• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Sotha Sil

Well, one quick question (which must have been addressed by now, but bear with me): if my character decided to ride into the sunset with his love interest at the end of Origins, will Awakening make sense if I import? Does the game just assume that you decided to remain an active Grey Warden?
From what I gathered (the "dead characters can be imported" thing), it'll just handwave my final decision, but I'm just curious to know whether the game acknowledges it at all.

Sotha Sil said:
Well, one quick question (which must have been addressed by now, but bear with me): if my character decided to ride into the sunset with his love interest at the end of Origins, will Awakening make sense if I import? Does the game just assume that you decided to remain an active Grey Warden?
From what I gathered (the "dead characters can be imported" thing), it'll just handwave my final decision, but I'm just curious to know whether the game acknowledges it at all.

Game doesn't seem to explain what may have happened in the time between these games (or really what the time lapse is). You became the warden commander, are arriving at vigil's keep. Haven't seen any mention if Leliana/Zevran so far.

Sotha Sil

HadesGigas said:
Game doesn't seem to explain what may have happened in the time between these games (or really what the time lapse is). You became the warden commander, are arriving at vigil's keep. Haven't seen any mention if Leliana/Zevran so far.

Oh, ok. Kind of what I expected, but disappointing nonetheless. I may go for the new warden pc then. Thanks!

orion434

Playing the Expansion is kinda weird, I mean I imported a lv 25 Mage and now they added some really crazy stuff to make the difficulty even easier. I gave everyone Stamnia Increase then Health Increase and some of the Passive skills are just wrong... get damaged and regain mana? I also imported a character with 155 Gold... and gold flows like water. I've made just as much in about 4 hours of play... while it took me near the full game to make that amount in the original.

Anyone know what "Fully Upgrade Vigil's Keep" entails?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it does seem a bit easy so far. But really, I aside from that damage = mana gain, I thought some of these skills should've already been in the original as some of the skills were pretty worthless...survival???????

orion434

Kuro Madoushi said:
Yeah it does seem a bit easy so far. But really, I aside from that damage = mana gain, I thought some of these skills should've already been in the original as some of the skills were pretty worthless...survival???????

My Mage is a Spirit Healer + Arcane Warrior + Battlemage... I'm tempted to raise the difficulty to hard because nothing can hurt me and if they do I just heal.

Those skills like Survival are pretty worthless... so now they give you some pretty beefy Health + Mana increases.

Olghren did 568 damage with some attack... it's insane!

did they fix the dexterity bug in the original game where for example daggers only added 1 per STR and ignored all DEX bonus?

coz it looks like the best new rogue skills need really high dex...

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
cleveridea said:
did they fix the dexterity bug in the original game where for example daggers only added 1 per STR and ignored all DEX bonus?

I believe so.

Kuro Madoushi said:

I haven't really gone hands on yet but some of the new skills sounds beastly, especially those that let you regain mana / stamina. Plus I've read that now there are stamina potions as well as the standard mana ones, which should help out warriors and rogues a ton.

Pankaks said:
I believe so.

cool yeah that would ruin my rogue otherwise, coz I REALLY want the new rogue high DEX skills

looks like mages became even more overpowered -
reset all timers, MORE defensive buffs, ability to gain health and mana per hit
fun though :D

Twilight Princess said:
leliana constantly flirts w/ morrigan in my case, and morrigan just expresses plain disgust. it's weird because morrigan looks totally gay

My first playthrough A-team was Alistar, Morrigan and Wynne with a male human rogue "true neutral" duelist/assassin. My next playthrough A-team will be Sten, Leliana, and Morrigan (raise her as a healer) with a female "lawful evil" mage. I hear that Zev/Shale have the best dialogue, and I only played with Shale through the Dwarf quest and didn't touch
her
after that.
after the crows come after Zev, I voluntarily let him leave the party...didn't need him, and I only wanted to use him to get the assassin specalization. It was very difficult because he kept hitting on me and I told him I didn't roll like that (-10/-15 penalty!!!)

Morrigan is easily my favorite character because her personality, how she speaks to other characters...resembles my own. I can't see myself in a party without her. I also find Sten to be cool. Maybe because of that Andraste Quest trailer?

In my first playthough,
I'm at the part where you see the autistic kid in the Denerium castle. I have not had the opportunity to play in two days.

hermit7

HadesGigas said:

I am not sure. On my beginning it explained it pretty well.
Human Noble, married Anora.

Hell I made a dialogue choice where I was like "You'll always be able to find a new husband"

And she responded something about how thats not funny, and its not all she does is go around finding new husbands.

Anders even asks what I would be doing if I weren't Grey Wardening, and it can give you the option to reference it again.

Had a late night session with Awakenings and I'm loving it. Most damage I've gotten so far off of Peon's Plight is 502 with a one handed sword (I had forgotten there was an achievement for doing 200 damage in one swing until I got it using that skill). It feels overpowered, as does Massacre, but it sure is fun to hack some guys to pieces with them.

