• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Doytch

CoolTrick said:
One more question:

I'm a veteran to the BG games, Planescape games, Morrowind, etc. I typically played those on Normal.

Should I go for playing on Hard difficulty? (Or whatever the equivalent is, a step above normal?)

I want a challenge, but am not sure how difficult the Normal level is.

Also if someone could answer my question about whether or not there are any quintessential mods to recommend for a first time playthrough. Thanks!
Start on Hard. You might even end up going to Nightmare eventually.

Here's my mod list. I'd recommend them all excepting the items mods since they can unbalance the game. Nightmare Plus is another that could wait for later experimentation, but I feel it fixes a lot of niggling AI issues with the base game (being able to pull a single mob from a group with an arrow) and introduces some nice concepts like Lyrium (mana pot) addiction. The Open Lock spells are also up to you - some people think they imbalance the game since you don't need a Rogue anymore, but there's no Knock spell in the game which I think is an oversight. Again, up to you.

Stuff that is absolutely essential though: Dex hotfix if you want to use an archer (the mechanics are still borked in the retail release), the respec mod, and the camp storage mod.

Jijidasu

Before I jump in on this what's the verdict on the game running on a Macbook Pro?

I've read some mixed reviews, some are stating the game is suffering due to not being properly optimised, though, I wouldn't really know.

I'm running a higher end MBP with 2.8 core 2 duo, 4gb ram and the 9400M/9600M gt 512 combo, if it's of any use.

mjc said:
Oh shit, I didn't notice that they released a Mac version of this game. Has anyone here downloaded it yet? I'm about to get it from D2D because the 360 version is frustrating me. I'm hoping that its a good port/version similar to the PC one...

Damn, nice catch! I love the 360 version but isometric view makes me moist, so if this shit would run on my Macbook Pro, I'd cry tears of joy.

Do you have any impressions if you did go through with the download?

Sielys

Oh god, I love Oghren idle chat :lol

(At magi tower) Ooh that's huge *giggles* I wonder how long it took to erect it. *giggles* Get it, erect it!

I can't decide who's funnier, him or Shale.

LCfiner

Saren is Bad said:
Damn, nice catch! I love the 360 version but isometric view makes me moist, so if this shit would run on my Macbook Pro, I'd cry tears of joy.

Do you have any impressions if you did go through with the download?

I posted earlier in this thread with impressions as I downloaded the Mac version.

I have a 13” Macbook Pro with the 9400M gfx and the 2.53 C2D. 4 GB ram

Runs at around 25 fps (def less than 30) with textures and gfx effects at high/mid and 1280 x 800 resolution (frame buffer effects off or else it crawls). if you have a 9600M 15" Macbook Pro then you’ll be A-OK. otherwise, it’ll be choppier than the 360 version but you get better textures and the very real bonus of the overhead tactical view, which should be worth it.

Rufus

Sielys said:
Zevran an Wynne have some very funny exchanges too. Leliana has a good one with Sten, as well. ("You're a big, big softie!" The way she says softie is the cherry on the top.)

I'm about to start my first game. How hard is "hard" mode? Is it better to stick with normal first and play on hard on a replay? I typically select the mode above normal in games but just wanted to check to see how difficult the game actually is before I start. I don't want to be completely frustrated.

Ventrue

MisterAnderson said:
I'm about to start my first game. How hard is "hard" mode? Is it better to stick with normal first and play on hard on a replay? I typically select the mode above normal in games but just wanted to check to see how difficult the game actually is before I start. I don't want to be completely frustrated.
You can always change it in game.

It really depends on your party and your class. If you play a mage, I'd go for hard definitely.

Dennis

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
I am playing on Normal and finding some sections/boss fights plenty hard. I am on the PC vesion 1.0 though, supposedly the patches made it easier.

It is a pretty hard game - old school WRPG hard :lol

Wallach

MisterAnderson said:

Depends on a few factors; your familiarity with this style of game, your class selection, the general order you do quest lines in.

