• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

This is kind of bizarre, but I think you can unlock PC achievements for this game even if you don't have the PC version. I was looking at my profile on the Bioware social site today and I saw a bunch of achievements I didn't recognize. I checked, and they are all PC only, and I've only ever played the PS3 version. Or maybe it's a website glitch. But if not it could add some extra stuff to do if anyone has platinumed it already, though you'd only be able to see them on the social site. I don't think it's a glitch though, as I didn't get all the achievements, just the ones I've actually completed in the game.

Prine

Banned
DangerousMali said:
did the red cliff missions, danish elves, mages

was really excited to start the dwarfs stuff, but eugh

it's gone downhill thanks to the deeproads, anyone else the same ?

Exactly how i feel, i stopped playing because of the dull, boring missions that awaits me. Stupid midgets with axes, i hate them all.

heringer said:
Man, the loot in this game is so lame. 99% of what I found is useless crap.

Yea, I rarely changed my characters gear because the gear in the game was mostly useless or not much different from each other. Warriors seem to get the most upgrading of anyone when it comes to gear, but for like mages for example, you rarely have to change much gear.

RPGCrazied

it will open up a spot for you to visit on the world map

I just got wardens keep an return of ostagar yesterday. They are pretty short.

I think warden's keep is worth it for storage, and the smexy wardens armor you get. Return to Ostagar is meh I thought

Hari Seldon said:
So how does Return to Ostagar work if you beat the game?

Yes. I'm pretty sure all DLC is available even after you beat the game. You can reload your finished game save and still go to DLC locations on your map.

EDIT: Beaten.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So like, I can't get the duplication glitch to work but I can get the gold trick to work. PS3, anybody got any tips?

Loxley

Hey guys, I have a quick question regarding the PC version, more specifically saved games. I played through the first 12 or so hours of the game on a laptop since I was away from home (e.i. - from my desktop PC), so I was wondering if it was possible to grab my saved game file from my laptop and just plop it into desktop.

I guess what I'm asking is, where exactly are the saved games located within the depths of the DA file? I can't seem to find'em. Thanks in advance for any help :D

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure someone has pointed this out already but the map in the background on the loading screen is Baldur's Gate right?

The ship on the right looks like the Sea's Bounty and just next to it is the Harbour Master's Building.

After not being about to enjoy this game on my Macbook Pro I decided to buy it for my new PS3. As Baldur's Gate I & II are my favourite games of all time I am having a blast.

koji

Ok, I'm not sure this has been posted here...

Behold!

18151_1311971286779_1455545570_851826_6204975_n.jpg

ENCHANTMENT!

Samara

koji said:

Behold!

ENCHANTMENT!

Why is there a banana on the bed :/

Also I think Im done with this game, I cant beat the final bosses. Fucking impossible. Also read that
Allistair
dies at the end, so fuck that. Seriously.

sweetwasabi said:
Why is there a banana on the bed :/

Also I think Im done with this game, I cant beat the final bosses. Fucking impossible. Also read that
Allistair

you chose your own ending, theres 3

sweetwasabi said:
Allistair

Same, i just cant get passed it.

It's amazing how your team mates drop like flys on this battle, but they pretty much own on the route towards final.

Even the back up guys last longer, i can tell I'm going to have to fluke this to somehow view the final cutscenes.

Any advice from ArchdemonGaf is appreciated.

Jobias

DangerousMali said:

It's amazing how your team mates drop like flys on this battle, but they pretty much own on the route towards final.

Even the back up guys last longer, i can tell I'm going to have to fluke this to somehow view the final cutscenes.

Are you using the ballistas? They help a lot, and some of them are placed at natural chokepoints to help you handle the constant spawns.

sadaiyappan

I just finished the Ostagar Tower of Ishal quest. I got Morrigon. Now what order should I get the treaties in? Which order is the easiest?

ntropy

DangerousMali said:

greater spirit balm and legion of dead dwarves

Mad_Ban

Is there still no news of Return to Ostagar PS3? I can't find anything about it on google or in this thread (last 3 pages)/

For the final boss battle.

• Use the ballistas as much as you can when the Archdemon flies out of melee range.
  • Don't use your armies prior to that point so each army has 100% of its units available
  • Stock up on as many healing and mana potions as possible prior to the battle
  • Bring Wynne and have her pump out buff / healing spells. Hopefully you've trained her in the spirit healer line so she has access to the resurrection spell. If so make sure she doesn't croak because its the only way to bring back any of your fallen companions.
  • Worst case scenario no shame in lowering the difficulty

Sascha23

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
I think warden's keep is worth it for storage, and the smexy wardens armor you get. Return to Ostagar is meh I thought

Sounds like Awakening will be the only expansion I purchase for it. I prefer something a bit meatier with expansions and for the price, it doesn't make sense for the DLC.

