• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

SpudBud

gdt5016 said:
Into what?

I just forced a retcon dammit. Who's King then?

If you sacrificed your Warden and then transfer that character to awakening, he shows up alive and well. All your other decisions stay the same though.

gdt

Morrigan tempted me super hard with that Ritual :lol. Would be interesting to see where that goes.

It's just that it's really hard to have a romance with Morrigan if you're a good-ish character. She's always disapproving and shit.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Playing DA:O again just to pass time until tomorrow and I find it hilarious that I have Zevran with me and every time I try to open a locked chest he says "Let me try that" and so I switch to him and try it and he cannot unlock it either.

Patryn

Weird. In my Awakenings,
I got caught in the Bombs Away! glitch, then Vigil's Keep held, but all my party members died anyways. It was weird.

gdt5016 said:
Morrigan tempted me super hard with that Ritual :lol. Would be interesting to see where that goes.

It's just that it's really hard to have a romance with Morrigan if you're a good-ish character. She's always disapproving and shit.

A couple of points in coercion and most decisions she disapproves of you can convince her of your side of things, resulting in little or no loss in reputation points. That plus gifts and chats at camp and it's easy to keep Morrigan happy even in a good party.

I accepted her ritual offer in a heartbeat, self sacrifice is for the birds.

Najaf

Question about the end game:

After defeating the archdemon, there is the whole ceremony with Alistar (I chose to use Morrigan to live). After speaking with Alistar, he says we will speak again before I leave but encourages me to go make an appearance for the people. After speaking with my other party members and VIPs, I cannot get any more dialog from Alistar. Once I go to the door and the guard asks if I am ready and I continue, it just goes to the written epilogue screens. Is there no way to return after this? Is there only the 'other campaigns' DLC and Awakenings?

jackdoe

Najaf said:
Question about the end game:

After defeating the archdemon, there is the whole ceremony with Alistar (I chose to use Morrigan to live). After speaking with Alistar, he says we will speak again before I leave but encourages me to go make an appearance for the people. After speaking with my other party members and VIPs, I cannot get any more dialog from Alistar. Once I go to the door and the guard asks if I am ready and I continue, it just goes to the written epilogue screens. Is there no way to return after this? Is there only the 'other campaigns' DLC and Awakenings?
Yep. There is no way to return after it.

gdt

Man, I've really been digging Awakenings. I put 9 hours into it today! Almost done I think.

Picked up some obvious similarities with ME2 as well, which I love. And all of the political stuff is aces.

kai3345

Banned
Fuck. Did anyone else get major slowdown on PC during the return to Redcliffe in the final hours of the game? I'm normally getting 60fps locked with max settings but then all of a sudden I dip to about 15 at this part. It's werid because there have been parts where there have been more enemies on screen and the framerate has been fine.

NeoForte

Just curious, did anyone happent o get or try out the Mac port of DAO? Ultimate Edition is on sale for $40 bucks and I really wanna grab it but I dunno if it's a good port or not. Any comments?

Ledsen said:
Yeah I'm having the same problems, although I'm only on Hard. I've done the Mage Tower and the Forest, am currently in Redcliffe. Alistair takes a fuck-ton of damage and has to constantly be healed by Wynne and Morrigan. I'm using two-handed weapons since I think they're pretty cool, but now I'm thinking I should've gone with sword/shield... it's too late now though since I've invested so many points in two-handed skills :(
I had the same problem until I got Shale who pretty much needs no curing...even though Wrynne somehow manages to run out of MP no matter what lol.

Gaaraz

My girlfriend hates video games (to be fair, she has a genuinely good reason for doing so) but recently has given them a try for my sake. Mass Effect, she's got quite into, but neither of us are really that into sci-fi. I'm wondering just how similar is this to Mass Effect in terms of story, options and characters?

The gameplay is massively offputting to me, I've played some old western RPGs (Baldur's Gate, Diablo, Neverwinter Nights etc) and they've been some of the most horrible gaming experiences of my life - so with that in mind I'm not sure whether to go Dragon Age 1, straight to Dragon Age 2, or just skip both?

Cheers

vocab

blizeH said:
My girlfriend hates video games (to be fair, she has a genuinely good reason for doing so) but recently has given them a try for my sake. Mass Effect, she's got quite into, but neither of us are really that into sci-fi. I'm wondering just how similar is this to Mass Effect in terms of story, options and characters?

The gameplay is massively offputting to me, I've played some old western RPGs (Baldur's Gate, Diablo, Neverwinter Nights etc) and they've been some of the most horrible gaming experiences of my life - so with that in mind I'm not sure whether to go Dragon Age 1, straight to Dragon Age 2, or just skip both?

