• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

ThePeacemaker02 said:
After hearing about this game on podcasts and the praise they give it I have a question that's probably been answered in this thread but whatever. :D How is the 360 version? Mass Effect reignited my RPG love and once I finish the second one I would like to start up a new RPG. I figured I would rather go with more of a fantasy game than another shooting type like Fallout 3.

Haven't seen the console versions in action, but based on all accounts, if you have a computer that can run it, get the PC version, since that's the version that wasn't compromised, and the only way to play it Baldur's Gate style, of which of course this game is a spiritual descendant. I don't even mind not being able to play it smoothly at 1280x720.

charsace

HK-47 said:
they had free rein to run wild with their own fantasy setting, and its a boring LotR/FR world, but without the cool stuff from those worlds, like the crazy cosmology of FR (well not anymore...). Where did the nature elf cliche come from anyway? Was it DnD cause the LotR elves were not like that? Even the ones that lived in the fucking forest.
They tried to keep a lot of the game more grounded like you see in gritty fantasy books. Gritty fantasy has fantasy elements, but for the most part they try to keep most things grounded.

Speevy

Banned
I don't really know what you guys are saying, but developers have been terrified of the fantasy world cliché for three generations now. It has come to the point where the swords-and-sorcery RPG is very hard to find.

This isn't 1996. They're free to do it again.

Merguson

Banned
So.. I've finished the game and I'm looking to replay it soon. I have to ask about the DLC.

Are the DLC Warden's Keep and Return to Ostagar worth it?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm gonna wait on Ostagar until I finish ME2 but Warden's Keep was a decent quest, you'll be able to get a few items and bonuses from it + a place to store your shit. The only problem is that it's like $8, which is a little much for a 1-2 quest, so you should only buy it if you really enjoy Dragon Age (like me).

markatisu

Merguson said:
So.. I've finished the game and I'm looking to replay it soon. I have to ask about the DLC.

I liked Warden's Keep, its worth it alone for the storage (if you have a console version especially) but I thought the story part was well done.

And of course you will be able to make Starfang

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Merguson said:

Wardens Keep is a nice quest chain but not worth it for 7 bucks. If you need storage, get the camp storage mod. Even Bioware realized how stupid an idea it was, cause they made the mod.

Unless you have the console version...then I feel sorry for you.

I am up to...

Fighting Branka and the Golems. I decided to destroy the Anvil.

This fight is a fucking bitch!!! Actually either choice on who to fight = bitch fight honestly.

10 times I've attempted it, and 10 times I've gotten wtfpwned. I try switching to Morrigan to use to cone of blizzard or what ever it's called, but because it's such a cluster fuck of a fight, half my team get caught in it :p

My team consists of...

My duel wielding Rogue (lvl 15 iirc), Morrigan, Wynn (on heals) and the Dorf Warrior. I knew I should have kept Alistair and not switched him for the Dwarf.

Anyone have any tips?

I think all my current save files are in that dungeon (so I can't reload and re-do the whole thing with a new team) and I can't backtrack to swap party members either.

Playing it on 360 btw.

Samurai Penguin said:
I am up to...

This fight is a fucking bitch!!! Actually either choice on who to fight = bitch fight honestly.

10 times I've attempted it, and 10 times I've gotten wtfpwned. I try switching to Morrigan to use to cone of blizzard or what ever it's called, but because it's such a cluster fuck of a fight, half my team get caught in it :p

My team consists of...

My duel wielding Rogue (lvl 15 iirc), Morrigan, Wynn (on heals) and the Dorf Warrior. I knew I should have kept Alistair and not switched him for the Dwarf.

Anyone have any tips?

I think all my current save files are in that dungeon (so I can't reload and re-do the whole thing with a new team) and I can't backtrack to swap party members either.

Playing it on 360 btw.
Sleep + Walking Nightmare is a good CC tactic with Morrigan. Also, the Lyrium veins can be used during the fight to restore some mana/health.

Death Hex or Misdirection Hex on
Branka
works too.

heringer

Man, console owners got shafted this time, because not only te game looks pretty bad, but it runs horribly too. I don't mind the graphics, but the framerate really is a pain (PS3 version). Oh well, I guess I will have to get used to.

