• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I have a question now that RtO is released on Live for good:

I originally purchased RtO when it came on Live by mistake the first time, apparently it wasn't fixed and now I suppose I still have the glitched version.

Should I delete that and redownload RtO now that it is fixed or is there a title update that fixed it?

Secondly, I also received the title update that was also glitched, is there a title update that fixes that or do I have to do something extra?

Just ran through RtO in about 2-3 hours. It managed to scratch that Dragon Age itch really well. One question though, did anyone do it with
Loghain
? I'm super curious as to how that affects things, I just don't have a save capable of doing it.

Rufus

I did.
He doesn't really want to be there. He also doesn't want to leave Cailan's body to be a trophy for the Darkspawn, but neither does he approve of building a funeral pyre for him. He'd rather have him forgotten, "another casualty of the war" yadda yadda. I'm personally a little disappointed with his reactions, but I didn't really expect anything else from the guy, paranoid old man that he is.
I'll bring him an Wynne next time, see what that does.

Peff said:
About an hour, no new enemies, a few cutscenes and party banter (though I think only if you take Wynne and Alistair with you), a good chunk of the environments are just modified versions of when you were there at the beginning of the game, and the loot is not bad if you haven't finished the game.
Loghain has also a few choice things to say.
He also suggests to leave Wynne at camp. :lol

MechaX said:
For any rogue character, you'll want to pump as much cunning as possible. A talent called Lethality replaces strength with cunning for weapon equips. Having strength around 20 is good enough for the best armor available for rogues. And that's not even including everything else cunning affects.

What two specializations are recommended the most for rogues, and in which order? I'm thinking duelist and assassin.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
heringer said:
I'm playing as a warrior.

I decided to keep Leliana. She help me with lockpicking and is a good support using a crossbow.

So yeah, my party now is me (warrior), Leliana, Morrigan and Alistair.

lil' late sorry.

Ok so you picked a warrior that's great!, make him your main tank and get rid of Alistair, even though he's unfortunately an awesome funny character to have around. later on you'll encounter a healer mage so be sure to keep it
her
in your party at all times. well unless you wanna gimp Morrigan and give her some healing spells?, though imo she's the best DPS/CC character in game so you probably shouldnt do that.

lockpicking was never useful to me, its only good for selling crap lol.

the 4th character wont be a big problem with this mix, leliana is great anyway..range is awesome against dragons.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Just started. I'm a poor elf that's about to get married. Anything worth noting before I begin?

PS3 version and the frame rate and overall visuals are as mediocre as they say. Visuals are fine by me but the frame rate gives me a headache at times.

Rufus

Why are you not playing on PC? I know you have a machine that can easily handle the game. It's so much nicer over here!

Anyway, what class are you playing?

desverger

MechaX said:
For any rogue character, you'll want to pump as much cunning as possible. A talent called Lethality replaces strength with cunning for weapon equips. Having strength around 20 is good enough for the best armor available for rogues. And that's not even including everything else cunning affects.

Lethality only affects your damage bonus with melee weapons, it doesn't let you use your cunning score to qualify the strength requirement for weapons.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Not too big on PC games despite it having nearly everything superior and an above average rig to run everything. I prefer console setup and will make the sacrifice to play it that way. But DA I heard is like night and day on PC so I might make the jump. Yeah, frame rate is absolutely horrible on the PS3. I can understand if this were an Xbox game but no damn console game in this day and age should dip below 30fps at any time. The game doesn't even look all that hardware taxing to begin with. I'm glad the reviews reflect the efforts of the developers. I know they can do better than that.

Anyway, I'm a poor warrior elf. I just got done the beginning story. About to become one of the elite heroes of the world or something.

Sorry if this has be brought up but does the most recent patch address the issues people had with some of the DLC on PC?

I have Warden's Keep (bought the collectors edition) but never ran through it because I couldn't access it. Tried installing / unistalling both the DLC and the game itself but no luck. Basically I have it enabled and the quest giver in my camp. I can initiate dialogue and accept the quest without a problem, but afterwards Warden's Keep doesn't appear on my map. I didn't have a problem with Shale's quest or any of the items, just the keep.

