• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm a newb and trying to understand talents. I read that most people reach level 18 by the end of the game and I also read that you can have two specializations. If I'm a dual wielding rogue with two specializations that means I only get to choose 19 talents out of a possible 36? Excluding archery and assuming I don't level up further.

Fredescu

36 total is right, but I think you'll end up with a couple more than 19 at level 18. I don't remember exactly, but it would be more like 21/22 at level 18. You can buy tomes that grant you a talent point which would increase that further.

Nyx

I just completed the quest Lost in Dreams, and am running into trouble now.

I picked up the item from that mage’s corpse (I suck at remembering names), talked to Gregoire, and then I want to leave the tower, but everywhere I travel now, I run into the assassin Lohgrain sent, and I don’t stand a chance….

I only have Alistair and Morrigan in my party, and I’m a lvl 9 mage myself, and the whole assassin party is way too strong, usually I get stunned by some spell right away, the assassin party then kills Alistair in a few seconds, then me (when I get out of the stun), and then Morrigan.

Unfortunately I don’t have any potions left, as I used them all while fighting the Sloth Demon in Lost in Dreams…

Any hints maybe ? As I don’t want to start all over again just cause that Assassin is too strong….

Fredescu

Nyx said:
I only have Alistair and Morrigan in my party
Do you mean you don't have a full party? Do you have others at your camp you can go back and get? You don't get random encounters when travelling between your camp and the location you were just at, so you should be able to go back and pick them up. That also means you should be able to stock up on potions from the Quartermaster at the Mage tower, and the merchant at your camp. You might also not get a random encounter if you travel to the docks outside the mage tower, so that's another potential source of potions at the guy in the inn.

Nyx

Fredescu said:
Do you mean you don't have a full party? Do you have others at your camp you can go back and get? You don't get random encounters when travelling between your camp and the location you were just at, so you should be able to go back and pick them up. That also means you should be able to stock up on potions from the Quartermaster at the Mage tower, and the merchant at your camp. You might also not get a random encounter if you travel to the docks outside the mage tower, so that's another potential source of potions at the guy in the inn.

I never encountered anyone else who wanted to join my party, I read about Wynne, but I killed her before the Lost in Dreams q.

I could not find a merchant at the mage tower, but if I can travel to my camp without encountering the assassin, that should help as I can buy new potions, thanks !

Fredescu

Damn. You've missed four so far. You'll find that fight difficult with three people, and I don't think you'll be able to avoid that encounter now that it has been triggered. Put it on easy, chug potions, and hope for the best. There are no difficulty based achievements in case you're worried about that. At the end of that fight you'll
have the opportunity to get another party member. I recommend taking him up on his offer!

Edit: Actually, if you do find it too hard, I have a funny feeling that you don't get random encounters on the way to the Stone Prisoner quest. I think they turned them off for DLC. If you find it too hard, go do that quest so you'll have a fourth party member.

Nyx

Fredescu said:
Damn. You've missed four so far. You'll find that fight difficult with three people, and I don't think you'll be able to avoid that encounter now that it has been triggered. Put it on easy, chug potions, and hope for the best. There are no difficulty based achievements in case you're worried about that. At the end of that fight you'll
have the opportunity to get another party member. I recommend taking him up on his offer!

Edit: Actually, if you do find it too hard, I have a funny feeling that you don't get random encounters on the way to the Stone Prisoner quest. I think they turned them off for DLC. If you find it too hard, go do that quest so you'll have a fourth party member.

I missed four ? Ouch !
I remember I could get a dog, but I had to find stuff in The Wilds for him, and The Wilds was closed, couldn’t enter.

Then I travelled to Delferim, where I killed a knight, then did Redcliffe (as I got killed by the something-something Elite in Delferim), where I didn’t met anyone who wanted to join my party, and then did the Mage Tower q, where I met Wynne, but killed her.

Oh and regarding the Stone Prisoner q, that is for Shale right ?
I bought the game secondhand, and that code is already used. :/

I think I’ll just try to buy potions at camp and set the difficulty to easy, hopefully this will be enough.

