• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

I just restarted to rectify my rogue problem (I'm playing on nightmare) and god damn I forgot how good the dialogue between Morrigan and Alistair is.

Just the first time they meet:

Alistair
"Swooping... is... bad"
"You're some kind of... sneaky... witch-thief!"

LMAO for the second time.

Mikey Jr.

Recently bought Ultimate version of this for the 360 after playing about 10 hours of the normal edition on the PS3.

-SWEET FUCK THIS GAME IS AMAZING. I already have 15 hours done and just started playing a few days ago.
-I remember getting Wynn and her being bad ass at magic, but I really don't want to break up my Shale, Morrigan, and Alistar group. Is there really a wrong group to go with? Are these 3 guys ok?

-What DLC should I leave for the end/what order? I saw a previous poster say leave Witch Hunt last and Awakenings before it. This correct? What about other DLC? Already played Wardens Keep, Stone Prisoner, and Return to Ostagar. I'm guessing with the others, you can only play with going to new game? What order should I play them in? In the order that they are shown in when selecting them?

Thanks guys!

Fucking pumped for Dragon Age 2.

kai3345

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:
Recently bought Ultimate version of this for the 360 after playing about 10 hours of the normal edition on the PS3.

-SWEET FUCK THIS GAME IS AMAZING. I already have 15 hours done and just started playing a few days ago.
-I remember getting Wynn and her being bad ass at magic, but I really don't want to break up my Shale, Morrigan, and Alistar group. Is there really a wrong group to go with? Are these 3 guys ok?

-What DLC should I leave for the end/what order? I saw a previous poster say leave Witch Hunt last and Awakenings before it. This correct? What about other DLC? Already played Wardens Keep, Stone Prisoner, and Return to Ostagar. I'm guessing with the others, you can only play with going to new game? What order should I play them in? In the order that they are shown in when selecting them?

Thanks guys!

Fucking pumped for Dragon Age 2.

Wyyne: You really should use her, unless you've made your character a healing mage. It sucks, but you'll probably get constantly raped without her.

DLC: heres the order you should play in:
Any DLC besides Amgarrak, Awakenings and Witch Hunt -> Amgarrak -> Awakening -> Witch Hunt

Just finished Leliana's Song, and the last three dialog scenes repeated themselves twice. Is this a common error? Cause it was hilarious.

Also during the last battle
Marjoline was standing by the cliff like a statue, unresponsive
. Figure that wasn't supposed to be.

Monocle

I picked up the Ultimate Edition last Black Friday and I've been playing it for a few days now. My main character is a standard sword & shield guy; I made an alternate profile with a mage just in case I tire of him.

A couple day ago I got reamed by a pack of doggies in Castle Redcliffe. If it weren't for Morrigan's Cone of Cold I have no idea how I would have deal with them. (Sure, they were in a side room that I could have avoided, but I wanted experience, dammit!)

Know what I hate about games like this? I can never figure out how to build a decent character, and when I look at guides it's tough to decide which advice to take. I already made a choice I regret by wasting a point on trap building. I'll never ever use that shit. Why did I do that? I wish there were a way to redistribute points. Anyway, if you've discovered an especially effective combination of skills or whatever, please share. I'm going to comb the earlier pages of this thread for info before I play again, because I feel like I should have some sort of plan in mind before I level my characters further.

Erasus

Monocle said:
Know what I hate about games like this? I can never figure out how to build a decent character, and when I look at guides it's tough to decide which advice to take. I already made a choice I regret by wasting a point on trap building. I'll never ever use that shit. Why did I do that? I wish there were a way to redistribute points. Anyway, if you've discovered an especially effective combination of skills or whatever, please share. I'm going to comb the earlier pages of this thread for info before I play again, because I feel like I should have some sort of plan in mind before I level my characters further.

But that is the fun! You have to get into the game, read guides and stuff to learn about it. Get a class guide for your class from gamefaqs or something and follow that if you want. I did for my 2nd char (a rouge) and it was pretty good.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/920668-dragon-age-origins/faqs/58309

Oh, and respec mod:
http://social.bioware.com/project/469/

kai3345 said:
Any DLC besides Amgarrak, Awakenings and Witch Hunt -> Amgarrak -> Awakening -> Witch Hunt

You should leave the Darkspawn one 'till after you complete Origins, too. Or not play it at all, as it's pretty bad.

kai3345

Banned
HadesGigas said:
Just finished Leliana's Song, and the last three dialog scenes repeated themselves twice. Is this a common error? Cause it was hilarious.

Also during the last battle
Marjoline was standing by the cliff like a statue, unresponsive
. Figure that wasn't supposed to be.
THis happened to me too.