I know there are some workarounds, but I'm a wuss afraid of breaking something and was assuming it would be patched / corrected.

Rufus

Sir Garbageman said:
I have Warden's Keep (bought the collectors edition) but never ran through it because I couldn't access it. Tried installing / unistalling both the DLC and the game itself but no luck. Basically I have it enabled and the quest giver in my camp. I can initiate dialogue and accept the quest without a problem, but afterwards Warden's Keep doesn't appear on my map. I didn't have a problem with Shale's quest or any of the items, just the keep.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/81613 Locate your problem here and just do what they suggest. I had to delete the DLC and some *.xml file to get the game to download or install the DLC completely. I also had do dick around with the daupdater service. Quite a mess, but It worked and nothing broke. Backup your saves and just do it.

Edgeward

The ice branch should be filled. Cone of cold is always good and blizzard great too. Crushing prison for any mage is always a good spell.

Edgeward said:
The ice branch should be filled. Cone of cold is always good and blizzard great too. Crushing prison for any mage is always a good spell.

If you don't bring Wynne along and the main PC isn't a mage either, probably will be in your best interest to get her heal as well. If she's your only mage can't go wrong by giving the spirit healer specialization (shapeshifter is worthless) as her 2nd and loading her up with the group heal spell too.

did the red cliff missions, danish elves, mages

was really excited to start the dwarfs stuff, but eugh

it's gone downhill thanks to the deeproads, anyone else the same ?

Ceebs

DangerousMali said:

Once you get near the end it becomes one of the best dungeons. Stick with it.

Rufus

DangerousMali said:

1) :lol
2) The Deep Roads tend to go on a bit too long for people, yeah. I personally didn't mind.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
DangerousMali said:

The ending is kinda cool, but fuck the whole trip too it. If you have Shale, you can get access to the companion mission afterwards and that place is awesome.

I've got quite a few in my party, but where the hell is liena ?

where do you meet her, im tired of morrigan and want to see how ogren interacts with her

kai3345

Banned
Gully State said:
Picked this up via goozex...Is the Stone Prisoner DLC worth shelling out cash for?
He's an extremley useful and badass character but I seriously doubt I could justify paying $15 bucks for him

ethelred

Downloaded Return to Ostagar. I'll give it a try shortly.

DangerousMali said:
I've got quite a few in my party, but where the hell is liena ?

where do you meet her, im tired of morrigan and want to see how ogren interacts with her

Do you mean Leliana? If you've got Oghren in your party, you're probably past the point at which you can recruit her. Not sure why so many people seem to miss her and Sten.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
you meet both Sten and Leliana in lothering very early in the game, sten is in a
cage
and leliana is in
the bar
. I missed them both on my first run :lol.

heringer

Man, the loot in this game is so lame. 99% of what I found is useless crap.

I'm not a fan of Oblivion, but one cool thing about it is that when you see an enemy with awesome gear, you know you'll get that when you kill him.

I'm almost 20 hours in and I feel my equipment still sucks. I'm doing some side quests in Denerin to raise money, but is there an effective way to get better weapons and armor?

And on a side note, is it normal that some of the "random" encounters are really, really hard? I mean, harder than what you face in the main missions.

witness

heringer said:
And on a side note, is it normal that some of the "random" encounters are really, really hard? I mean, harder than what you face in the main missions.

Discovered this in Denerim as well,
fuck that abandoned building omg
so I just ended up knocking the game down to casual and enjoyed it a hell of a lot more.

Rufus

Saerk said:
I didn't really think of it as a spoiler since she has a female VA
Which might as well be male unless you look at the credits and see that it is not. And who does that?

Darklord

Banned
witness said:
so I just ended up knocking the game down to casual and enjoyed it a hell of a lot more.

