• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

I really do hope that there is an expansion. Very few games interest me over the next year

Bayonetta (already paid for)
Heavy Rain
The Last Guardian

So a DA:O expansion would be a god send. Add in two years of DLC support, and the game looks like it has incredible potential to grow

Rufus

Wallach said:
"Dark Fantasy" is not a fitting moniker for this game's setting.
So true. When I heard "Heroic Dark Fantasy" I thought of Berserk (the manga) immediately, but DA is nothing like that.

IoCaster

OK...I just pulled off a supremely satisfying double-cross.
I played along with Bhelen and did all of the quests as his ally. Very surprisingly, even Oghren stayed loyal and sided with me at the end when I had to kill Branka. Too weird! When I got back to Orzammar I pulled a fast one and gave the crown to Lord Harrowmont. Well, as you can imagine, SHTF and we wiped out Bhelen and his supporters in a wonderful grand melee right then and there. Holy shit that was fun and extremely gratifying to turn the tables on that backstabbing lowlife bastard. Hey Bhelen, quel surprise n'est pas? Good times y'all.
This game continues to deliver.

Dennis

Banned
So now that Bioware has made two of the best RPGs in recent years with DA:O and Mass Effect, one fantasy and one sci-fi, they just need to make a present-day/near-future RPG series to complete their domination :lol

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
DennisK4 said:
So now that Bioware has made two of the best RPGs in recent years with DA:O and Mass Effect, one fantasy and one sci-fi, they just need to make a present-day/near-future RPG series to complete their domination :lol

That would be the most amazing thing ever.

Wait. Where is Alpha Protocol coming from again?

Sielys

Hm, so much for gender neutrality. Played a female mage helping
Irving catch Jowan
, and I'm sure I chose the same dialogue options, but when Irving said "she's here under my orders" Jowan completely flipped out and yelled "don't you dare speak to me!"

This never happened on my male playthroughs, Jowan just ignored that and carried on like I was helping him all along, he never get angry with me on any of my 5+ playthroughs (I messed up my first charcter, so many restarts :lol)

And then later when
we found Jowan in redcliffe dungeon
he was still pissed about me betraying him, when he was nice and even went as far as apologizing for lying about
his use of blood magic
on my male playthrough.

Probably just a bug or something though.

IoCaster

Gamer @ Heart said:
Bhelen is a fucking asshole.

Yes he is and that's why it was so much fun to turn the tables on him at the last minute. :D

poserdonut said:
I haven't slept with anyone else! And I have level 4 in conservationist or whatever it's called.

I'll have to check out the thing mentioned in the spoiler.

[edit]After reading on another forum it seems like I might have ended up in the friend zone which fucks me over :([/edit]

Don't despair. I nailed Morrigan 4x in camp and still managed to bed Leliana. I even told her that I had a thing for Morry when she asked.
I did the Morry quest, but didn't kill Flemeth. I gave her the Grimoire and I guess she just assumed that I had killed her, but I never did. I kept courting Leliana regardless and finally Morry laid down an ultimatum about it. I told Morry to stuff it and I went straight to Leli and kept trying to cop a feel. A few gifts and some sweet talk. *BAM* She's yours for the taking.
It's insanely stupid to feel some kind of sense of accomplishment about it, but it's so much fun to do that I can't blame Bioware for making it possible. It's a beautiful thing. :lol

sturmdogg

All this talk about leliana made me google for her, as I havent encountered her yet. Turns out I missed my chance to recruit her in Lothering (can't travel there anymore as the darkspawn already paid a visit) :(

Ah well, looks like I'm off to romance Moriggan :lol

Sielys

Gamer @ Heart said:
Bhelen is a fucking asshole.

Which bothers me because he's the best choice for king in the epilogue! The other dude creates a total shitstorm between the dwarves and the other races.

Samara

LOL, had to redo the game because I didn't want that giant on my team and turns out Leliana was dead in Lothering?!? And the worst part.....