Fredescu

Nyx said:
I missed four ? Ouch !
Yeah, one in Ostagar which you know about. Wynne, who you also know about. There were two in Lothering too.

Nyx said:
Oh and regarding the Stone Prisoner q, that is for Shale right ?
Yeah.

Nyx said:
I think I’ll just try to buy potions at camp and set the difficulty to easy, hopefully this will be enough.
Hope so. Don't forget to check if the guy at the docks has anything useful.

54-46!

Was it supposed to be this way?
During the final battle at Redcliffe and Denerim I could pretty much kill any normal orc with one hit, didn't matter wich character I used.. I also found the Archdemon to be fairly easy, at least compared to the High Dragon and Gaxkang.
I played on normal difficulty.

Maybe it was just my equipment and level that did it. I had the best armor and weapons for everyone in my party (Rogue (me), Alistair, Morrigan, Wynne) during the final battle, well except for the Fang dagger.. but then again, I wasn't a City Elf.

Doytch

DeathNote said:
I'm afraid to do anything, :lol I'm looking back at the posts a few days after releases. Seeing people play for 15 hours the deciding to start over because of no respec is scary. I'm even starting to rethink my warrior decision.
Don't worry about that. I think a lot of people restart with these games because they want to do everything perfectly, when you really don't have to. You can give yourself two or three bunk talents and throw points into willpower and it won't really make you utterly gimped.

I'm a newb and trying to understand talents. I read that most people reach level 18 by the end of the game and I also read that you can have two specializations. If I'm a dual wielding rogue with two specializations that means I only get to choose 19 talents out of a possible 36? Excluding archery and assuming I don't level up further.
So, you get one spec point each at levels seven and fourteen. That's all you use them for, you can see what specs are available to your class on the first level-up screen. You start as a rogue, and define your "class" by how you allocate your points really. So if you wanted to be a dual-wield rogue, you'd need high dexterity to meet the requirements for the dual-wield talents (and other stuff, but yeah). If you decide to put your spec points into, say, Assassin and Bard, you'll open up two more talent lines that you can put points in. You don't have to put points into them if you don't want, and can just pick a spec for the inherent stat boosts it gives you. So no matter what specs you pick, you'll get the same amount of talent points, you just open up extra talents that you can spend them on. Help?

ethelred

Buy a Dragon Age t-shirt at Hot Topic, get more DLC! :lol

An exclusive DLC amulet, the Mark of Vigilance. Not all maleficar practice forbidden blood magic, but templars must constantly guard against the possibility that even an innocuous-seeming mage has delved into arts that permit him to control the minds of others. The best mage-hunters are granted these valued amulets as rewards by the Divine. They are often entombed alongside the templar when he dies.

* Adds 2% to spell resist
* Adds +6 to defense
* Adds +5 to mental resist

This will be made available to buyers of the t–shirt, via a download card that you pick up at the point of purchase. Head to your local Hot Topic to grab yours.

Zalasta

Just like to mention that the one thing I really love doing in DA was seeing my camp filling up with party members and NPC. I had thought that the Warden's Keep was going to be a castle I can rebuild a la Suikoden style but I was disappointed that did not turn out to be the case. Thinking about it, I'm curious why that mechanic never caught on in subsequent RPG's. In fact, I can't remember any recent games with that feature.

Doytch

Zalasta said:
Just like to mention that the one thing I really love doing in DA was seeing my camp filling up with party members and NPC. I had thought that the Warden's Keep was going to be a castle I can rebuild a la Suikoden style but I was disappointed that did not turn out to be the case. Thinking about it, I'm curious why that mechanic never caught on in subsequent RPG's. In fact, I can't remember any recent games with that feature.
NWN2 OC had a castle that you rebuilt and eventually used.

dionysus

Yaldog
Complete Impressions of the PC version:

