• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Wallach

ElectricBlue187 said:
I hate the fade because both of characters are glass cannons, a Mage and a rogue, I always give up survivability to maximize DPS in any RPG I play. So in either instance even on easy it doesn't take but a good hit or two to kill me

once I get
Stoneform
it's alright but getting there is a pain. I stopped playing on my 2nd playthrough because my weaksauce rogue (I minimized all my constitution and stuff XD ) can't hang againt a few mages all at once

It's funny to hear people complain that 2H Warriors aren't good enough, because when you find yourself there as one you completely destroy that place. It wasn't too bad on my pure CUN Rogue, but my 2H Warrior walked in there like Clarence and was like "bitches leave", took those stats and flipped the place off as he left. :lol

larvi

Arol said:
So I just finished the game around 50hours~ last night and decided to start several new games just to see the origin stories and try playing as other classes.

I'm wondering if there is an easier way of seeing all possible endings without playing the game so many times? I can assume there are a lot of variations depending on little things you did throughout the game so it seems like a taunting task just to get that one Trophy/Achievement.

Save before the Landsmeet, the event with Morrigan and before going on the roof of the fort and you should be able to get all of the endings just by replaying the final events a few times. But if you are trying for all of the achievements you are going to pretty much need 3 play throughs anyway unless you take advantage of the leveling glitch.

I just got the 1000 and was disappointed in that there really wasn't a lot of difference in the how the game plays out depending on your choices. I did 2 complete playthroughs and it really got repetative in the 2nd. I had planned on doing a 3rd complete one but quit when I got to lvl 20 for the achievement.

Arol

larvi said:
Save before the Landsmeet, the event with Morrigan and before going on the roof of the fort and you should be able to get all of the endings just by replaying the final events a few times. But if you are trying for all of the achievements you are going to pretty much need 3 play throughs anyway unless you take advantage of the leveling glitch.

I just got the 1000 and was disappointed in that there really wasn't a lot of difference in the how the game plays out depending on your choices. I did 2 complete playthroughs and it really got repetative in the 2nd. I had planned on doing a 3rd complete one but quit when I got to lvl 20 for the achievement.

Haha really? Thanks for telling me then, it just so happens out of my save files I happen to have save files right before those specific events.

Yeah I figured three play throughs would have to be done anyways for the Level 20 achievement, but I never heard of the leveling glitch? Does it mess up the game?

But yeah, I didn't think much changed on how the game played which is why I thought it was a bit of a cruel achievement.

Thanks again.

larvi

Arol said:
Haha really? Thanks for telling me then, it just so happens out of my save files I happen to have save files right before those specific events.

Yeah I figured three play throughs would have to be done anyways for the Level 20 achievement, but I never heard of the leveling glitch? Does it mess up the game?

But yeah, I didn't think much changed on how the game played which is why I thought it was a bit of a cruel achievement.

Thanks again.

No it doesn't mess up the game, it's not really a glitch per se than a programming bug that you exploit. To take advantage of it do the following:

When going to the Korcari wilds to complete the quests for the joining get the 3 vials of darkspawn blood but NOT the treaties. Return to Duncan and talk to him and tell him you have the blood but not the treaties and you get the exp for completing the quest anyway. Just keep talking to him and repeating the dialog until you are level 20 and then allocate all of your points and you get the achievement

Arol said:

Thanks again.

The leveling glitch basically gives you an opportunity to level up with a small glitch and go all the way up to 25. Normally you don't just run through it unless you already know about it and how to do it. The problem is that when you level your character up, you will have to use all your points right away, and you won't be able to change later on during the game. So it will be at a disadvantage for you in case you would want more strength to use a specific weapon or need.

bengraven

HomShaBom said:
Well I'm fucking done with this game. I got to Orzammar and tried to do both branches of the king quest bullshit and now the vital npcs wont talk to me. I've been playing for 2 days thinking there was a quest elsewhere I had to do. Looked it up today only to see the only way to fix it is reload an older file. Well my older files are wayy old and I'm not doing it all again. Why the fuck would they make it so a player can fuck themselves like this? Was a fun game, but I'm not doing it again.

