• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Edgeward

Schopenhauer said:
There is also an update for the 360 version of the game, but some people on the bioware boards are claiming that their unlocked specializations are locking after downloading it.

Aw shit, this better be not true/fixed when it is live for ps3.

Rufus

You have an Epilogue-Save that drops you into the world somewhere. If you leave the area you automatically go to your camp, from where you can go to DLC areas exclusively.

Macmanus

I guess I have nothing to really compair it to, but I recommend going through Return to Ostagar with
Logain
in your party.

It's really hard to judge if this DLC was worth it. The loot is alright I guess but the story elements, specifically the inner character dialog, is what really makes it. However it really feels like content that was just gutted from the full release. This quest line felt like it should have been boxed in with the game. Not something people should miss out on because the refuse to be nickle and dimed by EA.

The combat was pretty damned easy when you're so late in the game, but doing it much earlier would probably dilute the intended emotional impact of the quest.

Most people are saying it takes about an hour to get through, but since I'm very methodical in everything I do from combat to exploration I stretched it to a little over two hours.

All in all I liked it, but it feels like the weakest of the three content packs that Bioware has put out. Shale offered a unique and interesting character with a neat side quest. The Warden's Keep offered an awesome sword and additional storage, and this just adds another quest line that feels intentionally broken off from the original story.

This morning a title update on the Xbox 360 for Dragon Age: Origins was made available in preparation for the release of Return to Ostagar. This title update introduced a previously undetected issue that causes specialization classes to not work correctly in Dragon Age: Origins. We are removing Return to Ostagar from Xbox Live until the issue is resolved and are recommending that you do not download the title update. If you have already performed the update, we apologize for this and are working hard to ensure a fix is available as soon as possible.

We will provide more information to you when it is available.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/9/index/608506

Wallach

Snapshot King said:
I find it bizarre the DLC didn't come out on PC first. Especially since the 360 DLC is apparently mad buggy.

They didn't want MS to release RtO to begin with. It was Microsoft's error, so they tried to run with it and see if they could make do. I doubt the PC release will happen tonight.

KGKK

Banned
Played and beat the game on PS3, I loved it!!
Got so engrossed with it's world and characters. I wish I could have played it on PC so I could have gotten into more of the tactical side of things. Main party for majority of the game was Morrigan, Alistair and Leliana. Loved the banter between them. Man I must have missed out on a lot of stuff because when I was at the end I checked the % completed and it said only 64% and I had already put like 60+ hours into it, got to level 22 at the end of the game and did all the side quests that were available to me. Got the "Traveler" trophy too. I still did have a lot of the plot items left still so I'm sure I missed some side quests but 45% worth? Wow.

I played it as a City Elf rouge. Will play again in a few months so it can be fresh in my mind again. Plan to play as a Dwarf. Can Dwarves be mages in the game?

Fully recommend it on the PS3, sure the game has some weird difficulty spike where you can take on a main story horde of enemies and bosses but random encounters fuck your shit straight up and the gameplay itself is not satisfying as Demon's Soul but it is still one of the best RPG's I played this gen.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm almost 40 hours in and I'm
in Ozamar (sp). I just killed Jarvia
I truly love this game. I don't know what it is about this game but I fucking love it and it is one of the best I've ever played and that is no hyperbole.

Toki767

I feel like out of all the origin stories, the Human Noble and Dwarf Noble stories are the ones that really make you want to continue playing the game from a story perspective to kick some ass.

The others I don't think were as engaging from a story perspective, but the game's just too addicting to put down. :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So when exactly is Return to Ostagar supposed to be released on the PC?

Owzers

Toki767 said:
I feel like out of all the origin stories, the Human Noble and Dwarf Noble stories are the ones that really make you want to continue playing the game from a story perspective to kick some ass.

The others I don't think were as engaging from a story perspective, but the game's just too addicting to put down. :lol

So far i played human noble male and city elf female and i definitely prefer human noble. Eventually i want to try a mage and dwarf noble but i like my human noble character and am excited for the expansion to play it as him and then make the new orlesian warden.

Atrus

Gold Member
Toki767 said:

Out of all of the origins, I'd rank them as:

Human noble, Dwarf Noble, Dwarf Commoner, City Elf, Mage Tower, Dalish Elf.

Orzimaar is better developed than the rest of the game while the Human Noble accents the immediate story best. The mage tower is not very interesting and doesn't really tie into the rest of the plot like the others. The City Elf was a bit more interesting while the Dalish origin story flat out sucked.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Snapshot King said:
I find it bizarre the DLC didn't come out on PC first. Especially since the 360 DLC is apparently mad buggy.