I didn't know you could change view/persepective of teamates in combat!!! Or that you could place powers behind the one in front. Or what the Health/Blue water poutices were for and never used any. How I made it to Redcliff I have no idea. Thank God it was on easy, until I reached the castle and the difficutly was way up then the previous 10 hours

:lol :lol :lol I felt so...dumb.

Rufus

How do you actually miss some of these things? Why did you not read the description of the 'blue water' the first time you saw one?

sturmdogg

sweetwasabi said:
LOL, had to redo the game because I didn't want that giant on my team and turns out Leliana was dead in Lothering?!? And the worst part.....

I didn't know you could change view/persepective of teamates in combat!!! Or that you could place powers behind the one in front. Or what the Health/Blue water poutices were for and never used any. How I made it to Redcliff I have no idea. Thank God it was on easy, until I reached the castle and the difficutly was way up then the previous 10 hours

:lol :lol :lol I felt so...dumb.

What do you mean? Place mages behind the warriors / tanks?

kitzkozan

DennisK4 said:

I'm sure they will eventually follow in the footsteps of Obsidian.

Alpha protocol look like a great modern day rpg/shooter hybrid,so it's definitively possible to create a good modern day rpg.

It's the next logical step for Bioware,since they already did the fantasy and are now mastering the sci-fi rpg. :D But before they start up a new franchise,I want to see them improve upon Dragon age just like they are doing with Mass effect 2.

If Mass effect 2 vastly improve upon the gameplay of the first,there's definitively room for improvement when it come to Dragon age:eek:rigins.I am sure a proper Dragon age sequel could equal or surpass Baldur's gate. :D

Samara

What do you mean? Place mages behind the warriors / tanks?

No, like the 3 slots. Where I had Bolt, Fire, and Sword on Fire. Didn't realize I could use more than that

I taught it was the ammo for the wood staff my mage had. Cause it was blue too :lol

And I'd never die. Until the maze in the castle and was like "WTF?! why am I dieing so many time?" and was using Quick Heals like hell. And when I was looking for the shapeshifting of the mouse that I saw all them Goodies. It's not like they made it very clear where they were

Sielys

sweetwasabi said:
What do you mean? Place mages behind the warriors / tanks?[/quotes]

No, like the 3 slots. Where I had Bolt, Fire, and Sword on Fire. Didn't realize I could use more than that

I taught it was the ammo for the wood staff my mage had. Cause it was blue too :lol

And I'd never die. Until the maze in the castle and was like "WTF?! why am I dieing so many time?" and was using Quick Heals like hell. And when I was looking for the shapeshifting of the mouse that I saw all them Goodies. It's not like they made it very clear where they were

Do you mean the sloth demons domain? Not sure what you're talking about...

Macmanus

And now to ask a question most likely asked several times prior: Do I need to equip my auxiliary team members for the Landsmeet and beyond, or can I simply worry about my main four?

Samara

Sielys said:
sweetwasabi said:
Do you mean the sloth demons domain? Not sure what you're talking about...

The fade demon
of that Connor kid

OK, I have a question. I have 22 points in Cunning, but I "bought" the skill to persuade but I can't assign the slot: Do I have to the get skill? How ?

Leatherface

Man, that dragon in the
werewolf temple
is a bitch to beat. I get it down to about 1/5 life if I make no mistakes at all, but it's kicked my ass now about 20 times in a row. Anyone have any tips? What levels should my group be at? Thanks!

Sielys

Leatherface said:
Man, that dragon in the
werewolf temple
is a bitch to beat. I get it down to about 1/5 life if I make no mistakes at all, but it's kicked my ass now about 20 times in a row. Anyone have any tips? What levels should my group be at? Thanks!

I did it at level 6 on hard and 8 on nightmare. Just tank an' spank, heal your tank, make sure DPS don't gain threat, then collect awesome dragon lewts.

Wallach

sweetwasabi said:
The fade demon
of that Connor kid

OK, I have a question. I have 22 points in Cunning, but I "bought" the skill to persuade but I can't assign the slot: Do I have to the get skill? How ?

Don't take this the wrong way, but you really need to go read the fuckin' manual. You are lost as shit, man. It sounds like it would do you a lot of good.