This is the Orzammar glitch I've been bitching about for the last 100 pages. hahaha

Fredescu

If you use the levelling glitch the party members you gain will be auto levelled when you get them, so if you don't have access to the respec mod it does kind of "break the game" in that respect. A lot of people like to use Morrigan as a healer for example, which would be made difficult if you maxed your level before getting her. I wouldn't recommend using it on a first playthrough.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
how many endings are there in the game? 6? And are the endings affected by lots of little things or is it a few major bits similar to bow you side with opposing factions?

I've been inundated by lots of morally questionable quests all of a sudden and I don't know if I should do them or not. Are they part of some psychology test or are they just to pad the game out a bit?

My stance so far has been to play my role so I've decided I'm too honorable and busy saving the world to associate with these types. And morrigan doesn't like when I help people on a whim either.

But I also want to experience the game in full. Would I be missing really awesome items or quests if I don't do these things? Do they effect the outcome in any way? Or are they just meaningless padding there for those who want them?

Basically am I making game changing decisions or am I just ignoring boring optional side quests?

I need some tactical help;

I'm in the dungeon in the Brecilian forest right now, and I'm having an absolute blast with this game (which is hands down the best I've played all year).

Anyway, this dungeon is rife with traps that my characters will detect, but ignore once entering combat. If I see an enemy, Alister and Leiliana will rush over to the enemy ignoring the pressure plate they just noticed, launching a giant fireball that kills half of the health of the entire party.

How can I 'program' my party to not run over detected traps? I'm using the pre-fab tactics templates, and have set my melee characters to 'passive', but they still want to rush enemies.

Any help is appreciated!

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
You can tell your party to Hold position (H) key on PC version and then manually tell everyone what to do.

On that part I just got my party to Hold position and made all my party members use their ranged weapons while I got my rogue to disarm the traps.

roxya

I'm surprised to read that people are having trouble in the fade. Even more surprised to hear that it is class related. The first form I got was burning man and after that, I only ever fought in some kind of special form and it was very easy. Maybe I got lucky with the order I acquired the forms?

kaizoku

roxya said:
I'm surprised to read that people are having trouble in the fade. Even more surprised to hear that it is class related. The first form I got was burning man and after that, I only ever fought in some kind of special form and it was very easy. Maybe I got lucky with the order I acquired the forms?

It wasn't necessarily hard, but it was definitely a chore, and it forced me to play carefully cos lets face it an archer surrounded by golems and mages, burning man or not is going to be in trouble. I had plan my move for each room. Normally I just rush in and let my characters use the default tactics and I'll spam moves in the background. Plus its so long. How long would it take to run through given you know exactly what to do in the fastest order? Few hours?

Effect

In the end I had to part ways with this game. Perhaps I made a huge mistake of getting it on the 360 instead of the PC. I believe at the time I thought it would be okay on the console the way Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Mass Effect all played well with a controller. I was wrong, this is really a PC game and needs to be played on a PC. I sold it a few days ago and don't really feel to bad about it. I enjoyed the story but not enough to keep playing the version I had. The controls just kept bothering me and if I do feel the need to play it then the PC version will be the one I pick up. Hopefully in a few years before Dragon Age 2 comes out the PC version will be lower in price.

From how much I played it isn't as good as other games Bioware has done in the end even when one ignores the control scheme I feel. Then again as I said perhaps I need to play it as it was meant to be played, on the computer to really get the feeling I felt when I played BG2 and Neverwinter Nights.

MechaX

Finally finished the game with about 50 or so hours on the clock. The end-game sequence was surprisingly epic despite the near-controller-flinging difficulty of the final boss.
At some points, the darkspawn zerg rush respawned indefinitely. I swear, out of all of the Bioware games I've played, only Mass Effect had a final boss that was not lame as hell for whatever reason.
The game goes into high gear after the landsmeet and it definitely doesn't let up.

When concerning the ending,
I found it absolutely hilarious that I could actually convince Alistair to take part in Morrigan's ritual. Of course, the idea of her birthing some god baby is absolutely frightening, but I guess that's good material for the sequel. Also, I killed Flemeth, so I feel slightly better about it. I'm just curious on what Morrigan even plans on doing with the child.
Also, Sandal is the best character ever.

