• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Started 2nd playthrough (Dalish Elf, first was as Human Noble), what's this about Ostagar DLC? Will it not propagate in on an already-in-progress game?

Ashodin

timetokill said:
Started 2nd playthrough (Dalish Elf, first was as Human Noble), what's this about Ostagar DLC? Will it not propagate in on an already-in-progress game?
All DLC are reachable at any time. Even if you beat the game!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Question about the romances:

Do they occur when the character's approval its 100 or after a certain time in the plot? I know there are character specific quests to do for each one but can the romance happen anytime?

Ashodin

worldrevolution said:
Question about the romances:

Do they occur when the character's approval its 100 or after a certain time in the plot? I know there are character specific quests to do for each one but can the romance happen anytime?
It's usually at about 75% or more in their heart bar. At 100, you may have missed the romance. Happens with a couple of characters.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Ah good to know. But I can trigger it whenever I get them to that level? I'm fairly early in the game, only did Circle of Magi. Does your point in the plot have any relevance? Also can you have a romance with more than one person in one playthrough?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
worldrevolution said:
Ah good to know. But I can trigger it whenever I get them to that level? I'm fairly early in the game, only did Circle of Magi. Does your point in the plot have any relevance? Also can you have a romance with more than one person in one playthrough?

Yes you can trigger them fairly quickly with enough effort.

No, I don't believe the main plot influences romances. Aside from approvals and disapprovals.

Yes you can have a romance with more than 2 people but believe me, things get catty.

worldrevolution said:

The answer to the first part depends on how you make your conversation with your partner. I still don't fully understand your question.

For the second one, yes you can have romance with more than one person in one playthrough, I think I made romance with 3 people in my first playthrough. And yes I know that I am a SLUT ;)

EDIT: Well Pankaks already answered it but still can use the advice I guess.

I'm an expert

The first part of my question was basically can I initiate the romance even though I pretty much just got to camp for the first time. I have enough gifts and stuff for Morrigan that I think I could take her to above 75% but was wondering if that was possible since I'm literally 10 hours into the game. I figured the 'romance' thing came at a certain plot point if your approval was high enough by then. I didnt know you had to initiate it.

Thanks all.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
worldrevolution said:
The first part of my question was basically can I initiate the romance even though I pretty much just got to camp for the first time. I have enough gifts and stuff for Morrigan that I think I could take her to above 75% but was wondering if that was possible since I'm literally 10 hours into the game. I figured the 'romance' thing came at a certain plot point if your approval was high enough by then. I didnt know you had to initiate it.

Thanks all.
First thing I did as soon as I got out of Lothering was shack up with Morrigan. Yes, its possible.

You can have multiple romance partners, but eventually they'll ask you to pick one. From what I've read though, you can sidestep the issue by dumping one, and then romancing them again via gifts.

worldrevolution said:

Thanks all.

Some of the gifts are person specific, so don't end up giving to the wrong person, you should be able to find a list somewhere online or where to get the gifts to a specific person. Gifts like beer and other general ones are nothing great, means they can be given to anyone and they do not yield that big of romance points, and YES, you pretty much can trigger romance in your first couple of visits to the camp with Morrigan, but the point is how many gifts is that going to cost you? Rather, complete more quests and make decisions that she would like and give you more romance points?

So the choice is yours, however you want to do, its an open game, so just play the way you like it, and try to do better in the second playthrough!

Also, romance just doesn't pop up no matter what points you have, you will have to flirt around a bit. Some choices will trigger/ignite the fire:D Just keep this in mind, save...save...SAVE a lot, so in case you fuck it up, you can always go back!

I'm an expert

Yeah no doubt I will be saving before I attempt it. Morrigan's the one I want to get out of the way quickly since I tend to play the 'good guy' a lot. I already got one of her grimoire things from the Circle of the Magi which is why I figure I can pull it off. Glad to know it's possible this early.

Do character's personal quests also come after certain dialogue choices or is that just automatic when you reach a certain approval?

Zaptruder

Banned
Just finished the game.

It's good. Great even. In so far as the general Bioware RPG formula is honed and refined and great.

But it indelibly feels like you're playing a Bioware RPG. It doesn't let you forget it.

The whole dialogue system is an unfortunate regression from Mass Effect.

I don't get it... ME allows you to play a character of your design, but it still gives Commander Shepheard a voice. I just don't understand why that couldn't have been done for DA. Because they let you pick a few different races? Just fudge it. Use a neutral accent and be done with it.

I'm going to replay the last bit of the game and become king myself. The alternative king is entirely too much of a simp for my tastes.

Not sure why this game has got so much love after playing it last night... A few things though... has there been a patch released for this (spec. PS3 vers)?

