• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
If you went back to 2006 and read my posts about all the things in Oblivion that disappointed me terribly, *all* of them are addressed 100% by mods today. The community's just pure glorious insanity.

bengraven

Cheech said:
I haven't installed a mod since Doom. They're good for the community because it lets the talent rise to the top and get hired in at developers, but I'm not going to waste time personally separating the wheat from the chaff. I'll play their polished games when actual developers release them.

So you missed out on Counter Strike, DOTA, Team Fortress, the countless HL2 mods. etc. You never played created levels in WCIII, Oblivion, Fallout, etc.

You missed out. Stop whining.

Out of interest which pre order bonus items did people go for? I got the collectors edition from GAME.co.uk so I get the memory band and the dalish promise ring.

I really want the lions paw and the feral wolf charm as well, I hope you can buy these on the PSN or xbox live individually.

Tenks

EviLore said:
If you went back to 2006 and read my posts about all the things in Oblivion that disappointed me terribly, *all* of them are addressed 100% by mods today. The community's just pure glorious insanity.

Basically anyone who puts down mods as "inferior" to professional design you can completely trump by simply showing them mods based off the Half-Life engine and Oblivion. They really would have no argument.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
kyo_daikun said:
Out of interest which pre order bonus items did people go for?

I went the screw off your not going to make me look at a chart to decide on a pre-order for your game EA I'll just pick it up on release day from a mom n pop because you've pissed me off with your pre-order madness, route.

Ploid 3.0

Mindlog said:
I just pre-ordered and nabbed a month of Amazon Prime.

Will arrive tomorrow. GJ Internet.

Which version? It seems Amazon is having a hard time figuring out when the PS3 version is released. I tried re preordering and I to got the shipping date down to Nov.17 from Dec.7...

bengraven

kyo_daikun said:
Out of interest which pre order bonus items did people go for? I got the collectors edition from GAME.co.uk so I get the memory band and the dalish promise ring.

I really want the lions paw and the feral wolf charm as well, I hope you can buy these on the PSN or xbox live individually.

Got the Amazon stuff, the ring from the Flash game, and some sort of thing (another ring?) for downloading my character to EA's page.

I should have some nice stuff to sell right when I load up. :p

RbBrdMan said:
I went the screw off your not going to make me look at a chart to decide on a pre-order for your game EA I'll just pick it up on release day from a mom n pop because you've pissed me off with your pre-order madness route.

Good call! Is a bit much giving different pre-order bonuses to over 7 different retailers/ e-tailers...

Edit: Is that item from the EA page only for the PC version? Dont recall ever reading about that item (gah ridiculous!)

bengraven said:
Got the Amazon stuff, the ring from the Flash game, and some sort of thing (another ring?) for downloading my character to EA's page.

I should have some nice stuff to sell right when I load up. :p

I think I read, could be wrong, that some of the extra stuff is unlocked at shops so you actually have to buy them. If true, that makes me sad. I was going to sell them too.

Cheech

Tenks said:
Basically anyone who puts down mods as "inferior" to professional design you can completely trump by simply showing them mods based off the Half-Life engine and Oblivion. They really would have no argument.

I finished Half Life and Oblivion years ago. I'm done with those games. Why would I want to replay them with prettier graphics or quests/missions designed by amateurs, which I have a billion other games to play?

I realize this reads as trolling, but it's not. I've been playing PC games since 1986, FFS.

And no, I didn't play Counterstrike, because I was playing Unreal Tournament and SOCOM at the time. Both of which I found to be more entertaining online shooters.

This is off-topic so I'll keep it brief, but I'll repeat that mods are valuable to help the development community recruit new talent. I just don't find them a valuable use of my gaming time, and therefore are not at all a selling point when I'm selecting which games to buy. I don't think this is an especially inflammatory point of view.

Kosma

Banned
-Mikey- said:
That's crazy. I have that exact setup, 8800 GTS instead, but there is a phenom 2 x4 plus other goodies en route. Should have it tomorrow or Wednesday. :D

:eek: I think i will wait it out for another year or so until I cant play games on High/Medium anymore.

Cheech

Ploid 3.0 said:
Which version? It seems Amazon is having a hard time figuring out when the PS3 version is released. I tried re preordering and I to got the shipping date down to Nov.17 from Dec.7...

I preordered the 360 CE back in August, and even having Prime I'm not getting it until Friday. I'm not too upset because I have a pile of games on my plate, but it hints that this game is going to exceed sales expectations. Which is great for the genre.

Druz

Cheech said:
I finished Half Life and Oblivion years ago. I'm done with those games. Why would I want to replay them with prettier graphics or quests/missions designed by amateurs, which I have a billion other games to play?

I realize this reads as trolling, but it's not. I've been playing PC games since 1986, FFS.

And no, I didn't play Counterstrike, because I was playing Unreal Tournament and SOCOM at the time. Both of which I found to be more entertaining online shooters.

This is off-topic so I'll keep it brief, but I'll repeat that mods are valuable to help the development community recruit new talent. I just don't find them a valuable use of my gaming time, and therefore are not at all a selling point when I'm selecting which games to buy. I don't think this is an especially inflammatory point of view.

Mods have no deadline and no CEO telling them what they can or can't put in since it will/won't appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Oh, and you didn't play CS because you weren't good at it. Lies become us free yourself

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
360 achievements have been out for awhile now.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/dragon-age-origins/achievements/

Nothing to spoilery that I can tell. Although I havn't read much about the backstory of the game, so there may be some story ones that meant nothing to me when I read through the list.

Thanks, didnt know this existed, some of them sound pretty cool and they all seemed main game related rather than making you go do stupid tasks for them.