Now as for the game itself, it definitely teetered into the realm of "absolutely frustrating/borderline broken" on more than one occasion. It's possible that was due to my class selection (Rogue) and my party (usually always Sten, Alistair, Morrigan, and switched out Sten for Leliana once she could summon things). In the final stages of the game, the battles became more and more cluttered. At a certain point, the game compromised exploration to room after room of hordes. Luckily, the enemies have crappy pathfinding, which makes them vulnerable to picking them off, traps, stealth kills, etc.

But even despite of that, it was definitely a good experience from start to finish and had its share of good writing, storytelling, and characters. I even got used to Morrigan after she stopped bitching about every single act of kindness I did, Alistair was actually pretty awesome (including
how absolutely apeshit he goes if you decide to spare Loghain and the fact that he actually makes a pretty good king
), and Leliana was strange but cool. Unfortunately, I wasn't really feeling the rest of the cast. I never used the Stone Prisoner DLC, so maybe that character is good too, but who knows.

This is my first completed experience with the fantasy/medieval type of WRPG, and I'm surprised the game kept my interest. In terms of Bioware RPGs, however, it ranks right in the middle for me. I didn't find it as good as KOTOR or Mass Effect, partly to DA's battle system in combination to the lack of interesting characters. However, it's miles ahead of Jade Empire for sure. The actual story and role playing is just as good as KOTOR and Mass Effect, and even better at some points (especially due to some of the choices you can make and the lack of a defined morality system). Good game, regardless.

Concept17

Just started this, only a few hours in.(ps3 version) So far its pretty enjoyable. A little more dialogue than I care for, but it was expected. I was moving skills around and accidently dropped a heart-shaped ability of one of my characters assigned abilities, and now I can't find it anywhere. Its not a skill or item, but she had it before (didnt have a chance to see what it was or did) Also, how do you assign potions to one of your slots?

Anyway, the combat gets a little chaotic and I've had some trouble organizing a fight and trying to use everyones abilities. Some of the abilities are also confusing... there are 2 taunts, so is there reason to have them both? Or do you just get them to move onto the next skill? Also, I plan to go through all my tactics soon, assuming they help a lot?

My party is Sven, Morrigan, Lorain(sp?) and myself, a 1h/shield warrior. I've only just gone out of that first town, so I assume I'll be picking up more people along the way. Are there any I should avoid leveling/using? And does the actual leveling/fighting start to pick up or is it just small sequences of fights, dialogue, dialogue, town, rinse and repeat?

WilyRook

Concept17 said:
Just started this, only a few hours in.(ps3 version) So far its pretty enjoyable. A little more dialogue than I care for, but it was expected. I was moving skills around and accidently dropped a heart-shaped ability of one of my characters assigned abilities, and now I can't find it anywhere. Its not a skill or item, but she had it before (didnt have a chance to see what it was or did) Also, how do you assign potions to one of your slots?

That sounds like the quick-heal icon, which can be assigned like any other ability. If that is it, it's the icon at the bottom-center of the radial menu. Happened to me once, too.

LCfiner

So I picked the game up yesterday and played for about 10 hours (yikes!). I’m now at the last battle with the Blight and I’ll get my butt kicked a few times and have to restart battle here and here - and this is on casual. damn. 360 version.

still, I know I can make it through this afternoon. I definitely want to play through all the other origin stories and maybe I’ll do another complete game run-through on the Mac version where I can use tactical view to get a better feel for the combat.

It’s a testament to the game’s greatness that I leave it alone for a couple weeks and when I pick it up again I get so sucked in that I spend an entire day doing nothing but killing darkspawn. these games are so damn dangerous for me. :lol I always have to wait till I have a vacation break like now before I jump into the deep end with them (Oh god, Mass Effect 2 will destroy me)

Concept17

WilyRook said:
That sounds like the quick-heal icon, which can be assigned like any other ability. If that is it, it's the icon at the bottom-center of the radial menu. Happened to me once, too.