Mikey Jr.

kai3345 said:
Wyyne: You really should use her, unless you've made your character a healing mage. It sucks, but you'll probably get constantly raped without her.

Ok, cool, thanks a lot.

Guess I'm trading Shale for Wyyne. Sucks, but ok.

Patryn

Mikey Jr. said:
Ok, cool, thanks a lot.

Guess I'm trading Shale for Wyyne. Sucks, but ok.

If you set up your tactics properly, guide Morrigan's development properly, invest in herbalism, and buy a lot of potion ingredients, you can easily survive without Wynne as a non-mage.

I subscribed to the Wynne = Needed for my first two playthroughs, but my third run, as a rogue, I just made sure I had plenty of potions and I was fine.

Just remember that the Dalish have infinite amounts of elfroot and Bodahn has infinite empty flasks.

Gattsu25

Banned
So I decided to start playing the steam Ultimate Edition.

I make my character, get past the origin section and quit for the night. This morning I find that the game is claiming that most of my DLC is unauthorized and will not let me resume my save.

The following are all showing up as authorized, none of the rest are:
  • Lucky Stone
  • Embri's Many Pockets
  • Dragon Age Awakenings

So now I can't play my own fucking game on the save that I was using last fucking night.

I've restarted my PC, verified file integrity, deleted and re-installed the game, and have tried every possible sequence of logging in/out of my EA account from within the game.

Never again, Bioware/EA

Never fucking again.

Ledsen

Fuuuuuck, Hard in this game is REALLY FUCKING HARD. I'm at the beginning, in Lothering, sporting my main (Rogue), Alistair, Morrigan and Leliana. I'm getting my ass kicked by the three groups of bandits north of the town and have to reload several times before I beat them (usually with only one or two members surviving). Any tips? I don't any sort of AoE spell or anything like that, and no healer... will the rest of the game be like this?

Geoff9920

Gattsu25 said:

I make my character, get past the origin section and quit for the night. This morning I find that the game is claiming that most of my DLC is unauthorized and will not let me resume my save.

• Lucky Stone
  • Embri's Many Pockets
  • Dragon Age Awakenings

So now I can't play my own fucking game on the save that I was using last fucking night.

I've restarted my PC, verified file integrity, deleted and re-installed the game, and have tried every possible sequence of logging in/out of my EA account from within the game.

Never again, Bioware/EA

Never fucking again.
Here's a thread about it on the steam forums.

I had this same issue and this is the solution that worked for me(also posted in the linked thread).
For everyone who is having problems with the DLC on the ultimate edition - I have the answer. I was told what to do by a friend of mine who had the same problem and his worked straight away, didn't thing the same would work for me but gave it a try anyway.

hopefully it will work for everyone else too.

find your dragon age folder, you may have saved it else where but this is how I find mine.

C:\Program Files \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ dragon age ultimate edition

once your in there find the file that says REDIST should be near the bottom, once in there run the file that says DAOU_UpdateAddinsXML_Steam when that finishes run the other file called DAUServiceSetup_Steam, when both have finished start up your dragon age ultimate and hopefully everything should be working.
Hope this helps.

kai3345

Banned
Gattsu25 said:

• Lucky Stone
  • Embri's Many Pockets
  • Dragon Age Awakenings

Never again, Bioware/EA

Never fucking again.
Have you registered with the BioWare social site?

Gattsu25

Banned
Geoff9920 said:
Here's a thread about it on the steam forums.

I had this same issue and this is the solution that worked for me(also posted in the linked thread).
Hope this helps.
I had to do this when I first installed Dragon Age in order to get my DLC recognized. I tried it again with no success.
kai3345 said:
Have you registered with the BioWare social site?
Here are the entitlements that I have for Dragon Age PC

http://social.bioware.com/user_entitlements.php

xVE4M.jpg

Ledsen said:
Fuuuuuck, Hard in this game is REALLY FUCKING HARD. I'm at the beginning, in Lothering, sporting my main (Rogue), Alistair, Morrigan and Leliana. I'm getting my ass kicked by the three groups of bandits north of the town and have to reload several times before I beat them (usually with only one or two members surviving). Any tips? I don't any sort of AoE spell or anything like that, and no healer... will the rest of the game be like this?
Huh, I started playing the game again and I had to bump up the difficulty to HARD (which still feels easier than normal the first time I played DA:O) because normal was too easy this time around for some reason. I am not really using any mods for combat/difficulty besides advanced tactics.

The obvious tips would be to make potions, use crowd control and focus on one target.