I'm pretty sure all versions had to be delayed because of the bug - it wasn't a platform exclusive bug. Microsoft just found it during their QA with the game and told BioWare who then promptly delayed all versions of the game to fix the bug. That does lead me to wonder if the 360 version was fixed or if it wasn't because RtO was apparently released prematurely on the 360.

EDIT: Apparently it wasn't fixed...This is kind of bad because I downloaded RtO and I also downloaded the title update. >.<

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
WaltJay said:
FYI, looks like the Return to Ostagar DLC is up, at least for the 360.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/games/offers/0ccf0017-0000-4000-8000-0000454108c0?cid=SLink
Is it just me or is this showing up as free? :lol In theory you could download now, delete it, then just re-download for free when the 'fixed' version goes up. :lol :lol

4273687556_b81180f95b_o.jpg

4273690094_175fdc394b_o.jpg

web01

As first I thought there was something wrong with my PC when I was getting bad framerate running this game, but ive been doing some testing and I can run games like Crysis substantially better than this which is really pissing me off.

cjelly said:
Is it just me or is this showing up as free? :lol In theory you could download now, delete it, then just re-download for free when the 'fixed' version goes up. :lol :lol
"This offer is not valid in your region, or has expired"

:(

I'm sort of conflicted at the moment. I just got Shale (despite pre-ordering the game before launch I've barely played any of the game), but after finding out he's a tank-type character I don't know what to do. I've set up Alister as my tank and I want to keep him in my party for his amazing humor, but Shale seems better for gameplay purposes. Also, who uses the dog in their party? I'm getting a feeling to replace the dog with Morrigan, leaving Wynne, Alister/Shale and I (rogue). What's you opinion on this, guys?

As an aside, is it possible for
Alister to leave the party? After doing the Redcliffe storyline and the Arl proposing that Alister 'contest' the throne in a landsmeet, he seems sort of vital to the plot. He seems to disagree with most things I do (dude, who gives a fuck about that girl, let the kitty possess her!) and I've already had a confrontation with him about me killing Connor at Redcliffe so it seems entirely possible that you could get him to leave, right? No spoilers, of course, just a simple yes or no will do.

Toki767

Orbitcube said:
I'm sort of conflicted at the moment. I just got Shale (despite pre-ordering the game before launch I've barely played any of the game), but after finding out he's a tank-type character I don't know what to do. I've set up Alister as my tank and I want to keep him in my party for his amazing humor, but Shale seems better for gameplay purposes. Also, who uses the dog in their party? I'm getting a feeling to replace the dog with Morrigan, leaving Wynne, Alister/Shale and I (rogue). What's you opinion on this, guys?

As an aside, is it possible for
Alister to leave the party? After doing the Redcliffe storyline and the Arl proposing that Alister 'contest' the throne in a landsmeet, he seems sort of vital to the plot. He seems to disagree with most things I do (dude, who gives a fuck about that girl, let the kitty possess her!) and I've already had a confrontation with him about me killing Connor at Redcliffe so it seems entirely possible that you could get him to leave, right? No spoilers, of course, just a simple yes or no will do.

I think in terms of humor, Shale surpasses Alistair with the things she says. As far as combat goes, it's a toss up for me. Shale makes a very mean tank though. I think most people say she's the best tank in the game. Haven't had much experience with the dog so I can't really say. I made my rogue an Archer which made for a really nice range character.

As for your question,
Yes, it is possible for him to leave your party depending on the choices you make later on.

Spoiler responds to the post above:
Yes, you can get Alistair out of the party. Bonus, you get an identical character to replace him when it happens.

Also, I used the dog the entire time. He was great, but I also played on easy (due to not having a healer in the party and having my only means of healing as Morrigan with Heal and some potions. Yeah, I played it all wrong). He has some nifty abilities, but its nothing the other tanking characters cant do better, not to mention they get to equip a lot more stuff.

Rufus

Shale can be DPS, too. At the end you will have maxed his abilities, and if you didn't min-max his attributes too much you can switch freely between tank and DPS.

Yes, though not in the way you might think.
All other companions have a sort of crisis moment where a 'wrong' decision on your part will make them leave or outright attack you. Alistair's crisis moment is very late in the game and he will never attack you for what you do. You two are the last Grey Wardens in Ferelden, so he has to tag along for better or worse.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, this patch thing is ridiculous.

They fixed the achievement problem - which is great, even though I needed to recovery my gamertag and do crap like that - but then the patch breaks specializations and borks another achievement... leading them to pull the patch.

I hope they'll have this sorted out after they re-release RtO.

Oh god, I am utterly paralyzed by the Orzammar quest line.
I honestly don't know who to go for. I'll just play out the Bhelen line to be fair to my sister and unborn nephew, but all the public's word seems to portray Harrowmont as a better leader.

