• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Are they ever going to explain whats going on with Morrigan and stuff in Dragon Age 2? Its kind of left open with no answers. Were they planning a sequel to Dragon Age 1? Dragon Age 2 looks like a spinoff made by a different team.

Patryn said:
Actually, if you recall, several figures from the Human Noble origin are majorly important.

The only one with no references is the Dalish Elf.

Yeah, the other characters from the Human Noble story are, but not young Cousland him/herself. There's never any mention of him/her the way there is of everyone else. The youngest Aeducan sibling
dies in the deep roads after being exiled
. The dwarf commoner
is the corpse you loot in the cell next to Leske right before you fight Jarvia
. The city elf, well,
they don't specifically say, but you meet Soris and he's been in the dungeon since when that story took place, so it's pretty clear his cousin wasn't there to fight all of Vaughn's people off. Which to me says he/she didn't make it out of the scuffle.
The Dalish elf, as Blue Ninja pointed out,
finally got mentioned in Witch Hunt... he/she died at the mirror, and you have to revisit the site.
And the Mage? Well, they don't really come out and say it, but I like to think that
the circle mage who joins you up the Tower of Ishtal IS the mage who sprung Jowan. After all, Jowan is still out. And if you play as the mage, that nameless NPC doesn't join you (because you ARE him), but if you play as anyone else, he does

Pretty cool stuff, really.

Gvaz

Banned
Is the rest of awakening as hamfisted and overpowered as the beginning? I saved the keep and stopped at that point, as the high point was Oghren.

Najaf

I am a level 8 rogue now. I have just entered the gauntlet. But I must ask, does the world scale to you? I have had a hell of a time getting through this last bit. I feel I am using cheap tactics by luring a handful of guards/beasts/mages into narrow corridors where I can overwhelm them one or two at a time. Open combat is really tough when there are more than six or so enemies. I am guessing it is simply tough, or would having done this quest later made it any easier?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Najaf said:
I am a level 8 rogue now. I have just entered the gauntlet. But I must ask, does the world scale to you? I have had a hell of a time getting through this last bit. I feel I am using cheap tactics by luring a handful of guards/beasts/mages into narrow corridors where I can overwhelm them one or two at a time. Open combat is really tough when there are more than six or so enemies. I am guessing it is simply tough, or would having done this quest later made it any easier?

There are level ranges for each zone, it'll set itself the first time you zone in and won't change after that. I think someone from Bioware made a map showing the approximate levels of each area...

Ok found it.

diff_maphb49.jpg

Najaf

Thanks a bunch. Looks like I am right on schedule. And here I was hoping to hear I stumbled upon this too soon. Well, it sure is challenging; and on normal to boot. I can't imagine this above normal level. Damn Wraiths and Drakes...

ace3skoot

My dragon age origins ultimate edition is suppose to be arriving this morning, figured I would get it on the cheap, as it dropped by like £10 brand new probably due too DA2 being so close.

I'm a pretty casual western RPG player (though quite hardcore JRPG XD) coming of the back of ME2 which I found pretty insanely easy on normal, but much tougher on hard how difficult is this game, I used to love BG2 but hell I think nowadays that game would crush me into the ground in terms of difficulty (miniature giant space hamster ftw! “Go for the eyes Boo! The eyes!”)

so normal or start on hard?

So, played Witch Hunt today. What the hell, man?! Does nothing to explain anything and opens up several new questions. Hopefully these
weird ass mirrors and the place "beyond the fade"
play a part in DA2, but wouldn't be surprised if they aren't really mentioned.

I liked the little references to
Anders and Ser Pounce-a-lot
in there a few times. The two new companions were decent too, but wouldn't have minded actually seeing how their story ends instead of it
just cutting off once Morrigan's gone

I just noticed that only auto attacks get the bonuses of weapon enchantments. How hard is it to copy game mechanics from some one else if you don't know how to make them your self? I am a bit surprised that after making RPGs for years people at Bioware still don't know how to make a decent set of rules and mechanics.

Ledsen

So it's 4am, and I just finished the the whole Mage quest including the Circle Tower and the Fade in one sitting after starting sometime after dinner. Holy shit this game is good.

Najaf

kai3345 said:
Had no idea you could kill
Wynne
until I just did it about 10 minutes ago.

Made me so happy

And to celebrate your finding, you decide to post here and ruin the pleasure of discovery for others? Come now,
spoiler tags save us all

Ledsen

Oh also, I got the sex scene with Morrigan. Holy shit that was awkward. What's wrong with her body? And why do they both have an underwear fetish? I wish they'd gone the ME1 route...