DangerousMali said:

Use the ballistas and the platforms w/ choke points. Remember that only rogues can fix the ballistas when they jam. Also, get some armor w/ spirit resistance or get some balm going because all the damage from the archdemon is spirit damage, iirc.
Sadaiyappan said:
I just finished the Ostagar Tower of Ishal quest. I got Morrigon. Now what order should I get the treaties in? Which order is the easiest?
I did:
Elves, Mage's Tower, then Dwarves.
Wasn't too bad.

Sascha23

Banned
Mad_Ban said:
Is there still no news of Return to Ostagar PS3? I can't find anything about it on google or in this thread (last 3 pages)/

Bioware has it listed as "Coming Soon" so that should be within the next month.

Owzers

Sir Garbageman said:

• Use the ballistas as much as you can when the Archdemon flies out of melee range.
  • Don't use your armies prior to that point so each army has 100% of its units available
  • Stock up on as many healing and mana potions as possible prior to the battle
  • Bring Wynne and have her pump out buff / healing spells. Hopefully you've trained her in the spirit healer line so she has access to the resurrection spell. If so make sure she doesn't croak because its the only way to bring back any of your fallen companions.
  • Worst case scenario no shame in lowering the difficulty

Also use the Corruption Headgear that you find prior to the battle as it reduces Spirit Damage taken by 70%. Made a HUGE difference keeping my tank alive.

Sadaiyappan said:

There's no "right" way because there is a certain amount of enemy level scaling throughout the game. With that said I remember an article where there is a certain level range for each of the treaty locations so some might be more difficult than others, especially during the beginning. Iirc from easiest to hardest it was
Redcliife, Mage Tower, Elves, Dwarves

Doytch

Sadaiyappan said:
They scale, with a level floor. Just don't do the dwarves first and you should be fine. And don't hit Denerim first either. That was my mistake, ignoring the game's advice.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
A quick question regarding Wynne.

I just finished the Circle of Magi quest and I turned down Wynne's offer to join my party (hey I felt bad stealing one of the few mages left from the circle). Wynne said that her offer still stands and that I could find her in the tower. I quickly changed my mind but I cannot find her anywhere in the tower! Any idea where she is or is this a bug?

Thanks

Rufus

Sir Garbageman said:
There's no "right" way because there is a certain amount of enemy level scaling throughout the game. With that said I remember an article where there is a certain level range for each of the treaty locations so some might be more difficult than others, especially during the beginning. Iirc from easiest to hardest it was
Redcliife, Mage Tower, Elves, Dwarves
http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/challenge_scaling

Edgeward

Hit Mage tower first for the free attritbute points you get, you can get 5 cunning by the end of it and be lvl 4 coercion without spending any level up points into it.

Tokubetsu

Edgeward said:
Hit Mage tower first for the free attritbute points you get, you can get 5 cunning by the end of it and be lvl 4 coercion without spending any level up points into it.

Yea I recommend mage tower first as well. It's a bit long and might be rough in a few spots but its manageable and the free attribute points you get early on are completely worth it.

YoungHav said:
around how many hours is this game?

30+ Easy. My first playthrough was 55 hours on the save with an actual 76 recorded from Steam.

If you play at a "normal" pace it should take you 40+ hours easy. My 1st playthrough doing all DLC areas and a good chunk of the sidequests clocked in me at over 60 hrs according to STEAM.

Edgeward said:
Techinically 4, according to the perfectionist achievement.

And
Alistair
won't die if
Morrigan didn't leave your party

i only had to do 3 endings for the cheeve, most likely because you can
make the ultimate sacrifice 2 ways. Sacrifice yourself or another graywarden

But yes, technically 4, you are correct

Ashodin

Replaying the game with my City Elf. I keep forgetting you gotta play the game through a bajillion times to get all the endings.

Ashour

Hey guys I have a question which is a spoiler:
So Morgan asked me to kill her mother. what's the pros and cons of doing so?

Ashour said:
Hey guys I have a question which is a spoiler:
So Morgan asked me to kill her mother. what's the pros and cons of doing so?

The only con about killing her mother is that she is A DRAGON. But you get Morrigans next outfit which has some nice stats as well as Flemeth's grimoire. You can avoid killing Flemeth by making a deal with her, but I would not advise it because it is alluded that Flemeth will hunt down and eventually kill Morrigan. Plus the battle is fun and its always satisfying to kill a dragon.

FLEABttn

Banned
I tried the buy/sell/trade thread to no avail, but if someone here has a spare and unused Stone Prisoner PS3 DLC key they want to sell for $7-$10, PM me please.

ajim

koji said:

Behold!

ENCHANTMENT!
:lol :lol WTF. I'm about 28 hours into the game and DREAD coming to this little dude because he annoys me (even tho I need his ENCHANTMENTS).

Amazing game. But I don't think I'm very good at it lol

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Sir Garbageman said:
[*]
Don't use your armies prior to that point so each army has 100% of its units available

you're right but I dont recommend doing it on higher difficulties, you're most likely gonna need their help fighting the zerg of enemies..though you should try your best to save the archers for the last encounter.

