• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Peff

Fredescu said:
I thought once you sorted out your DLC, you can run the game logged out fine with no effect on the DLC content?

I think it doesn't even let you start unless you are using a profile that bought the pieces of content from that particular save. At least I couldn't. Also, be very careful with your saves since sometimes the flag for "DLC is on/off" is screwed up when saving and you'll lose every item from the quest, the places in the map... and the only way to fix it right now is to go back to an older save.

Rufus

I'm not sure. Sometimes I get a pop-up saying a user who owns the DLC needs to be logged in if I want to load a save. Which I don't understand since I can play with the DLC while being logged out, I confirmed it just now.

Fredescu

Peff said:
I think it doesn't even let you start unless you are using a profile that bought the pieces of content from that particular save. At least I couldn't.
If you're logged in and can't contact the servers, it won't let you start the save. If you're logged out, I'm pretty sure it lets you.

Peff

Fredescu said:
If you're logged in and can't contact the servers, it won't let you start the save. If you're logged out, I'm pretty sure it lets you.

Hm, that's probably it, yeah. Good to know.

Rufus

Fredescu said:
It does, just confirmed it. How does that make sense though?

Mar

With the romance stuff, is [kiss her] the same as any of the other ways to initiate sex? I just assumed [kiss her] led to sex as it does the same music and fade out thing. But I find it odd that Morrigan
will now just do that wherever I am, in public or whatever. I no longer have to be in camp. The last time I played we did that in a dungeon, with my party watching, and the princess of Denerim and her servant standing there.

Rufus

Mar_ said:
With the romance stuff, is [kiss her] the same as any of the other ways to initiate sex? I just assumed [kiss her] led to sex as it does the same music and fade out thing. But I find it odd that Morrigan
will now just do that wherever I am, in public or whatever. I no longer have to be in camp. The last time I played we did that in a dungeon, with my party watching, and the princess of Denerim and her servant standing there.
You only kiss her in public. Awkward and cheesy sex scenes are reserved for camp and you will only see them once for every romancable character. But iall of them except Morrigan will sleep more than once with you. The only difference is that you don't get to see the scene again. (Nobody's loss.)

Footos22

After 48 hours of pure brilliance. I have finally finished this absolute Gem Playing as a sword and board noble.
I actually felt sad killing the final boss knowing that it was all over. After i found out what had happened because of my decisions in the game I have to say that was easily one of the better endings i have experienced this gen and there has been a hell of alot of them.

Now onto darksiders!

Then straight back to dragon age for my mage playthrough.
I can't wait.

Vagabundo

I'm a few hours in
Just got to some little village after that witch saved me from the signal tower
, I'm a sword and board Dwarf noble - really enjoying the conversations and background on that one - I set the difficulty on hard.

Am I going to regret that? I've been able to win most of the fights - only the bad-ass
troll
made me reload a few times.

Oh and I think this game surpasses Baldur's Gate...

Fuck Alistair, bitch can never take a joke. Funny seeing as he dishes them out so much. I try to play along with his schtick and he gets offended, plus he disaproves of everything I do. I'm running out of shit to give him. :lol
Speaking of which, what do characters like besides the obvious? The only real clues are that Sten likes paintings (from his codex) and I remembered that Leliana liked that flower from a conversation. What does Shale like? Runes? Or do I give that to the Dwarf that I don't have in my party yet...

I should be doing hw said:
Fuck Alistair, bitch can never take a joke. Funny seeing as he dishes them out so much. I try to play along with his schtick and he gets offended, plus he disaproves of everything I do. I'm running out of shit to give him. :lol
Speaking of which, what do characters like besides the obvious? The only real clues are that Sten likes paintings (from his codex) and I remembered that Leliana liked that flower from a conversation. What does Shale like? Runes? Or do I give that to the Dwarf that I don't have in my party yet...

