• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

RedSwirl

I'm in the middle of Awakening now and I'm actually thinking about going through the whole thing on easy.

I'm not having any trouble with the combat, it's just the least interesting part of the game for me. There's not really anything wrong with it, but I've really started to see it as just a barrier between me and getting to do more interaction with the characters.

Flipside

I bought the PC version of Dragon Age quite a while back but haven't gotten around to actually playing it yet. I wanted to start the game but I am thinking about buying the ultimate edition because that's the best deal for getting all the DLC. Is the PC version the way to go or is the 360 version also a good option? (since my console setup has big screen and better sound).

Should I buy the ultimate edition for PC, is it possible to start playing on my regular PC version until it arrives and carry over the save game?

Ledsen

Flipside said:
I bought the PC version of Dragon Age quite a while back but haven't gotten around to actually playing it yet. I wanted to start the game but I am thinking about buying the ultimate edition because that's the best deal for getting all the DLC. Is the PC version the way to go or is the 360 version also a good option? (since my console setup has big screen and better sound).

Should I buy the ultimate edition for PC, is it possible to start playing on my regular PC version until it arrives and carry over the save game?

Do not but the console version, trust me (and everyone else in this thread who will echo me).

I felt the momentum from this leave me about half way through awakenings. I'm slogging through the DLC just cause I have the ultimate edition.

Great game, but the DLC and everything was so fragmented. I felt handicapped throughout.

TheUsual

Gold Member
RedSwirl said:
Not just DLC, but any save files attached to DLC. Logging out of their servers solved the problem for me.
The game wouldn't let me play any of my characters with the DLC attached to them. Luckily, the problem was resolved and I can get back in.

EDIT
The sentence I bolded, you can do that?!

RedSwirl

Okay so I just finished Awakening. In order to be able to import my file into DAII eventually (yes I still want to do that), can I skip "Golems of Amgarrak" and go straight to "Witch Hunt"?

I got a little tired of my human warrior and I made some bad choices with his skills so I decided to start over with a Rogue. Any tips for which stats to focus on and skills to get?

Also, I think I'm going to be an elf. Is Dalish or City elf the better origin?

kai3345

Banned
electroshockwave said:
I got a little tired of my human warrior and I made some bad choices with his skills so I decided to start over with a Rogue. Any tips for which stats to focus on and skills to get?

City Elf by far. Its the best origin in the game.

On the flipside the Dalish Origin is the worst in the game. Unlike the other Origins, it doesn't tie into the main story at all (well excluding the Witch Hunt DLC)

2San

electroshockwave said:

There are respec mods out there. Made the game so much better for me. :O

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
kai3345 said:

On the flipside the Dalish Origin is the worst in the game. Unlike the other Origins, it doesn't tie into the main story at all (well excluding the Witch Hunt DLC)

I can second this. I just started up another game of Origins recently and the City Elf was the only one I'd never done. It's definitely the best or second best origin in my opinion.

webrunner

kai3345 said:

And Dragon Age 2, interestingly enough.

RedSwirl said:
Okay so I just finished Awakening. In order to be able to import my file into DAII eventually (yes I still want to do that), can I skip "Golems of Amgarrak" and go straight to "Witch Hunt"?

Yes, you can skip Golems no problem.

Is the Warden's Keep DLC any good? I mainly want it for the storage chest but if I were to get it just for that I'd feel like I was rewarding Bioware for withholding something so basic from an RPG.

Also, does anyone have any tips for romancing Morrigan? Do you have to reach a certain point in the main quest or something? I've got her approval somewhere in the 80s which I thought should be high enough and I'd heard she won't sleep with you if she loves you so I'm not sure what to do.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
kai3345 said:

I'd argue that the human female rogue/warrior is the best. Since it leads to the best possible ending and that the Arl Howe story arc actually has some emtional punch.

kai3345

Banned
kinoki said:
I'd argue that the human female rogue/warrior is the best. Since it leads to the best possible ending and that the Arl Howe story arc actually has some emtional punch.
its the same with the city elf, except with the Alienage section

MechaX

electroshockwave said:
Is the Warden's Keep DLC any good? I mainly want it for the storage chest but if I were to get it just for that I'd feel like I was rewarding Bioware for withholding something so basic from an RPG.