Tokubetsu

Lostconfused said:
Huh, I started playing the game again and I had to bump up the difficulty to HARD (which still feels easier than normal the first time I played DA:O) because normal was too easy this time around for some reason. I am not really using any mods for combat/difficulty besides advanced tactics.

The obvious tips would be to make potions, use crowd control and focus on one target.

This. Definitely gonna want a dedicated healer and someone who can make potions as soon as possible. Focus on your crowd control and keeping the tank up and aggressive. If you're in situations where you get to pull/start the fight, go in with an aoe spell first. Preferably something that can shutdown a few of them completely or debuff them etc.

Salaadin

I kinda want to buy and finish Awakening and Witch Hunt before DA2 drops but Im having a hard time justifying the 30 bucks for it. I own the STeam version of DA:O. Does this mean I need to Steam version of Awakening also? Or can I buy the retail version and install it without a hitch?

Tokubetsu

Salaadin said:
I kinda want to buy and finish Awakening and Witch Hunt before DA2 drops but Im having a hard time justifying the 30 bucks for it. I own the STeam version of DA:O. Does this mean I need to Steam version of Awakening also? Or can I buy the retail version and install it without a hitch?
You need the steam version.

JohngPR

Crap, that kind of screws me up to. Lol Amazon has Awakenings for $15. :(

Now that I'm on the last leg of Dragon Age Origins, I was wondering if any of the DLC stuff ties into Dragon Age 2?

Salaadin

JohngPR said:
Crap, that kind of screws me up to. Lol Amazon has Awakenings for $15. :(

Now that I'm on the last leg of Dragon Age Origins, I was wondering if any of the DLC stuff ties into Dragon Age 2?

Yeah I planned on getting it from amazon too. I doubt its going to go on sale on steam between now and release too.

I might just buy Witch Hunt then and thatll be the extent of my DA:O extras.

X-Frame

So I have the Ultimate Edition and beat the main storyline and with DA2 coming in a month I'm trying to put the DLC into the order that I should be doing them in before DA2 ..

Can someone help me? What's the best order?

I know that Witch Hunt should be the last one that I do, but not sure about the others.

Ponti

X-Frame said:
So I have the Ultimate Edition and beat the main storyline and with DA2 coming in a month I'm trying to put the DLC into the order that I should be doing them in before DA2 ..

Can someone help me? What's the best order?

I know that Witch Hunt should be the last one that I do, but not sure about the others.
kai3345 said:
Usually they are done in order of which is easiest to hardest as you work your way through the story, but since you've already completed it the order won't be that important.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Just started Awakenings. Mhairi started at ;level 23, with no skills learned and no points available. Is that how it's supposed to be?

Gattsu25

Banned
Latest Update: So I uninstalled the game again and re-installed.

When I am logged in now, the same DLC as before shows up as not-authorized.
When I log out of my EA/Bioware account, all the DLC shows up as authorized.

WTF?

Salaadin

Another question about Steam versions:

Does the digital version of DA:O ultimate come in one, single, all around package containing EVERYTHING in one download? Or does it come with DA:O regular and then codes to unlock all of the DLC and Awakening?

Heres my situation:
I own DA:O regular on steam. I want Awakening and need to buy the Steam version.
Awakening costs 30 bucks. DA:O Ultimate costs 40 bucks but comes with all of the DLC and Awakening.

I own no other DLC for DA:O other than Wardens Keep. If I were to buy the rest of the DLC today from Bioware, itd cost 44 bucks. If I buy the Ultimate Edition, I get the rest of the DLC AND Awakening.

My only problem lies in the fact that I already own DA:O and would rather not redownload that. Can I buy the Ultimate Edition and still access all of the DLC and Awakening in my regular edition or would they act as 2 separate games?

Gattsu25

Banned
Salaadin said:

Does the digital version of DA:O ultimate come in one, single, all around package containing EVERYTHING in one download? Or does it come with DA:O regular and then codes to unlock all of the DLC and Awakening?

Heres my situation:
I own DA:O regular on steam. I want Awakening and need to buy the Steam version.
Awakening costs 30 bucks. DA:O Ultimate costs 40 bucks but comes with all of the DLC and Awakening.

I own no other DLC for DA:O other than Wardens Keep. If I were to buy the rest of the DLC today from Bioware, itd cost 44 bucks. If I buy the Ultimate Edition, I get the rest of the DLC AND Awakening.

My only problem lies in the fact that I already own DA:O and would rather not redownload that. Can I buy the Ultimate Edition and still access all of the DLC and Awakening in my regular edition or would they act as 2 separate games?
Pretty sure steam puts DAO:U in a separate directory so you will have to redownload it all

kitzkozan

Salaadin said:

Heres my situation:

I don't have the steam version,but I own DA:O on pc with the stone prisoner.I decided to buy the ultimate edition which cost less than buying everything else if it were on sale at 50% less (got the ultimate edition cheap as well :] ).