It's not King's Field or anything but it's a notch above most "big" RPG releases this generation.

GCQuinton

ntropy said:
the part that made me laugh was the Harrowment crier in orzammar: "Lord Bhelen is a bad, bad man."

One of my favorites from that crier was (spoiler):

"Lord Bhelen assaults the assembly and is unmaginimously slain. Epic fail!"

What skills are best for a starting mage? The game defaults me with herbalism and combat tactics. I'm guessing herbalism is great since you can make potions, is combat tactics necessary? I'm thinking about picking up coercion.

Wallach

MisterAnderson said:
What skills are best for a starting mage? The game defaults me with herbalism and combat tactics. I'm guessing herbalism is great since you can make potions, is combat tactics necessary? I'm thinking about picking up coercion.

Coercion is useful since only your main character can take it, and it opens up different dialogue choices (and thus some alternative quest directions). Combat tactics gives you more AI tactics slots, and is directly related to how much damage you can take in a hit before the spell you are currently casting is completely interrupted. I haven't played Mage yet so I don't know how effective it is for that purpose but I imagine you want some interrupt protection (though it isn't going to stop a CC spell or ability from interrupting you).

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I put this game on hold while I play through FF13 but man I'm fiending for some strategic RPG combat. As much as I wish I had it on the PC, playing Dragon Age on the PS3 is still tons of fun. Can't wait to come back to it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone help me out?

I just decided to go back to Dragon Age after about a month and for some reason all of my DLC has disappeared. I log into my account as normal and when I try to load my game I get a message telling me that I am missing all of the DLC. When I click on the downloadable content section nothing appears in the Available Content, Download Progress or Installed Content tabs.

Do I have to find some shady torrent or something to manually get my content back? I haven't really done anything with my system since I last played except switch out my video card. Any ideas?

Rufus

Zefah said:
Can anyone help me out?

I just decided to go back to Dragon Age after about a month and for some reason all of my DLC has disappeared. I log into my account as normal and when I try to load my game I get a message telling me that I am missing all of the DLC. When I click on the downloadable content section nothing appears in the Available Content, Download Progress or Installed Content tabs.

Do I have to find some shady torrent or something to manually get my content back? I haven't really done anything with my system since I last played except switch out my video card. Any ideas?
Tried the official forums yet? They have a big thread just for DLC issues: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/81613

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
GCQuinton said:
One of my favorites from that crier was (spoiler):

"Lord Bhelen assaults the assembly and is unmaginimously slain. Epic fail!"

This really caught me off guard :lol.

In fact, there are lots of little references throughout the game.

legend166

I finally beat the game, after 40 hours.

My ending:

Romanced Morrigan throughout and she loved me by the end. I made that demon baby with her so I survived killing the dragon. Anora ruled by herself because I chose to saved Loghain which pissed off Alistair and he nicked off. I had Leliana interested in me by the end too, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Sorta wish I went with her now since Morrigan was a bitch.

tokkun

DennisK4 said:
I am playing on Normal and finding some sections/boss fights plenty hard. I am on the PC vesion 1.0 though, supposedly the patches made it easier.

It is a pretty hard game - old school WRPG hard :lol

Yeah, I'm playing on PC 1.0 Normal too, and my party gets wiped pretty regularly. The game is particularly difficult in the very beginning since you rely a lot on spell/skill combos in combat.

In some situations this game kind of reminds me of playing Fear Effect or Space Quest, where you only progress through death trial and error. There are plenty of "Surprise, you're fucked!" situations in DA, like when examining some item in the field causes an orange Revenant to spawn or the first time you walk into some of the ridiculous trap + monster closet ambushes they set up.

bengraven said:
My settings are basically max'ed out and my version doesn't look that nice.

Looks as if he took a 2560x1600 screenshot and reduced the resolution in photoshop. That tends to make games appear better than they do in real life.

I really hate this game sometimes. I can't believe I can spend hours playing the game and lose all my progress when I die. Why even bother having a fucking auto save system when it just saves at fucking stupid seemingly random times. It should auto save in every fucking area. Yet you have it autosaving in the middle of areas and in fucking battles. People need to be fired for this.