Is that the Glaxen(or whatever its name is) quest? I never bothered finishing it. It was just too hard.

koji

Darklord said:
Is that the Glaxen(or whatever its name is) quest? I never bothered finishing it. It was just too hard.

Gaxkang? (Unbound quest)

He's supposed to be one of the harder encounters in the game. Also drops an awesome sword, probably the best 1hander not counting Starfang. (Keening blade)

Truant

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I played this game at 20-40 fps all the way through, with no AA. I accidentally read a post on the nHancer forums telling that you need to use a very specific profile for Dragon Age if you have a dual GPU card.

Now the game is locked at 60 fps and 8xAA/16xAF.

It's like a different game.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
witness said:

are you having trouble with the fire elementals ? they die in 1-2 shots using ice spells. they should be your top priority in all the fights because they can really mess up the whole party with their ridiculous damage :lol

Juras

Hey.
One question to PS3 owners using DD5.1/DTS sound systems (via optical cable) while playing DA:O.
Anyone noticed audio skipping problems ? Especially during indoor battles.Sometimes strongly noticable, sometines not, never happened during cutscene/intro/main menu.
Its not fault of my PS3 or amplifier. ( Every other game/movie i play/played run perfectly).
If I change PS3 sound options to stereo, everything is ok, only 5.1 cause problems for Dragon Age:/

Edgeward

I don't play my ps3 with an amp but I encounter the audio problems as well. =\

I'll try messing with my audio settings and hope I can find soem solution as I has previously thought it was a unfixable problem.

Yea, mostly because it's usually an ambush and they like to place Mages and Archers on fucking cliffs. Like
Leiliana's story ambush and dealing witht that and those annoying dogs and ability to grab and gnaw at you, plus the fact you have to walk around the cliff to get to the archers up close is a real pain.
Or they simply overwhlem you with numbers like the refugee quest, that harlock mage was a bitch even on normal.

ethelred

Peff said:
About an hour, no new enemies, a few cutscenes and party banter (though I think only if you take Wynne and Alistair with you), a good chunk of the environments are just modified versions of when you were there at the beginning of the game, and the loot is not bad if you haven't finished the game.

I played through the DLC last night, and I was pretty disappointed. I expected the main area of Ostagar to just be modified and reused, but the other areas were really poor. Like, the quest description says you start out by going to Bann Loren's lands... but that ended up taking place in a tiny outdoor random encounter zone. Then there's a tunnel area at Ostagar which is just copied&pasted from the Brecilian ruins. And then the actual battlefield is miniscule -- smaller than Denerim's market square, only it was just a white blob.

The party banter (with Wynne and Alistair) was pretty good, but on the whole I found the DLC rather underwhelming. And I really liked Stone Prisoner and Warden's Keep, both of which had neat, unique locations, interesting characters, and added to the context and lore of the game world.

Hyunkel6

Are some enemies immune to backstabs? Sometimes, I notice that my rogue doesn't do the backstab animation when I'm clearly in the "backstab zone" behind some enemies.

Edgeward

Hyunkel6 said:
Are some enemies immune to backstabs? Sometimes, I notice that my rogue doesn't do the backstab animation when I'm clearly in the "backstab zone" behind some enemies.

Well, since a shield character can gain an ability to no longer be able to be flanked I would think an enemy can have the same. It still works if they are stunned and you have the added rogue ability, IIRC.

Hyunkel6

Edgeward said:
Well, since a shield character can gain an ability to no longer be able to be flanked I would think an enemy can have the same. It still works if they are stunned and you have the added rogue ability, IIRC.
That makes sense. Thanks.

Edgeward

Maybe this can be of help?

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Age:_Origins_Bugs/Glitches
The trigger for this bug has been figured out. It has to do with exceeding a pre-existing limit of what can be stored by any vendor in the game at a given time (ie. buying everything in the game and selling it all to the vendor in your camp for easy access) and can easily be avoided. The original post with detailed explanation can be viewed at the following link: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/67/index/247529/10

Top Bottom