I don't get the feeling that is going to happen, so - the skill you bought (Coercion) is passive and you'll see some dialogue options with people that have like (Persuade) or (Intimidate) next to them. Those are dialogue choices that look at your Cunning/Coercion scores to see if you pull them off. Depending on who you're talking to, failing one of those dialogue checks can be a bad thing.

WanderingWind

Macmanus said:
And now to ask a question most likely asked several times prior: Do I need to equip my auxiliary team members for the Landsmeet and beyond, or can I simply worry about my main four?

Equip everybody.

Leatherface

Sielys said:
I did it at level 6 on hard and 8 on nightmare. Just tank an' spank, heal your tank, make sure DPS don't gain threat, then collect awesome dragon lewts.

I must be doing something totally wrong then because it eventually either jumps on one of my tanks and eats him, or goes straight after my mage and kills her with a quickness. I could be a little rusty still though. I feel like I don't quite have a grasp on everything yet. blah.

Well..off to slay the dragons. :D

Ricker

Macmanus said:

Equip them...

Sielys

Leatherface said:
I must be doing something totally wrong then because it eventually either jumps on one of my tanks and eats him, or goes straight after my mage and kills her with a quickness. I could be a little rusty still though. I feel like I don't quite have a grasp on everything yet. blah.

Well..off to slay the dragons. :D

Cast winters grasp or another freezing spell when he does the pin and bite attack, it freezes him, canceling the attack and lets your tank recover.

Dennis

Banned
kitzkozan said:
If Mass effect 2 vastly improve upon the gameplay of the first,there's definitively room for improvement when it come to Dragon age:eek:rigins.I am sure a proper Dragon age sequel could equal or surpass Baldur's gate. :D
There are three very important improvements I would like to see to the game mechanics:

1. The ability to stack orders so I can issue more than one order for a character at once - e.g. Cone of Cold followed naturally by Stone Fist to shatter the frozen enemy. Why do I have to wait? If I recall correctly you could do this in Baldurs Gate 2. Why the step backwards?

2. Allow attacks on NPC/enemies even if the presence of the player character haven't "triggered" the enemies. In Baldurs Gate 2 I had so much fun assassinating enemies from stealth - in DA:O that is not always possible.

3. More freedom to explore/loot houses independtly of quests. In Baldurs Gate 2 there were so many houses you could freely explore/loot/assassinate inhabitants if you so decided. That game simply had more freedom to explore. It felt less linear in that regard and allowed more approaches to tackling situations.

Now I understand that some of this may simply be hard to implement due to the extra work - involved - but would it really be that hard to use existing assets to create a larger city with more houses that you could freely choose to explore if you want to, independetly of any quests. Lets say you enter a stately manor by using stealth to bypass a guard with a rogue character. You procede to loot chest and cupboards and what have you. Upon encountering the lord of the manor in his bedroom you promptly backstab him while in stealth mode and loot his still warm corpse. Perfect. You then notice stairs leading down to a basement and of course you wan't to explore that too. But in the basement there is blood everywere and a body lies on a table surrounded by grotesque statues of demons. You have wandered into the lair of a coven of Blood Mages! They immediately attack and you fight for your life. Such a scenario should not be tied to any quest nor should the enemies scale to your level. Let me get in over my head, abandon the house for now and come back later. Would it really be that hard to make this possible? I don't see why - all the necessary assets are there already.

I know Bioware have said that they are not going to make another game with as much content as Baldurs Gate 2, but if Dragon Age sells really well, I hope this signals to Bioware that there IS a market for these old-school epic RPGs. Also, pride. You can't tell me Bioware wouldn't love to surpass Baldurs Gate 2.

Wallach

WanderingWind said:
C'mon guys. Don't get on his case too hard. We all had to start with RPG's at some point.

Nah, that's why I really think he should go through the manual. Would help him get a lot of the basics sorted out.

Sielys

DennisK4 said:
nor should the enemies scale to your level.

What!? If there's one thing I dislike about game is non-scaling enemies. I dislike getting to the highest level and being able to powerhouse everything godmode style. I like to fight for every battle, struggle to defeat every enemy. If anything, they should have initial levels for enemies, and once you surpass that, they scale upwards to your level. I'm all for scaling up, so good on you if that's what you mean, but I hate down scaling.