[green]Combat:[/green] This is MMO combat done right in a single player game. Battles are very tactical, and require using a large and diverse skills to tackle the encounters. Excellent incorporation of crowd control, debuffs, buffs, character positioning, ability interrupts, etc. into even trash battles. If you are from a MMO background, all this should feel very familiar. I almost feel sorry for players who haven’t delved deeply into MMOs. The “gambits” are extremely useful, and don’t suffer from that dumb decision in FFXII to trickle you gambits as you play the game. You have the full complement right off the bat. A well designed group of behaviors will allow your melee and archer classes to operate virtually independent of player control. This reduces the micromanagement workload in battles significantly and keeps it from becoming tedious. The tactical combat in this game is pure bliss, except for the shitty last battle.

Balance: Class balance is not good. Mages can buff, debuff, crowd control, dps, and aoe better than the other 2 classes. Rogues can open chests and probably have better single target dps; warriors can tank. Compared to mages, there is no point in having dual wielding warriors, two-handed warriors, or even melee rogues. Best party configuration, 3 mages and a sword & board or 2 mages, sword & board, and archer. For really difficult battles, try to play the game with 1 mage.

Itemization: Two words, piss poor. Characters will use the same pieces of equipment for 3/4ths of the game. There is no steady upgrade path. This game is very similar to MMOs in a lot of ways, but not in itemization. There are not enough rings, amulets, mage gear, medium armor sets, crossbows, or heavy armor sets. The only thing they focused on was massive armor. And it shows in the armor models too.

[green]Difficulty:[/green] In hindsight, I am changing my mind about the difficulty curve. While often times trash encounters are more difficult than bosses, it is because the game is brutally harsh on mistakes. It forces you to play very conservatively. It actually reminds me of how my guild in WoW, in the early days, approached molten core encounters. If you let that archer run away to maintain distance, it will agro a whole new group of enemies. You must manage all enemy mages, and tank effectively. There is no excuse for the dragon encounters though. They completely nullified the contribution melee characters can make. The game is also not well balanced in the early levels before you have all the necessary aoe and crowd control spells that let you control encounters. Throwing 5 melee and 7 archers at you before you have leveled up enough for crowd control spells is a little absurd.

Quests: Good and Bad. Side quests are very important and where you receive all your best items. That is a plus. Side quests also open up new areas to explore in a game that otherwise lacks real exploration. The main storyline quests I have problems with. I feel that this is at heart a linear game, but they give you a superficial choice of what order you do the quests in. Yet, the order you proceed doesn’t change anything, so the choice is meaningless. But because they gave you that choice, it introduces all kinds of problems that could have been avoided by making it a straight linear game (itemization, difficulty curve to name a few.)

Exploration: Play Risen.

Story: It is generic high fantasy. Think Dragonlance novels. Contrary to Bioware’s claims, this is not dark high fantasy. It is just high fantasy. To DA’s credit, the story is good enough to motivate you to progress to the next story event.

[green]Overall:[/green] See my comments on combat. The games blissful combat covers up all other flaws. Combine this combat system with Planescape: Torment or Mask of the Betrayer and you have the perfect game.

PS. What are the commands to change text color?

eznark

Banned
Just finished the game on PC. Easily my favorite game of the year and quite literally one of my favorite games ever.

Absolutely loved it. Gonna give it a few days then dig into the PS3 version as a mage.

Minsc

Gold Member
eznark said:
Just finished the game on PC. Easily my favorite game of the year and quite literally one of my favorite games ever.

Absolutely loved it. Gonna give it a few days then dig into the PS3 version as a mage.

Have you played stuff like NWN2:MotB, The Witcher, and Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate 2? I can't remember. Favorite game ever is a pretty generous title, but glad to hear so many people enjoying it all the way through, as I'm about 1/2 way.

dionysus: you can turn stuff red with the [ highlight] tag, but I don't think there's other colors.

eznark

Banned
Minsc said:
Have you played stuff like NWN2:MotB, The Witcher, and Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate 2? I can't remember. Favorite game ever is a pretty generous title, but glad to hear so many people enjoying it all the way through, as I'm about 1/2 way.

dionysus: you can turn stuff red with the [ highlight] tag, but I don't think there's other colors.
Have not played Planescape but I have played the rest (though I have not finished NWN2, just picked it up recently in that D2D sale). I was a little late to the Baldur's Gate party so I didn't pick them up until 3 years ago or so. I think had I played them when new I'd be a bigger fan (I love em, just not enough to make the game my avatar).

