward the end of the game.

One major gripe:

Morrigan gives you a ring so that you and her will always know where each other are... but after she just disappears after the final battle, your character acts as if he's just going to have to look blindly for her! That's one hell of a plot hole.

You should take another look at that scene with Morrigan.
The ring she gave you allows her to know where you are and not the other way around.

Top Bottom