Ashour

Alpha-Bromega said:
The only con about killing her mother is that she is A DRAGON. But you get Morrigans next outfit which has some nice stats as well as Flemeth's grimoire. You can avoid killing Flemeth by making a deal with her, but I would not advise it because it is alluded that Flemeth will hunt down and eventually kill Morrigan. Plus the battle is fun and its always satisfying to kill a dragon.
I see. Thanks allot.

RDreamer

I am really torn right now. I really don't want to play through DA again (just played through twice in a row), but I'm being taunted by the 94% in my trophy thing. I'm only missing getting a warrior to level 20 and romancing Alistair (and thus also the trophy for romancing everyone). If I do play it again I also don't know whether to put it on easy to breeze through everything as quickly as possible or put it on hard so I get a different experience from my first two playthroughs....

dock

I'm considering getting this game, but I've never played a bioware game before. I found the dialogue in Diablo 2 and Torchlight to be boring (I only played a couple of hours of each), but I could cope with the conversations in Oblivion. Do you think I should give it a go?

Are there any tips for novice players?

RDreamer

dock said:
I'm considering getting this game, but I've never played a bioware game before. I found the dialogue in Diablo 2 and Torchlight to be boring (I only played a couple of hours of each), but I could cope with the conversations in Oblivion. Do you think I should give it a go?

Well, Diablo 2 and Torchlight are really focused on the loot and the dungeon crawling. Their conversations/stories are really minimal. I'd say if you could get through conversations in Oblivion (which I didn't like at all... thought all the characters lacked personality), you should be able to like this. Dragon Age is a lot more story driven than Oblivion, though You're given a lot of freedom, but in comparison to Oblivion it's a lot less.

As for tips: Don't use auto level, and don't put any constitution into pretty much any character (except Shale), since that stat sucks.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
dock said:
Diablo doesnt really have dialogue.. Torchlight i havent played. Oblivions is a super simple version of whats in these kinds of games. If you havent played a game like this, you cant go wrong with Dragon Age. If the videos have piqued your interest i say give it a shot.

Get it for PC if you have a computer that can run it. Other than that, first time game like this try playing on Normal or Easy difficulty and ramp it up if you find you are handling the battles fine.

Here are some tips me, Rufus and Edgeward mentioned a few pages back:
  • Mages are so good to the point of being overpowered, make sure to bring at least one along. Spells like cone of cold, crushing prison and heal are all very useful.
  • If you have a rogue with backstab in your squad, make sure to position them behind an enemy for extra damage (black area of the circle highlighting the enemy)
  • Putting skill points into coercion is a good way to keep some of your companions happy and avoid some fights, get extra rewards after quests, etc.
  • In big encounters where enemies are off screen, don't go charging in. Aggro smaller groups and take them out piecemeal (a little cheap but it works).
  • Keep enemies focused on your tank character by equipping them with heavy armor and using skills that get their attention like taunt.
  • Make taking out enemy mages a priority.
  • Craft potions if you find yourself running out all the time. (Merchants who have a 99 pieces of anything in stock have an infinite supply, keep that in mind if you need materials. Morrigan comes with one point in Herbalism, so she will do that if you don't have anybody else.)
  • Configure all party members to chuck potions if their health falls below a certain percentage.
  • Save often. (Is there a Quick Save on the console versions? If so, use that. Love it.)
  • Also, using a two handed sword is inferior compared to dual wielding, shield/sword or bows. Plus you can get two guys who use two handers.
  • Rogues - focus on cunning; lethality can use cunning to substitute for attack power.
  • Mages - focus on magic; the arcane warrior spec from Brecilain ruins can convert MAG into STR even allowing your mage to wear heavy equipment.
  • Rogue archer w/ cunning builds plus Arrow of Slaying? MASSIVE DAMAGE.
  • Learn to trek back at times like when tackling a long ass dungeon to sell off the useless junk you encounter, it will be a main source of income.
  • If you have trouble with Dragons, bring Shale. Made exactly for those fuckers.

Effect

Are there any issues one would face with buying the PC version of the game used? Serial key needed to activate? Connect online? Etc?

Thinking of trying the game again but instead of rebuying the console version I figured I'd go for the PC version instead to have more control over the characters.

Thanks

RDreamer

Effect said:
Are there any issues one would face with buying the PC version of the game used? Serial key needed to activate? Connect online? Etc?

Thinking of trying the game again but instead of rebuying the console version I figured I'd go for the PC version instead to have more control over the characters.

Thanks

You wouldn't get The Stone Prisoner and Dragon Armor DLC. The armor, while good, wouldn't be that big of a deal, but The Stone Prisoner is pretty awesome to have for free. The character it gives you, Shale, is a beast of a tank.

Effect

RDreamer said:
You wouldn't get The Stone Prisoner and Dragon Armor DLC. The armor, while good, wouldn't be that big of a deal, but The Stone Prisoner is pretty awesome to have for free. The character it gives you, Shale, is a beast of a tank.

They can still be bought though in the end? Was wondering as you never know with PC games with DRM and all that.

Top Bottom