I don't think it is necessarily the "best" game I've played but it's definitely one of my favorites.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i got done with my second area (Redcliff then Mages Tower then back to Redcliff) and i had to put the game down. Besides the camp stuff it was all combat, all the time. Lots of combat isnt a big problem really but the combat in DA is very repetitive.. the same spells, the same attacks, the same tactics, used on the same enemies. The Fade was different at least but i had my own problems with it being a rogue thats more support than combat and having no potions when i got there the first time.. had to reload the tower to redo the Fade.

i thought taking a break would be enough but its been like 3 weeks and i cant bring myself to load it up.

Minsc

Gold Member
Number 2 said:
i got done with my second area (Redcliff then Mages Tower then back to Redcliff) and i had to put the game down. Besides the camp stuff it was all combat, all the time. Lots of combat isnt a big problem really but the combat in DA is very repetitive.. the same spells, the same attacks, the same tactics, used on the same enemies. The Fade was different at least but i had my own problems with it being a rogue thats more support than combat and having no potions when i got there the first time.. had to reload the tower to redo the Fade.

i thought taking a break would be enough but its been like 3 weeks and i cant bring myself to load it up.

Apparently Red Cliffe and the Mages Tower are the two places where you walk in and there's a pressing conflict to resolve right away. They're the first two places I approached too. After spending hours and hours at a time in the camp, I'm usually ready for more combat.

I'm in the Dalish forest now, and while there is also combat there too, there was a nice little town/camp to walk around and so far a few non-combat events in the forest. I'd recommend you head there next, it's a nice change of scenery if nothing else.

I think a lot of the better tactical battles comes when the game is more challenging, fighting a revenant or two ogres at once for the first time needs a little more planning than normal.

dionysus

Yaldog
Orzammar and Denerim are the most talky areas, though Orzammar has an epically long dungeon once you actually get into it. Denerim in my opinion is a pretty good balance between talk and fighting and the battles are well designed too.

Macmanus

dionysus said:

A micro review that makes tons of sense and that I completely agree with.

Even enjoyed the logical shout out to Risen, the most under rated RPG in years. I also feel it had the loot progression that Dragon Age should have had.

Fredescu

dionysus said:
Complete Impressions of the PC version
If you genuinely think that impressions that don't include a reference to party members are "complete" then you've missed out on one of the best parts of the game. Not only do the party members develop a relationship with you, but they develop them with each other. The game rewards you for sticking with the same crew through the whole game as your party members develop an understanding between each other. It's not just the combat that makes this game so replayable. The combinations of different party members have the potential to make many playthroughs feel very different.

This is also why class balance is a complete non-issue (if being a single player game didn't make it one already). The question of which party members to take along can be completely based on which ones you like the most, or which ones you want to hear party banter from. As long as you have a healer and a tank, who doesn't necessarily need to be sword and board, you can pretty much play how you want.

The game is definitely completable with one mage. That's how I finished it the first time. I had a spirit healer mage with full creation spells and glyphs as the only CC tool. I had Leliana as an archer (with no dex hotfix) who could use scattering shot and the bard CC song as CC tools, and Shale who could use Hurl for dealing with flanking archers while you're burning down the melee group. Mages aren't the only ones with CC tools. This time around on nightmare, I'm using two mages but Shale as my only tank. He gets knocked down a lot more than Alistair or a two hander with indomitable, but that's just part of the fun and what makes this particular group unique and interesting.

I have a lot of the same criticisms as you do, don't get me wrong. The itemisation is poor, there's no exploration to speak of, and the story is a bit so so. It's still my game of the year, and probably of the last two years. It's the combination of the combat and the companions that make it for me.

