• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah, the party AI for the PS3 version has been just fine so far, even in boss battles. Their default tactics are fine, but I tweak them all so they don't waste stamina/mana on silly things. When I first got Wynne though I barely touched her and she kept the party up just fine by herself. Now I take direct control of all of the characters. I REALLY wish there was a zoomed out feature for the console games though because I hate queueing up everyone's abilities and then not being able to see them all at once from above to judge the situation. Like I pick shield bash with my tank but since I go back to my main character I'm not exactly sure if the enemy was knocked down or not. Obviously when it really matters I'll just stay in charge of that char to make sure if I want something done, like a mgic combo. Anyway, the PS3 version had a large learning curve but now I love the radial menu.

Dipper145 said:
I'm playing PC on nightmare and configured my party AI and never have to control them during any battle except for bosses, and even then just to heal.

Yep. Party tactics can be quite effective even on the highest difficulty levels. Whether you want to micromanage your characters is really more a question of play style than anything else.

Unless you are OCD, there's little downside in mainly controlling one character and switching over when it's necessary (healing, flanking, etc.). Mages and backstabbers are the only classes that you really need to control all that much.

SlickVic

Just curious, are all the treaty quests roughly the same length? Just finished Circle of Magi and Redcliffe (minus the seperate
Urn
quest) and wondering how long the rest will take me. Have quite a few games to go through over my break but really want to finish up the main quest before it's over (figure I can try out the side quests on a future playthrough).

Ventrue

SlickVic said:
Just curious, are all the treaty quests roughly the same length? Just finished Circle of Magi and Redcliffe (minus the seperate
Urn
quest) and wondering how long the rest will take me. Have quite a few games to go through over my break but really want to finish up the main quest before it's over (figure I can try out the side quests on a future playthrough).

Orzammar is way longer than the others.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
QUESTION

I can get Dragon Age for PC for ~AU$40, a little less actually, and I was wondering if it's worth investing.

A strange question for me because I'm an RPG lover, and I love most of what BioWare's done, but from Day 1 I've for some reason had little interest in Dragon Age. Something about it looked...wanky, though it could be my longing for Mass Effect 2 that has overshadowered this apparent gem.

Anyway, AU$40 is pretty cheap consider it's still at least AU$80 in stores, even more some places, and there's like zero games I have interest in until late January. I'm also off work for about a month, so have plenty of time to game.

I guess what I'm asking is if the game does a good job of hooking the player, offering plenty of rewarding things to do, and always seems to offer something interesting and new without being too streamlined. If so, it couldn't hurt to pick this up for the Christmas break.

Oh, and all this bonus quest content DLC bullshit, is it worth it? Or am I not really missing much.

Zaptruder

Banned
EatChildren said:
QUESTION

I can get Dragon Age for PC for ~AU$40, a little less actually, and I was wondering if it's worth investing.

A strange question for me because I'm an RPG lover, and I love most of what BioWare's done, but from Day 1 I've for some reason had little interest in Dragon Age. Something about it looked...wanky, though it could be my longing for Mass Effect 2 that has overshadowered this apparent gem.

Anyway, AU$40 is pretty cheap consider it's still at least AU$80 in stores, even more some places, and there's like zero games I have interest in until late January. I'm also off work for about a month, so have plenty of time to game.

I guess what I'm asking is if the game does a good job of hooking the player, offering plenty of rewarding things to do, and always seems to offer something interesting and new without being too streamlined. If so, it couldn't hurt to pick this up for the Christmas break.

Oh, and all this bonus quest content DLC bullshit, is it worth it? Or am I not really missing much.

It's Baldurs Gate 3. It really is. Or as much as it can be given the lack of D&D license.

SlickVic said:
Urn
Orzammar is the longest, and the Dalish Forest is the shortest. I'd forget most of the sidequests as they tend to be quite boring, there's only a few worth going through (Personally I liked the Slim Cauldry quests, the blind Templar, and the Gheyna/Cammen quest was funny too).

Ricker

darkpaladinmfc said:
Orzammar is the longest, and the Gheyna/Cammen quest was funny too).

Longest and hardest,at least at level 18 on normal,the last fights are just ridiculously hard...as for Gheyna/Cammen quest,I guess I messed it up because it`s still in my journal,as not completed,and Cammen is nowhere to be found and Gheyna just sits on a log and just says a few words to me if I talk to her.

chapel

Banned
With their announcement of the Mac version hitting today in a few hours, is anyone planning on picking it up that otherwise hadn't because there was no mac version?

I am considering it strongly, based on all the positive feedback and my seemingly pregnant woman like urge to play a good wrpg on the computer, I have a hackintosh which Id rather not install windows on if I can help it. So having a semi-native port is nice.