Great apparently a mod fixes some of the stuff I was bitching about. The combat tweaks mod is pretty great it certainly buffs the classes that aren't mages. Since I also got the mod that gives you a bunch of extra tactics slot without getting the talents I think I am going to crank up the difficulty to Nightmare to even it out.

kai3345

Banned
BEWARE!

The Skip The Fade mod for PC, at least the version I downloaded from DA Nexus, (ironically) crashes the game during the final fight of The Fade.

Simply disable the mod just before confronting the final boss and you should be fine.

kai3345 said:
BEWARE!

The Skip The Fade mod for PC, at least the version I downloaded from DA Nexus, (ironically) crashes the game during the final fight of The Fade.
Didn't have any problems with it.

Edit: Seriously level scaling is messed up, even on nightmare I rolled through whats supposed to be a boss fight without any trouble at all.

Edit2: Oh nice, finally ran into a fight that gave me a bit of trouble.

Xamdou

So I was playing DA: Awakenings, lvl 26 and decided to buy the Spirit Warrior Tomb from a vendor in the main marketplace. I bought the Spirit Warrior Tomb from the vendor but it didn't show up in my inventory even though it charged me. I then looked at the vendor's wares and the SW tomb isn't there either so wtf? I decided to load a previous save and went to the same vendor. When I looked through all his wares there is no longer a Spirit Warrior tomb. I did this 5 times and he still didnt have it. I even checked the other vendors if they had it and of course they don't. After this I immediately turned exited the game. What a bullshit glitch.

Rufus

Xamdou said:
So I was playing DA: Awakenings, lvl 26 and decided to buy the Spirit Warrior Tomb from a vendor in the main marketplace. I bought the Spirit Warrior Tomb from the vendor but it didn't show up in my inventory even though it charged me. I then looked at the vendor's wares and the SW tomb isn't there either so wtf? I decided to load a previous save and went to the same vendor. When I looked through all his wares there is no longer a Spirit Warrior tomb. I did this 5 times and he still didnt have it. I even checked the other vendors if they had it and of course they don't. After this I immediately turned exited the game. What a bullshit glitch.
I lost my main characters equipment in the Silverite Mines because of a bug. Reconstructed it as best I could using a mod, but it put a big damper on things going forward... So Awakenings is still pretty buggy, huh? OK then.

Wow, can't believe return to ostagar was the first piece of DLC released for this game. Well I guess I can because its so poor so I am not that surprised it got shoved out the door. Well at least having Maric's sword is pretty cool.

Najaf

Is there a way to get more for your money from shops? Is there some sort of price negotiation both ways? If not, do some vendors offer you more than others for certain items? I feel like I am getting ripped off when I check the value of an item compared to what I can sell it for.

Patryn

Najaf said:
Is there a way to get more for your money from shops? Is there some sort of price negotiation both ways? If not, do some vendors offer you more than others for certain items? I feel like I am getting ripped off when I check the value of an item compared to what I can sell it for.

I don't believe there is, but I do feel like Bodahn is full of crap in talking about his discount. I think he charges more than others do. I also feel like the merchant at Warden's Keep charges less.

This may just all be in my head, though.

TheUsual

Gold Member
In preparation of DA2, I finished Awakening and played all of the DLCs. The DLCs were alright (Leliana's Song was the best bar none). Witch Hunt was a complete let down (this felt very rushed and the party members were just awful).

Hixx

Patryn said:
I don't believe there is, but I do feel like Bodahn is full of crap in talking about his discount. I think he charges more than others do. I also feel like the merchant at Warden's Keep charges less.

This may just all be in my head, though.

You are quite right. I remember picking up a backpack for ~4g less than Bodahn sold the initial 2 for.

HixxSAFC said:
You are quite right. I remember picking up a backpack for ~4g less than Bodahn sold the initial 2 for.
But the backpacks stack and you can buy only 1 from a vendor, so its not quiet the same as you know just a regular item being sold.

Hixx

Bodahn sells 2 Backpacks.