JoeBoy101

Real Time Settlers Mod for Fallout 3. Or a host of the other mods out for Fallout 3 from adding some green trees, better looking weapons and bodies, different locales and hideouts, to gameplay fixes and modifications.

Ignoring mods for an open game system is pretty much throwing away free content because you feel it is beneath you because it is not 'developer-published'. I'm sorry, but that's almost textbook snob.

RPGCrazied said:
What are you all guys rolling?

Im thinking either Dalish Elf Warrior or Mage first time.

Going for the dalish elf warrior as well, will be using the dalish ring as well for more damage to dark spawn.

RPGCrazied said:

Dwarf Warrior most likely, which I'll branch off to a berserker later on.

Just got back from Gamestop and switched my PS3 pre-order to 360, surprisingly I didn't get one bit of hassle heh.

Zzoram

Ugh I'm tempted to pre-order on Steam now, but I don't like the current level of the Canadian dollar.

For people already playing, are the pre-order items overpowered?

bengraven

I'm still not sure. As I said a couple pages ago, I have one of each origin created already, three females, three males.

Might play the dwarf rogue first.

Zeliard

Lostconfused said:
Unless that human is you.

Whether or not it's you. Ideally, in these sorts of games, taking down something like an ogre or dragon should be a massive undertaking. It should require a party of several people, along with high-level equipment, spells, etc. And then it wouldn't be a case of you actually being more powerful than the creature if you defeat it, but rather being more numerous and well-equipped, and out-strategizing it.

RPGCrazied said:

Dwarven Commoner Rogue or maybe a City/Dalish Elf Mage.

I usually restart once or twice in the first 15-20 min before I find something that feels right. :)

FuttBuck said:
Dwarf Warrior most likely, which I'll branch off to a berserker later on.

Just got back from Gamestop and switched my PS3 pre-order to 360, surprisingly I didn't get one bit of hassle heh.

If the reviews confirm that the PS3 version has very noticable technical issues, I'll just tell them they had it wrong the entire time at GS. "What, no I said 360, no,no your mistaken." :lol

I would really just prefer to play it on my PS3,though,oh well.

I bought the game because it had dwarven characters, so a dwarf something.

RPGCrazied said:

Human Noble, Female Templar. I plan to really role-play, I will be the scourge of mages, Wiene has my respect because of her great spirit and humility for the power she wields, that filth Morrigan comes with us because you need to fight fire with fire, but I'm watching that demon's spawn:D

RPGCrazied said:
Female human rogue, later specializing as a duelist.

Here she is:

cousland.jpg

-Mikey-

RPGCrazied said:

I'm sure starting attributes for the races and classes don't really matter in the end but that's how I'm deciding what characters to make.

Think I'll start with a dwarf warrior and on the following playthroughs an elf mage and human rogue.

Kosma

Banned
Hearing this game is tough I'll prob not venture as to make a physically weak char, I'm thinking good old warrior will do the job.

TimeKillr

I haven't been able to dig up information regarding that exactly, so here's a question:

What is the combat system like?

Bioware combat systems are hit or miss to me (I kinda liked Mass Effect's, liked KOTOR's, hated Jade Empire's) so it's the one thing keeping me from making a purchase right now.

Anerythristic said:
If the reviews confirm that the PS3 version has very noticable technical issues, I'll just tell them they had it wrong the entire time at GS. "What, no I said 360, no,no your mistaken." :lol

I would really just prefer to play it on my PS3,though,oh well.

I bought the game because it had dwarven characters, so a dwarf something.

:lol :lol That would most likely work!

Yea, I would have too mang (It's Dyslecix btw) mainly because I pray that every time I turn on my 360 it doesn't die. It's been running strong for a while so hopefully it'll be okay.

I just don't want a gimped version, I notice framerate easily and I know it would bother me.

bengraven

wayward archer said:
Dwarven Commoner Rogue or maybe a City/Dalish Elf Mage.

I usually restart once or twice in the first 15-20 min before I find something that feels right. :)

Don't get to choose your background if you're a mage. you're just "a mage". :lol

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
In almost every rpg I've ever played, I always play a caster to start with... perhaps I should branch out.

Dwarven Commoner Rogue sounds interesting, maybe that's what I'll do for my first play-through.

Already have a Human Magi ready in the wings, though.

I'm also gonna roleplay the hell outta things. My male dwarven commoner will have tendencies to blurt out the wrong thing at the wrong time, and will be totally in love with any male Elves he comes across.

FuttBuck said:
:lol :lol That would most likely work!

Oh no doubt.

The very obvious secret to being geek lord of your local GS is the pre orders. I pre order alot because I buy alot of games. I have them so well trained, they all know that if they ask me "Do you need any help?" or "Would you like to pre order ---?"

They will get no pre order.

I literally walk in and ask them who's quotas are low at this point. :lol This particular GS is within walking distance of my house so I have been going there for years.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
TimeKillr said:
I haven't been able to dig up information regarding that exactly, so here's a question:

What is the combat system like?

Bioware combat systems are hit or miss to me (I kinda liked Mass Effect's, liked KOTOR's, hated Jade Empire's) so it's the one thing keeping me from making a purchase right now.
Out of those three, it's closest to KOTOR's, except better in every way. Expect many more viable tactics, a difficulty level that spurs you to use those tactics, and a larger quantity of everything--abilities, items, simultaneously playable characters, etc.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I cant decide who to play first. Im going to play as human noble thats for sure, but I am torn between my Male Warrior and my Female Rogue. Decisions, decisions.

Enduin:
Screenshot20091015000058711.jpg

Kathryn:
Screenshot20091102165939740.jpg

I will have to plan all my sexing in this game very carefully. My wife looks at me like I am a loser when I get these in game relationships going, its bad for my self esteem. She can't be in the room when I bed my warrior princess :lol

Top Bottom