I liked Warden's Keep. It was fairly short, but it had a pretty interesting story in its own right, has some good rewards (most notably the item box), and has an event where you can get an extremely powerful and unique sword (unfortunately, it doesn't quite transfer over to Awakening in any way you would expect if you ever intend on playing that)

TheUsual

Gold Member
electroshockwave said:

Also, does anyone have any tips for romancing Morrigan? Do you have to reach a certain point in the main quest or something? I've got her approval somewhere in the 80s which I thought should be high enough and I'd heard she won't sleep with you if she loves you so I'm not sure what to do.
Warden's Keep has one of the best armor sets you can get and you get access to a smith who can make a great weapon as well.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
kai3345 said:
its the same with the city elf, except with the Alienage section

You can't get married at the end, which means you can't be the ruler alongside Alister and you don't get to avange your family. It carries a better emotion wrap-up for me.

kinoki said:
You can't get married at the end, which means you can't be the ruler alongside Alister and you don't get to avange your family. It carries a better emotion wrap-up for me.
Right but apparently the warden can be come a chancellor and ends up running the country since Alistair doesn't really care to rule. That last part is an assumption on my part because the epilogue can get kind of convoluted and not make any sense at all.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just picked it up, finally. Here's my girl:

q9KnR.png

Not bad for a BioWare game. When are they going to learn that people grow hair from all over their head, not just the top? All the long hairstyles look so weird with the single sheet of hair draped over their skull.

Commence mission "Find armor that doesn't look stupid and a bow"

kai3345

Banned
Dice said:
Just picked it up, finally. Here's my girl:

q9KnR.png

Not bad for a BioWare game. When are they going to learn that people grow hair from all over their head, not just the top? All the long hairstyles look so weird with the single sheet of hair draped over their skull.

good luck doing that as a rogue

InertiaXr

I got the Ultimate Edition in the Christmas Steam sale, thinking of installing this 23gig behemoth for after finals are over. Any required mods that I should get? I played up to the end of the first area/battle when I first bought it and enjoyed it but no time to play, and wanted to make a new dude, hopefully a archer rogue. I've heard archers are mostly useless though, is that true?

kai3345

Banned
InertiaXr said:
I got the Ultimate Edition in the Christmas Steam sale, thinking of installing this 23gig behemoth for after finals are over. Any required mods that I should get? I played up to the end of the first area/battle when I first bought it and enjoyed it but no time to play, and wanted to make a new dude, hopefully a archer rogue. I've heard archers are mostly useless though, is that true?
Might want to get one of the respec mods so incase you dont like your character's playstyle you can change them without having to restart the game.

InertiaXr said:
I've heard archers are mostly useless though, is that true?

your mileage may vary, but I didn't find rogue archers to be useless, though they start out weaker and get stronger as you go along, or at least that was my impression. By the end of origins, leliana did quite a lot of damage and was also effective as a secondary source of crowd control. Playing an archer PC might suck at times though, but honestly the first few levels have that D&D "well great, i've got 2 abilities. how boring" feel to them no matter what class you are, and you'll have few if any AoEs or CC, both of which are the bread and butter of a strong party. (edit) i'd add that this is one of the great thing about the Origins theme because the first few levels also have really cool backstories that distract from the obnoxiousness of being weak and learning the mechanics.

If anything, I'd say that the game discourages melee classes other than a single tank. I never used the non-shield-spec warriors in my party because they didn't do enough damage and generally got in the way of my nukes. It's a shame really because all the best dialogue is with the melee classes so far as i can tell.

that said, enjoy the game. It's freakig amazing and the best game bioware have made since kotor, though it's honestly not really like that game.

Mr_Zombie

Dice said:
If you're playing on PC (and I assume you are) just install few mods; otherwise you will have a hard time finding an interesting armor for rouge.

Dice

Stupid Nexus fail site. I have an account from when I was getting stuff for Fallout 3 ages ago. On the main Nexus forums I can log in just fine but if I try to log into any of their affiliate sites it doesn't work.

Dice

PLEASE tell me there is a way to increase the dialogue text size. Why even include 1080 if it's going to be like this...

Dice

Rufus said:
How far away do you sit from the monitor?
My head is usually 3 1/2 feet away. I sit back with my feet up like a boss with a wireless keyboard and a trackball mouse. Even if I used a desk, I wouldn't want my whole field of vision to be swallowed up by my 24" monitor, and I have bad eyesight anyway. I can still read tiny fonts like the small descriptions in Steam but it's annoying, so I use the NoSquint extension in Firefox and set Windows to a custom DPI.

Yessss! I love PC gaming.

Now, is there a fix for the wonky DoF effect?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Thanks to the Steam sale, I've started playing this again. First time on PC and it's basically an entirely different game. The iso view alone is amazing.

I'm playing as an Elf Mage and enjoying some of the total dick responses that they let you use. So good and I have sooo much to play with Awakenings and all the DLC.

