• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Exhumed

Doytch said:
I used him in his DPS mode exclusively, and I rolled with Alistair, him, Morrigan and my main Archer/Bard. He's really useful in an off-tanking role, where you drag some enemies away from Alistair and onto Shale, because then you can use your AOEs freely, and allows you to use a single healer to keep them up which wouldn't be possible in some cases with everyone hitting your main tank.

After I finished, a lot of people mentioned how useful his Aura mode is, and a lot of people use him as a tank also, but I never did so I can't comment.

I found using his aura mode useful when using aoe spells with multiple mages. He just sits there and regens mana as your mages go to town. Works best in choke hold positions/buildings. Just stick your tank in the door way and laugh :lol

Wallach

Meier said:
Disregarding dialogue, I mean in terms of usefullness.

Depends on your group make-up. Personally I find very little use for her - she's basically a Warrior that has very few available talents and can play either a tank or DPS role (because she will get enough points to basically just buy everything you want).

Unfortunately, you can't equip her with anything but her two types of crystals, so in terms of armor/defense she just doesn't have what it takes to compete with a tank PC or Alistair built towards tanking. In terms of DPS, she's actually not bad at all, but does primarily AoE type attacks so you need to be careful that she's not wrecking someone in your party while she's squishing other stuff. Probably not as good in a heavy melee party (unless you strictly take her for the auras and basically run a 3 character party).

Her dialogue is hilarious, though. Shame that some of her best stuff is between her and Alistair and they are not very compatible in the same group most of the time.

Fredescu

Meier said:
Disregarding dialogue, I mean in terms of usefullness.
Shale is great as a utility tank. I switched between Stoneheart and Rock Mastery for the most part. Hurl is great for taking out groups of ranged enemies, giving you time to reach them. For single target fights I'd switch to the melee damage aura. I didn't use Stone Aura at all.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Any tips on how to use Stealth with a ranged rogue? When I see enemies I usually stealth the rogue, set them up, and then switch to another character to begin the attack, then switch back to the rogue to assign his attack. Is this how people usually use stealth?

Doytch

worldrevolution said:
Any tips on how to use Stealth with a ranged rogue? When I see enemies I usually stealth the rogue, set them up, and then switch to another character to begin the attack, then switch back to the rogue to assign his attack. Is this how people usually use stealth?
Get combat stealth, and always use Rapid Shot. Stealth whenever the timer comes upfor a guaranteed crit, and throw around scattershot for groups, Arrow of Slaying for mages, and debuffs for yellow/orange mobs.

koji

Just noticed they changed the patch filename to 1.02a (on the social networksite), hope they release 1.02b soonish and they fix Rally... hate having to turn it off again after every transition so it doesn't stack.

Oh, and something about bows would be awesome too...

Hmm file size of 1.02a is bigger compared to 1.02, no idea about any changes though. Thread about it on the social networksite

Zaptruder

Banned
Is it me, or does this game unapologetically favour axes over swords?

I mean... swords are just crap in general, although much better looking. Axes are piddly tiny things... unfortunate... but much better stats; cheaper, more slots, more strength multiplier, more armor penetration... and they're only marginally weaker in damage.

But the most damning thing is that they're simply far more available at vendors than swords are.

Moonstone

Zaptruder said:
Is it me, or does this game unapologetically favour axes over swords?

I mean... swords are just crap in general, although much better looking. Axes are piddly tiny things... unfortunate... but much better stats; cheaper, more slots, more strength multiplier, more armor penetration... and they're only marginally weaker in damage.

But the most damning thing is that they're simply far more available at vendors than swords are.

Swords have a higher base damage than axes, so the better attribute modifier is only useful if you have really maxed strength or cunning (with lethality). Keep in mind that the base damage that is shown is minimum damage, not average damage, which is also a little higher for swords.

I never buy those generic items it's a waste of money, only go for uniques.There aren't good swords availabe at the merchants, though. There are two good axes in the game, biteback and the veshialle which is rogue only.

Keening blade or strarfang do in most cases more damage. At least for Warriors. But a Axe/dagger Cun rogue with maxed backstabbonus gear is great.

Zaptruder

Banned
Moonstone said:
Swords have a higher base damage than axes, so the better attribute modifier is only useful if you have really maxed strength or cunning (with lethality). Keep in mind that the base damage that is shown is minimum damage, not average damage, which is also a little higher for swords.

I never buy those generic items it's a waste of money, only go for uniques.There aren't good swords availabe at the merchants, though. There are two good axes in the game, biteback and the veshialle which is rogue only.

Keening blade or strarfang do in most cases more damage. At least for Warriors. But a Axe/dagger Cun rogue with maxed backstabbonus gear is great.

Well that makes a little more sense I guess. Too bad the game mechanics are so woefully documented.