WanderingWind

Sielys said:
What!? If there's one thing I dislike about game is non-scaling enemies. I dislike getting to the highest level and being able to powerhouse everything godmode style. I like to fight for every battle, struggle to defeat every enemy. If anything, they should have initial levels for enemies, and once you surpass that, they scale upwards to your level. I'm all for scaling up, so good on you if that's what you mean, but I hate down scaling.

Then play another genre. Level scaling is the absolute worse idea ever to be put into RPGs. It's no coincidence why that is always the first thing modded out of games that have that retarded system.

There is a reason why they have leveling in RPGs and well, now just about every other genre actually. There is a sense of progression that you don't get if every enemy is exactly your level.

The inverse to how you describe it (which still sounds boring as hell to me) is that there is zero progression and zero exploration. Nothing better than going to an area, getting killed by superior enemies, then coming back at a later time with more experience and weapons and getting revenge.

All of this is why Morrowind was a far, far superior game to Oblivion.

tl;dr: Level scaling sucks ass.

Rufus

WanderingWind said:
There is a reason why they have leveling in RPGs and well, now just about every other genre actually. There is a sense of progression that you don't get if every enemy is exactly your level.
What, learning new (and powerful) abilities doesn't count as progress any more?
I find the scaling in DA actually pretty intelligent. Read up on it: http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/challenge_scaling

An excerpt from the above link:
Area Limits

In Dragon Age: Origins, every areas has a minimum and maximum level. If the player enters the area, the party's level is taken and compared to the area limits. If it is between the limits, the creatures in the areas scale to the party's level. If the party level is outside the limit, the creatures scale to the upper or lower bounds of the area limit, whatever appropriate.

Once this has happened, the game stores these values and they are never changed. Creatures in Dragon Age: Origins, once encountered, will never change their existing level, to allow the player to come back to an area later and overcome previously impossible challenges, therefore having getting sense of accomplishment.

Leatherface

Sielys said:
Cast winters grasp or another freezing spell when he does the pin and bite attack, it freezes him, canceling the attack and lets your tank recover.

I killed that fucker (just barely)!! FINALLY!! I won by throwing one acid flask down right before I was about to get dealt a death blow. *phew*

Thanks btw! The ice thing worked. :D

WanderingWind

Rufus said:
What, learning new (and powerful) abilities doesn't count as progress any more?
I find the scaling in DA actually pretty intelligent. Read up on it: http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/challenge_scaling

When your Fireball of Death is doing the same relative amount of damage as your beginning level Sparkler spell did in the beginning of the game, it's not really progression.

I agree that DA did it pretty well. You were killing Darkspawn with the fireball almost instantly, but the dragons and more advanced enemies could give you a run for the money.

EDIT: Yeah, that was a pretty big selling point of the DA during the initial marketing blitz, IIRC.

Dragon Age isn't the same type of game as Morrowind/Oblivion. Level scaling is needed for any type of difficulty or balance to be maintained. Dragon Age is probably too light on the scaling it as it is, as enemies already get too easy after the first 2 or so main quests have been completed.

Dragon Age isn't about exploration. Other than for certain special encounters, there's little sense in not scaling enemies to your level.

Fredescu

WanderingWind said:
Then play another genre. Level scaling is the absolute worse idea ever to be put into RPGs.
It's not a bad mechanic, it was just poorly implemented in Oblivion. It wasn't even the worst idea in Oblivion.

WanderingWind

Basileus777 said:
Dragon Age isn't the same type of game as Morrowind/Oblivion. Level scaling is needed for any type of difficulty or balance to be maintained. Dragon Age is probably too light on the scaling it as it is, as enemies already get too easy after the first 2 or so main quests have been completed.

That's an interesting set of opinions that don't seem to be shared by the majority of players who have been bitching the game was too hard. Level scaling is never needed for balance and the vast majority of games that are out support that. Also, DA and Morrowind/Oblivion are both RPGs with an emphasis on exploration. For the level scaling discussion, they're similar enough.