Should I read up on strategy before playing? Would just jumping in be harder due to the hard choices they throw at you?

What about the dlc, the deluxe version includes the warden dlc, is it worth getting? You get that plus 3 exclusive items above the prisoner dlc and dragon armor, is it worth $15 more? I don't think you can get the dlc separately though with the mac versions atm.

My only complaint thus far is
being trapped in Anvil of the Void and not being able to leave to change my party, get extra potions etc. So I had to resort to switching to easy mode *shudder* to continue.
Anybody else have this problem?
Otherwise great game!

ACE 1991

EatChildren said:
QUESTION

It does a fantastic job of hooking you in, that's for sure. I'm not the hugest fan of expansive RPG's, but I've been unable to put this one down. I've sunk about 15 hours in over the past three days :lol

EDIT: Also, I've been laughing at how similar Orzammar and Ironforge are, but structurally and aesthetically. I realize they're both derivative of other fantasy settings, but it's still kind of funny.

LCfiner

chapel said:
With their announcement of the Mac version hitting today in a few hours, is anyone planning on picking it up that otherwise hadn't because there was no mac version?

I am considering it strongly, based on all the positive feedback and my seemingly pregnant woman like urge to play a good wrpg on the computer, I have a hackintosh which Id rather not install windows on if I can help it. So having a semi-native port is nice.

Should I read up on strategy before playing? Would just jumping in be harder due to the hard choices they throw at you?

What about the dlc, the deluxe version includes the warden dlc, is it worth getting? You get that plus 3 exclusive items above the prisoner dlc and dragon armor, is it worth $15 more? I don't think you can get the dlc separately though with the mac versions atm.

I'm tempted to pick up the mac version but I'm concerned it'll run like poop on the 9400M gfx in the 13" MBP. :\

Once I hear some impressions (likely on other sites) I'll make a decision. I'd definitely like to have the PC experience with this game and use overhead view and have more control over battles.

chapel

Banned
LCfiner said:
I'm tempted to pick up the mac version but I'm concerned it'll run like poop on the 9400M gfx in the 13" MBP. :\

Once I hear some impressions (likely on other sites) I'll make a decision. I'd definitely like to have the PC experience with this game and use overhead view and have more control over battles.
I have a 4870 1GB so I don't think I will have too many issues. I should try it on my MacBook with an Intel GMA950 and see how terrible it would run haha.

Truant

Zaptruder said:
It's Baldurs Gate 3. It really is. Or as much as it can be given the lack of D&D license.

No, it really isn't. MMO combat, uninteresting quests, bland universe.

I mean, Forgotten Realms is as cookie cutter as you get, but they still manage to get so much soul and personality into BG2.

LCfiner

chapel said:
I have a 4870 1GB so I don't think I will have too many issues. I should try it on my MacBook with an Intel GMA950 and see how terrible it would run haha.

it won't even run on the GMA950 or X3100. it's part of the min reqmnts spec.

WanderingWind said:
Not to mention, it's pretty hilarious for WoT freaks getting upset about their brand of rip-off being ripped off.

Also, there were male Chanters...

Heh, pick on one pick on them all...LoTR was heavily inspired by nordic and saxon lore (ever heard of King Gandalf?), doesn't prevent the books from being excellent

Pff, Ive read many epic fantasy series...re-reading WoT just now and it is probably my favourite...its got what One Piece has: vibrancy

bengraven

nelsonroyale said:
Heh, pick on one pick on them all...LoTR was heavily inspired by nordic and saxon lore (ever heard of King Gandalf?), doesn't prevent the books from being excellent

Pff, Ive read many epic fantasy series...re-reading WoT just now and it is probably my favourite...its got what One Piece has: vibrancy

Tolkien's rip off of D&D made it so I couldn't finish his trilogy.

Darklord

Banned
Finally got my copy in the mail yesterday. It's a fun game. Not sure how I feel about the silence character...I guess I got used to them talking. It's no big deal though.

I love the feel of the game. I'm in the camp area after meeting Duncan and the look is amazing. Textures are kinda muddy but the art design is great. Seeing the huge snowy mountains and giant towers, hearing the soldiers train and prepare for the coming battle, it feels like a war, it feels like I'm getting ready for battle. I love it!

What I don't love is the combat. I mean I've seen worse but it's just...annoying. Half the time my spells don't work or ends up turning the wrong way and it pisses me off. Shoot the fucking spell god damn it! Also managing the other characters is a bit of a pest, the tactics page seems overly complicated. I guess I'll get use to it but so far the combat isn't the best.It's also VERY MMO-ish. I wonder if it's the same combat system as The Old Republic?

