• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Hyunkel6 said:
I just finished recruiting all the allies and am about to call landsmeet. I'm assuming I did around 2/3 of the game? How many hours until the end? I want to know if I should pick up the pace since school is starting soon. :(

Very very close. I'd say about 7-10 hours away.

More Ferelden. :(

The most maddening thing for me after playing through Dragon Age twice was seeing the rest of the game map and, having read the codex entries, realizing how much more interesting the other areas of the game world looked. It's the fantasy equivalent of looking over Pairs or Madrid for your urban thriller show, and instead deciding that it would be more interesting if the characters instead lived in Des Moines, Iowa.

Footos22

Whoa, so much for being in the friend zone with leilana. I found her a flower by the windmill in redcliffe. That bumped her score up. Told me to dump Morrigan which i did after i gave her a quick bang
Got a kiss from leilana
Gave zervan some antivan boots. which prompted him to bugger the shit out of my warrior then went straight back over to leilana who went straight in the sack no questions asked.

My warden is a dirty bisexual man whore.

the shame

lsslave

Jew Gamer
De4th Strike said:
Whoa, so much for being in the friend zone with leilana. I found her a flower by the windmill in redcliffe. That bumped her score up. Told me to dump Morrigan which i did after i gave her a quick bang
Got a kiss from leilana
Gave zervan some antivan boots. which prompted him to bugger the shit out of my warrior then went straight back over to leilana who went straight in the sack no questions asked.

the shame

I had all 3 going for a while until Leliana made me dump Morrigan, never cared about Zevran but by that point I just dropped him anyhow.

Takuhi

rainking187 said:

Whoa, good find!

Five all new party members? Start over as a Gray Warden from Orlais? This sounds more significant than just 15 hours of new quests.

And I guess all the VO work needed for the new characters at least sort of justifies it being on a disc. Hmmm... Yeah. Just what I need, a new game to buy in March!

Fredescu

Gamestop said:
* A Stunning World Expanded: BioWare’s deepest universe to date just got bigger with an all new area of the world to explore, Amaranthine
o Unlock the secrets of the Darkspawn and their true motivations
o Rebuild the Grey Warden order and establish their base of operations at Vigil’s Keep
* All-new Complex Moral Choices: Embark on an epic story that is completely defined and reactive to your play style
o Shape your entire experience based on the choices you make and how your handle complex situations
* New Ways to Customize your Hero: Experience additional spells, abilities, specializations, and items to further personalize and customize your hero and party
o Import your character from Dragon Age: Origins or start anew as a Grey Warden from the neighboring land of Orlais
o Encounter five all-new party members and an old favorite from Dragon Age: Origins
* Even more Bone-Crushing, Visceral Combat: Battle against a new range of horrific and terrifying creatures
o Put your skills to the test against an evolved, intelligent breed of Darkspawn and other menacing creatures including the Inferno Golem and Spectral Dragon!
Wow, and so soon. Blown away.

Footos22

Disgraceful!

I'll have to say i've never been so engrossed in a game since i played final fantasy 12 properly for the first time about 6 months ago and i usually hate western rpgs apart from oblivion and that was a little bit of a chore.

Haven't played fallout 3 yet. Though i seen the game of the year addition for £25 at the weekend but would just get backlogged.

I Still have an unopened Brutal legend....darksiders and bayonetta are coming Friday and then white knight chronicles next month followed by final fantasy 13 and god of war 3 Then a month after will be a dad so wont have time for anything too lengthy i expect.
ill probably be burnt out after all them anyway.

Anyway back on topic. I did the mages tower first and killed wynne. then continued to get the urn which i now have.

I take it its easier to kill the dragon outside later on? As he pretty much f**ked my whole team in less than a minute. I thought this game was easy until i rang that gong. :lol
Then again i have only got 2 health potions left. where can you buy unlimited amounts of elfroot? I have loads of flasks but no elfroot left.

Fredescu

De4th Strike said:
Then again i have only got 2 health potions left. where can you buy unlimited amounts of that?
You can buy unlimited elfroot to make health potions at the forest camp, and unlimited lyrium dust to make mana potions at the mage tower.

De4th Strike said:
Do you Recommend frostback mountains or the brecillian forest next for terms of difficulty or are they mostly the same
The former is really long, some think too long. The latter is fairly short with a required dragon fight. Take your pick.

Gowans

What point/level should I be doing the DLC quest you get in the standard box?