EDIT: Well, I can definitely agree Oblivion had a ton of issues. But the level scaling thing is still the biggest, in mine, most gamers and even the developers post-game opinion.

DennisK4 said:
There are three very important improvements I would like to see to the game mechanics:

1. The ability to stack orders so I can issue more than one order for a character at once - e.g. Cone of Cold followed naturally by Stone Fist to shatter the frozen enemy. Why do I have to wait? If I recall correctly you could do this in Baldurs Gate 2. Why the step backwards?

2. Allow attacks on NPC/enemies even if the presence of the player character haven't "triggered" the enemies. In Baldurs Gate 2 I had so much fun assassinating enemies from stealth - in DA:O that is not always possible.

3. More freedom to explore/loot houses independtly of quests. In Baldurs Gate 2 there were so many houses you could freely explore/loot/assassinate inhabitants if you so decided. That game simply had more freedom to explore. It felt less linear in that regard and allowed more approaches to tackling situations.

Now I understand that some of this may simply be hard to implement due to the extra work - involved - but would it really be that hard to use existing assets to create a larger city with more houses that you could freely choose to explore if you want to, independetly of any quests. Lets say you enter a stately manor by using stealth to bypass a guard with a rogue character. You procede to loot chest and cupboards and what have you. Upon encountering the lord of the manor in his bedroom you promptly backstab him while in stealth mode and loot his still warm corpse. Perfect. You then notice stairs leading down to a basement and of course you wan't to explore that too. But in the basement there is blood everywere and a body lies on a table surrounded by grotesque statues of demons. You have wandered into the lair of a coven of Blood Mages! They immediately attack and you fight for your life. Such a scenario should not be tied to any quest nor should the enemies scale to your level. Let me get in over my head, abandon the house for now and come back later. Would it really be that hard to make this possible? I don't see why - all the necessary assets are there already.

I know Bioware have said that they are not going to make another game with as much content as Baldurs Gate 2, but if Dragon Age sells really well, I hope this signals to Bioware that there IS a market for these old-school epic RPGs. Also, pride. You can't tell me Bioware wouldn't love to surpass Baldurs Gate 2.

But see... to me DA:O does surpass BG2, despite the flaws you mentioned above. DnD rules simply aren't suited to video games. The only game I've ever been able to stomach them in is Torment and that was only because I could talk my way out of so many fights that the combat never really hampered the experience. Somehow BG2 simply feels... artificial. I never got drawn into the experience and was always aware I was playing a video game. Something about Dragon Age just... feels right. I know that's such an indefensible way to present an opinion, but sometimes that's all one can say.

BG2 never enthralled me. DA:O does. It has less content and less exploration, but I still prefer it. The origins are amazingly well done and unique (it's always bothered me how no matter how you build your character in an RPG it still starts out the same), and the roleplaying in conversations and choices in DA:O is much more in depth than BG2 which played out similarly depending on choices. That's not to say all choices have an impact on the main story in Dragon Age but they do have definite impact. Simply read this Eurogamer article. It best sums up how I feel about the game:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/games-of-2009-dragon-age-origins-article

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I don't know if the huge DLC for March is real or not, but I've figured that the next regular DLC would be a "Rebuild Lothering" type quest, and allow you to still recruit Lelaina and Sten. Just a guess. I'm also hoping for a Highever DLC quest as well.

Rufus

truly101 said:
I don't know if the huge DLC for March is real or not, but I've figured that the next regular DLC would be a "Rebuild Lothering" type quest, and allow you to still recruit Lelaina and Sten. Just a guess.
Rebuilding wouldn't make much sense during the Blight (assuming you access the DLC before you finish the main quest) and recruiting the two after doesn't make any sense, so... Nah.

Leatherface

I'm having such a hard time with this game. I feel like I'm either playing wrong, spec'd wrong or all the above. I have a few questions for anyone willing to help.