I also wish the 'Blood magic' was a bit more evil. Instead of coming up with lots of interesting and evil spells it's just debuffing shit with a cool spell at the end. Meh, I'll just stick to Arcane I guess. I'd have liked to have been a dark mage but whatever, I'm not a debuffer.

Ventrue

Truant said:
No, it really isn't. MMO combat, uninteresting quests, bland universe.

I mean, Forgotten Realms is as cookie cutter as you get, but they still manage to get so much soul and personality into BG2.
None of those complaints are completely unfair, but the game is still very easy to recommend to anyone who has ever liked a Bioware game, especially if they've enjoyed one post-BG2.

Gino

I love this game but I tell yea after going halfway through the mage tower I switched to casual and I don't think I"m going to go back. I like feeling like a bad ass when I play rpgs and this game is just to tough for me on normal.

I've still died a couple times on casual btw.

Meier

Atrus said:
They just reused the same body for all of them, same as with the men. Still... my character's aren't complaining, especially 'Evil' my evil, perverted, ugly old mage.

Ugly old man + Leliana, Morrigan, Zevran, Isabella, all the workers at the Pearl (plus some non-humanoids), Gheyna, and Lust Demon. It's too bad they don't all have cutscenes.

I didn't realize you could hook up with Gheyna. I offered but she didn't bite -- I figured it was a dead end. Where was the Lust Demon? Is she the one who had the templar under her spell in the Magi Tower?

hteng said:
does anyone find the redcliff bar lady attractive ?
She's pretty cute, I got a kiss out of her. I expected you'd be able to do more but no such luck.

Meier said:
I didn't realize you could hook up with Gheyna. I offered but she didn't bite -- I figured it was a dead end. Where was the Lust Demon? Is she the one who had the templar under her spell in the Magi Tower?
The one possessing Connor.

SlickVic

darkpaladinmfc said:
Orzammar is the longest, and the Dalish Forest is the shortest. I'd forget most of the sidequests as they tend to be quite boring, there's only a few worth going through (Personally I liked the Slim Cauldry quests, the blind Templar, and the Gheyna/Cammen quest was funny too).

Thanks. I'll get the other quests out of the way before I tackle Orzammar. Good to know.

Fredescu

Darklord said:
What I don't love is the combat. I mean I've seen worse but it's just...annoying. Half the time my spells don't work or ends up turning the wrong way and it pisses me off. Shoot the fucking spell god damn it! Also managing the other characters is a bit of a pest, the tactics page seems overly complicated. I guess I'll get use to it but so far the combat isn't the best.It's also VERY MMO-ish. I wonder if it's the same combat system as The Old Republic?
The combat is the best part of the game. No idea what you mean about spells not working.

Gravijah

Alright so I finally picked this up, and I'm looking to make a Warrior/Berserker. What stats should I be worrying about? I see the skills take dexterity... Should I be putting out an even amount of str/dex? What about other stats?

biocat

I just picked up this and Mass Effect for ~$26 on ea.com.

It sounds like I just bought two very similar games, but I'll probably space them out enough that it won't matter much.

Any quick suggestions when making my character? I tend to prefer playing as a tank.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Gravijah said:
Alright so I finally picked this up, and I'm looking to make a Warrior/Berserker. What stats should I be worrying about? I see the skills take dexterity... Should I be putting out an even amount of str/dex? What about other stats?

I shouldn't do this, but you may not want to play as a warrior....

Macmanus

biocat said:
Any quick suggestions when making my character? I tend to prefer playing as a tank.

Choose warrior and go full blown shield specialization for optimal tanking. Your damage output will obviously suffer compared to other warrior builds, but with appropriate points into two aggro building skills (taunt and threatening stance) you shouldn't have too many problems. I went two mages and a rogue with the tank being my main. Also I highly recommend the Templar and Champion specializations.

People complain about this game being too difficult at times, but I'm almost through it and have had a group wipe literally once and have chugged less than a dozen potions my entire play through (on normal.) Your first permanent companion will also be a shield specialized tank, but he is quickly ditched, and for the duration of time you have him you wont run into any issues.

_PM said:
Wait, so I
destroyed the phylactery
, now I
can't unlock the Arcane Warrior specialization
?

In no way am I certain, but I would image that you are correct. Just load up your closest hard save, go do that simple task, and then reload your old game. It should still unlock it for everything (except possibly your current game, which is most likely your main concern.)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Gravijah said:
Look, I'll gladly take any advice. I haven't played much, so if you have reasons for why not, tell me them!