NewLib

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
I really hate this game sometimes. I can't believe I can spend hours playing the game and lose all my progress when I die. Why even bother having a fucking auto save system when it just saves at fucking stupid seemingly random times. It should auto save in every fucking area. Yet you have it autosaving in the middle of areas and in fucking battles. People need to be fired for this.

You know you can manually save after every battle like a smart person would.

Minsc

Gold Member
Here's another 3rd person / isometric comparison I enjoyed:

DAOrigins 2010-01-02 00-31-38-35.jpg

DAOrigins 2010-01-02 00-31-55-10.jpg

Those Blood Mages sure keep a clean great hall.

Ptaaty

After thinking I had started losing interest in gaming, two games came in and sucked me in like nothing else...Demon's Souls and now DA.

Damn, I love DA. Someone has finally done it...made a game that delivers on the promise to really change the outcome, story lines, play, dialog, etc, in real meaningful ways, while maintaining a very solid core game experience with compelling story arcs.

Awesome! Also I love mages and my spam AOE effects. I have been pounding grease-fires and lightning/ice storms.

Sielys said:
Oh god, I love Oghren idle chat :lol

(At magi tower) Ooh that's huge *giggles* I wonder how long it took to erect it. *giggles* Get it, erect it!

Wynne and Alistair's discourse involving a certain someone's misplaced sock had me laughing for a good while.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Sten: Where is the cake? I was told there was cake. The cake is a lie. :lol

Brilliant. Also saw some references to Mass Effect as well.

gobassgo

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
Any tips for romancing Morrigan? I really like her character more than Lelina but she can really be a cold bitch sometimes.

Give her lots of jewelry as gifts. She absolutely loves jewelry.

GillianSeed79 said:
Any tips for romancing Morrigan? I really like her character more than Lelina but she can really be a cold bitch sometimes.
If you're playing a goody-two-shoes character with Morrigan in your party you're going to get a lot of negative rep with her during the normal course of gameplay so you have to talk to her all the time at camp and give her the proper gift items. She's also very straight to the point and crass... don't act all lovey-dovey with her. I slept with her already but I'm only at +75 or so so far.

I'm having more of a problem with Alistair, not to sleep with him but just to get him to like me enough to gain his bonuses. I'm going through dialogue with him, everything's going fine and then he'll start whining or crying. I try to comfort him but it usually makes him sadder and he just ends the conversation with nothing but a +1 or +2 from him. You have to almost make fun of him and play into his sense of humor to get him to respond positively. Plus, other than a single plot related gift I haven't found much to give him that he doesn't shrug off with minimal positive rep gain.

Jeez, sounds like I'm talking about a dating sim here :lol

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Alright, I am nearing the end of the game (going to push for the end tonight) and I have to say that I have figured out what makes Dragon Age the best of what it can be, and why I look forward to the sequel.

#1 You don't have to be GOOD or EVIL, you can actually be neutral (which is how I have gone through the game. I destroyed the sacred ashes but I also destroyed the anvil, etc.

#2 If/when they do a sequel I hope for 2 things, You do it with a NEW character BUT your choices completely change the world. It would be absolutely mindblowing for me, after a neutral playthrough, to see what the world would be like after it has been changed this much.

#3 While I can completely see myself doing another playthrough it will be a few months between each. I kind of went achievement whore on this run though (I did all 3 possible 'relationships' in 1 playthrough, etc.)

I have Mass Effect and Fable 2 to play in terms of "western" RPGs but those are very good/evil based and now I can not wait for a sequel to Dragon Age where neutral is an option again. I am hoping, incredibly so, that neutral is an option in Alpha Protocol (the only "western" RPG I am as hyped for as I was Dragon Age, Mass Effect and Fable 2 only got picked up because they were on the cheap)

I think being neutral is the greatest thing to do in an RPG, so now I have to ask... are there any other good console "western" RPGs where you can be neutral? I always play the good type... can't bring myself to do the evil type :/ but I would like more play with neutral because it is a lot of fun!

