• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Relaxed Muscle said:
Whatever you buy the game new or not, you have to pay for that stuff,the reason is the codes for the new things "expired" this month, for EA if you don't buy the game new in a specified amount of time, you are like a little dirty second hand buyer.

I only recently grabbed DA as it hit my 10£ limit (or pretty damn close), and although the packs ins (dragon armour and Stone Prisoner) had an expiry date of April, they activated no worries.

This of course isn't a guarantee, but hopefully people have similar experiences.

(PC purchase by the way).

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
JustHadToJoin said:
my God this game stutters like a bitch.. on a console? If it doesn't stop by the time I finish
ostagar
I'm returning this..

Wut?

By the way I haven't yet played Origins. Too big of a backlog right now :lol
EDIT: Awakening not Origins =P

Darklord

Banned
JustHadToJoin said:
my God this game stutters like a bitch.. on a console? If it doesn't stop by the time I finish
ostagar
I'm returning this..

Err, might be something wrong with your disc or console if that's the case. I played the PC version but I know people who had the 360 version and it never gave them trouble.

kai3345

Banned
I don't see where everyone is coming from saying that it has tons of graphical and framerate issues on consoles. I've been playing the 360 version and I have only had one minor glitch in Awakenings that was easily fixed with a simple reset.

It may be because I'm coming from modern warfare and uncharted 2, but its just so slow, "stuttery," even the menus have laggy input problems and.. its making me actually not like a Bioware game and that feeling is foreign to me.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The PC version still doesn't last more than 15 minutes at a time for me. So I went out and bought the PS3 version. Good choice. Ofcourse I gave up the ability to use all those scary nude mods people were spending weeks vigerously animating (seriously, though, these people scare me) but I think I made the right choice of comfy sofa.

kai3345

Banned
Just beat Awakening, I was kind of dissapointed, I mean the plot was good I guess but the difficulty was absurdly easy, even on Hard. The Spectral Dragon was about the only difficult part.

I'm kind of pissed that
Justice and Sigrun
betrayed me, they were my favorite characters and to have to
kill them
just before the final boss kinda sucked.

im sorry but this is the worst game bioware has ever made, even worse than sonic. I think the reason i feel this way though is because this is their first time making a ps3 game so of course it looks and plays like crap. hopefully i get the chance to try this on the 360 and its better, but everything about it on ps3 is so choppy and ugly and terrible and...ugh.

ksan

JustHadToJoin said:
im sorry but this is the worst game bioware has ever made, even worse than sonic. I think the reason i feel this way though is because this is their first time making a ps3 game so of course it looks and plays like crap. hopefully i get the chance to try this on the 360 and its better, but everything about it on ps3 is so choppy and ugly and terrible and...ugh.
Are you gonna blame them for you buying the PS3 version? :lol

edit:
JustHadToJoin said:
It may be because I'm coming from modern warfare and uncharted 2, but its just so slow, "stuttery," even the menus have laggy input problems and.. its making me actually not like a Bioware game and that feeling is foreign to me.
Saw this too now, I guess it's too much to expect anything else from people like you :lol

hermit7

JustHadToJoin said:

I don't know exactly where you are coming from. I got the PS3 version as well, and have beaten it 3 times, and then beat Awakening as well. There is some slowdown, and some of the areas are poorly conceived, but man this game is amazingly fun.

ksan said:
Are you gonna blame them for you buying the PS3 version? :lol

edit:

Saw this too now, I guess it's too much to expect anything else from people like you :lol

yes you know people like me so well from a few sentences, let us all laugh with ksan, his contributions are so funny

DeadFalling said:
Is there any chance for a GOTY version of DA with the game + expansion in the same package?

I have been waiting for something like that so that I can get my hands on the expansion but so far no news about it nor the Borderlands GOTY. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

lastplayed said:
When is this "Darkspawn Chronicles" supposed to go live? It says the 18th... I assume it's the 18th in most places already. :/
Jesus christ its only 10.40 in the morning where I live (GMT), the content probably won't show up until late this afternoon, what could possibly have made you think it would be up by now?!Where do you live?

lastplayed said:
It's Tuesday night here. It's ok, I can wait. Chill out dude.
Sorry, didn't mean to come across as aggressive or anything, was just a bit surprised that anyone would possibly think it'd be out this early in the day.I mean most of the US isn't even up yet!Plus Bioware are usually pretty late in the day with releasing these things anyways from what I remember, so it could well be early Wed morning till you get it i'm afraid.

No worries, just wondered if anyone knew. I was hoping to get a quick look before I head off for bed, but will have to wait till tomorrow it seems.

Rufus

You play as a darkspawn vanguard (the leader types with the horned helmets) during the last battle in Denerim. He's a sword and shield tank with some abilities from the champion spec. You lead a group of darkspawn through the city, fighting every companion from Origins along the way, one by one. Oghren will come storming out of the inn with some drunkards, Wynne guards a gate with some templars, etc. Nothing terribly interesting. The ability to recruit darkspawn on the fly and gain their approval by getting your hands dirty is mildly amusing. If one dies you just grab another one. They constantly spawn near you and follow your main group around, so you always have a steady supply of troops. You'll be using Ogres to smash through barriers and Shrieks to sneak by sets of ballistas. Nothing terribly exciting.
So you fight your way through the city until you reach the palace, fight a group consisting of Alistair, Morrigan, Leliana and a bunch of Werewolves to protect the Archdemon. You slaughter them all and that's it. The end. You see your guy finishing off Alistair and that's pretty much all that happens if 'your PC from Origins hadn't survived the joining, yadda yadda'. Bioware making things sound more compelling than they end up being, case #X.
Lest we forget you also get a sword for Origins and Awakenings. Useless to anyone but those who are actually still playing the campaign of either.

tl;dr: It's rubbish.

