• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Dennis

Banned
WTF, my current playtime is 32 hours and it says I have completed 15% of the game.

How fucking long is this game :lol

And, oh yeah, am I loving this - second best RPG to come out in 2009, right behind Risen.

Ricker

Be careful with the mods guys,one of the high textures mods out there,deleted an extension used by Windows XP,when I deleted the execute and I had to re-install/repair XP...I think it`s the JBhigh texture one.

Ventrue

DennisK4 said:
WTF, my current playtime is 32 hours and it says I have completed 15% of the game.

How fucking long is this game :lol

And, oh yeah, am I loving this - second best RPG to come out in 2009, right behind Risen.
The percentages include all the Origins and sidequests - it's across playthroughs.

I think I finished my first run at about 38 hours / 37% complete.

mjc

Good Christ this game is pushing me to the edge of my tolerance.

I've been playing a mage for my first playthrough and it has been fairly awesome so far. One or two quests ago I started noticing that I was pulling all the aggro on enemies instead of Sten or Shale even though I have the two of them set to aggressive. I'm always a decent distance away making sure that I don't piss them off, but no matter what I do they beeline it straight to me. I have Morrigan set to healing/status effects so that helps for a short while, but then I get absolutely surrounded no matter what I do.

Any tips? I'm playing on 360 btw.

mjc said:
Good Christ this game is pushing me to the edge of my tolerance.

I've been playing a mage for my first playthrough and it has been fairly awesome so far. One or two quests ago I started noticing that I was pulling all the aggro on enemies instead of Sten or Shale even though I have the two of them set to aggressive. I'm always a decent distance away making sure that I don't piss them off, but no matter what I do they beeline it straight to me. I have Morrigan set to healing/status effects so that helps for a short while, but then I get absolutely surrounded no matter what I do.

Any tips? I'm playing on 360 btw.
You need to make Sten and Shale go into an aggro stance. Put Shale into Stoneheart and Sten into Taunt (There's another Warrior talent that pulls aggro, but the name escapes me right now).

Doytch

mjc said:
On my second play-through, I've been trying to use Tactics as much as possible whereas I had them turned off the first time. So hopefully this'll be applicable.

Like the poster above said, have Tactics set up that always have the "draw aggro" stances (Stonheart/Threaten) enabled for your tanks. Also, set up a Tactic that says "If Enemy's target == Morrigan, then Use Ability: Taunt" and do another if it's targeting you. Not really sure how many slots you get in the console versions, so hopefully you don't run out.

loving the game (pc version) so far, best thing ive played in 10 years. saved orzammar for last and i am absolutely hating it though. nothing but running around and small battles. ive been at it for nearly 3 hours and there is no fun to be had. i understand bioware thinks the player wants to be involved in a political deal but this is just terrible.

Gettysburger said:
loving the game (pc version) so far, best thing ive played in 10 years. saved orzammar for last and i am absolutely hating it though. nothing but running around and small battles. ive been at it for nearly 3 hours and there is no fun to be had. i understand bioware thinks the player wants to be involved in a political deal but this is just terrible.
Don't worry, soon you'll have 5 hours of dungeons :lol .

soldat7

I created an EA account in order to play the old Battlefield 2 demo several years ago. Now I can't log into my account using my email address and I can't create a new one with this email address. I have waited for several hours and still can't reset my password.

I'm thinking that Dragon Age might just go back to the old Gamestop since I can't redeem any of my codes. Super lame. They better not pull this stunt with Mass Effect 2...

soldat7 said:
I created an EA account in order to play the old Battlefield 2 demo several years ago. Now I can't log into my account using my email address and I can't create a new one with this email address. I have waited for several hours and still can't reset my password.

Use another e-mail address?

roxya

Just started this a few days ago. Didn't like it until today. Now I have more abilities and disabled most of the tactics, it's starting to feel a lot like BG2. I love micromanaging the battles.

Random observations:

- Nowhere near enough inventory space.
- PC version runs amazingly.
- Some of the fights are HARD!
- Would have preferred a party of 6. It's too big a choice deciding on who to keep/drop :/

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I just picked this up (pc version) for $20. Yay boxing day.

Only played for 20 minutes or so, but DAMN. This actually feels like a PC game.