Number 2 said:
Lots of combat isnt a big problem really but the combat in DA is very repetitive.. the same spells, the same attacks, the same tactics, used on the same enemies.
If you're finding this, you need to mix it up yourself. I took a ranger specialisation once and decided to use pet pulling as a tactic every time, which works and makes a lot of encounters easy, but is slow and boring as batshit. I dropped that tactic in favour of running in and dealing with it all at once, and it's a lot more fun that way. Don't get yourself locked into a perceived "best" way of doing things. That makes you play conservatively which is generally boring. Mix it up, have fun. The real "best" way of approaching combat is to make it fun.

While MMO players may be familiar with the combat, I have a feeling that some of them will be very wipe averse, which leads to conservative boring play. A wipe in an MMO means pissing off other real people and wasting other real peoples time. In this game it's a simple F9. Approach combat in a fun and risky way and you'll find yourself breaking out of the pattern of using the same method every time.

dionysus

Yaldog
Good point Fredescu, party interactions are definitely a positive in this game. I particularly enjoyed the Morrigan/Alistair hate and found all dialogue with Wynne terrible. Really, it is probably the best party interraction since Planescape. It is why I kept Shale in my group for a lot of the game.

It influences a few in-game decisions. One incredibly large one, among others.

Other than the order you get party members, refresh my memory. Can you do the Denerim party member choice early in the game? It was my last area so I don't know how much of that is doable in what order.

Macmanus

Fredescu said:
The game rewards you for sticking with the same crew through the whole game as your party members develop an understanding between each other. It's not just the combat that makes this game so replayable. The combinations of different party members have the potential to make many playthroughs feel very different.

Besides spurts of conversation and interspersed quips, how exactly do your team mates develop relationships with one another? (Heads up: This isn't a challenge or a snarky argument. I'm genuinely curious.)

Fredescu

The conversations have a progression to them. I don't want to spoil them for you though, so I won't say much more than that. My favourite so far is Leliana and Shale.

dionysus said:
Story: It is generic high fantasy. Think Dragonlance novels. Contrary to Bioware’s claims, this is not dark high fantasy. It is just high fantasy. To DA’s credit, the story is good enough to motivate you to progress to the next story event.

I think that they built a pretty interesting universe and overall world setting with the typical fantasy tropes in DA:O. I think part of the problem is that the whole thing is happening in Ferelden, which sort of seems like the freakin' Saskatchewan of the entire setting. After playing through the game almost twice (yeah it's awesome!) I can't help but see some of the stuff they put in the codex and conversations about Orlais or the Teventer Imperium and think "man that place looks a ton more interesting". The only thing that was really exotic in terms of what was going on in Ferelden was Orzamarr and especially the Deep Roads, which sadly turned out to be a really big and sort of mundane place to actually explore.

So that's good for the sequels, hopefully. Sort of like the Sword Coast and Baldur's Gate itself wasn't exactly all that interesting in BG1, but Amn, Athkatla, and the Underdark were awesome in BG2.

BTW, speaking of the deep raods, the designers of that area should have gone back to BG2 and played through the Underdark there for some inspiration as to how to make some seriously interesting underground areas to explore.

Edit: Regarding balance, I sort of feel that they should make a game that lets the common people play through it without too much trouble, while ensuring the game is open enough for modding so that the hardcore players can patch in their own difficultly. They went one better than this with the four base difficultly levels they shipped with the game.

Fredescu

Related to balance slightly, I wish there were more companion mages available. My third playthrough will be as a mage again. I was thinking of making a warrior as something different, but there are so many available already that I'm already familiar with how to build and equip one. I'd get no value out of making one myself other than achievements :)lol). I will respec one of them as DW though, probably Oghren, as that's a build I haven't tried.

dionysus

Yaldog
Fragamemnon said:
I think that they built a pretty interesting universe and overall world setting with the typical fantasy tropes in DA:O. I think part of the problem is that the whole thing is happening in Ferelden, which sort of seems like the freakin' Saskatchewan of the entire setting. After playing through the game almost twice (yeah it's awesome!) I can't help but see some of the stuff they put in the codex and conversations about Orlais or the Teventer Imperium and think "man that place looks a ton more interesting". The only thing that was really exotic in terms of what was going on in Ferelden was Orzamarr and especially the Deep Roads, which sadly turned out to be a really big and sort of mundane place to actually explore.