Also, I cam upon a weird 'sequence break', of sorts. If you
sign up for the proving for Harrowmont, but don't actually go in and then do the Bhelen quests, when you go back to Vartag, he says that you're Harrowmont's champion and accuses you of being a traitor. Luckily I had high enough cunning and the ability to weasel my way out of that.

Huh, it's interesting how the Orzammar plot line intertwines with the Dwarven Commoner Origins story (
man fuck Leske, he's such a bitch
). Does the same happen with any of the other Origins stories? I can see it happening for Human mages and Elves, but not too much else.

Ventrue

Orbitcube said:
Huh, it's interesting how the Orzammar plot line intertwines with the Dwarven Commoner Origins story (
man fuck Leske, he's such a bitch
). Does the same happen with any of the other Origins stories? I can see it happening for Human mages and Elves, but not too much else.

It's best for the Dwarf Nobles. Dalish Elf has the weakest link. Mage is a little weak in my opinion, City Elf does a fairly good job. The rest I can't speak to.

Ventrue said:
It's best for the Dwarf Nobles. Dalish Elf has the weakest link. Mage is a little weak in my opinion, City Elf does a fairly good job. The rest I can't speak to.
Huh, I'm quite surprised at that, they seem like given their relevance with some of the plot lines that there'd be more there. Oh well, the range of dialogue you could probably get depending on all this stuff is just staggering.

Ventrue

Orbitcube said:
Huh, I'm quite surprised at that, they seem like given their relevance with some of the plot lines that there'd be more there. Oh well, the range of dialogue you could probably get depending on all this stuff is just staggering.
Well, with the Dalish, you're from a different tribe. So they're just like 'oh you're Dalish too, huh?' Mage is considerably better, but given the state of things when you arrive there isn't a whole lot of chit chat with people you know. Dwarf Noble and City Elf both have stable environments that you are 'from' and where you know people.

ethelred

roxya said:
Like when you're recruiting Shale and you tell him to
attack Alistair
. I thought it was funny, but he didn't :(

I liked that scene a lot. It reminded me of a certain scene in Final Fantasy Tactics.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ventrue said:
Well, with the Dalish, you're from a different tribe. So they're just like 'oh you're Dalish too, huh?' Mage is considerably better, but given the state of things when you arrive there isn't a whole lot of chit chat with people you know. Dwarf Noble and City Elf both have stable environments that you are 'from' and where you know people.

Of course, the Human Noble origin story is tied very closely to the main plot.

God I'm so addicted to this game. Keep staying up WAAAY to late playing...just totally lose track of time. Already put like 20 hours in and I'm only in the process of recruiting my second group (dealing with the elves at the moment).

Toki767

firehawk12 said:
Of course, the Human Noble origin story is tied very closely to the main plot.
I definitely preferred the origin stories that were more integrated into the main plot instead of ones like the Dalish Elf origin which just comes out of nowhere.

Okay, that last NPC before what I presume is the final boss (
I'm at the door to the second floor of Fort Drakon
) is pretty awesome. :lol :lol
Who knew that
that slow kid from camp could turn out to be a fucking beast at killing darkspawn (probably).
Also,
ENCHANTMENT!
. It's also nice, because I forgot to
put on 2 pretty awesome runes that I got earlier.
So that's nice of them.

Samara

Don't trust what this game says.

SPOILERS*

When Morrigan tells you to kill
her mother
and go alone...well okay I did. Dead in less than a second. Second time I bring doggy along, you cause he's neutral. Also: dead. Im like well if I bring X or Y they are going to hate me or whatever. So I said F that brought Wynne, Lelianna , and my man Alistair rode that thang like a mechanic bull on the third go :lol

Edgeward

Spoilers

So I sided with the
Templars
and going to side with the
wolves and Brahnka
as well, mainly for the trophies. My question is that is okay to run with that for the final battle? I keep reading how if I choose this I won't have a ranged class, is it really important to have one?

freddy

Banned
Edgeward said:
Not really. The final stages depend a lot more on how you have levelled and set up your party. I didn't even use any of therm until the last two stages. Mainly because I was too busy and forgot about it. :D

Chris R

So I'm having a big issue. I've finally talented enough of the Beserker class to use it with no penalty on Allister, who is my main tank, but for some reason it never stays on. I turn it on, and then like 20 seconds later it turns it self off. It is a sustained talent so it should stay on :| Any clue what is wrong here? I only have 3 tactics on him, nothing to do with this one ability, so why isn't it staying activated :<

freddy

Banned
Berserk is a real problem. It seems to be a combat only sustained skill yet it can be switched off if you're hit with by paralyse and stun during combat. I think it's something Bioware changed their mind on late in the process and it's left some issues. It's an awesome skill for your main character especially if you dual weild but not something I'd use with one of my party.

Edit: you might be able to work around it by reactivating with a tactic. I cant check now because I'm on Linux.

Top Bottom