Looking forward to DA2 before I even beat DA1 though!

If I have one issue with the game, it's the lack of auto-save. Yes, there is auto-save but it's so unpredictable and unorganized that at times I'm really into the game and forget to save. I face around 40 or so people and beat the living shit outta them. A few minutes later elsewhere I face another gang and die, and realize that I didn't save. Then I have moments where I talk to dozen of people, complete certain elements of quests and leave the city only to face some 40-more people whom I can't defeat and when I die, it restarts from I-have-no-clue-where and since this isn't a linear game where I just press right and shit kicks in, I have to remember everything I did. I miss Oblivion's "enter the room, save the shit!" style of play but I am really enjoying this (PC FTW btw!).

larvi

I just started playing the game and I'm enjoying it so far but it seems to me that they borrowed heavily from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books for a lot of the characters and plot elements.

Macmanus

larvi said:
I just started playing the game and I'm enjoying it so far but it seems to me that they borrowed heavily from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books for a lot of the characters and plot elements.

Haven't read Wheel of Time, but their is a bit of GRRM's Son of Ice and Fire in it as well.

Grey Wardens are to the Night Watch as the Dark Spawn are to the Others.

Meier

I wish you could activate herbalism (etc.) from your talent tree rather than have to go through the process of assigning it a button press and then doing so.

I think my next play through will be as an Arcane Warrior/Spirit Healer.. definitely a mage though. I feel like there aren't enough upgrades on melee weapons.. I've had the same ones equipped for ages.

The Grey Wardens have a lot in common with the Night's Watch, but the Darkspawn and Allistair are just standard fantasy stuff. It's a bit of a stretch to say they are borrowed from a specific author rather than the genre at large. The stuff about the taint and the blight is reminiscent of the Wheel of Time though.

Zaptruder said:
Well that makes a little more sense I guess. Too bad the game mechanics are so woefully documented.

Looking forward to DA2 before I even beat DA1 though!

Yes as a whole the game does a shitty job of explaining the mechanics of the game. A player easily understands higher numbers = better, but to what extent or how things are figured is very ambiguous.

Basileus777 said:
The Grey Wardens have a lot in common with the Night's Watch, but the Darkspawn and Allistair are just standard fantasy stuff. It's a bit of a stretch to say they are borrowed from a specific author rather than the genre at large.

The whole DA universe is kinda generic fantasy. It has some unique stuff though it is largely hodge podge of ideas from other fantasy settings.

McHuj

One thing I wish they could change would be the ability to scroll the mouse over the entire area.

I miss that from BG1/2. If I already explored an area and I need to walk through it again, just let me scroll through it quickly and click the end destination.

Macmanus

Basileus777 said:
The Grey Wardens have a lot in common with the Night's Watch, but the Darkspawn and Allistair are just standard fantasy stuff. It's a bit of a stretch to say they are borrowed from a specific author rather than the genre at large. The stuff about the taint and the blight is reminiscent of the Wheel of Time though.

I don't disagree, but I draw the parallel because the Grey Wardens are an ancient order meant to fight the blight/darkspawn as The Night's Watch is a (mildly) ancient order meant to fight The Others. Both The Others and darkspawn are undead intent on total destruction (as far as I know. Haven't finished DA:O and GRRM hasn't finished ASoIAF.)

McHuj said:
One thing I wish they could change would be the ability to scroll the mouse over the entire area.

I miss that from BG1/2. If I already explored an area and I need to walk through it again, just let me scroll through it quickly and click the end destination.

Oh fuck yes, listen to this man Bioware.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So how does one get Morrigan's alignment up without completely screwing the rest of the party/your general enjoyment of quests up? Can you just give her endless gifts to offset you actually wanting to..play the game..

Macmanus

worldrevolution said:
So how does one get Morrigan's alignment up without completely screwing the rest of the party/your general enjoyment of quests up? Can you just give her endless gifts to offset you actually wanting to..play the game..

There was really only a couple of decisions I made that drastically effected her disposition towards me (I think it was keeping the mages alive in the tower and helping out in Redcliff) so I just loaded up my quick save before the scene and parked her at camp. Also a bit of persuade and cunning go a long ways into softening the blow of those disposition hits.

Atrus

Gold Member
worldrevolution said:

Morrigan is easy. Just converse with her in a way that favors her beliefs and then give her the two Grimoires and a handmirror for big bonuses.

If your Persuade is high enough, you can also decrease or eliminate the amount of negative points gained when you do things characters don't like.