So that's good for the sequels, hopefully. Sort of like the Sword Coast and Baldur's Gate itself wasn't exactly all that interesting in BG1, but Amn, Athkatla, and the Underdark were awesome in BG2.

BTW, speaking of the deep raods, the designers of that area should have gone back to BG2 and played through the Underdark there for some inspiration as to how to make some seriously interesting underground areas to explore.

Edit: Regarding balance, I sort of feel that they should make a game that lets the common people play through it without too much trouble, while ensuring the game is open enough for modding so that the hardcore players can patch in their own difficultly. They went one better than this with the four base difficultly levels they shipped with the game.

I heard your comments on Borecast and I don't see as much in the setting as you do, but I don't disagree. I've just read a billion high fantasy novels and this (at least Fereldan) seems pretty generic. But mostly I am commenting on the plot. A generic setting does not make the plot bad, and vice versa. The human noble plot line is especially cliche, but the downtrodden underclass origins are also cliche too. You made a good point on the borecast, I am comparing the plot to books and that is unfair, but I think it is unavoidable to do so. I just can't help wanting the narrative to transcend just providing the motivation to proceed in the game and be something more. I always dream that a game can tell a good story and also be a good game. But I also realize that good storytelling and good game making are often at odds and in some respects are exclusive to each other. (Does PST have good gameplay? The combat system is definitely bad.) It may be an impossible task and I just need to stop carrying the baggage of books and movies with me when I boot up a game.

I am getting philosophical and rambling...

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
DAO's combat is some of the best in the genre for a long time--mostly because of the difficulty level and because party-based combat will almost always trump single-character combat--but I still don't like it as much as BG2's. Why? Because:

* there's much less enemy diversity (being set exclusively in Ferelden and with Bioware going for a dark/low fantasy tone this was likely to happen, but it's disappointing nonetheless)

* the mechanics are much less transparent. Apparently Bioware didn't want it this way but they couldn't keep the in-game documentation up-to-date quickly enough

* the combat moves so fast (even with frequent pausing in between) that lots of the subtleties of your party's various abilities are basically irrelevant. This is an inherent limitation of real-time combat, but BG2 managed to transcend it to some extent by having pen-and-paper mechanics that were easier to process mentally

* there are four-character parties instead of six-character parties, and the characters are less distinct from one another as compared with the characters in BG2

I'm still surprised of how incredibly addicting this game is, I'm now very well into my second playthrough and it isn't getting any older, in fact I still have most classes and origins to complete (played warrior and rogue) not to mention the DLC and mods (I'm definitely rerolling human noble when the "Trailer edition" mod is out)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Macmanus said:
Besides spurts of conversation and interspersed quips, how exactly do your team mates develop relationships with one another? (Heads up: This isn't a challenge or a snarky argument. I'm genuinely curious.)

They don't. It's probably the biggest "problem" with BioWare's design - since they don't know what characters you'll have recruited, let alone active in your party, they can't have moments where everyone just gets together to have group conversations.

I mean, is it me or is it odd that no one speaks up during the whole
Landsmeet
debate?

Even though the party dynamic was similarly shallow in Mass Effect, they did do the whole "let's all get together and discuss the situation" cutscene after every mission at least.

dionysus said:
I heard your comments on Borecast and I don't see as much in the setting as you do, but I don't disagree. I've just read a billion high fantasy novels and this (at least Fereldan) seems pretty generic. But mostly I am commenting on the plot. A generic setting does not make the plot bad, and vice versa. The human noble plot line is especially cliche, but the downtrodden underclass origins are also cliche too. You made a good point on the borecast, I am comparing the plot to books and that is unfair, but I think it is unavoidable to do so. I just can't help wanting the narrative to transcend just providing the motivation to proceed in the game and be something more. I always dream that a game can tell a good story and also be a good game. But I also realize that good storytelling and good game making are often at odds and in some respects are exclusive to each other. (Does PST have good gameplay? The combat system is definitely bad.) It may be an impossible task and I just need to stop carrying the baggage of books and movies with me when I boot up a game.