Just played through the origin of the noble human and the slave elf.

I thought the elf's story was much cooler.

Anyway, I don't know if I pick Warrior or Rogue. I like the concept of a rogue, but it doesn't sound too much fun playing as one. Someone care to explain me to what his gameplay will boils down?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Samurai Penguin said:
I am up to...

My team consists of...

Anyone have any tips?

Playing it on 360 btw.

Is your dwarf a tank ? I think you need a solid tank for this fight because they all hit pretty hard, also try using cone of cold to freeze multiple targets, It's basically my win button. yeah and you should keep switching between Morrigan and Wynn to CC and keep the tank healed, the AI can be pretty dumb sometimes on Wynn even with macros.

I like the concept of a rogue, but it doesn't sound too much fun playing as one. Someone care to explain me to what his gameplay will boils down

w/e you do man, do NOT spec your rogue a ranger, it's SO freakin' boring and you'll have like one animation for attacking.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Ugh, I thought I was finally starting to do well, but now every time I go between towns I get stuck in an overwhelming battle. I was heading from the Brecilian Forest to Denirim, and suddenly I'm in a battle with over a dozen darkspawn archer types, and several Shrieks. I've just barely turned level 9 :(

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
^ you're probably already doing it, but just making sure. try using shield cover it totally owns archers.

sublime085 said:
Sleep + Walking Nightmare is a good CC tactic with Morrigan. Also, the Lyrium veins can be used during the fight to restore some mana/health.

Death Hex or Misdirection Hex on
Branka
works too.

I am not 100% sure if Morrigan has those spells or not. I'll check when I play next.

Yurt said:
Is your dwarf a tank ? I think you need a solid tank for this fight because they all hit pretty hard, also try using cone of cold to freeze multiple targets, It's basically my win button. yeah and you should keep switching between Morrigan and Wynn to CC and keep the tank healed, the AI can be pretty dumb sometimes on Wynn even with macros.

The Dwarf is a Warrior with a 2h item, but he's really not tank spec'd. He's pretty crappy geared I think. Not like Alistair.

I try switching between characters, especially between Wynn and Morrigan, but I find the Dwarf dies real quickly, and so do I.

I tend to find I last no more then @2 minutes from when the fight commences.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
ah dammit, yeah 2h wont cut it. switch to a 1h/shield combo and try kiting some of them with Morrigan, spam Cone of Cold, Mind Blast and the other CC spells, I assume you're playing on Normal right? it's still possible with potion chugging. Basically my strategy with all the big fights is getting rid of the adds first and dealing with the elites/boss later.

Anyone know how to fix the Shale 'fuck the game up' glitch? It only started in Dwarf Land, I haven't left yet so I'm not sure if its fully busted anywhere else. The problem is that if I talk to him it reverts back to as if you've just met him in dialog and then you get transported out of the map into black space.

Separate but related question
does bringing Shale to find Branka garner any relevant plot points at all? The only reason I'm taking him is because everyone keeps mentioning Golems and shit so I thought something would happen if I brought him. If not then I'd prefer to take Sten anyway :lol

Oh and Ogarin (sp) wants to fuck Wynn in like every dialog thing they have. In the span of 10 minutes they had 3 separate conversations about it. :lol

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I should be doing hw said:
Separate but related question
does bringing Shale to find Branka garner any relevant plot points at all? The only reason I'm taking him is because everyone keeps mentioning Golems and shit so I thought something would happen if I brought him. If not then I'd prefer to take Sten anyway :lol

Yes,
to get on his good side you have to side with the golems though

Oghren is the man he pretty much flirts with every female in the party :lol
and even your male character in the camp at some point:lol

Yurt said:
Yes,
to get on his good side you have to side with the golems though

Oghren is the man he pretty much flirts with every female in the party :lol
and even your male character in the camp at some point:lol
I knew this game wouldn't let me down on that. Any chance of finding a fix for this bustedness though?