Hand Morrigan Jewellry to mitigate the occasional loss in affection points.

worldrevolution said:

Talking to her in the camp will often give you big bonuses if you make the right choices in dialogue.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Anyone here read the prequel books? I just ordered both from Amazon for some holiday reading. The amazon reviews were pretty good but what does GAF think?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Macmanus said:
I don't disagree, but I draw the parallel because the Grey Wardens are an ancient order meant to fight the blight/darkspawn as The Night's Watch is a (mildly) ancient order meant to fight The Others. Both The Others and darkspawn are undead intent on total destruction (as far as I know. Haven't finished DA:O and GRRM hasn't finished ASoIAF.)

This is a horribly stupid thing to argue about, but I think The Night's Watch in ASoIAF is a much older organization (in terms of years) than the Grey Wardens are in Dragon Age's universe.

bengraven

stupei said:
I played both sides too and was fine. It could be you're missing something else required to trigger further progression. Not knowing exactly what you've done for them already it's hard to know
but it's possible you might need to trigger the back alley thugs in the common area in order to receive that quest or you might need to speak with Oghren in the tavern.

Granted, I did end up with a bug near the end of Orzammar that made me go back to a previous save just a little bit before (it kept looping a cut scene), so in general I think it's a good idea to have several save slots going at once, just in case.

Oghren just says "sod off, duster" over and over again. I have spoken to every single NPC in Orzammar...3 or more times. It's a known issue that even Bioware has noted.

As for the thugs, I'm supposed to speak with the cripple and she mentions Jarvia. At that point, the enemies spawn in the slums house and an enemy drops the fingerbone I need to access the other abandoned house int he slums.

I have spoken to every single beggar in Dustdown, the merchant a few times and that cripple only gives me two options to ask her: 1) where can a dwarf get a drink around here and 2) what's a brand?

bengraven

Zefah said:
This is a horribly stupid thing to argue about, but I think The Night's Watch in ASoIAF is a much older organization (in terms of years) than the Grey Wardens are in Dragon Age's universe.

I agree.

Instead you should argue about the other dozens of comparisons/homages/ripoffs to ASoIaF that are in Dragon Age.

Minsc

Gold Member
bengraven said:
I agree.

Instead you should argue about the other dozens of comparisons/homages/ripoffs to ASoIaF that are in Dragon Age.

How about some of the Wheel of Time ones?

* In WoT, the principle bad guys that our heroes face are known as Darkfriends and Shadowspawn.
* In DA, the book finds our heroes fighting against an army that has taken over their country, but along the way they awaken a bigger threat, known as—whoa, Darkspawn. Hmm.
* In WoT, magic is known as The One Source and thought of as a woman’s realm, led by an all-women organization called The White Tower (the heads of the order also live there). These women are protected by elite fighters known as Warders.
* In DA, magic is magic and is overseen by a religious organization known as The Chantry. All members of the order are women. An army of elite fighters is formed to combat the Shadow-er, Darkspawn, known as the Grey Wardens.
* In WoT, the Shadowspawn are created in and enter the world through a region known as The Blight. The proximity of the Dark One and the influence of the Shadowspawn have twisted the lands into chaos and disease.
* In DA, a group of Darkspawn led by an Archdemon is referred to as a Blight (uppercase ‘B’). The chaos and disease that spreads through the world from the presence of the Darkspawn is known as the blight (lowercase ‘b’).
* In WoT, the main character Rand al’Thor obtains a nigh-unbreakable sword forged through magical means in a forgotten age by Aes Sedai (his heron-mark blade that he got from Tam, not Callandor as in the book cover above—trust me, I know my WoT).
* In DA: TST, the main character Maric finds a nigh-unbreakable sword forged through magical means in a forgotten age by dwarves. The sword is made of dragon bone and carved with magical runes (yes, that is the artist’s depiction of the sword on the above cover).

I could have sworn I heard the Enchanter in Ostagar refer to magic as The Source too, but I must be imaging that.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Basileus777 said:
That's a pretty terrible list. The one about the Blight is the only one that isn't a huge stretch.

Not to mention, it's pretty hilarious for WoT freaks getting upset about their brand of rip-off being ripped off.

Also, there were male Chanters...

Minsc

Gold Member
WanderingWind said:
Not to mention, it's pretty hilarious for WoT freaks getting upset about their brand of rip-off being ripped off.

Also, there were male Chanters...

Now that I look through the comments, I'd say the freaks are the ones who are offended about the article in the first place, claiming it is all wrong and they go on to say why. They're right, of course, technically the author's points about WoT are actually incorrect or have little ground. But hey, WoT has a great amount of well written lore to it, so it'd make a great game world I always thought, so let's not pick on it too much.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Minsc said:
Now that I look through the comments, I'd say the freaks are the ones who are offended about the article in the first place, claiming it is all wrong and they go on to say why. They're right, of course, technically the author's points about WoT are actually incorrect or have little ground. But hey, WoT has a great amount of well written lore to it, so it'd make a great game world I always thought, so let's not pick on it too much.