33ejx9s.jpg

wir1id.jpg

2vi055i.jpg

n16iq9.jpg

Giant rats. Nice. :lol

MechaX

I'm about 20 or so hours into it right now. And while the game is definitely fun, it also definitely had a lot of hair-pulling moments than I would have liked from a game on my first time through. Whether it is my class, the enemies, my party, or just me in particular, it seems like the difficulty curve is just all over the place. Some times, I can breeze for quite awhile, but then I hit something like a room with three Blood Mages that completely throws everything to hell in back. I was under the presumption that the Tactics system was pretty much FFXII's Gambit System verbatim, but skill cool-down times almost always throw monkey wrenches into my plans.

Lucky thing I'm playing with a rogue that can just use stealth and booby trap the field. I have no fucking idea how I could have done this without any stealth abilities (well, I guess Mages might be the most powerful units in the game given their destructive abilities). Of course, I was told to pump Dex and Cun and forget everything else, and I'm kinda kicking myself for not putting a point to Str here and there (just for the armor equips).

Currently, I'm stuck at the Kadan-Fe Hideout. My party of four versus about nine huge dudes with greatswords that embody the term "Clusterfuck". Fun.

EDIT: Just fully stocked up on healing items and went in. I pretty much had no real strategy this time outside of just rushing in and trying to backstab everything. Luckily, my Rogue's dex was so high that barely anyone could hit her.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
rainking187 said:
Super late with this question, but were the .gifs in the OP actually in the game? I don't recall ever seeing them.
A few from the city elf origin story, another from when Duncan has everyone drink from the chalice to become a Grey Warden.

Arde5643

MechaX said:
I'm about 20 or so hours into it right now. And while the game is definitely fun, it also definitely had a lot of hair-pulling moments than I would have liked from a game on my first time through. Whether it is my class, the enemies, my party, or just me in particular, it seems like the difficulty curve is just all over the place. Some times, I can breeze for quite awhile, but then I hit something like a room with three Blood Mages that completely throws everything to hell in back. I was under the presumption that the Tactics system was pretty much FFXII's Gambit System verbatim, but skill cool-down times almost always throw monkey wrenches into my plans.

Lucky thing I'm playing with a rogue that can just use stealth and booby trap the field. I have no fucking idea how I could have done this without any stealth abilities (well, I guess Mages might be the most powerful units in the game given their destructive abilities). Of course, I was told to pump Dex and Cun and forget everything else, and I'm kinda kicking myself for not putting a point to Str here and there (just for the armor equips).

Currently, I'm stuck at the Kadan-Fe Hideout. My party of four versus about nine huge dudes with greatswords that embody the term "Clusterfuck". Fun.

EDIT: Just fully stocked up on healing items and went in. I pretty much had no real strategy this time outside of just rushing in and trying to backstab everything. Luckily, my Rogue's dex was so high that barely anyone could hit her.

If you can use re-spec mod, just mod it so that your rogue has at least 20 STR so that she can wear the best light armour in the game. After that just focus on CUN and DEX.

Your group has poison skills right? Every frontline fighters should have one poison skill so that they can use the bombs when they're crowded by enemies or use poison to kill bosses.
Just have one of your rogue maximise the poison line so that he/she can make bombs and high level poison.

MechaX

Arde5643 said:
If you can use re-spec mod, just mod it so that your rogue has at least 20 STR so that she can wear the best light armour in the game. After that just focus on CUN and DEX.

Your group has poison skills right? Every frontline fighters should have one poison skill so that they can use the bombs when they're crowded by enemies or uBse poison to kill bosses.
Just have one of your rogue maximise the poison line so that he/she can make bombs and high level poison.

Unfortunately, I have the 360 version. However, I did start making some more poison supplies. Plus, this should come in handy as I gain more assassin skills.

Also, as something totally unrelated on another tangent, good God Morrigan is whiny about everything. I understand being sarcastic and slightly more on the Chaotic side, but Jesus Christ. She nitpicks virtually any attempt at some generous side-questing or just generosity in general, even though this is just a foot in the door to helping the party with some larger issues like.. well, the Darkspawn.

Here was a situation that I found rather humorous after first going to Redcliff.