I am getting philosophical and rambling...

I had some hope for the City Elf origin, mostly because I thought it might be a serious take on
rape
in a game. But it was so censored that it almost didn't matter. Whether that was the limitations of the engine or an active decision made by BioWare, I don't know, but it felt like they could have done something interesting there and they chose not to.

In terms of setting, they managed to make Orlais and... fake-Spain (whereever Zevran is from) seem a thousand times more interesting than generic medieval England. Unfortunately, you don't actually get to go to those places in the game.

Heck, imagine the Renaissance Italy from AC2 ported to Dragon Age. It would have been amazing and more importantly, different from the classic English stereotype.

Fredescu

firehawk12 said:
They don't. It's probably the biggest "problem" with BioWare's design - since they don't know what characters you'll have recruited, let alone active in your party, they can't have moments where everyone just gets together to have group conversations
They do, but not as a whole group.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fredescu said:
They do, but not as a whole group.

Right. Which is why their character interaction is limited to the incidental dialog that you get when you are traveling and not in any of the important cutscene moments in the game.

It's also why I can make out with Leliana right in front of Alistair and he just stands there like an idiot until I choose to talk to him and initiate the "me or her" conversation. :lol

Fredescu

firehawk12 said:
Right. Which is why their character interaction is limited to the incidental dialog that you get when you are traveling and not in any of the important cutscene moments in the game.
Sorry, I see what you're saying now. You're right. Changing character cut scene interjections based on the development of their character would have been a very impressive addition. A full party round table after major quests Mass Effect style would have been very cool too. As it is though, the companion development is still impressive, limited as it is to banter.

There are even supposed to be different directions you can develop certain characters based on your dialog with them, which will cause them to react differently in certain situations. I've only read about that though. I haven't played so much with the same characters that I've noticed that sort of thing myself. Perhaps there's more of that than I realise.

Wallach

One thing I kinda like about the character development is that it is not solely based on the dumb little meter you see on their sheet. There are quite a few ways that reactions and conversations will change outside of the scope of their "affection score" for you. I realized this on my second playthrough when a character that I had max "score" with reacted fairly differently to a situation that my first character went through with the same rating.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fredescu said:
Sorry, I see what you're saying now. You're right. Changing character cut scene interjections based on the development of their character would have been a very impressive addition. A full party round table after major quests Mass Effect style would have been very cool too. As it is though, the companion development is still impressive, limited as it is to banter.

There are even supposed to be different directions you can develop certain characters based on your dialog with them, which will cause them to react differently in certain situations. I've only read about that though. I haven't played so much with the same characters that I've noticed that sort of thing myself. Perhaps there's more of that than I realise.

Yeah, you can do that with Alistair and Leliana (curiously, it's only one way - you can't change the mind of the "bad" characters) and that effects how they'll react later in the game... but I see that as just a port of the influence system developed by Obsidian in KoTOR2. And it feels relatively minor in this game, considering you can achieve the same results without going through that process.

I'd like to think that if they took to the time to think it all out, they could come up with a procedural way to generate plot based on which characters you have and where they are in terms of how they feel about you.

They already do that with the endings, but there's no reason why they can't do it throughout the game as well.

It just seems rather strange that the majority of my interaction with the characters is one on one conversations - that even if I have Alistair in my party and he's standing right beside me and Zevran or Leliana as I flirt with them, he doesn't say a word (or vice versa).
Well, I just got to hope they'll try to do more for Dragon Age 2.