Because when I'm clicking X (attack) he's making the same 3/4 sentances of dialogue every time I press it when he's attacking. The game is very stuttery when I'm moving the camera around. Very off putting. It loads all the time breaking the action up. You know when there's some character dialogue coming as the screen dulls and the loading... comes up.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
sweetvar26 said:
Some of the gifts are person specific, so don't end up giving to the wrong person, you should be able to find a list somewhere online or where to get the gifts to a specific person. Gifts like beer and other general ones are nothing great, means they can be given to anyone and they do not yield that big of romance points, and YES, you pretty much can trigger romance in your first couple of visits to the camp with Morrigan, but the point is how many gifts is that going to cost you? Rather, complete more quests and make decisions that she would like and give you more romance points?

So the choice is yours, however you want to do, its an open game, so just play the way you like it, and try to do better in the second playthrough!

Also, romance just doesn't pop up no matter what points you have, you will have to flirt around a bit. Some choices will trigger/ignite the fire:D Just keep this in mind, save...save...SAVE a lot, so in case you fuck it up, you can always go back!

Oghren loves beer gifts.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Enchantment? Enchantment!

I had looked at that DA Wikia earlier and it wasn't helpful. So what are generally considered the best enchantments? I have that two-hand sword from the Warden's Keep DLC and it has three slots, none of which I've used up yet ... I noticed there are three elemental types, do they stack together? Could I just fit three +5 whatever into them? I mean, what's best? And where can I buy them?

Macmanus

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Enchantment? Enchantment!

I had looked at that DA Wikia earlier and it wasn't helpful. So what are generally considered the best enchantments? I have that two-hand sword from the Warden's Keep DLC and it has three slots, none of which I've used up yet ... I noticed there are three elemental types, do they stack together? Could I just fit three +5 whatever into them? I mean, what's best? And where can I buy them?

Completely depends on what class is utilizing that sword. Swapping in and out different enchantments is completely free and simple so you can change it up depending on the encounter.

For my tank I'm really fond of spell resistance and a bit more damage, for my rogue I put in elemental damage and paralyze. The paralyze ruin hits enough where I find it worth while.

Katana_Strikes said:
Not sure why this game has got so much love after playing it last night...

Because most of us aren't playing it on a third tier system.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hmm, what are some easy ways to raise Zevrans "like me" meter?
I'm having a hard time finding any gifts in shops I haven't already bought and my dialogue wheel isnt offering me anything new.

He's about 1 click up from "average like" or whatever its called, but everytime I travel in Denerim I get ambushed by another Crow and I'm forced to kill him. I'd prefer, uh, for this not to happen.

I did give him some special gloves once, anything else?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I managed to get him to love me with only dialogue, dalish elf gloves, and Antivan leather boots. He's got a weird leather fetish but overall, he's not tough to max out.

Meier

Pankaks said:
I managed to get him to love me with only dialogue, dalish elf gloves, and Antivan leather boots. He's got a weird leather fetish but overall, he's not tough to max out.
Same. Just need to get Alistair on my next go-round as a chick.

Unrelated, but the final Archdemon battle is brutal. I ended up lowering the difficulty to casual for it.

Just beat the game. It's definitely a great game, my main gripe is with the pacing. Sometimes you have to go through long groups of dungeons for 5-6 hours. A quick question (Late-game spoilers_:
is it possible to have both Alistair and Loghain in your party together
?

ACE 1991

darkpaladinmfc said:
Just beat the game. It's definitely a great game, my main gripe is with the pacing. Sometimes you have to go through long groups of dungeons for 5-6 hours. A quick question (Late-game spoilers_:
is it possible to have both Alistair and Loghain in your party together
?

FUUUUUUCK.

I just accidentally highlighted your spoiler tag.

Ashodin

Let's pick apart your review!

Zaptruder said:
Just finished the game.
Grats! I loved every minute of it.

It's good. Great even. In so far as the general Bioware RPG formula is honed and refined and great.
I echo your sentiments in saying: that Bioware are the masters of their craft, and in trying to create their own fantasy setting have done incredibly well for themselves, as previously they've had to pull off source material. This is their first outing, meaning the second game can only improve (and will).

But it indelibly feels like you're playing a Bioware RPG. It doesn't let you forget it.
I also echo your sentiments here. There are so many Bioware niche things in the game, that you don't exactly sink into the experience. It feels a lot of times like a clone of Mass Effect, which I will get to your next point.

The whole dialogue system is an unfortunate regression from Mass Effect.
Agreed. It's not so much as a regression from Mass Effect, as "redesign" of Baldur's Gate and similar CRPG question choices. It's Mass Effect-speak Lite(tm), if you will. And in this way, it feels like an Alpha version of Mass Effect's great dialogue pathways. In the second game, I hope it mirrors Mass Effect 2's way of interrupting the conversation.

I don't get it... ME allows you to play a character of your design, but it still gives Commander Shepheard a voice. I just don't understand why that couldn't have been done for DA. Because they let you pick a few different races? Just fudge it. Use a neutral accent and be done with it.
Shepard had a voice because they wanted something different. Shepard being vocal lets you emote more with the protagonist, ESPECIALLY more so because if you took the time to make him look like yourself, it felt like you were really in-game. However, as this game was a throwback to CRPG games of old, the protagonist usually never talked. It would not have been hard to use a talented voice actor inflect different ways to talk for Elves, Humans, or Dwarves.