I was just using it as an example as to how his prices aren't at any real discount and in some cases not a discount at all.

kai3345

Banned
TheUsual said:
In preparation of DA2, I finished Awakening and played all of the DLCs. The DLCs were alright (Leliana's Song was the best bar none). Witch Hunt was a complete let down (this felt very rushed and the party members were just awful).
I thought the party members in Witch Hunt were the most entertaining of any of the DLC (Awakening included)

Najaf

So, is there a point in the story where I start racking in loads of gold/valuable goods? I see things marked at 100+ gold in some stores. And this is when I considered myself a rich man by having 26 gold.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I never really finished Dragon Age and I decided to just restart and this would get me the most out of the story right (and a proper save for DA2):
Human Noble/Male carried through in this order:
-Origins
-Stone Prisoner
-Return to Ostagar
-Warden's Keep
-Awakening
-Golems of Amgarrak
-Witch Hunt

Is there anything I should change?

Stallion Free said:
So I never really finished Dragon Age and I decided to just restart and this would get me the most out of the story right (and a proper save for DA2):
-Origins
-Stone Prisoner
-Return to Ostagar
-Warden's Keep
-Awakening
-Golems of Amgarrak
-Witch Hunt

You might want to play Leliana's Song, but nothing from it will carry over in to DA2. Return to Ostagar and Warden's Keep are also pretty lame.

endaround

Neo Member
Najaf said:
So, is there a point in the story where I start racking in loads of gold/valuable goods? I see things marked at 100+ gold in some stores. And this is when I considered myself a rich man by having 26 gold.
You get to the point where you can buy like 1 or 2 of those items, but unlike many RPGs you never reach a point where money is no object, especially if you donate anything to the camp boxes.

2San

darkpaladinmfc said:
You might want to play Leliana's Song, but nothing from it will carry over in to DA2. Return to Ostagar and Warden's Keep are also pretty lame.
They're done in the main quest so might as well do em. Not to mention warden's keep is pretty important for the additional class skills.

Link Man

Banned
So, I've been playing this since trying the DA2 demo, and have really started getting into it. Playing as an Elvish Rogue with dual-knives, and haven't had too much trouble so far (barring Ostagar, which just seems a bit unfair). I've also been playing on easy, as I'm still getting used to Western RPGs (hopefully I'm ready for Baldur's Gate after this).

Did the Circle Tower, and just now finished up the forest (which was a much more enjoyable area, IMO). Will probably head for Redcliffe next.

Also, how long does it take for Kevan to decide to teach you how to become an assassin? I've had a Class Point for several levels now, and wish to spend it (want to become an assassin/duelist combo).

Hixx

Got hit with the bloody gear bug in Awakenings last night, didn't know it would happen till after when I realized everyone but me had their gear back. 40 odd hours of gear accruement gone. At least Awakenings chucks gold at you like mad, should be able to replace most of it with store bought stuff.

Gvaz

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
Got hit with the bloody gear bug in Awakenings last night, didn't know it would happen till after when I realized everyone but me had their gear back. 40 odd hours of gear accruement gone. At least Awakenings chucks gold at you like mad, should be able to replace most of it with store bought stuff.

What's this bug? I'm starting awakenings so I don't know what's up.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Finished Awakening last night doing pretty much everything, which took me ~16 hours on the gameclock.

Decent and also dissapointing follow-up to Origins. The progression was atypical as were the quests, there was little unique or truly memorable coming from this add-on pack; however I did find the three major quest zones well devised and fun to muck through(particularly the haunted wood place).

On the Xbox 360 however, the game balance is all sorts of fucked up. I imported my old Origins character and with the throng of new high-level equipment to loot and earn, alongside the new uber-abilities, the game is a cakewalk. Played the entirety of it on Nightmare difficulty and outside of three major boss encounters, NOTHING in the entire game could do even minor damage to my party. It was ludicrous. Either a bug, or poor design foresight, it did make the experience feel more like a visual novel than a videogame.

Did get hit with a few bugs too, I missed out on the 'fully upgrade Vigil Keep' achievement because if you apparently turn in two quest items at once towards it, it only counts as one, thus the quest is forever incomplete. Yet, the game does treat the quest as complete in terms of narrative(my keep was described as fully upgraded in the epilogue).

Overall, it was C-grade quality(particularly as a Bioware product). Not horrible, not memorable, broken in ways, but expanding the lore just enough to not feel as a waste. Easilly the weakest thing attached to the Bioware name I've played since Jade Empire though.

Now to even bother with With Hunt or Golems?

kai3345

Banned
Brandon F said:
Finished Awakening last night doing pretty much everything, which took me ~16 hours on the gameclock.

Decent and also dissapointing follow-up to Origins. The progression was atypical as were the quests, there was little unique or truly memorable coming from this add-on pack; however I did find the three major quest zones well devised and fun to muck through(particularly the haunted wood place).