This mod might actually be more entertaining. Made by a GAFer, too. :lol

Peff

Yeah, pretty much. The actual mission is decent because it forces you to use specific classes instead of letting you choose what you want until the very end (where you have an overwhelming army+the Archdemon anyways). There's no new dialogue at all and yes, the ending is silly, though I liked the final battle.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So before I go with this... Dragon Age was fucking fantasic for me, I held off Awakenings for a while but now I am back in the loop. Is Awakenings worth it? What's the realistic time it will take me to beat the game?

Patryn

Relix said:
So before I go with this... Dragon Age was fucking fantasic for me, I held off Awakenings for a while but now I am back in the loop. Is Awakenings worth it? What's the realistic time it will take me to beat the game?

I'm not entirely finished with Awakenings, but expect:

- An equal amount of party banter, but less interaction between individual party members and your main character.

- Shorter, simpler missions

- An overabundance of overpowered equipment

- No challenge whatsoever. Seriously, the thing is a cake walk. Hard and nightmare feel like DA on easy. I'm playing on hard, I'm 9 hours in, I've fought one of the optional uber-bosses and I've only used TWO potions in the entire expansion thus far. Two.

- Interesting party members

From what I've heard, I'm about 3/4 through. Apparently it tends to take between 12 and 20 hours to complete.

Late to the party...

Just bought :)

image-4192_4BF41BE5.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
kinoki said:
The PC version still doesn't last more than 15 minutes at a time for me. So I went out and bought the PS3 version. Good choice. Ofcourse I gave up the ability to use all those scary nude mods people were spending weeks vigerously animating (seriously, though, these people scare me) but I think I made the right choice of comfy sofa.

HDMI cable from your video card to your TV... wireless keyboard and mouse.... ahh fuck it, ignorance is bliss. Enjoy!

Relix said:

If you really liked Origins it's definitely worth it IMO. I loved it. It's actually a meaty expansion pack if you bother to do all the side quests. I think I managed to stretch it out to 20-25 hours. Granted, I did everything though. If you skip all the sidequests I imagine you could finish it in ten hours or less. Obviously the plot is not as great as Origins simply because the expansion is not that long. That's not to say it's a bad yarn though. I really enjoyed it and there is a really, really difficult choice you have to make at the end. Make sure to have multiple save files.

edit: The only downside, like others have said, is that there is virtually no challenge. The game is really, really easy. I think I might have died once by accident.

Patryn

Dark Stalkers said:
Am I supposed to be able to chose a 4th specialization in Awakening?

No. You're only supposed to get a third specialization point, although you can always respec by buying the manual in your fort.

Rufus

firehawk12 said:
Ah, it's just a random "what if" story? Oh well.
Assuming you're talking about the latest DLC. It's not even a story. It's only the final battle of the 'what if' story. That's it. You don't get anything before or after that.
Save your Bioware Points/money for the DLC that bridges ME2 and ME3.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm RTTP to finally get this amazing game out of my backlog.

So I'm started with a female warrior build; is it worth it to go Two-Handed style?

Finally finished this last night.....

Im a total noob at these kinda games, and for about 2/3rds of the game i was still learning how to play it properly, but once it clicked.... what a game.

33 hours it took me, and im really tempted to see how things play out as other races, whole heap of bang for buck here.

What does Gaf recommend DLC wise ? Im thinking Wardens Keep and Ostagar. Whats the Awakening expansion like ? Worth every penny ?

Im fucking hooked to this game :lol

Finally have gotten the opportunity to sink my teeth into Awakenings. About 5 hours in and really liking it so far, but to echo what most have said it's been a cakewalk. Been playing on hard difficulty and still have steam rolled every encounter so far.

For those who have finished Awakenings, who are the most interesting NPCs? I've recruited the first batch
Ogren, Anders, and Nathaniel
and now I'm off to one of the three main questlines by the look of it. I watched the "introduction" videos for the characters way back when and its pretty obvious now where I would recruit each of the remaining crew. Any recommendations as to the order I tackle them? Thanks.

sweetvar26 said:
I have been waiting for something like that so that I can get my hands on the expansion but so far no news about it nor the Borderlands GOTY. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Ugh :S Hopefully we'll get something at E3.

Patryn

DeadFalling said:
Ugh :S Hopefully we'll get something at E3.

Given that Awakenings is relatively new (it's less than 5 months old and costs $40), I'd expect at least another year before they sell a compilation package with Origins and Awakening together.

More likely they'll first do a GOTY edition with Return to Ostagar, Soldier's Peak, Shale, etc. Basically everything BUT Awakenings.

Cep

Banned
Just replayed Awakening and it might be shorter that the original, the story may be a little worse, and the characters may not be as good, but it is so much better designed (and paced).

Truant said:
Why does every BW game involve huge armies and gathering allies? Can't they just make a nice cozy adventure like Torment or or Betrayer, instead of all the political bullshit from Dragon Age. Smaller scale, deeper narrative.
Won't happen, but for what it's worth, I'd love to see it.

Top Bottom