• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Owzers

I played Dragon Age on 360 but am thinking of switching over to PS3 for this expansion now that the original isn't required. Still hoping we get some impressions as to whether or not the blurriness in the 360 version was "fixed" with the expansion or not.

thefil said:
Has anyone managed to install Steam version of Awakening yet? It's not showing up in my list.

If you're referring to your Steam games list it won't show up as a separate listing. Apparently you have to DL it through the game itself or EA's website like the rest of the DLC.

Van Owen

Banned
I purchased it after it unlocked and it opened a separate icon in my games list. Once you launch it though, it launches it like it would Origins and you have to select Other Campaigns. But I was able to dl through Steam and not the game itself.

theultimo

This is the image I am talking about:

image-8C89_4B9FE18F.jpg

vocab

Is the digital deluxe version worth getting over the standard edition? I know it has more content, but is it actually worth it?

vocab said:
Is the digital deluxe version worth getting over the standard edition? I know it has more content, but is it actually worth it?
I play on '360, but if I owned a suitable PC I'd definitely buy the digital deluxe version. So yeah, I recommend it. Mainly for Shale, such an awesome character. You'll also get almost all of the DLC, except Return to Ostagaar ( I think...)

I've got my copy of Awakening sitting on my desk. Can't wait to throw it into my '360 tonight!

Reluctant-Hero said:
I play on '360, but if I owned a suitable PC I'd definitely buy the digital deluxe version. So yeah, I recommend it. Mainly for Shale, such an awesome character. You'll also get almost all of the DLC, except Return to Ostagaar ( I think...)

I've got my copy of Awakening sitting on my desk. Can't wait to throw it into my '360 tonight!

You get Shale with either version.

The Digital Deluxe version isn't really worth it. You can buy Warden's Keep separately for less than the extra $10 you spend on the DD version and the only thing you miss out on are some promo items.

Truant

Five hours into Awakening, and it's already a lot better than Origins.

For me, it's probably the equivalent of what Mask of the Betrayer is to NWN2.

epmode

Truant said:
Five hours into Awakening, and it's already a lot better than Origins.

For me, it's probably the equivalent of what Mask of the Betrayer is to NWN2.
I like the sound of that.

Even though I finished ME2 + all sidequests in a week, I still haven't finished Origins. Dragon Age has a lot of potential but much of it feels like a paint-by-numbers fantasy world. The first game did, anyway.

kai3345

Banned
So since I haven't quite finished vanilla Origins I decided to make an Orleasian character for Awakenings.

And without spoiling too much, you eventually meet up with Alistar and he acts like he doesn't even recognize Ogrhen. In the "start a new character" timeline, did The Warden not ever recruit Ogrhen and the others? Did he just take on the archdemon himself?

I dunno, I've met another old character who has some specific dialogue with Oghren, but that's with a character I moved over. Would he necessarily have something to say to the old drunk at that point? There's already all kinds of options depending on your original status and the dialogue can't be endless.

Ricker said:
I thought you needed the disk of Origins to play this...so it`s confirmed you don`t need it?(consoles)...
Awakening only really requires the DA:O disk if your downloading it on XBL. But if you buy the retail Awakening disc, it's all you need to play the expansion.

It's all really confusing actually. I'm surprised this wasn't marketed better as I'd imagine that it's success is key to seeing more DLC/expansions before whatever is coming on 2/01/11.

kai3345 said:
So since I haven't quite finished vanilla Origins I decided to make an Orleasian character for Awakenings.

And without spoiling too much, you eventually meet up with Alistar and he acts like he doesn't even recognize Ogrhen. In the "start a new character" timeline, did The Warden not ever recruit Ogrhen and the others? Did he just take on the archdemon himself?

That would be wierd since it's not even possible to avoid recruiting Oghren, though you can kill him if your approval gets low enough. Anora didn't say anything to Oghren, but I wouldn't really expect her to either.

Owzers

Reluctant-Hero said:
Awakening only really requires the DA:O disk if your downloading it on XBL. But if you buy the retail Awakening disc, it's all you need to play the expansion.

It's all really confusing actually. I'm surprised this wasn't marketed better as I'd imagine that it's success is key to seeing more DLC/expansions before whatever is coming on 2/01/11.

I thought for sure this would require some type of stupid disc switching and i wanted it to work like GTA Liberty City Stories instead, a stand alone product. As it turns out i guess i got my wish for the retail 360 and PS3 versions, it's just too bad it takes a message board the day it releases to have this information get out there.

hermit7

Really enjoying the game right now. I like having a lot of the main points referenced in the Expansion
Marrying Anora
Pretty early on though so other than that there is not much to go by. The new talents are really solid, and add a lot of depth to the characters.
Heartseeker is a beast 350 damage every time

So what's the story on DLC items importing? Some of them carried over, but not others. I kept the return to Ostagar items and some of the Stone Prisoner ones, but nothing from Warden's Keep.

Cep

Banned
Basileus777 said:
So what's the story on DLC items importing? I have some of them, but not others. I kept the return to Ostagar items and some of the Stone Prisoner ones, but nothing from Warden's Keep.