On the Xbox 360 however, the game balance is all sorts of fucked up. I imported my old Origins character and with the throng of new high-level equipment to loot and earn, alongside the new uber-abilities, the game is a cakewalk. Played the entirety of it on Nightmare difficulty and outside of three major boss encounters, NOTHING in the entire game could do even minor damage to my party. It was ludicrous. Either a bug, or poor design foresight, it did make the experience feel more like a visual novel than a videogame.

Did get hit with a few bugs too, I missed out on the 'fully upgrade Vigil Keep' achievement because if you apparently turn in two quest items at once towards it, it only counts as one, thus the quest is forever incomplete. Yet, the game does treat the quest as complete in terms of narrative(my keep was described as fully upgraded in the epilogue).

Overall, it was C-grade quality(particularly as a Bioware product). Not horrible, not memorable, broken in ways, but expanding the lore just enough to not feel as a waste. Easilly the weakest thing attached to the Bioware name I've played since Jade Empire though.

Now to even bother with With Hunt or Golems?

Golems for sure. But Witch Hunt is only really worth it if you had a male warden who romanced Morrigan

happyscrappypup

Neo Member
Edgeward said:
Took me around 18 hours for Awakening first time and doing it to 100%.

I don't think i got it to 100% but it took me like 10 hours and I was so sad when it was done. I wanted more dammit! more!! ... i can't wait for DA2

Hixx

Gvaz said:
What's this bug? I'm starting awakenings so I don't know what's up.

When you enter the Silverite Mine,
you are captured and stripped of your equipment. You gain it gradually back for your party except for you if you have the bug as one of the enemies doesn't spawn.

I tried some of the 'fixes' later which just made the matter worse, ie I lost *everything* for some reason. There is a mod that fixes it but I'd moved on and completed it when I found it.

Leucrota

Ledsen said:
Oh also, I got the sex scene with Morrigan. Holy shit that was awkward. What's wrong with her body? And why do they both have an underwear fetish? I wish they'd gone the ME1 route...

I am at the same area, well actually I just did it, and I know how you feel. Love this game, and I am playing it on consoles (really like the combat system).

Actually, I don't get why people say this game is unplayable on consoles, I am doing fine. Pausing the action is easy, and queuing up actions is easily done as well. It probably is easier on PC, but I think they did a great job consolizing the controls. Game has not been stuttering either, but it shouldn't with its less than detailed textures. I like the look though. Really takes off the oomph of how bad the textures are.

jackdoe

I remember playing Dragon Age Origins pre-patches at launch. It was pretty difficult. The patches considerably tones down the difficulty.

Patryn

Question about Awakening "Bombs Away" bug:

I got hit by the bug (I was stupid and grabbed both the lyrium sand in Kal'Hirol without thinking) so now I know I'll never be able to complete the quest. Will that mean that I can't defend Amaranthine without having Vigil's Keep fall, or does getting the Enduring Vigil achievement indicate that I'm good to go?

Awakening is super buggy and badly balanced, but it is kind of enjoyable. I'm also a fan of Anders, for the most part (don't like his love of the Tevinter), so I'm happy he'll be back in DA2. Will he have Ser Pounce-A-Lot? I hope so.

Stallion Free said:
-Origins
-Stone Prisoner
-Return to Ostagar
-Warden's Keep
-Awakening
-Golems of Amgarrak
-Witch Hunt

My personal order:

- Leliana's Song (as it's a prequel)
- Origins: Origin -> Ostagar -> Lothering -> Redcliffe Village
- Stone Prisoner (for Shale)
- Warden's Keep (for the chest)
- Origins: Everything up to calling of Landsmeet
- Return to Ostagar
- Origins: Finale
- Awakening
- Golems
- Witch Hunt

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Can anyone offer me some advice on dealing with Broken Circle and the Fade? My nightmare run has been going smoothly until now, as I made a stupid decision and entered the Circle of Magi with myself (mage), Morrigan and Wynne with Sten providing tanking duties. My biggest problem is that Sten takes so much damage but deals very little, is the two-handed weapon style really as crap as I think it is? Also in the Fade
at Weishaupt fortress I'm getting my ass handed to me by fake Duncan and his friends. My mage is specced for support and I just can't survive this specific encounter without getting slaughtered by D or stunned/knocked back.

Should I pussy out of Nightmare or load back to the camp before the quest? Now I'm in the Fade I'm almost at the stage with
multiple forms and the final boss
but the first area is impossible for my character. It would be a shame to lose all the time and frustration from the tower just to do it all over again. Level 8 here.

Top Bottom