Ahhh cool thanks.

EDIT: Is a full play-through done by doing all the origin stories, or just one? And are you guys completing the 50-70hrs with just one character, or is that all of them?

LCfiner

Concept17 said:
Ahhh cool thanks.

EDIT: Is a full play-through done by doing all the origin stories, or just one? And are you guys completing the 50-70hrs with just one character, or is that all of them?

just one.

each origin is a couple hours. each game is around 40 to 70.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
LCfiner said:
just one.

each origin is a couple hours. each game is around 40 to 70.

Depends really, I've barely done any questing aside from hunting down all of my character's possible specializations (future playthroughs hurray will be nicer for it)

My file is sitting at about 15 hours because of it (though 2 characters got deleted because I didn't like their builds)

You can make it a really long game but my next attempt is going to see how fast I can rip through the game.

As for your comment on playing it on Casual, I got tired of the timesink and turned it to casual... for about 15 minutes. With my tactic setup the game became TOO easy on Casual so I quickly turned it back up. The game is too little of a challenge on that difficulty, it started being boring (which is ironic because Fallout 3 I played on Easy because that game I hated redoing shit because of a death)

Try upping the difficulty, create good tactics (turning Alistair into a tank and having his tactic set to heal himself once his health is low and giving Morrigan healing abilities has made it almost too easy on Normal) and enjoy it that way if you can because Casual really drains the fun out of the game.

I can see myself replaying the game on Normal, that is how much I enjoy it. A very VERY well balanced difficulty.

Okay, I'm probably going to be laughed at here but I just started playing the game, I'm at the Kocari Wilds (getting the darkspawn blood vials) and every encounter with the darkspawn wipes out my whole team WTF?! I'm playing on normal difficulty and cannot even win a fucking battle! I have played through Icewind Dale and BG1 in my younger days and this shit never happened to me then.

Rufus

PumpkinPie said:
Okay, I'm probably going to be laughed at here but I just started playing the game, I'm at the Kocari Wilds (getting the darkspawn blood vials) and every encounter with the darkspawn wipes out my whole team WTF?! I'm playing on normal difficulty and cannot even win a fucking battle! I have played through Icewind Dale and BG1 in my younger days and this shit never happened to me then.
What class do you play as? Do you have potions on you and your front line warriors' tactics set to use one when their health is low?

Rufus said:
What class do you play as? Do you have potions on you and your front line warriors' tactics set to use one when their health is low?

I'm a warrior and have potions but I have no clue about the tactics, my characters just do what the hell the like at the moment, the tactics part isn't explained very well IMO and all I've got is something like =>enemy health 75%...I have no clue what that even means.

Is it also possible to change formation? My characters keep getting stuck on each other and then they just stand there :(

Rufus

There are no formations in this game. If you want a character to move to a specific location you have to take control of him and do it yourself. The only other global command you have is Hold which makes them stand still and wait, ready for you to micromanage their every move (or just 'park' them for an ambush or whatever). Instead you can flank enemies and backstab, if you attack them from the side or the back. Both do more damage. Naturally, the same applies to your characters when they are attacked, but you shouldn't have to worry about that too much at this point.

Understanding tactics shouldn't be too much of a problem. You set the conditions on the left side and the actions to be executed when the conditions are met on the right side. The order of the slots determines the priority, i.e. what will be executed first, etc.
The operators >= x% and < x% mean, get ready to feel like an idiot, bigger than or equal and smaller than x%. So go into, say Alistair's tactics and set the following Self: Health < 50% -> Use health poultice: least powerful, he should have a free slot too, so you can leave the other tactics alone.

Since I don't know what the exact issue is I can't really give you any more concrete advice. (Are the wolves at the beginning obliterating you too, or what? I find that hard to believe, to be honest. Sure you're playing on normal?)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I got this game for xmas (360) an i fucking love it so far. I'm a little way in, I've just done a few rungs on the quest ladder. I unlocked Shale last, he's totally amazing, so funny. At the end of his cut scene when he
stamped on the chicken
I pissed myself laughing, it was messed up. I really loved the characterization of your party as well, the unique dialogues they can have in missions are stunning as well if you consider all the possible cast permutations. Sometimes it seems so perfect using the party I have, it's so very pleasing.