Shale likes
"Remarkable" gemstones (Remarkable Sapphire, Remarkable Emerald, etc.)
Oghren (dwarf) likes
alcohol
Morrigan likes
jewelry and pretty things
Leliana likes pretty much anything to do with
Andraste
Wynne likes
books
Alistair likes
runestones and small figurines... like action figures. get it? because he acts like a little boy.

etc. etc. Not every gift is going to get you a +5 or whatever, but those are basic rules to go by.

roxya

Like when you're recruiting Shale and you tell him to
attack Alistair
. I thought it was funny, but he didn't :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Oh that sounds nice. I like contradictory characters that are purposefully writtten that way.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
With regards to the romancing, how can I bed Leliana? I've been supernice to her all game, but I've got to the time where I can trigger the landsmeet and I thought I'd have got her by now. Her 'like' is up around 90% and she sung me a song once, but it seems that I've been friendzoned or something. I think she likes my Elven Mage though, she says "Looking for lil' old me?" when I speak to her and all. Should I just abandon ship and go hit on Zevran instead??

Vik_Vaughn said:
I'm a mage. I'm with Alistair and Morrigan. Leliana wants to party with us. Do I can Morrigan and go with Leliana?

I'm so used to reading about romance options in Bioware RPGs I absolutely thought this was you asking if you could have some sort of in-game orgy.

WaltJay

Jedeye Sniv said:
With regards to the romancing, how can I bed Leliana? I've been supernice to her all game, but I've got to the time where I can trigger the landsmeet and I thought I'd have got her by now. Her 'like' is up around 90% and she sung me a song once, but it seems that I've been friendzoned or something. I think she likes my Elven Mage though, she says "Looking for lil' old me?" when I speak to her and all. Should I just abandon ship and go hit on Zevran instead??

Leiliana took a very long time for me to romance. Morrigan and especially Zevran were complete cakewalks compared to her. If you get the [kiss] dialog option, you are getting really close.

Make sure to save before each conversation so in case you mess up, you can reload. Making the most of each conversation is critical. So if you get a +1 (or a lose favor), I would reload and giving it another shot.

Always talk to her up until the point where you just get a generic dialog option (or the same one every time). Also, be sure to only give her gifts she loves (Andraste's Flowers or something like that is one of them) and do her personal quest. I hovered around the 90%+ range for a long time before I finally closed the deal. It took forever so you are no alone!

Double D

rainking187 said:
You can have four party members. No reason you can't have both.

I realized that shortly after, lol. I'm going to try and get Sten in my party, so I suppose I'll have to make a decision then.

Kinan

whatevermort said:
I'm so used to reading about romance options in Bioware RPGs I absolutely thought this was you asking if you could have some sort of in-game orgy.

yea, I thought the same, especially considering you can indeed take part in a 4-way party
leliana+zevran+you+that captain girl

Xapati

Vagabundo said:
I'm a few hours in
Just got to some little village after that witch saved me from the signal tower
, I'm a sword and board Dwarf noble - really enjoying the conversations and background on that one - I set the difficulty on hard.

Am I going to regret that? I've been able to win most of the fights - only the bad-ass
troll
made me reload a few times.

Oh and I think this game surpasses Baldur's Gate...

The game is pretty darn hard, especially if you're playing through the first time. But you can always change the difficulty at any time.

IoCaster

Jedeye Sniv said:

Do her personal quest and then hire the 'idle beggar' in Orzammar Dust Town to catch a 'nug' for you and gift it to her. To get the prompt from the beggar, talk to her until she mentions how she'd like one of those cute nugs.

Megaton

Neo Member
Beat the game on normal with an elf rogue and started up a new game with a dwarf warrior on hard and I'm finding the game so much easier now. Are warriors that much stronger than rogues or something?