Ellis Kim

Banned
electroshockwave said:
Late reply, but you don't have to worry about her not sleeping with you as long as you've managed to romance her before doing her Black Grimore quest. Personally, I managed to bed Morrigan on the first time you access camp. She's not terribly difficult, just be prepared to not always keep her in the party if you feel like being a goody-two-shoes. And lots of saves...

She also doesn't munch on carpet.

Dice

I'm finally to the point where I can respec my characters with this mod I got. I should have gotten the mod that prevents characters from being auto-leveled when they join. I mean what's the point of Morrigan if she's spreading her skills across every branch of magic to end up with weak, redundant spells? And it's nice that Leliana can open some locks that I couldn't, but I'm the archer around here, and why does she have those skills if she's walking around with a sword, anyway? Reeeespeeeec!

Dice

It's like I'm playing an entirely new game, it's called "how much of a hardass can I be without Alistair leaving"

I have three rules:
1) If you were killing innocents for any reason, I will kill you.
...if you won't join my party.
2) If you try to kill me, I will kill you even if you stop to beg for your life. At the end of the world you should be smart enough to know who not to mess with.
3) If you're just going to be a bitch waiting for the world to end, I won't help you. We're Grey Wardens, not the Red Cross.

Feels good telling all these whiny bitches to shove it. Also, the PC version is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.
I completely freaking obliterated the Ogre at the beacon. He gave me so much trouble on PS3.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nice, I'm playing as a total dick too. They let you be pretty damn evil. I liked siding with the profiteer in the first town because the starving townspeople wouldn't beat his price, then killing him afterwards just for fun.

Alistar is always a bitch about it but I don't mind if he leaves. He stays back at camp with Wynne and Leilana anyways.

Dice

I took a discount but I didn't kill him because I had a lot of stuff I wanted to sell that moment. I told the townspeople to screw off because if they had so much money to cover his ridiculous prices, they could have hired someone
like me
to kill him. I gave them a chance, but they refused. They probably would have gone for it if I had come earlier when they had more money. Idiots.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've searched the Nexus site and didn't find much, so do you guys know of any good Mage outfits made by the mod community? The rags they give you in the game are embarrassing and all the mods are for female mages (creeps).

I have to use the respect mod as well because I accidentally made my character learn to be a shapeshifter. I don't want to be a goddamn shapeshifter :(.

Anyways, I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

Dice

These are all I found:
http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2092
http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=423
http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=589
http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=118
http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1935

What I really need is a non-Xena female rogue outfit. Something like what you find in Divinity 2. If I remember correctly, the elves have light armor with pants, right? Maybe I should go to the forest next...

Dice

in4FAk.jpg

Someone reeeaaaallly needs to retex these ungodly carts. Worst textures in the game.

in8VQk.jpg

I still quite like my character.

Dice

Is it possible to play this in fullscreen with no window border? With TF2 that was the key to being able to alt+tab out of it more quickly while still being fullscreen, but with that I just added -noborder and I don't think that will work here since the game has its own launcher.

These BioWare achievements are super lame and I wish I could turn them off. I mean, achievements are normally kind of worthless to me, only functioning as an occasional guide for extending gameplay a bit, but having them only exist in their own little BioWare club? SUPER lame.

kai3345

Banned
Dice said:
Is it possible to play this in fullscreen with no window border? With TF2 that was the key to being able to alt+tab out of it more quickly while still being fullscreen, but with that I just added -noborder and I don't think that will work here since the game has its own launcher.

These BioWare achievements are super lame and I wish I could turn them off. I mean, achievements are normally kind of worthless to me, only functioning as an occasional guide for extending gameplay a bit, but having them only exist in their own little BioWare club? SUPER lame.
Mine just defaults to true fullscreen no matter what. So idk how I would get to it from your position, but it is definitely possible.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
kai3345 said:

Surprisingly the Dalish Origin story does tie into DA2 somewhat. Or at least it ties heavily into one of your companion's storylines. Can't imagine many would have even picked up on that since it is the most crapped on Origin story from the original game.

Dice

I've been too busy with sidequests to get to the actual story, finally arrived at Redcliffe.

Persuade has been neglected so I ended up killing Dwyn. That's what he gets for being a little bitch. I love being a hardass.

wilflare said:
gave up on this game, stopped after the Giant Rats spluttered blood all over my Character and his NPC "dog" and friend
I just turned off the blood.

wilflare

your screenshots made me reconsider the game but I sold the game off before I saw this thread :/

maybe when Steam has a sale for it again.
I need faster combat

Top Bottom