Also I'm gathering all these herbs and odds and sods and I have no idea how to make potions, any tips?

Fredescu

Gowans007 said:
What point/level should I be doing the DLC quest you get in the standard box?
I would do Stone Prisoner straight away because Shale is really cool.

Gowans007 said:
Also I'm gathering all these herbs and odds and sods and I have no idea how to make potions, any tips?
Herbalism is a skill. If you don't have it, Morrigan should have. Click the leaf and it's all fairly self explanatory.

Brashnir

Gowans007 said:
Thanks I'll get right on them after I've done this castle.

If you have the ingredients on you, you can make potions in the field. Though if you didn't know anything about it, I guess you probably don't have flasks. I fill up to 99 flasks every time I pass a vendor who sells them.

Does the set bonus for the Blood Dragon armor give anyone else problems? I finally got Alistair's strength up enough to use it, purchased the other three pieces, but he's not getting the set bonus from it when they're all equipped. Not sure what the problem is. I'm on the 360 version.

HiResDes

I need help guys: I seem to have hit some sort of glitch where the knight-commander at the Circle Tower won't give me the key to get into the Circle of Magi...I've done a shitload already, having cleared 65% of the map, but its extremely frustrating not being able to finish a game you have invested 25 plus hours into...BTW, I'm a Mage, I have several quests to do in the Circle of Magi such as a blight quest, which requires me to bring back mages to cure this kid, and a few others.

HiResDes

De4th Strike said:
Got a kiss from leilana

the shame
Now all you have to do is get Alistair and your man-whoredom will be complete.

De4th Strike said:
Got a kiss from leilana

the shame

Got surprised yet?

Tokubetsu

Fragamemnon said:

The most maddening thing for me after playing through Dragon Age twice was seeing the rest of the game map and, having read the codex entries, realizing how much more interesting the other areas of the game world looked. It's the fantasy equivalent of looking over Pairs or Madrid for your urban thriller show, and instead deciding that it would be more interesting if the characters instead lived in Des Moines, Iowa.

To be fair, Amaranthine isn't quite Fereldan territory. It goes a bit above it as well.

Takuhi said:
Whoa, good find!

Five all new party members? Start over as a Gray Warden from Orlais? This sounds more significant than just 15 hours of new quests.

And I guess all the VO work needed for the new characters at least sort of justifies it being on a disc. Hmmm... Yeah. Just what I need, a new game to buy in March!

it better be for $39.99

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
ShallNoiseUpon said:
I'm so close to double-dipping and getting this on PC.

Has anyone played it on both? Is it worth double dipping?

It might be soon. Bioware released some pretty rad mod tools so we might see some excellent mods and campaigns in the near future.

CoolTrick

Banned
I suppose I'm still fairly early in the game. Only 15%
For the Blight, did the Mage and Dalish quests as well as completed the saving of Connor

I think this game is brilliant,

BUT,

BUT,

BUT,

THE ONE THING I CAN'T STAND ABOUT THIS GAME:

THE LOOT.

Sweet jesus is it shitty. At least it has been so far. There's nothing crappier than opening up tons of chests and getting fucking Malachite, or some tier 2 helmet.

It's really lessened my enjoyment of the dungeons.

Any comments on this?

Fragamemnon said:

I know!

I'm not terribly far into the game, game only says 14% (yet I have 31 hours played in only a few days, jesus...),

but hearing the descriptions of Antiva, or Orlais, it's like... those seem much more interesting than Ferelden.

Ventrue

CoolTrick said:
Sweet jesus is it shitty. At least it has been so far. There's nothing crappier than opening up tons of chests and getting fucking Malachite, or some tier 2 helmet.

Any comments on this?
You are pretty much correct on this one.

Macmanus

CoolTrick said:
THE ONE THING I CAN'T STAND ABOUT THIS GAME:

THE LOOT

The loot is comparable to hot garbage. My main guy, a warrior, is still rocking the fugly ass bonus item red dragon armor. Haven't really found an adequate replacement for it, which is rather depressing. He is also using the DLC sword you get from the meteor.

I was looking forward to the DLC today because I'm right before the lands meet and would love some shiny new gear, but alas it has been delayed for who knows how long.

Sielys

Hmh, the age ignorance is kind of annoying, especially in the human noble orgin. I made the most awesome, grizzled, old looking warrior, and everyone refers to me as lad and pup. I look older than my older brother and father, and am being flirted with by 20 year olds >.<

There needs to be an age option.