Just picked it up for the 360 for $25. Couldnt pass it up at that price but I did want to wait it out until I upgraded my PC. I'll just have to double dip I guess. Hopefully you don't miss out on too much in the console version. Not much of a PC gamer but this is the type of game I'd think should be played on the PC. I know you miss out on a bit of the planning and strategizing control but I don't know how much I'd use it first time around.

WaltJay

FYI, looks like the Return to Ostagar DLC is up, at least for the 360.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-AU/games/offers/0ccf0017-0000-4000-8000-0000454108c0?cid=SLink

Dragon Age: Origins - Return to Ostagar
Released: 14/01/2009
File Size: 134 MB
400 Microsoft Points

The battle of Ostagar laid waste to your order and claimed the lives of many great men and women, including the brash King Cailan and your mentor, Duncan. Now, there are rumors that a fellow survivor of the battle has escaped from captivity and is seeking the Grey Wardens' help. The time has come to make your return to Ostagar and exact revenge upon the darkspawn. Includes: (1) A return to the battlefields of Ostagar, now thick with darkspawn encamped amidst the snow. (2) An opportunity to regain the lost arms and armor of a king. (3) A second chance to add Dog to your party. To find the survivor: (1) Play through Dragon Age: Origins until after the village of Lothering. (2) Travel to Bann Loren's Lands along the Bannorn's northwest border. There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

Peff

Nothing yet, but apparently it's about an hour long if you try to find everything and has some nice weapons. Sounds like Warden's Keep, more or less.

There is also an update for the 360 version of the game, but some people on the bioware boards are claiming that their unlocked specializations are locking after downloading it.

Owzers

hi fellow Dragon Age enjoyers. Just a heads up that the Return to Ostagar is pretty bland. Worth the $5? Maybe. Not really really. It has a nice idea behind it but the execution inbetween the two great and very short moments is very repetitive/poorly done. And it is indeed REALLY short. If you aren't crazy about another short quest that's kinda boring, i'd pass and wait till the expansion.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
sillymonkey321 said:
hi fellow Dragon Age enjoyers. Just a heads up that the Return to Ostagar is pretty bland. Worth the $5? Maybe. Not really really. It has a nice idea behind it but the execution inbetween the two great and very short moments is very repetitive/poorly done. And it is indeed REALLY short. If you aren't crazy about another short quest that's kinda boring, i'd pass and wait till the expansion.

Hm.

On one hand, I hate useless horse armor DLC. On the other hand, I love Dragon Age.

...oh, wait. It doesn't matter what I think, because I have it for the PC and it's still not out.

Wallach

WanderingWind said:
Hm.

On one hand, I hate useless horse armor DLC. On the other hand, I love Dragon Age.

...oh, wait. It doesn't matter what I think, because I have it for the PC and it's still not out.

It'll be up later today.

Unfortunately, it sounds like this was brought about by an error on MS' part. This appears to be the version they didn't want to release previously, but MS just put it up anyway.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
sillymonkey321 said:

I personally thought it was good for 5 bucks.

Especially if you're rolling with you-know-who.

PusherT

So what power to the Grey Wardons gain by drinking the demon's blood, my character didn't recieve any new powers from doing it except he lived?

wow that was over quick. very little in the way of actual story, though given the scenario its not surprising

some interesting loot, particularly
boots with +20% dodge, so is that equal to rogue evasion skill?

Owzers

cleveridea said:
wow that was over quick. very little in the way of actual story, though given the scenario its not surprising

some interesting loot, particularly
boots with +20% dodge, so is that equal to rogue evasion skill?

You basically whack a few orcs on the head and then it ends. If anything it's more sentimental quality than actual " this is fun to play" quality.

PusherT

cleveridea said:
be patient

and get downloading :lol
Yeah I just started the PS3 version "god I wish I had a decent gaming computer" I'm at the ostegar ruins and I have to light the flame at the tower. The blood drinking ritual just seemed odd to me
poor sir jorey should've drank the blood and is that dragon you see in his vision the the Archdemon
:D

Top Bottom