Still get hammered occasionally in some battles but I'm getting the hang of it now a bit more, just have to remember to keep using new talents in the tactics and to hammer with my magic attacks. I can't wait to unlock Arcane Warrior though, that's my usual playstyle in these kinds of games.

legend166

So I've hit some sort of glitch.

I'm doing the last part of the 'Crime Wave' sidequests. Where you go into that dudes estate and it turns out it was just a trap. I fought my way out no problem, but now there's literally no way to get out of the place. There is a marker on the map for 'City Map' but it doesn't work. When I go there nothing happens and there's nothing to press to bring it up. And there is seemingly no other way to get out of the place. Any ideas?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Sorry for the noob Q - just statrted playing last night. Can you respec? I put some rogue points into hand to hand but have since decided I wanted him to be an archer instead.

kaizoku

I love the banter as well.

What are some of the best character combinations for fun banter?

So far I've stuck with Alistair and Morrigan who have plenty to say to each other, will be my first choices throughout my first play through unless I think I'm about to do something they'll disapprove of. Seem to hate each other but enjoy having a go at each other.

What combinations do I not want to miss out on in my next play throughs?

legend166 said:
So I've hit some sort of glitch.

I'm doing the last part of the 'Crime Wave' sidequests. Where you go into that dudes estate and it turns out it was just a trap. I fought my way out no problem, but now there's literally no way to get out of the place. There is a marker on the map for 'City Map' but it doesn't work. When I go there nothing happens and there's nothing to press to bring it up. And there is seemingly no other way to get out of the place. Any ideas?
Click on the trap door on the floor.

Xevren

Honestly pretty much any combination is entertaining, Wynne is really the only person that brings it down but some people are funny with her. Ohgren, Alistair, and Zevran have some funny moments with her.

bengraven

PumpkinPie said:

Am I the only one who thinks of this:

KokiriVillage.png

Whenever I think of the Korcari Wilds in the game?

Rufus said:
There are no formations in this game. If you want a character to move to a specific location you have to take control of him and do it yourself. The only other global command you have is Hold which makes them stand still and wait, ready for you to micromanage their every move (or just 'park' them for an ambush or whatever). Instead you can flank enemies and backstab, if you attack them from the side or the back. Both do more damage. Naturally, the same applies to your characters when they are attacked, but you shouldn't have to worry about that too much at this point.

Understanding tactics shouldn't be too much of a problem. You set the conditions on the left side and the actions to be executed when the conditions are met on the right side. The order of the slots determines the priority, i.e. what will be executed first, etc.
The operators >= x% and < x% mean, get ready to feel like an idiot, bigger than or equal and smaller than x%. So go into, say Alistair's tactics and set the following Self: Health < 50% -> Use health poultice: least powerful, he should have a free slot too, so you can leave the other tactics alone.

Since I don't know what the exact issue is I can't really give you any more concrete advice. (Are the wolves at the beginning obliterating you too, or what? I find that hard to believe, to be honest. Sure you're playing on normal?)

:D thanks. The wolves aren't killing me, just I keep running into groups of like 10 darkspawn and get killed within seconds, the archers are the worst as they can kill me before I can see them on-screen. For some reason my main character is a total pussy and he is always the first to fall, thank god I didn't choose a weaker starting class. Definitely playing on normal, I may switch to casual soon though.

I think I'm too used to BG, this game is a bit more complicated.

ksan

GDJustin said:
Sorry for the noob Q - just statrted playing last night. Can you respec? I put some rogue points into hand to hand but have since decided I wanted him to be an archer instead.
Only if you download a respec mod, otherwise no.
If you're on a console version you might be out of luck. Or is there mod support for those versions as well?