CoolTrick said:
but hearing the descriptions of Antiva, or Orlais, it's like... those seem much more interesting than Ferelden.

the grass is always greener

seriously, I thought the same thing, but then I realized I'd probably be thinking the same thing about Ferelden if I was in another place.

I do love this world, though. At the beginning I felt it was too generic, but it's actually kind of a good generic. Like they didn't try too much, but they did what they did REALLY well. Love it :D

dekjo

Doytch said:
I'll try to keep this post up to date with nice mods I see. If you want me to include something, or think I should change the ordering, or whatever, let me know.

Gameplay Mods
Dexterity Hotfix - Fixes the way bows and daggers calculate attack bonus and damage. Must have if you've a rogue in your party. Written by the Dragon Age gameplay engineer at Bioware. (Daggers are fixed in the 1.02 retail patch, but archery is still borked)
Nightmare Plus - Fixes enemy AI, tweaks spells, adds a lyrium addiction system, delivered in a module system so you can enable/disable changes as you wish. Recommended for second/multiple playthroughs for a bit of an extra challenge.
Open Lock Spells - So you don't have to drag a rogue along in your party.

Convenience/UI Mods
Respec Mod (Potions) - Adds a raven in your camp gives you potions that refund all your attribute/talent/skill/specialization points.
Camp Storage Chest - Puts a chest in your camp site...
Detailed Tooltips - Turns stuff like "Instantly restores moderate health" to "Instantly restores (50+SP)*3 health."
Annoyance Remover - Changes the visual effects for the persistent auras to one-/two-second things.
Items Received - Tells you what item you just got

Tactics System Mods
25 Tactics Slots - Self explanatory
Advanced Tactics - Adds extra conditions for to the Tactics menu that were disabled by the devs for unknown reasons.

Graphics Mods
HD Textures - If you're barely running the game, you might have some issues with larger textures, but most people should at least give it a shot.

Item Mods
DLC Items - Adds doppelgangers for the various sundry items you get for preordering at <insert_game_store_name>
Enchant Any Weapon - Again, pretty self-explanatory; lets you enchant bows/staves. This can throw off item balance, so use it wisely....or not.
Winter Forge - Lets you craft any kind of item you want. Naturally you can bork the balance with this mod, so I'd advise against using it the first time through.

Talk of the expansion is making want to go back and finish this (am right at the Landsmeet or whatever it's called). Wanted to check to see what the latest, greatest mods were. This post offers some interesting mods I'll check out when I get home from work - any others people would recommend checking out? Any interesting mod projects going on?

It's easy to keep up with Oblivion mods since most seem to come out of the bethsoft forums - is there a similar forum for Draqon Age mods?

Fredescu

CoolTrick said:
THE LOOT.

Any comments on this?
Yeah, the loot is pretty bad. Some nice loot drops in the DLC areas which kinda makes it worse, since you get better gear in a 90 minute run than you do in a five hour dungeon crawl with a hard boss fight at the end. I'm hoping the loot in the expansion is more in line with what's in the DLC.

dekjo said:
It's easy to keep up with Oblivion mods since most seem to come out of the bethsoft forums - is there a similar forum for Draqon Age mods?

Official: http://social.bioware.com/browse_bw_projects.php

Unofficial, but easier to search etc: http://dragonagenexus.com/index.php

Sascha23

Banned
I was considering picking up both DLCs, but after hearing about the full-on expansion--well, I'm just going to wait for that.

Besides, the game is so epic, I definitely need to replay through another time and become the super evil Mage I should have been the first time around.

Hyunkel6

Are there any incentives to give supplies to the allies in camp? I gave all my fortune (150 gold pieces) to the Redcliff army, but nothing changed. Fortunately, I saved right before.

Ventrue

Hyunkel6 said:
Are there any incentives to give supplies to the allies in camp? I gave all my fortune (150 gold pieces) to the Redcliff army, but nothing changed. Fortunately, I saved right before.
It just makes them fight a little better, I think.

yanhero

Fragamemnon said:

What do you mean by "rest of the game map"? Did they show a map of the rest of the world?? If so, do you have a link?

Man, with the new expansion coming I HAVE to start a 3rd character and do some stuff, as well as go back with my first character and patch up a few things.