I'm going to replay the last bit of the game and become king myself. The alternative king is entirely too much of a simp for my tastes.
I have yet to do that, as I wanted to play through the game as another class. I suggest doing this, the entire game changes around your own choice of class and race. As a City Elf now, I feel like I am being hounded by appearance in human settlements. Whereas when I was a human Mage, I felt like an outcast from every society. The game makes you really feel where you came from in certain moments.

Atrus

Gold Member
xxjuicesxx said:
Why does every woman in this game have an enormous rack? :lol

They just reused the same body for all of them, same as with the men. Still... my character's aren't complaining, especially 'Evil' my evil, perverted, ugly old mage.

Ugly old man + Leliana, Morrigan, Zevran, Isabella, all the workers at the Pearl (plus some non-humanoids), Gheyna, and Lust Demon. It's too bad they don't all have cutscenes.

Atrus said:
They just reused the same body for all of them, same as with the men. Still... my character's aren't complaining, especially 'Evil' my evil, perverted, ugly old mage.

Ugly old man + Leliana, Morrigan, Zevran, Isabella, all the workers at the Pearl (plus some non-humanoids), Gheyna, and Lust Demon. It's too bad they don't all have cutscenes.

You really fucked all those people with one character?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Fredescu said:
Gold and silver bars.

yea, but where do you get more?
I feel like I've already given all the gifts you can buy to the women... I neglected the men, I didn't know they'd try to kill you :lol

Do any merchants restock? Or, maybe even better, where do you get the Antivan leather boots? pretty sure I only used the gloves

Atrus

Gold Member
Dark Stalkers said:
You really fucked all those people with one character?

Yup. If there's one thing about Western RPG's it's that at least one of my characters becomes man-whore of the realm. I really don't think there's anyone else you can sleep with as a Mage though. The two potential women in Redcliffe don't amount to anything more than kisses.

The only one I think that has more sexual encounters is the male human noble origin, and that's dependant on extrapolating certain things from one of the endings.

Female characters can 'offer' themselves up in exchange for favors, but oddly enough the offers aren't taken or realized.

Kittonwy

Banned
If I didn't like Fallout 3 or Oblivion would I like this game? Looking for a game to play.
Indifferent2.gif

Fredescu

Kittonwy said:
If I didn't like Fallout 3 or Oblivion would I like this game? Looking for a game to play.
Indifferent2.gif
Yeah it's very different to those games. It's not open world, and the combat is real time with pause party based combat. Not sure what your wrpg experience is like, but think single player MMO with a full party. It is very dialogue heavy, probably moreso than Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

Atrus

Gold Member
Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

Neither are like Dragons-Age. DA is close to Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate, and to a lesser extent Star Wars: KotoR.

DA is party-based and there are classes and attributes which expand your choices in the game to a limited extent. Overall though it's really the same game regardless of class, origin or attribute. The variations are minor.

While I don't think it's an exceptional game, the fact that it sticks with historically successful gameplay makes it hard to do wrong. The narrative lacks drama in the plot-twisting and life-altering sense of urgency that JRPG's tend to take from both Japanese and Western influences, but it's a fun 50-60 hours that's never about grinding.

In fact, there's never really any onus on letting you wander to begin with. This isn't an open-world game. You have a map, and you travel to places where you need to do quests. Once you're done, not only do you rarely return but some places actually disappear from the map, which unfortunately means that you can miss things, and even party members.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Maxrpg said:
Screw those other guys, the real question is did you like ff12 or not?

FF12? What? Speaking strictly about the PC version at least, you are doing it wrong if you are actually automating your party.

Ashodin

Zefah said:
FF12? What? Speaking strictly about the PC version at least, you are doing it wrong if you are actually automating your party.
In the 360/PS3 versions, automating your party is the best way to play the game without headaches, at least in simple encounters. Much more engaging encounters (read: mages/archers) required pausing and doing actual things, much like the PC version.

hteng said:
does anyone find the redcliff bar lady attractive ?
inline_bella_1253323957.jpg

I'd hit it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Maxrpg said:
In the 360/PS3 versions, automating your party is the best way to play the game without headaches, at least in simple encounters. Much more engaging encounters (read: mages/archers) required pausing and doing actual things, much like the PC version.

I've only played the PC version, but after the first hour or so I turned off party AI and never looked back.

Ashodin

Zefah said:
I've only played the PC version, but after the first hour or so I turned off party AI and never looked back.
Ah, well, I would equate the party automating in the console versions akin to playing with a fully customizable squad-RPG game. The party does what they can do (limited as it is) and you manage the situation with your main and their specialties.

Dipper145

Zefah said:
I'm playing PC on nightmare and configured my party AI and never have to control them during any battle except for bosses, and even then just to heal.

Top Bottom