Just bought Return to Ostagar! Downloading now :D
Another question, will Awakening (whenever it comes out...soon?) have a disk version or will it only be DLC? I've seen a Steam version offered, but can I buy it through the game like the other DLCs or is this a separate expansion?
I'd ultimately prefer a disk version though.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I should be doing hw said:
I knew this game wouldn't let me down on that. Any chance of finding a fix for this bustedness though?

Just bought Return to Ostagar! Downloading now :D
Another question, will Awakening (whenever it comes out...soon?) have a disk version or will it only be DLC? I've seen a Steam version offered, but can I buy it through the game like the other DLCs or is this a separate expansion?
I'd ultimately prefer a disk version though.

try this fix
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/120829/1

thefil

I have the points, but Return to Ostagar is not showing in my available DLC list.

*Edit* Of course, as soon as I post this it showed up. Seems the game is also redownloading Blood Dragon Armor...

Yurt said:
Just found it before, but thanks for the effort sir. :D
I'll see if this works and report back.
I have the points, but Return to Ostagar is not showing in my available DLC list.
That's odd, I live in Aus so I assume we would get updated last. :lol Try quitting and refreshing the DLC section in the game. Bar that, test your internet connection or reboot. The servers have been balls lately because of, what I assume, is ME2.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hmm... might buy Return to Ostagar. I need a short gaming fix and I don't have the time to play ME2 right now =P

Shale is fixed, you just have to reboot to Honneleath is all. No biggie, not 100% if everything I've done with him is rebooted but I don't really care I haven't done much with him yet anyway.

witness

Bought Warden's Keep and RTO yesterday, played and beat them both. I liked Warden's Keep more, but the gear that I got from RTO is effing amazing.
Duncan's sword and dagger put out shit crazy damage and all those rune slots OMG! The DPS armor is rad to for rogues/dps warriors
, my crit rating is at like 19% now :lol

My problem is now that my character is fully badass and looks amazing, is that I can't do anything else since they lock the whole world away after you beat it. I can't go back and play missions I skipped during the main story, just nothing until more DLC comes out or the expansion. Bioware should just release a patch because its pretty ridiculous.

DarthWoo

Yurt said:
^ you're probably already doing it, but just making sure. try using shield cover it totally owns archers.

Ugh, I've been doing that but this fight (which I managed to avoid for a little while by going in a different direction) totally destroys my party. There's just no way for me to win it at my current level, but now it's pretty much unavoidable. I'm still on bloody normal difficulty, which should not be giving me this many problems. Starting to think this game is going into the backlog soon.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
witness said:
Bought Warden's Keep and RTO yesterday, played and beat them both. I liked Warden's Keep more, but the gear that I got from RTO is effing amazing.
Duncan's sword and dagger put out shit crazy damage and all those rune slots OMG! The DPS armor is rad to for rogues/dps warriors
, my crit rating is at like 19% now :lol

My problem is now that my character is fully badass and looks amazing, is that I can't do anything else since they lock the whole world away after you beat it. I can't go back and play missions I skipped during the main story, just nothing until more DLC comes out or the expansion. Bioware should just release a patch because its pretty ridiculous.

How will they force you to buy more DLC then!?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
DarthWoo said:
Ugh, I've been doing that but this fight (which I managed to avoid for a little while by going in a different direction) totally destroys my party. There's just no way for me to win it at my current level, but now it's pretty much unavoidable. I'm still on bloody normal difficulty, which should not be giving me this many problems. Starting to think this game is going into the backlog soon.

haha dont give up dude, its really all about choosing the right combination AND controlling the healer when you need to. I completed the game on all difficulties, and believe it or not, easy was the HARDEST lol. I had no idea what I was doing :lol

DarthWoo

Yurt said:
haha dont give up dude, its really all about choosing the right combination AND controlling the healer when you need to.

Meh, decided to just install the 1.02 patch and things seem to be a bit better now.

Mar

DarthWoo said:
Ugh, I thought I was finally starting to do well, but now every time I go between towns I get stuck in an overwhelming battle. I was heading from the Brecilian Forest to Denirim, and suddenly I'm in a battle with over a dozen darkspawn archer types, and several Shrieks. I've just barely turned level 9 :(

Not that I had much trouble with the random over world encounters. But I remember one particular time that I just killed a high dragon and was wearing some brand new gear that made me almost a god, when a random encounter of a few wolves took down my party in about 20 seconds.