I can't without spoiling the game. It's not impossible to do, mind you, but there are story based reasons why warrior is a bad choice for a first play through.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
biocat said:

It sounds like I just bought two very similar games, but I'll probably space them out enough that it won't matter much.

Well, there is only 1 Warrior class so...

Gravijah

WanderingWind said:
I can't without spoiling the game. It's not impossible to do, mind you, but there are story based reasons why warrior is a bad choice for a first play through.

OK then, say I want a rogue... What would be recommended based on the makeup of other later party members?

Fredescu

Gravijah said:
Look, I'll gladly take any advice. I haven't played much, so if you have reasons for why not, tell me them!
biocat said:
To both of these questions, you pick up a lot of warriors as party members. It doesn't so much matter which class you prefer playing as since you need to balance your party out anyway, so you'll have one or two warriors in your group which you can micromanage if you want. If you don't use the respec mod, you can't make a dual wield warrior, but you get sword and board and two hander party members.

Bioware said that 50% of people make warriors anyway, with the rest evenly split between Mage and Rogue.

WanderingWind said:
I can't think of anything?

EDIT: Well except that most party members are Warriors, but that's not really that big of a deal.

Macmanus

WanderingWind said:
Basically what was said above. So many warriors join your party, that it feels redundant to play the first time through as a warrior.

This is very true, and of all the characters that annoy the hell out of me, Wynn is at the top of the list. Oh how I would have loved to replace her.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
dammit!

I can't decide if I should support Anora or
force Allister to marry her!

grrr, tough calls. Does it change the ending?

LCfiner

LCfiner said:

Doubt this will affect too many here but I thought I’d post limited impressions of how the Mac version runs on a 13” macbook pro. (2.53 C2D, 4 GB ram, 9400M). I took the plunge and got the standard digital version for 50 bucks.

it, um, runs…

seriously, it runs around 25 fps (some dips into the low 20s/ high teens) most of the time with medium gfx effects, 2X AA and high textures. frame buffer effects off, 1280 x 800 resolution.

it’s playable. I started a noble dwarf origin and played about an hour and did a little 1v1 combat in the proving grounds.

Although it’s not as smooth running as the 360 version, the increase in texture resolution plus the benefit of mouse controls/ tactical view might make me go back to the Mac version for secondary playthroughs with different origins down the line.

(for the first time ever, I kinda wish I had spent more for the 15” Macbook Pro with the 9600 gfx chip. oh well. the game will still be around even if I get new hardware in a couple years)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Well I got Morrigan's 'love' out of the way and I was surprised how abrupt and meaningless it was. Before I bought the game I thought the love scene came at a specific point in the game with the character you had the most approval with..kind of like who Cloud goes on a date with in Final Fantasy 7. I didn't know it was just a matter of throwing some random gifts at them, picking a few dialogue options, and watching it happen at my camp with everyone else there. The fact you can do it with mutiple characters and so early in the game really makes it trivial. In the end all I did was unlock some stat bonuses and a quest..I don't have any 'bond' with the NPC besides her little giggle when we talk. I've enjoyed everything about the game so far except this part.

bigswords

biocat said:

Go down the shield specialization tree. I completed the game with a 2 hander warrior, but I think shield warriors are superior as they last longer lol....

Mass Effect for $26? that's too expensive, buy it from steam at $9.99 (i'm not sure the offer still stands though).

chapel

Banned
So I got the game. Plays pretty well, though I would have hoped for everything maxed at 1080p with better performance, but I opted to notch it down so that it was smoother. I wish I could play it windowed, but no option to do so and changing the ini values makes the game crash. I have two screens and the secondary one is blacked out which is very annoying.

I started playing as a Mage, I feel powerful being able to heal and everything, but my power selection isn't very smart now that I have seen how some of them work.

I am considering starting over. Do you have to play through everything over again, or is there a way to swap spells at least? I just got Morrigan btw, so the game just started heh.

Fredescu

chapel said:
I wish I could play it windowed, but no option to do so and changing the ini values makes the game crash.
I played in windowed mode the whole time. Worked great. Run the launcher, click configure, choose video, and untick "play in full-screen mode".

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Question about Redcliffe:
Do you have to save Arl Eamon? Can you just skip the Urn of Sacred Ashes? It seemed like you could considering you can corrupt the ashes.

_tetsuo_ said:
Question about Redcliffe:
Do you have to save Arl Eamon? Can you just skip the Urn of Sacred Ashes? It seemed like you could considering you can corrupt the ashes.

You have to
save Eamon. Even if you corrupt the ashes, you do it after you take enough to save his life.

Top Bottom