Is there a reason why they would not import?

Peff

Cep said:
Is there a reason why they would not import?

Bioware said that either they got that working or kept working on adding stuff and polish to the expansion pack so they went with that. Apparently nothing carries over.

As far as console versions are concerned, is there any reason to go with the DLC option rather than the disc version? Except for instant availability and shelf space of course.

It seems to me 3200 points for the 360 version gives little to no incentive to buy the digital version rather than the £25 boxed version (soon 20ish I guess). That and the inevitable debacle that will ensue whenever EA pulls the plug on the master server. Am I missing something?

Unrelated but I just read this in the eurogamer review comments: enhancement? ENHANCEMENT! :D

Peff said:
Bioware said that either they got that working or kept working on adding stuff and polish to the expansion pack so they went with that. Apparently nothing carries over.

Some of it carried over, that's why I was curious.

Van Owen

Banned
My level 21 was went through the beginning without any trouble. Might have to crank the difficulty up. Already found a better sword than the Kneeing Blade though!

Too many new skills/talents/spells. Don't know what to use.

Also, they took away the runes I had on Oghren. :(

Enjoying myself so far. Haven't played enough to compare it to the original yet.

Van Owen

Banned
Well, Oghren starts off with a better weapon anyway...

I just found out you can change the emblem on your shield at will. Nice surprise. :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hey! Awakening needs its own thread!

Even though I love DA I won't be buying it just yet, I have a nice log with ME2, FFXIII and playing BC2 online, so Ill probably buy the expansion after I beat one of the SP games =P

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I was gonna ask if the 360 textures looked better now that they weren't really space constrained. Guess not :lol

Van Owen said:
I purchased it after it unlocked and it opened a separate icon in my games list. Once you launch it though, it launches it like it would Origins and you have to select Other Campaigns. But I was able to dl through Steam and not the game itself.

You're right, I'm an idiot. In my defense I was going off what Steam Tech Support had told me when I asked last week.

Van Owen

Banned
Really digging the expansion so far.

Still rocking my Wade's Superior Dragon Plate armor. Wade sells a nice golden tier 9 set, but it looks to only bet the body armor and not the gloves or boots so I'm holding off. Hard to beat all the bonuses the Origins set provides. Need an armor list ASAP so I can get the best shit...

Van Owen said:
Really digging the expansion so far.

Same here. It's great to be playing this game again and experiencing fresh story content. Maybe it's just me, but the texture work and lighting, on '360, look much improved from DA:O last fall. My Legion of the Dead armor never looked this detailed before. :D

So far I've had Oghren and Anders. join the Wardens. But Mhairi died. What the hell? Is this a story-line death, as it isn't possible for her to join in the game's fiction? Or is this random chance? Has anyone had Mhairi successfully complete the joining?

Van Owen

Banned
Reluctant-Hero said:
Same here. It's great to be playing this game again and experiencing fresh story content. Maybe it's just me, but the texture work and lighting, on '360, look much improved from DA:O last fall. My Legion of the Dead armor never looked this detailed before. :D

So far I've had Oghren and Anders. join the Wardens. But Mhairi died. What the hell? Is this a story-line death, as it isn't possible for her to join in the game's fiction? Or is this random chance? Has anyone had Mhairi successfully complete the joining?
Pretty sure she is just there so everyone has a tank early on.

Cep

Banned
Liking the expansion well enough, but I think that my first(and only) Origins run (On nightmare, 85 hours) burned me out completely on the game.

When I play, all I can do is criticize, I am not having much fun.

Van Owen said:
Pretty sure she is just there so everyone has a tank early on.

Yeah, she's destined to die no matter what. Kinda makes that "I will avenge you Roland!" (think that was his name) part kind of pointless.

Noticing a mistake in the codex stuff it imported. In Isolde and Connor's entries it mentions that
Isolde gave her life to save him
. That is not the choice I made. Also my dog's name does not show up, just a blank line where it should say "Dogmeat" (but still properly alphabetized). Too lazy to look and see if anything else is messed up.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Cep said:
Liking the expansion well enough, but I think that my first(and only) Origins run (On nightmare, 85 hours) burned me out completely on the game.

When I play, all I can do is criticize, I am not having much fun.

Having the complete opposite reaction. It's just constantly reminding me of why DA was (by far) my favorite game last year and possibly in the last several years.

Sooooooooo good.

HadesGigas said:
Yeah, she's destined to die no matter what. Kinda makes that "I will avenge you Roland!" (think that was his name) part kind of pointless.

That's kind of a bummer. I thought she'd be a fully developed character since they featured her in her own trailer. Oh well, such is the life of Grey Warden. Sometimes people survive the joining and sometimes they don't!

Truant

Reluctant-Hero said:
That's kind of a bummer. I thought she'd be a fully developed character since they featured her in her own trailer. Oh well, such is the life of Grey Warden. Sometimes people survive the joining and sometimes they don't!

I thought it was a cool little twist. Reminded me of the first CSI episode.

Top Bottom