Just got all the companions at the 6 hour mark, now it feels like the real meat of the game is about to begin. Loving this expansion so far, the story is much better than Origins, mainly because the bad guys are so much more interesting. It's been pretty easy though, gonna need to up the difficulty for a second playthrough.

So far the only Origins companions i've seen (besides Oghren) are
Loghain and Wynne
who just had minor token appearances.

Edgeward

I wonder if the ps3 version of DA:OA has the fixes in the pc/360? Because the patch they gave a couple weeks ago did jack shit to fix anything gameplay wise: dex-bug, framerate issues, etc.

cleveridea said:

coz it looks like the best new rogue skills need really high dex...

They fixed it in the original, but people on the Bioware forums are saying the bug has been reintroduced in Awakening.

JoeBoy101

hermit7 said:

Hell I made a dialogue choice where I was like "You'll always be able to find a new husband"

And she responded something about how thats not funny, and its not all she does is go around finding new husbands.

Anders even asks what I would be doing if I weren't Grey Wardening, and it can give you the option to reference it again.

Funny thing is that
my human noble bedded Anora (elf maid right) and she was killed when Howe attacks the castle

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Awakening

Noooooot sure if it's worth 40 dollars...but it was a fun ride while it lasted.

If you import your character, prepare for lots of extra money, easy fights, and tons of loot.

Despite these extra specializations, my arcane war/blood mage made short work of everything except the last boss. Got picked up and killed, but I had another dude just kite it. Also not sure if it's really worth another playthrough either...maybe as that Orlesian Warden (new PC you create).

Tokubetsu

Kuro Madoushi said:
Just finished Awakening

If you import your character, prepare for lots of extra money, easy fights, and tons of loot.

Despite these extra specializations, my arcane war/blood mage made short work of everything except the last boss. Got picked up and killed, but I had another dude just kite it. Also not sure if it's really worth another playthrough either...maybe as that Orlesian Warden (new PC you create).

Yea, consensus seems to be not worth 40. 20 maybe. I haven't felt like this much of a sucker in awhile...and I liked DA:O a LOT.

golem

Kuro Madoushi said:
Just finished Awakening

How long did it take you?

hermit7 said:

Yeah it carries over your landsmeet choice. So I guess if you made that choice to marry Anora it ties up the story better than if you did otherwise. For me
Alistar showed up as king, said he would like to help but can't, I made fun of him a bit, he let me take the mage

Oh well I think I'm at the end. One more dungeon left (maybe?
Mother's Lair
) and I've played it for 9 hours. Don't know how long this last one is going to be but I'm expecting a fairly epic dungeon based on the other content.

Some Spoiler-ish thoughts:

Making administrative decisions on how to deal with the nobles and run the city/farmland, and how to use the soldiers was pretty cool, wish there was more of this.

Stayed to defend Amaranthine City and Vigil's Keep was destroyed... gives me some incentive to play again to see if I can save both, I thought I upgraded it fully, but I guess not.

That Armored Ogre in the Amarantine City battle was bad ass.

Nathaniel Howe... was pretty sure my human noble was going to kill this guy but of course I made him join the grey wardens and he turned out to be a good guy in the end.

Saw Wynne and Loghain, but nobody else from my origins party (aside from Oghren).

Never did hear from Dark Wolf after i gave him a bunch of money. He was supposed to give me info on the conspirators against me, then they just randomly showed up in my throne room during a visit to the keep and I killed them. Guess I didn't revisit Amaranthine City at the right time or something, and i'm assuming that whole Dark Wolf Sub Plot allows you to avoid this.

I can't help but feel like this would have been a lot better if it was integrated into the main game... instead of that worthless Soldier's Peak that got swept under the rug, this should have been the "Build your base" side mission, because building up the keep and trying to administer the lands was pretty fun.

Anyway, it is cool, but I feel like 40 bucks is kinda pricy for this. I don't particularly feel burned by it, just that it was less than I was hoping for. 20 would have been perfect.

anddo0

Kuro Madoushi said:
Just finished Awakening

I had a feeling it wouldn't be worth $40. I guess I'll hold out until it goes on sale.

Nif

Tokubetsu said:
Yea, consensus seems to be not worth 40. 20 maybe. I haven't felt like this much of a sucker in awhile...and I liked DA:O a LOT.

That's too bad. :( Glad I waited on it. Thought it was going to be $20 before I noticed it on Steam last week.

Owzers

anddo0 said:
Well that seals the deal.. I won't be getting it until they iron this out.. Origins had some framerate issues, but this sounds worse. How can that be?

Well i guess i dont mind waiting to buy this game now. Seriously HOW can this be? Do developers even try to fix problems with their games anymore?

hermit7

I got it on PS3 and while there are some frame rate hitches, there is nothing that impedes the gameplay at all.

Just burned down Amaranthine, and defended Vigil's keep off now to the Mother.

I am thinking I am about done with it after this.