I had to uninstall DA:O as the Ultimate edition is an all in one install (in fact,the end song credit of origins is not the same in the ultimate edition).So yes,you would probably have to uninstall DA:O and reinstall the origins version of the ultimate edition.

JohngPR said:

Not sure if your choices in any of the DLC is tracked, but Anders appears in Awakening and DA2 as a party member.

Salaadin

Just tried the method outlined in the link above and its working so far. I bought the Ulitmate Edition for 40 bucks, started the download and then paused it after the preparation stuff, copied over my DA:O files, and then verified the game cache.

The download started back up and Steam went thru the process of downloading all of the DLC + Awakening but skipped over any files that I already had. It still listed the total download at 24GBs but when everything was said and done, Steam only really downloaded 5 GBs and it was done in about 90 mins.

I then registered all of my codes with Bioware and the DLC was added to my account. However, the game was listing the DLC as "Unauthorized" and wouldnt let me access it until I did some workaround from Biowares forums to get things working as they should again. I booted up the game, all of my settings and saves were in tact, and the DLC is working. I just started Stone Prisoner.

I didnt try Awakening yet to see if it worked but Ill get to that once I finish up the DLC I missed.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
finished Awakening. Did it to have a save file for DA2. I didn't like it that much. Characters need more dept. It was ok, but the most memorable part is the final boss because it's disgusting and pretty hard. Game was too easy even with bumped difficulty level. Moving on Divinity II and it feels so much better. I want to play Dragon Age II to see if I should get excited about any Bioware's new IP.

Salaadin

Does Darkspawn Chronicles not have any save transfer stuff? I started it this morning and it went right into the game without asking me to transfer anything. Is that right?

Which of the extras do allow save transfer? Just Lelianas Song, Amgarrak, Witch Hunt, and Awakening?

Salaadin said:
Which of the extras do allow save transfer? Just Lelianas Song, Amgarrak, Witch Hunt, and Awakening?

Just Amgarrak, Witch Hunt, and Awakening. Most of the rest have achievements that unlock equipment for use in the campaigns though.

Kweh said:
This game is kicking my ass on Normal. Are there any preferred tactics builds for each character?

Where are you in the game? And what kind of character do you want to play?

Some people think it's cheating, but if you're playing on PC, the respec mod is pretty essential in my opinion.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I went through an origin story on Nightmare the other day, chose Dwarf Noble and scraped through with no falls or injuries. I quicksaved a lot, so that's probably cheating! They do throw you into a combat situation where the party is totally surrounded and another with a team of 5 archers and a genlock alpha. Definitely the toughest fights I remember in an origin.

GriffD17

Finally started this bad boy and getting deep enough past the intro to get into it.

I'm a little bummed that the tactics part of the combat (i.e., setting up NPC party members in the menu) to not be that intuitive. I've tried different commands, and different "numbered priorites" and it just doesn't seem to work right. That and the game seems a bit more difficult than it should be considering I'm still just beginning essentially.

X-Frame

I'm on Awakening now and love the fact that I can ReSpec my characters. Don't know why this wasn't patched somehow into Origins, but it's making things so much better.

kai3345

Banned
X-Frame said:
I'm on Awakening now and love the fact that I can ReSpec my characters. Don't know why this wasn't patched somehow into Origins, but it's making things so much better.
Too bad the campaign its compatible in blows cock

HankToms

I tried installing the no helmet hack with the DAModder, but my guy still has a helmet on. They mentioned something about a rule book. what is that, or where is that? I can't find :/

Patryn

Thnikkaman said:
I went through an origin story on Nightmare the other day, chose Dwarf Noble and scraped through with no falls or injuries. I quicksaved a lot, so that's probably cheating! They do throw you into a combat situation where the party is totally surrounded and another with a team of 5 archers and a genlock alpha. Definitely the toughest fights I remember in an origin.

I'm going to guess you never played the Baldur's Gate games.

F5 is your best friend

Ugh, I'm so pissed. I'm trying to get a final save ready for DA2 and the stupid bug at the end of Witches Hunt (
Morrigan erroneously thinks you refused her dark ritual
) won't go away (I'm on PS3). All of the DLC was so buggy, but I love how there's a final fuck you from BW in the very end.

And if I'm reading things correctly, the only way to really get rid of it is to play through Awakenings, Golems AND Witch Hunt again using a DA:O epilogue save that was untouched after the ending. (or, I could skip Awakenings and Golems, but the whole point is to have a complete save for DA2).

Top Bottom