Rufus

PumpkinPie said:
For some reason my main character is a total pussy and he is always the first to fall, thank god I didn't choose a weaker starting class.
Hm, interesting. Mind linking to his profile page?

ksan said:
Or is there mod support for those versions as well?
oay87s.gif

Raxus

Rufus said:
Hm, interesting. Mind linking to his profile page?
I am with him. I started with a rouge. Initially I regretted it but once I started developing my characters and started to be less stingy with my items the game really opened up for me. This is on nightmare difficulty by the way.

kai3345

Banned
So this is frustrating me beyond belief.

I'm in the last room of the basement of that one house for the Shale quest, and I'll stealth as Zervan and then Zerv and Sten attack that first group of three darkspawn. But then out of nowhere, Dog and Hero both run to attack the farthest away enemy, aggroing the ENTIRE room on them, causing them to die in about 2 seconds.

I've tried messing with the tactics but nothing im doing seems to work.

Is there any way to stop this? I'm on about my 10th try and it's really making me mad.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
kai3345 said:
So this is frustrating me beyond belief.

I'm in the last room of the basement of that one house for the Shale quest, and I'll stealth as Zervan and then Zerv and Sten attack that first group of three darkspawn. But then out of nowhere, Dog and Hero both run to attack the farthest away enemy, aggroing the ENTIRE room on them, causing them to die in about 2 seconds.

I've tried messing with the tactics but nothing im doing seems to work.

Is there any way to stop this? I'm on about my 10th try and it's really making me mad.

Why don't you put the party on hold by the barrels, run up with Sten (or whoever is tanking), and aggro only the first group?

Also, you can place alot of traps in that tiny area and kill most of them.

Samara

I was having a good time with the game but, this it: Im in Golem form and it wont smash the doors open. Yes, I did Hurl or whatever: nothing happens. The "flower" is white only when it's on me and not on the door. im on XBOX 360 so I dont know if this is a common problem. In the tower of elves or something like that. I tried looking on the internet...I have to start over ?!?!? :lol

Shit!

This game gets deeper by the hour, I had no idea that getting to know a certain party character would open up a quest line related to this characters backstory.

I wonder how many of the party characters have this level of depth and integration with the game.

kai3345

Banned
Pankaks said:
Why don't you put the party on hold by the barrels, run up with Sten (or whoever is tanking), and aggro only the first group?

Also, you can place alot of traps in that tiny area and kill most of them.
I set the difficulty to casual. They still Aggroed but there were considerably less enemies so I could deal with them much easier.

And how does this party loadout sound?

Hero (Elf Warrior with all his points in Warrior and Sword and Shield)- Tank
Sten (Points in Warrior and 2 handed) - DPS
Alistar ( Dual Wield) or Zervan - DPS
Morrigan - Mainly used for crowd control and DPS

I only brought the dog on the Shale Quest for a change to my normal lineup I had been using for the past 10 hours.

koji

kai3345 said:
I set the difficulty to casual. They still Aggroed but there were considerably less enemies so I could deal with them much easier.

I only brought the dog on the Shale Quest for a change to my normal lineup I had been using for the past 10 hours.

That partysetup sounds like trouble tbh certainly on hard. You're lacking CC/healing. It could work if you're high enough level though. You also "lost" some skillpoints on Allistair if you turned him into a dualwielder.

Get Sleep/Waking Nightmare on Morrigan if you can. In case you're playing on PC I'ld advise a respec on Allistair, or you turn him into a real dualwielder or a sword and board tank. I think at this point you might even be better of taking Dog with you instead of Allistair. If you're taking Zevran along with you he'll need some serious micromanaging, always try to get him behind the mobs for optimal backstabbing damage.

My advise for partysetups is: a Sword and Board tank, Rogue (Dagger, or you'ld have to have a high lvl archer or the Archery mod), Healing mage (Wynne with some CC, glyphs or something) and CC mage (Morrigan with Sleep/Waking Nightmare and some single target CC like crushing prison etc)

kaizoku

sweetwasabi said:
I was having a good time with the game but, this it: Im in Golem form and it wont smash the doors open. Yes, I did Hurl or whatever: nothing happens. The "flower" is white only when it's on me and not on the door. im on XBOX 360 so I dont know if this is a common problem. In the tower of elves or something like that. I tried looking on the internet...I have to start over ?!?!? :lol

Shit!

in the fade to open doors with the golem I just pressed A and it did the hurl by itself. you gotta stand the right distance, not too close. dunno if thats the case for where you are....

kaizoku

kai3345 said:

I'm no expert by any means but I breezed through on casual without any effort. Used default tactics and could get by just with pressing A on my main character. Never needed to worry about healing or crowd control. (although now that I've gotten to Denerim my characters have started to die now and then...)