Cheers
You should know the answer to that. The game is frontloaded with story and does a lot of things better than me. The gameplay is like bg, so I don't know why you expect it to be a mindless shooter like Me. Also if diablo was a horrible experience for you, you may want to just skip every wrpg.

Gaaraz

Thanks, I was kinda thinking/hoping that it would be a lot more accessible than BG, then I think the decent story and overall game world would help me play it, but 40+ hours of BG-esque gameplay doesn't really appeal unfortunately, no matter how good the story and characters are :(

There's no demo either is there? Will try the DA2 demo tonight at least and see how that is. Thanks again

Ledsen

vocab said:
You should know the answer to that. The game is frontloaded with story and does a lot of things better than me. The gameplay is like bg, so I don't know why you expect it to be a mindless shooter like Me. Also if diablo was a horrible experience for you, you may want to just skip every wrpg.

I don't know. I love wrpgs but I hate Diablo/Diablo 2/Torchlight.

Patryn

blizeH said:
Thanks, I was kinda thinking/hoping that it would be a lot more accessible than BG, then I think the decent story and overall game world would help me play it, but 40+ hours of BG-esque gameplay doesn't really appeal unfortunately, no matter how good the story and characters are :(

There's no demo either is there? Will try the DA2 demo tonight at least and see how that is. Thanks again

Trust me. If you hate BG and NWN, you would never like DA:O.

But definitely try DA2. It's been designed to appeal to people such as yourself, who were massively turned off by the old-school feeling of DA:O.

Gaaraz

Nice one, thanks guys - will check for a demo of the original tonight, but I don't think there is one? In which case I'll probably skip straight to 2 anyway. Cheers

droopy

Ultimate Edition for PC is $20 on the EA store right now if anyone cares.
I don't know if it is part of a PAX East deal or if they will have coupons again this year to make it even cheaper.

kai3345

Banned
My PC Ultimate Edition of Awakenings crashes every time I try to import my character.

Anyone else have this problem/ know how to fix it?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Finally beat the Dalish part of the main quest and I'm pretty sure it has been my favorite part of the game so far. I absolutely loved the side story and the music during the finale was ace.

Kweh

Just started Awakenings...

When you get the choice of making Anders a Grey Warden, does this have any ramifications on whether Mhairi survives The Joining a little later? Or does she always die in it?

kai3345

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Finally beat the Dalish part of the main quest and I'm pretty sure it has been my favorite part of the game so far. I absolutely loved the side story and the music during the finale was ace.
That is my favorite dungeon as well

Kweh said:
Just started Awakenings...

When you get the choice of making Anders a Grey Warden, does this have any ramifications on whether Mhairi survives The Joining a little later? Or does she always die in it?
She dies no matter what.

benita

Banned
Ok i'm about to jump into this game on the PC for the first time.

What's the consensus on the DLC? Does any of it demand playing? Any to avoid?

YoungHav

Banned
About to start this today. How many hours on average is each origin story? and when you start a new story do you start from scratch or does anything carry over?

Darklord

Banned
YoungHav said:
About to start this today. How many hours on average is each origin story? and when you start a new story do you start from scratch or does anything carry over?

An hour or two each and you start from scratch I believe.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
YoungHav said:
The origins took me each about 1.5 to 2.5 hours. I was very thorough when I played them and really enjoyed playing them all in a row. '

There is no new game +.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Stallion Free said:
Haha no. The origin stories lead into the intro of the game. The main game itself is easily 40+ hours.
My complete Origins playthrough with all sidequests except the ones "for certain parties" ran to just over 50.

Stallion Free said:
Which path did you take?
If you liked the music I'm guessing you ended the curse with Zathrian and Witherfang?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Thnikkaman said:
Which path did you take?
If you liked the music I'm guessing you ended the curse with Zathrian and Witherfang?
I had Zathrian sacrifice himself peacefully. I just wish they had developed that side story a bit more because I thought it was great.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Stallion Free said:
I had Zathrian sacrifice himself peacefully. I just wish they had developed that side story a bit more because I thought it was great.
That's the one. Great build up to
when the curse is broken and the humans are revealed.
Made me feel great for taking a third option, just like with
Connor. It's even better if you leave to ask the Circle to help him but you find them in the revolt!

esk1mo420

I've been using Shale as my tank and she's like a walking mountain..lol

Shale + Flawless Fire crystal armor against any Dragon is laughable :)

2San

YoungHav said:
Origins stories are definitely worth playing. Helps a lot in knowing who to hate and what not. Minor spoiler not sure how strict you are so just in case:
It's also interesting to find clue's about what happened to the origin characters if you aren't playing him.

jgwhiteus

I've been going through Awakenings and think I'm nearing the last parts of the game (about 12 hours in).