First, for sure.
Second, not so much.

You know, after playing DA I reinstalled BG2 for the third time. It's really, really hard to play after DA. Nostalgia makes it a bit easier, but if I hadn't played it when it first came out, I probably wouldn't believe the hype around the BG series.

Minsc

Gold Member
WanderingWind said:
First, for sure.
Second, not so much.

You know, after playing DA I reinstalled BG2 for the third time. It's really, really hard to play after DA. Nostalgia makes it a bit easier, but if I hadn't played it when it first came out, I probably wouldn't believe the hype around the BG series.

The first 3 or 4 books of WoT are some of the best fantasy books I've read. Call me wrong, but I know I'm not alone on that.

I'm not saying the books are perfect, they're boring as hell at times. It definitely has some of the more epic battles I've read in a book. Reading about Matthew beating the crap out of 3 or 4 cocky knights with a mere staff, all at the same time, and while he is injured stands out among others. Though Perrin bores the crap out of me, and I think half a book is dedicated to him, which is where I start to lose my interest and things can get very confusing for me fast.

But what I really meant to say earlier is not so much well written, but deep and intricate. There's a d20 book on Wheel of Time, and it probably doesn't even capture half of the mechanics found in the books. It's a very deep system, not unlike D&D, with lots of rules, spells, enemies and so forth, that would lend themselves to a game.

larvi

Minsc said:

I could have sworn I heard the Enchanter in Ostagar refer to magic as The Source too, but I must be imaging that.

I just started but some of the ones that I noticed:

- The Fade is similar to Tel'aran'rhiod
- Lothrain is similar to Logain
- Morrigan is similar to Morraine
- Grey warden similar to warders

But then again WoT, DAO and pretty much any heavy fantasy book and fantasy rpg borrowed their ideas from Tolkien.

I also noticed lots of parallels to Asimov's Foundation series when I was playing Mass Effect

Macmanus

Zefah said:

We aren't arguing because, frankly, I haven't a fucking clue the age of either organization. I'm just taking shots in the dark based on fragmented memories. Also I'm too lazy/apathetic to google.

theultimo

For all you Mac people not using boot camp:

Transgaming.com is releasing a Ciderized version (Custom Wine) of Dragon Age for Mac OS X on the 21st.

Otherwise, Wine does play this game, just low details unfortunately.

ACE 1991

I've posted about this before, but I'm about 12 hours in and I'm still having aggro trouble with Allistar. My character is a dual wielding DPSer, and I'm pulling aggro like no other. Will Allistar's tanking abilities improve as the game progresses and I go deeper into his skill trees?

bengraven said:
I agree.

Ser Jory! That's where you went! You weren't
butchered in the streets by Lannister men
you were
butchered by Duncan because you wouldn't drink his jizz cup!

bengraven

Minsc said:

Okay, yeah, I took the GRR ones (Duncan, Jory, "Sers") as amusing and sometimes annoying, but this is a bit too far.

larvi said:
I just started but some of the ones that I noticed:

- The Fade is similar to Tel'aran'rhiod
- Lothrain is similar to Logain
- Morrigan is similar to Morraine
- Grey warden similar to warders

But then again WoT, DAO and pretty much any heavy fantasy book and fantasy rpg borrowed their ideas from Tolkien.

I also noticed lots of parallels to Asimov's Foundation series when I was playing Mass Effect

Well in their defense, Morrigan in every pop culture reference is derived from this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Morrígan

bengraven

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Ser Jory! That's where you went! You weren't
butchered in the streets by Lannister men
you were
butchered by Duncan because you wouldn't drink his jizz cup!

Ha, the name "Jory" is officially the fantasy version of the
red shirt

patch notes

No Orzammar fix YET?

Another noticeable Ice and Fire/ DA comparison that I'll spoiler because it falls upon massive speculation for an Ice and Fire character and a big Alistair spoiler:
Alistair = Jon Snow. Both are (if the speculation is true) the sons of dead kings (well Rhaegar was a prince). Both were given away by their true parents and raised by uncles (a bit of a stretch in DA, but I do believe Eamon was the king's brother in law), both are hated by their caretaker's wife and this leads to them being sent away to mystical orders. For Alistair the templars and eventually the grey wardens and for Jon Snow, the Night Watch. And of course, both are bastards.

Flambe

How obnoxious.

I finally get the random meteorite (lol at cutscene) and now my Warden's Keep is completely broken. Shale too, actually.

Levi Durden or whoever is back at my camp asking to help him with the keep and if I accept then it will let me travel back to Soldier's Peak, however all the NPCs there are now gone and it's as if I hadn't finished all the shit there yet, except there are no enemies either.

And if I don't talk to Levi, the Keep isn't even on my map anymore =[

Fucking games, sometimes *sigh*

Top Bottom