Edit:

Ventrue said:
You can always change it in game.

It really depends on your party and your class. If you play a mage, I'd go for hard definitely.

I would agree to this, mages are incredibly powerful especially as your main character. I went blood mage /spirit healer (only for the bonus attributes) and my character is ridiculously overpowered. Equip gear that lowers hostility and you sit in the back destroying enemies (Mana gets low and you switch to blood magic, health gets low switch off blood magic, heal up, and go nuts!)

I can't imagine another character type being this awesomely overpowered.

MisterAnderson said:

I maxed my herbalism and my coercion, now I am taking anything random because my party has anything else I need maxed out.

Your talents are a lot more important, just because you want the 1st or the 2nd in a path don't waste them on getting all 4, especially with mages where some of the best abilities in the paths are the first and second!

rush777

Games been such a great suprise for me so far, just bunked with morrigan after finishing the deep roads. Personally I'm enjoying Dragon Age a lot more than Mass Effect.

Dennis

Banned
rush777 said:
Games been such a great suprise for me so far, just bunked with morrigan after finishing the deep roads. Personally I'm enjoying Dragon Age a lot more than Mass Effect.
Hmm...Dragon Age vs. Mass Effect....nope can't decide - they are both incredible RPGs . Together with the underrated Risen (play it, love it) they are the best RPGs to come out in recent years.
I guess I just love Bioware RPGs. One month to Mass Effect 2 !

Edit: Blood Mages seem a little imba to be honest.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Endgame spoilers question

Has anyone managed to max out Loghain's approval? I saved up a couple of gifts but only managed to get the moderate bonus. Does max approval even open up additional dialogue options? I still want to know his motivation for Ostagar.

DennisK4 said:
Hmm...Dragon Age vs. Mass Effect....nope can't decide - they are both incredible RPGs . Together with the underrated Risen (play it, love it) they are the best RPGs to come out in recent years.
I guess I just love Bioware RPGs. One month to Mass Effect 2 !

Edit: Blood Mages seem a little imba to be honest.

I personally couldn't decide between the two if I had to.

Mages in general are extremely overpowered with the right combination of spells.

(AOE Lighting+Fire+Blizzard+Oil Slick, makes for a hilarious sight :D)

Pankaks said:
Endgame spoilers question

Has anyone managed to max out Loghain's approval? I saved up a couple of gifts but only managed to get the moderate bonus. Does max approval even open up additional dialogue options? I still want to know his motivation for Ostagar.

I personally couldn't decide between the two if I had to.

Mages in general are extremely overpowered with the right combination of spells.

(AOE Lighting+Fire+Blizzard+Oil Slick, makes for a hilarious sight :D)
Loghain thought that Cailan was a bad king due to his glorification of war, and wasn't sure if Cailan would be able to protect the country from the Blight. So he let him die to make sure the Blight would be stopped. He didn't think he would get any resistance because as far as he knew everyone at Ostagar died, as should Arl Eamon.

Pancakes

darkpaladinmfc said:
Loghain thought that Cailan was a bad king due to his glorification of war, and wasn't sure if Cailan would be able to protect the country from the Blight. So he let him die to make sure the Blight would be stopped. He didn't think he would get any resistance because as far as he knew everyone at Ostagar died, as should Arl Eamon.

Hrm, I suppose that makes sense.

Thanks.

Dennis

Banned
The scenario leading up to (and the event itself) getting the Blood Mage specialization is the coolest thing in the game so far for me.
I won't spoil it, but I like that it feels like a tough choice to make. I really would have liked if there were stong consequences in the story to the player choice here. Seems somewhat of a wasted opportunity for some truly great Choices & Consequences (TM) gameplay however - maybe too hard to implement.