Bann Teagan: A lot of undead forces have completely overwhelmed us and no one is hearing our calls for help. Since you're a Grey Warden, we really, really need your help.
Main Character: We'll help out, especially when considering that not only do you have most of the pull in Redcliffe at this point, but you might be the only person right now that can assist us aganist Logain's new found political pow-
Morrigan: I DON'T WANNA HELP WHY DO WE GOTTA HELP THEM I DUN WANNA WAH WAH WAH
Morrigan Approval Rating -5

Brashnir

Got this for Christmas. Only had time to play a couple hours but I love it so far. Any tips for playing a human warrior type? I've been going with sword + shield combo to this point. Should I stick to focusing on just one weapon type or is it OK to have skills in multiple styles?

Brashnir said:
Got this for Christmas. Only had time to play a couple hours but I love it so far. Any tips for playing a human warrior type? I've been going with sword + shield combo to this point. Should I stick to focusing on just one weapon type or is it OK to have skills in multiple styles?

Stick with one style, there's not enough leveling to be good in more than one. Sword and shield is really good though, so there's no problem to stick with that.

Arde5643

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Stick with one style, there's not enough leveling to be good in more than one. Sword and shield is really good though, so there's no problem to stick with that.
Archer to get scattershot line and sword n shield to shield wall and shield mastery is also a pretty good hybrid.

Brashnir

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:

Thanks, that's what I was expecting. The only thing making me reconsider is that one of my other current party members is also sword/shield, but I guess I'll get rid of him eventually.

Brashnir said:
Thanks, that's what I was expecting. The only thing making me reconsider is that one of my other current party members is also sword/shield, but I guess I'll get rid of him eventually.

Yeah, you'll quickly meet other characters that you can use for the other styles and such.

ntropy

i would recommend dual weapon mastery up to momentum. great, fast offense and the dexterity requirements give you a nice defense by default. (i used Alistair and his shield talents were wasted the whole time)

id like a fallout game on this engine...

go first person realtime shooter instead of behind the back 3rd person view,and then fallout view with turnbased combat if you mousewheel up to the iso view.

....god thatd be awesome :lol

Arde5643

ZombieSupaStar said:
id like a fallout game on this engine...

go first person realtime shooter instead of behind the back 3rd person view,and then fallout view with turnbased combat if you mousewheel up to the iso view.

....god thatd be awesome :lol
That's exactly why everyone wanted Bioware to do Fallout 3 last time pretty much.

Anyone know if there's a way to lock the framerate in the PC version?
Game almost never holds 60 and constantly fluctuates between 25-45. Would just like to lock it at 30fps

Hyunkel6

I just started playing the game today (360 version). Awesome game. Am I missing something or is it not possible to stack attacks on the console version?

Ventrue

AgentOtaku said:
Anyone know if there's a way to lock the framerate in the PC version?
Game almost never holds 60 and constantly fluctuates between 25-45. Would just like to lock it at 30fps
Right click on the game's icon, go to properties and at the end of target add (after the quotation marks, and with a space):
-maxfps=30

If you're running the Steam version, right click -> properties -> launch options and put it in there.

Note that this may not actually work, it's from Bioware's documentation on the toolset wiki and hasn't been verified for retail copies.

I don't know if I just suck at this game, but I just started a rogue and can barely hurt anything. I guess putting talent points in lockpicking and smooth talking was a waste?

Just started playing this game today, about 6 hours in but not very far I take it since I talk to almost everyone and explore forever to make sure I don't miss anything. I rolled a Dwarf Commoner Rogue and thought the opening Origin story was fantastic, I JUST completed the joining ceremony for the Grey Wardens.

Anyways, I'm like level 4 or 5 and have been trying to spec my character into Archery. Unfortunately, I've found after playing a bit that the actual Rogue/Assassination talents seem much more useful and, more importantly, fun. Being able to sneak into a group of enemies, position myself just right, and then unleash a flurry of attacks and stuns while duel-wielding - and especially being able to back-stab enemies instead of flinging a dozen arrows into a target when my tank has aggro.