Hyphen

I bought the US collectors edition of DA:O because I specifically craved the bonus featurettes and the cute little cloth map. However, as I'm from the UK, I'm thinking of simply downloading Awakenings from the PSN. Before I pay for it though, does anyone have any idea if this will cause problems? I always assumed that with PS3 games being region free, a US and UK DA:O 'game' disc would be basically the same. So an expansion such as this wouldn't be an issue. But now I can't seem to find any definitive answers on the Bioware forums.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hyphen said:
I bought the US collectors edition of DA:O because I specifically craved the bonus featurettes and the cute little cloth map. However, as I'm from the UK, I'm thinking of simply downloading Awakenings from the PSN. Before I pay for it though, does anyone have any idea if this will cause problems? I always assumed that with PS3 games being region free, a US and UK DA:O 'game' disc would be basically the same. So an expansion such as this wouldn't be an issue. But now I can't seem to find any definitive answers on the Bioware forums.

I would be very wary of this. The reason why is I purchased Killzone 2 [EU region] my ps3 is NTSC same with my PSN account. When I went to download the Killzone 2 map packs off of the US PSN they were not compatible with the EU copy of Killzone 2 that I owned.

Admittedly I don't know much about awakenings, haven't played dragon age for a long time but saw this thread in my User CP and figured I would throw out my personal experience with regional PSN purchases. Take it for what it's worth.

Hyphen

RbBrdMan said:
I would be very wary of this. The reason why is I purchased Killzone 2 [EU region] my ps3 is NTSC same with my PSN account. When I went to download the Killzone 2 map packs off of the US PSN they were not compatible with the EU copy of Killzone 2 that I owned.

Admittedly I don't know much about awakenings, haven't played dragon age for a long time but saw this thread in my User CP and figured I would throw out my personal experience with regional PSN purchases. Take it for what it's worth.

Hmm, I had a feeling that might be the case. I guess I was just hoping it might be different since Awakening is promoted as an expansion rather than DLC. Nevertheless, I appreciate your response. If it doesn't work, I might try and pick up a cheap/used copy of a UK DA:O, and see if my save file will work. I'll be a bit screwed if that doesn't work, as the place I imported DA:O from doesn't have Awakening. And every other website I've seen specifically states that it will not ship the game to the UK.

Hyphen

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
The dell store has this one for 25 bucks plus shipping. You can get 5 percent bing cashback as well.

Do you have a direct link Kitty, as I only see it going for $39.99 (PS3), and $6.99 for the cheapest delivery option? Thanks.

Kuro Madoushi said:
Just finished Awakening

Can't comment on it because I haven't played yet but I am sure they will release a GOTY edition that will include all the DLC. Atleast I hope that they do for this and Borderlands.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I guess I'll hold off on playing the game any time soon but it's not like I don't have a huge backlog anyway. It all works out.

The in-game response to the PS3 issue. :lol

qspr13.gif

Wiggum2007

Kadey said:
I guess I'll hold off on playing the game any time soon but it's not like I don't have a huge backlog anyway. It all works out.

The in-game response to the PS3 issue. :lol

http://i44.tinypic.com/qspr13.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

I thought that was a still image at first then I saw the dudes hand twitch and I freaked out because I thought I was seeing things.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I got the Asian version of Dragon Age running on a JPN 360... can I download the Awakenings expansion off the US marketplace (I have a US account) without any trouble? has anyone tried it?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oichi said:
I got the Asian version of Dragon Age running on a JPN 360... can I download the Awakenings expansion off the US marketplace (I have a US account) without any trouble? has anyone tried it?

I wouldn't try it if I were you. I've heard that other downloadable 360 games retain the region protection from the disc versions. I actually tried to buy two Xbox originals games from the US marketplace on my Japanese 360 only to screwed by the region locks on those games.

Then again, I don't even know if Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening is region locked or not.

Oichi said:

As the member above me said, I wouldn't try it. It is worth a trying if it is less that 1000 Microsoft points but for anything that big = 3200 points, its too big of a risk. Just save the points for Arcade games or something.

Aedile

wayward archer said:
Some Spoiler-ish thoughts:

Making administrative decisions on how to deal with the nobles and run the city/farmland, and how to use the soldiers was pretty cool, wish there was more of this.

The warrior stronghold quest chain in BG2 ran along the same lines, and was definitely one of my favorite parts of that game. Wouldn't have minded the length of the expansion if it was a good dozen hours of interesting lord-of-the-manor stuff without the need to go another tedious round with Evil That Will Destroy The World As We Know It.

Question about Sigrun. Is there some sort of reason why the
soap on a rope
gift does
+100 approval!?

I mean sure, dwarves are dirty and all but...

orion434

To anyone who's completed the game...

Where can I find Granite
I think this is the last piece I need to "Fully Upgrade Vigil's Keep and I must have overlooked it somewhere.

Aedile said:
The warrior stronghold quest chain in BG2 ran along the same lines, and was definitely one of my favorite parts of that game. Wouldn't have minded the length of the expansion if it was a good dozen hours of interesting lord-of-the-manor stuff without the need to go another tedious round with Evil That Will Destroy The World As We Know It.

Yeah this whole expansion reminds me a lot of the Fighter's Stronghold quest from BG2.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I only paid £15 for the expansion on the pc, yet its £25 on console :/

Top Bottom