1st-
werewolf temple ruins
So it took everything I had. Every ounce of gamer I could muster to defeat the damn dragon. But this is just the beginning! This dungeon is ultra hard!! How on earth can I possible handly mob after mob of 8+ enemies at once?!! I'm getting completely trashed in this dungeon!! OMG what do I do?!!

2nd- Is there an easy way to get back to camp, heal up and buy supplies? Also, why am I limited? Buying 4 lesser healing kits doesn't do it in a game like this!! :(

halp!

3rd- Maybe I skipped another part of the story I was suppose to do first? Maybe that's why it's a pain in the ass? what order do I go in? Is there an order to which place I visit and quest in? I started in the forest.

kai3345

Banned
sturmdogg said:
All this talk about leliana made me google for her, as I havent encountered her yet. Turns out I missed my chance to recruit here in Lothering (can't travel there anymore as the darkspawn already paid a visit) :(

Ah well, looks like I'm off to romance Moriggan :lol
What? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I missed it too I guess.

Son of a bitch

Sysgen

Just finished this. After 112 hours I can get my life back and start something else. Epic Epic Epic. The game is a masterpiece even though it sometimes tests your patience. The animation, writing, voice overs, set design are all brilliant and worthy of any award the game may receive.

I played on normal and admit during one key battle
Anvil of whatever
I had to turn it down to easy. I just didn't have the right party and there was no way to win.

Fredescu

Leatherface said:
I'm having such a hard time with this game. I feel like I'm either playing wrong, spec'd wrong or all the above. I have a few questions for anyone willing to help.

1st-
werewolf temple ruins
So it took everything I had. Every ounce of gamer I could muster to defeat the damn dragon. But this is just the beginning! This dungeon is ultra hard!! How on earth can I possible handly mob after mob of 8+ enemies at once?!! I'm getting completely trashed in this dungeon!! OMG what do I do?!!
What class are you playing as and what's your party makeup? These games revolve around having a tank, healing, and crowd control.

Make sure your tank (warrior with beefy armour) has the taunt ability. It is AE and makes all the enemies focus on him.

Mages have a raft of crowd control abilities, like cone of cold, sleep, paralysis, etc etc. If you're having trouble handing large groups of enemies, you should look at getting some of those spells so you can disable large groups of enemies.

For healing, you have a few options. The vendor at the forest camp has unlimited elfroot, so you can make a crapload of healing potions from that. You pick up a dedicated healer party member when you do the Mage Circle quest, so you could leave and go get her if you want. You will have to finish the Mage Circle quest before coming back though because it locks you in. If you're a mage yourself and have a specialisation point to spend, you could buy the book in Denerim to get the spirit healing specialisation. It gives you group heal which is pretty great. You could also give Morrigan a few healing spells, but you might be better off focusing on crowd control with her.

Leatherface said:
2nd- Is there an easy way to get back to camp, heal up and buy supplies? Also, why am I limited? Buying 4 lesser healing kits doesn't do it in a game like this!! :(
Yeah, it's a long run back from the dungeon, but just go out from the forest camp into the world map and your camp is at the top right. You don't get random encounters going to and from your camp either.

Leatherface said:
3rd- Maybe I skipped another part of the story I was suppose to do first? Maybe that's why it's a pain in the ass? what order do I go in? Is there an order to which place I visit and quest in? I started in the forest.
I always felt like the game tried to push me to do Redcliffe first, but you don't have to. Like I said above, if you think you need a healer above all it can be handy to do the Mage Circle first. It's entirely optional though. I think the difficulty you're having is just a matter of getting the hang of the combat system. There's a lot going on.

Sysgen

Leatherface said:

1st-
werewolf temple ruins

halp!

Forget the injury kits. I ran into the same issue early on. My party was walking around with 5 or 6 injuries per. You can argue ridiculous design when money is so scarce early on but then again just like if you don't have a rogue you can't open some chests. Sure this pisses off a lot of people but this RPG is so authentic because of it. No injury kits have you? Walk about and fight injured. I had to do it. There is a Restoration spell; Cleansing or something like that that heals everyones injuries.
The mage you get at the circle tower has it
Some parts of the game depending on your party are brutally hard even on normal so drop down the difficulty if you have to.

Top Bottom