Will that re-spec mod work at such an early level (when do I have access to the "Player Camp")? Plus it wouldn't effect my game at all, would it? Like tagging me for cheating and not letting me gain achievements online or something.... PC version obviously

Ventrue said:
Right click on the game's icon, go to properties and at the end of target add (after the quotation marks, and with a space):
-maxfps=30

If you're running the Steam version, right click -> properties -> launch options and put it in there.

Note that this may not actually work, it's from Bioware's documentation on the toolset wiki and hasn't been verified for retail copies.

Doesn't work unfortunately =(

Thanks though!

Chris R

You don't have to wait to get the respec. I was in the same boat wanting to play a pure archery class but realizing there were more options as a regular assassin/duelist rogue. The potion giving raven should be in every "story" zone. If you don't want to "cheat" then just don't learn the assassins duelist blood mage ect classes from the raven. Doesn't stop you from getting achievements at all.

Arde5643

Houston3000 said:
Just started playing this game today, about 6 hours in but not very far I take it since I talk to almost everyone and explore forever to make sure I don't miss anything. I rolled a Dwarf Commoner Rogue and thought the opening Origin story was fantastic, I JUST completed the joining ceremony for the Grey Wardens.

Anyways, I'm like level 4 or 5 and have been trying to spec my character into Archery. Unfortunately, I've found after playing a bit that the actual Rogue/Assassination talents seem much more useful and, more importantly, fun. Being able to sneak into a group of enemies, position myself just right, and then unleash a flurry of attacks and stuns while duel-wielding - and especially being able to back-stab enemies instead of flinging a dozen arrows into a target when my tank has aggro.

Will that re-spec mod work at such an early level (when do I have access to the "Player Camp")? Plus it wouldn't effect my game at all, would it? Like tagging me for cheating and not letting me gain achievements online or something.... PC version obviously
Have 2-3 archers ready with scattershot and have a mage cast blizzard -> tempest -> inferno on a room full of stunned enemies.

That should be pretty fun - if any enemy is still alive afterwards, have one of your archer be a hybrid sword and shield guy to pull aggro.
For the rest of the archers, have them go hybrid dual wielding weapons or go full blown on archery to get arrow of slaying.

For ambushes, have one of your sword and shield guy be a templar so that he can withstand the AoE spells from your offensive mage.

Xapati

Houston3000 said:

You're early enough in the game that I wouldn't bother respeccing, just pick the other rogue talents you want from now on. You get enough Talents through the course of the game (especially if you buy the books that give you extra Talents). Besides there are a few boss fights where you'll be glad if you have some talents on archery.

vareon

Finished! At 75 hours or so I think.

What a magnificent game. I'm amazed at how much different my play with that of my friend.

Pfew, just finished the game after 70 hours.

The game had some good moments but also suffers from some serious flaws. In most of it's aspects, the game feels cheap and generic.

First of all, the lore of Ferelden is not as rich as Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms. It seems some cheap pseudo-europe where they decided to call France Orlais and Spain Antiva and the story is too heavily inspired upon lord of the rings. Here's a blight, now go kill 1000 evil darkspawn and then evil archdemon is not very interesting. I also don't like the whole "Find allies. Hurry!" theme. I already have a stressfull life and when I buy a 70 hours long role playing game, the last thing I want to experience is extra stress. Oblivion had the same problem. Not every game needs an urgent danger that requires the player to rush. Why can't I have some time to explore Ferelden and sniff up the atmosphere of the game like I could in Baldur's gate?

The hand drawn environments and dungeons in Baldur's gate/icewind dale/Planescape torment looked like paintings. Unfortunately, Dragon age has none of this. I'm not happy about the generic design of the dungeons. It's just one endless dungeon after another one filled with a huge amount of enemies and when your inventory is full, you have to run back to the entrance. They should have made some of the dungeons smaller and more attractive. There are other ways to keep the player busy like optional outdoor environments.

Another thing is that the non-linearity of the game hurts the difficulty balance of the game. The first two 'mainquests' are pretty hard while the last two are too easy. I'd gladly turn in the freedom of choosing the sequence of the mainquests to have a better balanced game.

Also, the amount of glitches is staggering and constantly manipulating the camera because it never seems to show the right corner is bothersome.
So yes, I'm kind of disappointed.

ntropy

funkmastergeneral said:
I don't know if I just suck at this game, but I just started a rogue and can barely hurt anything. I guess putting talent points in lockpicking and smooth talking was a waste?
get the rogue talent lethality in which your cunning stat becomes your damage modifier.