Wallach said:
One thing I kinda like about the character development is that it is not solely based on the dumb little meter you see on their sheet. There are quite a few ways that reactions and conversations will change outside of the scope of their "affection score" for you. I realized this on my second playthrough when a character that I had max "score" with reacted fairly differently to a situation that my first character went through with the same rating.

Hrm, would you have an example?

Wallach

firehawk12 said:
Hrm, would you have an example?

I'll spoiler this one (still fairly early):

On both my first and second characters, my "romance" path was with Morrigan. Both of them had slept with her before they left Lothering and had +100 rating with her when I went to do the first treaty path, which was the Circle tower (after I'd done the two DLC areas). When the section that occurs where the party meets Wynne in the tower, my first character was able to make Morrigan understand my position of helping Wynne and exited the conversation without taking a disapproval penalty. When I tried the exact same text path with my second, she scoffed and told me she'd have tossed herself off the tower had she wound up like Wynne. I could not exit the conversation path without losing approval with her unless I killed Wynne at this point.

I'm not entirely certain what choices it was that seemed to make her respect my first character more, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless. The only thing I could think of was that my second character did not wear the ring she gave me, whereas my first did. Either that or some of my conversational choices leading up to that point, even though they were both at the same exact point with her otherwise, changed her reaction to the PCs point of view in the same text path by the time we got there.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wallach said:
I'll spoiler this one (still fairly early):

On both my first and second characters, my "romance" path was with Morrigan. Both of them had slept with her before they left Lothering and had +100 rating with her when I went to do the first treaty path, which was the Circle tower (after I'd done the two DLC areas). When the section that occurs where the party meets Wynne in the tower, my first character was able to make Morrigan understand my position of helping Wynne and exited the conversation without taking a disapproval penalty. When I tried the exact same text path with my second, she scoffed and told me she'd have tossed herself off the tower had she wound up like Wynne. I could not exit the conversation path without losing approval with her unless I killed Wynne at this point.

I'm not entirely certain what choices it was that seemed to make her respect my first character more, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless. The only thing I could think of was that my second character did not wear the ring she gave me, whereas my first did. Either that or some of my conversational choices leading up to that point, even though they were both at the same exact point with her otherwise, changed her reaction to the PCs point of view in the same text path by the time we got there.

Hrm, that's interesting. Sadly, I took the coward's way out and just avoided bringing that character to that location entirely to avoid any possibility of approval loss. (That meter should be invisible so I can't do that, but that's another discussion entirely).

Now I'm curious as to what triggered that difference.. like if it was an active choice you made in a dialog tree way back or if it was just a mistake, like the Leliana bug.

Wallach

firehawk12 said:
Hrm, that's interesting. Sadly, I took the coward's way out and just avoided bringing that character to that location entirely to avoid any possibility of approval loss. (That meter should be invisible so I can't do that, but that's another discussion entirely).

Now I'm curious as to what triggered that difference.. like if it was an active choice you made in a dialog tree way back or if it was just a mistake, like the Leliana bug.

It could also be some invisible Cunning/Coercion checks in various places, I'm not certain. Maybe she's just into dwarves...? :lol

Minsc

Gold Member
firehawk12 said:

It's also why I can make out with Leliana right in front of Alistair and he just stands there like an idiot until I choose to talk to him and initiate the "me or her" conversation. :lol

I've noticed a few times when members of my party chime in to the main campaign's story with their opinion. Morigan often comments on sparing the lives of corrupt individuals or the blood mage, and others voice their opinions at appropriate times as well. I've seen main campaign dialogs interrupted by two of my party members one after the other from time to time.

I'm also impressed when the characters initiate conversation with you, rather than vice-versa. It's a nice break to see them wanting to talk to you rather than just answering your questions all the time.

gotee12

I was in Denerim and went up to Gorim, the dwarf merchant, and thought to myself...

"Self, this Gorim fella sounds a heck of a lot like Steve Blum, you know, the greatest voice actor ever to live, Spike Spiegel himself..."

So's I look to IMDB and there he is (though he's only attributed to Oghren, don't know if this is a mistake or not).

I just fell in love with this game all over again.

Top Bottom