They really should have thought about rebalancing things - it's way too easy on Nightmare. My Origins rogue character was already pretty overpowered with good gear, and instead of throwing tougher enemies or situations at you, Awakenings just gives you a lot of the same enemies but even MORE overpowered abilities and a bunch of ridiculous stat-boosted gear (like, how many armors and accessories do I need with +50 stamina, +4 to all attributes, +100% critical / backstab damage, etc.) Anders will regularly one-shot enemies with a simple freeze spell because his magic stat is at something like 120+. I fought off a bunch of Revenants with simple melee attacks without my health really ever dropping.

In any case, plot has been semi-interesting but things seem pretty short. After I finish this am thinking about picking up DA2 for PC once more copies drop into the $20-$30 range (think it's already $40 for download at Amazon, and have seen new copies for $35 in the marketplace - don't know what it says when a week after release you can already find copies for 40% off).

Almak

Picked up the Ultimate Edition on Steam the other day and man! The DLC activation completely fucked me over.
Entered the code to redeem the stuff, after which it spit out at me a message that the thing I got is an "Unrecognized Item" and none of the DLC was actually added as a result. The code is useless now and all the DLC in-game is flagged as unauthorized. Great...

dionysus

Yaldog
I just started playing witch hunt, and the combat is really easy even on nightmare. I have been through 3 of the areas so far and haven't had to use any strategy so far on nightmare. Does it get harder?

In comparison, I thought vanilla DAO was pretty challenging even on the lower difficulties.

kai3345

Banned
dionysus said:
I just started playing witch hunt, and the combat is really easy even on nightmare. I have been through 3 of the areas so far and haven't had to use any strategy so far on nightmare. Does it get harder?

In comparison, I thought vanilla DAO was pretty challenging even on the lower difficulties.
With the exception of Golems, all of the DLC is pretty easy

dionysus said:

Nope Nightmare is just as piss easy in vanilla as it is in awakenings and other DLC. Once you get high enough level you should be able to rip through anything without trouble. Well maybe except two mages spamming some curses at you or chain lightning.

Gvaz

Banned
Patryn said:
Trust me. If you hate BG and NWN, you would never like DA:O.

But definitely try DA2. It's been designed to appeal to people such as yourself, who were massively turned off by the old-school feeling of DA:O.

I tried getting into BG ages ago and I hated it cause I got my ass handed to me in the first ten minutes and I didn't really know what I was doing.

NWN I was so hyped for, I bought it on release, and even though I barely could play it on my computer at the time I thought it was shit. I liked the editor though.

I loved DA:O though and dropped 80~ hours into it.

Would I drop another playthrough? Probably.

Edgeward

YoungHav said:
Has anyone here platinum'd this game? If so how many hours did it take?

Took me over 100 hours total, but that includes my first playthrough which was close to 50. If you have Awakenings, it'll cut the time by a good amount since you can make a new warden and fulfill the rogue, mage, warrior to level 20 pretty quickly.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
YoungHav said:
Has anyone here platinum'd this game? If so how many hours did it take?

I just played through the game 3 times as one of either class. No idea how long it took me, 100 hours or so. Have finished it twice since then. It's not hard. But if you like the game it shouldn't be a problem.

Cedstick

Y'know, it's already too late since I'm stubborn and accepted the tool-tips notes that alluded to dual-wield Warrior being totally viable, sinking points in to respective talents, but is it absolutely terrible? The aim I'm going for right now is just getting by with strength and self-tanking with a shield right now until I can dual-wield two normal-sized swords. Utter shit? Yes? No?

Patryn

Cedstick said:
Y'know, it's already too late since I'm stubborn and accepted the tool-tips notes that alluded to dual-wield Warrior being totally viable, sinking points in to respective talents, but is it absolutely terrible? The aim I'm going for right now is just getting by with strength and self-tanking with a shield right now until I can dual-wield two normal-sized swords. Utter shit? Yes? No?

Dual-wield builds benefit from investing in dexterity, because they're designed to compensate for their lack of armor through the ability to not get hit.

Also, weapons have secret speed values, so dual-wielding longswords will mean that you're still attacking less than if you were dual-wielding daggers. Basically, a dual-wielding rogue with daggers will probably end up with a higher DPS than your warrior.

But it is totally viable.

Top Bottom