Darklord

Banned
I really hate friendly fire in this game. It's so stupid. Most of my bigger spells damage an area, the only possible way I can use them is making everyone stand right back and just send my warrior in but then he gets hurt and ends up dying because he's fighting 4-5 monsters + has a gigantic fire tornado on him. And when the monsters surround you, well I'm royally fucked with useful attacking spells aren't I?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
hey guys I recently saw that this game was going for 40 euro over here and I was just wondering if the 360 is worth getting? I mean, I've been reading reviews like crazy but they all boil down to this

[ praise over pc version ]
[mention console version has worse visuals ] ( obviously )

So what I'm trying to get at, how "gimped" is the consoleversion? I'm well aware that when it comes to fps/rpgs then the pcversion is almost always the better controlling one and has the bext textures,res etc etc. But somehow I feel that dragon age is many steps below the usual console/pc differences. Have I got this wrong? Should I wait to play the game until I get a gaming pc ( which is a couple of years away )?

thx and sorry if this has been asked a badgillion times

Peff

Corky said:
So what I'm trying to get at, how "gimped" is the consoleversion? I'm well aware that when it comes to fps/rpgs then the pcversion is almost always the better controlling one and has the bext textures,res etc etc. But somehow I feel that dragon age is many steps below the usual console/pc differences. Have I got this wrong? Should I wait to play the game until I get a gaming pc ( which is a couple of years away )?

thx and sorry if this has been asked a badgillion times

The console versions basically look about the same than the PC version on Medium without the filters and bigger resolutions or over-30 framerates. They are pretty much the same, but the PC version has an isometric view which can be quite useful, can be modded (and there's a handful of mods that are nice to have already) and the keyboard+mouse is better suited for the game since you can have a lot more shortcuts (both console versions have a maximum of 6 shortcuts for attacks, whereas the PC version can easily get to 15/20 and more depending on your resolution). Still, if your PC can't run the game at all and you really want to play the game, they're not as terrible as they're made out to be, especially for that price. I think there are some other differences like a highlighting button to see which items you can interact with but I've only played on PC so I couldn't tell you about that :p

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Peff said:
The console versions basically look about the same than the PC version on Medium without the filters and bigger resolutions or over-30 framerates. They are pretty much the same, but the PC version has an isometric view which can be quite useful, can be modded (and there's a handful of mods that are nice to have already) and the keyboard+mouse is better suited for the game since you can have a lot more shortcuts (both console versions have a maximum of 6 shortcuts for attacks, whereas the PC version can easily get to 15/20 and more depending on your resolution). Still, if your PC can't run the game at all and you really want to play the game, they're not as terrible as they're made out to be, especially for that price. I think there are some other differences like a highlighting button to see which items you can interact with but I've only played on PC so I couldn't tell you about that :p

thanks a bunch man, your post was more informative with regards to comparisons than all the other reviews I've seen, guess I'll bite and get the game tonight :) ! thx again

lsslave

Jew Gamer
So I redid my character, dropped the Dwarf Warrior (2 handed) type and went for a Mage. Everyone I knew was either a Warrior or a Rogue.

I am also doing something I've never done with a WRPG before, I am actually playing it as a role. Instead of just taking every 'good' option (which is what I would do) I am playing the character uniquely. The point of focus for him is based on Raistlin Majere (my favorite fantasy mage) and I have to say, by doing so I don't think I have ever in my entire life had more fun with a WRPG.

It is definitely hard, I really have to think about which characters I am talking to with mine to choose my options. Is this a character I would respect enough to be decent to? Is this character one I would be nice to? etc. but it is making me love the game a lot more.

Congratulations BioWare, while I still have no interest in Mass Effect they have made what is looking to be my favorite WRPG ever with this one, which largely seems influenced based on the fact I am playing the character instead of the token good guy (although getting rid of the alignment system was a great thing because you can actually do choices based on situation and not just "good" or "bad" choices. After playing Dragon Age I have determined that "good" or "bad" really limits a game and takes a lot of fun out of it)

Top Bottom