I was flabbergasted.

More amusing than annoying. God knows how that happened.

heringer

Man, I hate Morrigan. Which is funny considering I love Uncharted's Chloe.

I can't help anyone without losing 10 points with her. :lol

Anyway, just got Sten and Leliana in my party. Are they any good? Sten looks like a good tank for now, but he's really annoying so I left him out. Leliana is a rogue, which could be interesting, is she really usefull, even in combat?

I like the war dog too, but I left him out of the party for the time being.

For now my party has Alistair, Morrigan, Leliana... should I made any changes?

Also, is there a point in increasing the cunning of my party members? I mean, doesn't that count only for the main character (since he's responsible for the dialogues)?

Sanic

Question: Would someone who loved KOTOR but isn't crazy about fantasy enjoy DAO? I'm in need of a good RPG but just can't get in to Mass Effect 2 despite my love of sci-fi (I think it's the combat, it just doesn't feel right, and there is too much of it).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think you'll enjoy Dragon Age. It's combat system is somewhat similar to KOTOR and it follows the Bioware formula pretty closely. Go for it.

MechaX

For any rogue character, you'll want to pump as much cunning as possible. A talent called Lethality replaces strength with cunning for weapon equips. Having strength around 20 is good enough for the best armor available for rogues. And that's not even including everything else cunning affects.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
For now my party has Alistair, Morrigan, Leliana... should I made any changes?

so what did you end up choosing heringer ? my answer will depend on your choice.

edit: as in did you pick a warrior or a rogue as your main character?

heringer

Yurt said:
so what did you end up choosing heringer ? my answer will depend on your choice.

edit: as in did you pick a warrior or a rogue as your main character?
I'm playing as a warrior.

I decided to keep Leliana. She help me with lockpicking and is a good support using a crossbow.

So yeah, my party now is me (warrior), Leliana, Morrigan and Alistair.

heringer said:
I'm playing as a warrior.

I decided to keep Leliana. She help me with lockpicking and is a good support using a crossbow.

So yeah, my party now is me (warrior), Leliana, Morrigan and Alistair.

Give Leliana high cunning and a bow with rapid fire and she can do ridiculous amount of damage. Especially if you have shattering shot to take down elites/bosses.

Hyunkel6

Hasphat6462 said:
Give Leliana high cunning and a bow with rapid fire and she can do ridiculous amount of damage. Especially if you have shattering shot to take down elites/bosses.
Or give her max dexterity without rapid fire and she'll do insane criticals. She was my second most powerful character with this build by the end of the game.

For Return to Ostagar do you have to do it before the point of no return. I stayed up all night Thursday beating the game so I could finally get Mass Effect 2.

I hate DLC that essentially makes you do a second playthrough or load an old save instead of offering it as post game content.

Darklord

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
For Return to Ostagar do you have to do it before the point of no return. I stayed up all night Thursday beating the game so I could finally get Mass Effect 2.

I hate DLC that essentially makes you do a second playthrough or load an old save in save of offering it as post game content.

I think I did read you can reload the game after finishing to do DLC.

Rufus

The game will create an Epilogue Save after you beat the game. Load that, and you'll be somewhere in the wilderness, if you leave you end up in camp, from where you can (only) enter DLC areas.

Peff

Relix said:
How's Return to Ostagar? How long? New enemies, cutscenes, voiceover? Anything notable?

About an hour, no new enemies, a few cutscenes and party banter (though I think only if you take Wynne and Alistair with you), a good chunk of the environments are just modified versions of when you were there at the beginning of the game, and the loot is not bad if you haven't finished the game.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Peff said:
About an hour, no new enemies, a few cutscenes and party banter (though I think only if you take Wynne and Alistair with you), a good chunk of the environments are just modified versions of when you were there at the beginning of the game, and the loot is not bad if you haven't finished the game.

Well, seems good enough to tide me over =P. For 5 bucks what more can I ask haha. Just purchased it, I love Dragon Age so what more can I ask :lol

Top Bottom