I love my first character though: (game spoilers)
- Male human noble warrior (two-handed spec, champ/reaver)
- Killed Wynne in the tower
- Got the werewolves and lady of the forest on my side, killed Dathrian
- Romance with Morrigan (and Leliana, but ditched her for Morrigan)
- Had a baby with Morrigan, insisted I would track her down
- Became King-consort with Anora
- Killed Flemeth
- Defiled the ashes, but lied about it to everyone (didn't have Leliana with me at the time)
- Got Harrowmont, but killed Caridan and kept the Anvil of the Void
- Demanded that Howe's family be punished eternally
- Killed the boy at Redcliffe after punching his mom

just totally a fun character to play. But man, Alistair bitches at me at EVERY DECISION I MAKE

I'm playing a Dalish Elf female now, totally differently. Gotta have respect for nature and disdain for humans and stuff ;)

I think after I try out the dwarf stuff I may make a human noble female warrior and go for the
marry Alistair
plot.

My girlfriend is doing all the mage stuff, she completed the City Elf and I think her next is going to be a human mage. I hate mages so it all works out :lol

Rufus

Ventrue said:
It just makes them fight a little better, I think.
You get more troops (max amount dependant on race), which are stronger (in terms of levels) an better equipped.

A little more detail:
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Allied_Supply_Crates

yanhero said:
What do you mean by "rest of the game map"? Did they show a map of the rest of the world?? If so, do you have a link?
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Thedas

The image is one of the wallpapers from the official site, so it's legit.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
timetokill said:
Man, with the new expansion coming I HAVE to start a 3rd character and do some stuff, as well as go back with my first character and patch up a few things.

just totally a fun character to play. But man, Alistair bitches at me at EVERY DECISION I MAKE

:lol You're a bad man.

I couldn't bring myself to make most of the bad choices in the game /goodygoody.

Rufus said:
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Thedas

The image is one of the wallpapers from the official site, so it's legit.

Agreed, I really want to explore more of the world.

Especially Antiva :).

Rufus

Pankaks said:

I couldn't bring myself to make most of the bad choices in the game /goodygoody.
I had planned to play a complete bastard my second time through but instead ended up just having a bit of a short fuse and a generally cocky attitude (ruined Cammen Hamstercheeks life, for one, by 'sampling the goods'; golden).

Pankaks said:

I have two characters I always play in games that let me --

Dirk - male - warrior type - total bastard and womanizer, kills everyone when he has the chance, always demands higher rewards for things, etc. basically i get my coercion stat as high as i can right away, and then intimidate everyone every time the option comes up. And I go for the worst "kill him" option I can :lol Then the rest of my points go straight into strength, two-handed weapons if possible, no defensive measures for this guy. never uses magic, ever. He's all about survival of the fittest, and never helps out the poor. In Fallout he'd be defined as like... Bloody Mess and Lady Killer.

[various female names: Ridley, Aurora, my Dalish Elf is "Elifae"] - female - rogue type, very sweet and coy but steals everything possible. only kills people that stand in the way of whatever her background is.... so for my Dalish Elf she will defend the elves, she supports Harrowmont because he's more into Dwarven tradition, etc. If possible this character uses sex to get things when possible, then kills the character later if possible (if they're evil)... a sort of "black widow" character in that sense. Always ends up doing the Good options but usually tries to figure the shadiest way to get there. Usually ends up moderately good, but this character often shows the deficiencies of a game system on the morality scale (stealing a bunch of times apparently outweighs your decision to save the orphanage rather than burn it down, etc.)

yanhero said:

Sorry, I meant the rest of the Thedas map:

ThedasMap.jpg

Ferelden is like Arkansas if I had to make a rough comparison to the US. Sparsely populated with only one or two real cities, rural with a lot of backwater folk and people. I think some of the complaints that Dragon Age felt too much like traditional been-there-done-that fantasy was their choice of such a uninteresting location in their game world.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
my problem with a 2nd play through now is that my first time I seem to have done alot of things according to canon, or at least what I understand of the canon.

Shared a love with Morrigan = tragic love story of 2 people who never expected to all for each other, forced to part for some seemingly immense reason. there is no other way to twist the Morrigan story to make it better so I reckon that's the canon.

Made Alistair king.

Sided with the elves and Harrowmont.

Even if some of that isn't canon, that's the story in my world now. This is what happens and anything else is a lie. Dunno if I'm gonna be able to shake that attachment. Its like when alternate dimension versions of your fave characters invade your tv show, they're fine, but you want to know that at the end, those guys went home and you're left with your "real" versions.

anyone else get that feeling?

Top Bottom