Rufus

DennisK4 said:
The scenario leading up to (and the event itself) getting the Blood Mage specialization is the coolest thing in the game so far for me.
I won't spoil it, but I like that it feels like a tough choice to make. I really would have liked if there were stong consequences in the story to the player choice here. Seems somewhat of a wasted opportunity for some truly great Choices & Consequences (TM) gameplay however - maybe too hard to implement.
Some of your companions will have very intense reactions depending on what you do, though, so that's something at least.
Also, if you make the deal with the demon, at the very end Arl Eamon will supposedly comment on Connor being a little weird or something like that.

Ricker

I have restarted a key save a few times now,trying to finish this game,I have very few Health potions left,Wynn still runs out of mana way too fast if I don`t control her and there`s a part I can`t even beat on easy yet(last time it bugged out on me,with endless respawns,even after killing one of the General)...from what I hear about the end Boss,looks like i`ll never finish this game.I think i`ll skip the Flemeth part now(how come I beat that part on normal,and I can`t beat some of those last fights on easy is beyond me)so i`ll have more potions for the Archdemon fight.

roxya

DennisK4 said:
Hmm...Dragon Age vs. Mass Effect....nope can't decide - they are both incredible RPGs

I thought I really liked Mass Effect, but Dragon Age is far better for me. Mostly because it doesn't play like a shooter, but also because fantasy is a better setting.

Nemesis_

roxya said:
I thought I really liked Mass Effect, but Dragon Age is far better for me. Mostly because it doesn't play like a shooter, but also because fantasy is a better setting.

I love Mass Effect much more because I feel it has a much better developed story and underlying world. But yeah, Dragon Age is definitely up there as one of my favouritest RPGs ever. :D

Though playing through Mass Effect now I wonder if these two games exist within the same universe. A lot of religious fanatics in Mass Effect praise the "Maker" and "her blessing" too.

Sielys

I haven't really found this game hard on hard yet. Most of the boss fights are just tank n' spank. I've recruited the dalish elves, beat the optional high dragon and even
killed flemeth

I'm not sure if many people will like the comparison, but a lot of the game I find comparable to 5-man dungeons in WoW, and I've just been using the general tank n' spank strategy. Get Alistair to face targets away from DPS/Healers, use defense modes, taunt, anti-knockdown, and just gain a load of threat, while I have Wynne as a spirit healer set to healing only, Lellina as a assassin/duelist(respec mod), set to stealth when she gains aggro, and myself an arcane warrior/blood mage. Since my Warden is existentially a tank, I've been leaving Alistair behind for Morrigan, who I've made a blood mage/spirit healer, specced heavily into entropy for debuffs and she works nicely as a healing/damaging hybrid.

My Arcane warrior build is a little unorthodox, I put in just enough magic to wear warden commanders armor, and pump willpower and dexterity. I cast spells as much as I auto-attack, even though arcane warriors are supposed to be auto-attack machines, and keep threat up with blood magic and, since Wynne is on constant healing, I make a heap load o' threat. I also keep up all the sustainables I can, so he's nigh impossible to damage, which is why he has low CON.

Anyhoo, every time I start a battle, since I have 3 mages, I can throw up 3 force fields and crushing prisons, disabling up to 6 people if necessary, while concentrating one the enemies one at a time. (Crushing prison and force field are staple CC in all my mage builds)

I just started nightmare, and this setup is proving to be equally effective. Having the multiple CC abilities helps as generally 1 to 3 of the enemies resist the first effect.

Walshicus

roxya said:
Exact opposite for me!

Macmanus

Nemesis556 said:
I love Mass Effect much more because I feel it has a much better developed story and underlying world.

I feel the same.

While the combat in DA:O is a thousand leagues beyond what ME gave us, I enjoyed every other component of ME significantly more. I think it just boils down to personal taste. Typically I enjoy sci-fi more, and the politicking in ME really grabbed me.

Not to take anything away from Dragon Age being a fantastic game. I just don't really care about anyone or any thing in the game what-so-ever. The darkspawn can over run Ferelden, and I don't really think I would bat an eye.

Top Bottom