I did take some time out to read about the various skills and abilities though. This guide was really useful in that regard.

The tactics system is definitely weird and not explained properly at all. I'm still a little unclear with a lot of it. Like does the character I'm controlling just ignore tactics then? How do I make it so that combat is automated so I just watch and step in when needed? How do I make a rogue go behind the enemy for backstabs? Do I have to take manual control? Is that really the only way?

I found its easiest to just stick to the defaults. It provides set ups for archer, scrapper, defender etc and seems clever enough to set up rules for your best moves as you unlock them.

My go to set up:

Main: Elf Archer - all points to DEX and Cunning to 25. STR to 24. Learn bow skills.
Morrigan - Magic and Willpower, unlock combat tactics and crushing prison asap then ice spells.
Alistair - sword and shield defensive tank, points bias to STR and constitution. learn shield skills and threaten/taunt to attract enemies.

3rd I rotate. Sometimes a rogue to try and get some backstabs in or sometimes Sten/Shale as heavy hitters. Might swap Morrigan out for Leilani as a 2nd archer with bard skills, works ok. If I had to only choose one, probably Sten to give Alistair some backup.

kai3345 said:

Tank Hero, Zevran, Wynne and Morrigan seems best for you. Too many warriors isn't a good thing, and 2h weapons suck.

Ricker

It`s a ROGUE guys,not a rouge hehe....rouge means red in french,i hear this Rouge all the time and it drives me nuts ;) :lol

Someone mentionned a well balanced game...this is not true and one of my only gripe with this game,some area`s you are just cruising around and all of a sudden you get a fight that destroys you in second...on the consoles anyway,with the controls,if you have to get tactical,it`s really annoying to do and it is not explained well at all.

kaizoku said:
It wasn't necessarily hard, but it was definitely a chore, and it forced me to play carefully cos lets face it an archer surrounded by golems and mages, burning man or not is going to be in trouble. I had plan my move for each room. Normally I just rush in and let my characters use the default tactics and I'll spam moves in the background. Plus its so long. How long would it take to run through given you know exactly what to do in the fastest order? Few hours?
What? It's really short... And if you go clockwise it's linear as fuck. Also it's not so much class dependent as ordering dependent. I went there 2nd to last, before Orz but after everything else in the game. It was almost a joke as an archer. The killing shot and aoe stun... sogood.gif.

I suppose I didn't mind whatever semi-challenge there was either because I had been playing the pause-every-2-seconds game since like five hours in. I can see how if you aren't used to that it can be frustrating. But like... That's the entire game.

kaizoku

Son of Godzilla said:
What? It's really short... And if you go clockwise it's linear as fuck. Also it's not so much class dependent as ordering dependent. I went there 2nd to last, before Orz but after everything else in the game. It was almost a joke as an archer. The killing shot and aoe stun... sogood.gif.

I suppose I didn't mind whatever semi-challenge there was either because I had been playing the pause-every-2-seconds game since like five hours in. I can see how if you aren't used to that it can be frustrating. But like... That's the entire game.

I wouldn't say it was linear as fuck....its the least linear part of the game I've played. Going to one area, get spirit form, opens up areas in other areas, backtrack, get all the stat boosts, repeatedly change form to travel or fight. It wasn't too bad but I play this game in a fairly relaxed state and this part of the game is the only bit so far which forces you to be very hands on.

The rest of the game seems like it'd be fairly straightforward to play through again, just rushing through everything. but in the fade, even if you were obliterating everything with ease, just navigating and keeping track of maps and areas you've been to etc is abit of a pain.

Not that I hate it as much as others. But I've loved every part of the game so far and I disliked the fade.

Top Bottom