• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hmmm, so far I'm thinking Rogue - Duelist will be my first specialization. For the first playthrough, I want to just focus on straight combat skills and I'll save the magic stuff for the 2nd run. Plus, I love me some archery. Can't wait to get this after work tonight.

teiresias

Anerythristic said:
I will have to plan all my sexing in this game very carefully. My wife looks at me like I am a loser when I get these in game relationships going, its bad for my self esteem. She can't be in the room when I bed my warrior princess :lol

I can't wait until you screw it up and end up in bed with a male elf while she's watching over your shoulder.

Tobor

Zeliard said:
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Specializations

I think I'm gonna go with Shapeshifter. Then Morrigan and I can fuck as bats.

Rogue Duelist sounds perfect for me.

Snuggler said:
Hmmm, so far I'm thinking Rogue - Duelist will be my first specialization. For the first playthrough, I want to just focus on straight combat skills and I'll save the magic stuff for the 2nd run. Can't wait to get this after work tonight.

/High Five

LCfiner

Enduin said:
Kathryn:
Screenshot20091102165939740.jpg

“ladies pinch. whores use blush"

Think I'm probably going human noble / rogue. Not sure about specialization - does anyone have a suggestion if I'm going to primarily be fighting ranged?

Zeliard

Snuggler said:
Hmmm, so far I'm thinking Rogue - Duelist will be my first specialization. For the first playthrough, I want to just focus on straight combat skills and I'll save the magic stuff for the 2nd run. Can't wait to get this after work tonight.

The cool thing about the specializations is that they don't limit you too much, while also being diverse and unique, which is a difficult thing to balance right.

For example, if you go with a mage and later find out you're not really into the offensive spells and would rather play someone who's more melee-oriented, you can go with the Arcane Warrior mage specialization. It basically concentrates on using your magic to buff up your fighting abilities.

bengraven

I have:

Male Human
Noble
Warrior

Male Dwarf
Peasant
Rogue

Male Elf
Dalish
Rogue

Female Human
Mage
Mage

Female Elf
Peasant
Rogue

Female Dwarf
Noble
Warrior

The last one will likely be the funny one, since I'll play her evil. An evil dwarf woman LOOKOUT.

LCfiner

I’m going as an offensive magic caster my first run through. Probably as an elf instead of a human. Haven’t decided on my specialization yet. probably a good idea to play the game for a while to see what stuff I like using, anyway.

Round 2, assuming I find the time, will be a dwarven warrior. no magic, all brute force.

TimeKillr

Chairman Yang said:
Out of those three, it's closest to KOTOR's, except better in every way. Expect many more viable tactics, a difficulty level that spurs you to use those tactics, and a larger quantity of everything--abilities, items, simultaneously playable characters, etc.

So it's basically real-time with pause? Kinda like BG?

Fredescu

RPGCrazied said:
What are you all guys rolling?
I was thinking mage, but I have a feeling that none of the primary stats for a mage has an effect on dialog. Strength does for warriors, and cunning does for rogues, but I can't see a stat that benefits dialog options for a mage. If I can confirm this, I'll probably start as a rogue and do a mage run later on.

Zeliard

bengraven said:
Don't get to choose your background if you're a mage. you're just "a mage". :lol

I do hope there is some differentiation in the story and dialogue and such when it comes to choosing either Human Mage or Elven Mage. I know the origin for the two is basically the same (initiation through the Mage Tower), but humans and elves are treated very differently in Dragon Age's lore, so I hope that extends to the player character.

I'll role a male, Dalish Elf, warrior for my first play through. He'll eventually transition into a Champion. I'm definitely going to role play him as a Dalish who always felt uneasy with traditions and lifestyle of his clan, but went along with it because it was all he knew. Being called upon to become a Grey Warden finally gives his life the purpose he's always looked for.

Second play through will be a female human Mage. She'll become an Arcane Warrior as she never wanted to live the life of a Mage and always craved the ability battle her enemies face-to-face.
:D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I was looking over the Rogue talents and just noticed they have "feign death". I'm so gonna get that, if this game really is tough at least I can just play dead until they go away.

Fredescu

LCfiner said:
@Fredescu. isn’t intellect an attribute for mages that would affect conversational trees?
You'd think so, but from memory it wasn't in the stat description in the character creator. Perhaps that just means there is no specific skill for it like coercion, but you still get [Intellect] dialog choices. I hope so.

Zeliard

Only thing I still have to decide at this point is what difficulty to play on. Probably Normal in my first playthrough if it offers a solid enough difficulty, as it appears to based on various comments.

Zeliard said:
Only thing I still have to decide at this point is what difficulty to play on. Probably Normal in my first playthrough if it offers a solid enough difficulty, as it appears to based on various comments.

I hear you can tone down (or up, if you wish) the difficulty any time in the game. Can't find where I heard it though.

bengraven

Zeliard said:
I do hope there is some differentiation in the story and dialogue and such when it comes to choosing either Human Mage or Elven Mage. I know the origin for the two is basically the same (initiation through the Mage Tower), but humans and elves are treated very differently in Dragon Age's lore, so I hope that extends to the player character.

There are certain NPCs that treat you differently based on your race, so no worries there. :D

somesang

Still torn between a rogue or a warrior. If I go rogue, i'll end up an assassin, but with warrior, I have no idea. He'll be human either way.
Sorbo:
inyceh.jpg

Lyonaz said:
Morrigan is being voiced by Claudia Black? And I can have lesbian sex with her?

Day One!!! :D :lol

I really want to know that, but some people are saying she can't be romanced by a female character >.<

Barrett2

Great, im' all set to exchange my unopened Tekken 6 for DA tomorrow, and now I see the $40 Black Friday ad. Its almost impossible to not feel guilty buying a game day 1 anymore. Bah.

Kosma

Banned
Im wondering how effective it would be to be a Mage Healer and just stand back and heal your party and give out orders.

ManeKast

Fredescu said:
Damn, it even says Out Now on the website. I'm going to go and see if I can find any.

I would call them first, stock arriving in one hour at my local on Gold Coast, other EB's have it already. Might save you some time. Definitely on sale today at EB though in Australia.

Kosma

Banned
Yeah I'm just wondering how well that would work, you'll need a good tank I guess, but is the AI good enough to do that? There is a 20 sec cooldown on the group heal which is pretty long. Are there also single heals? And what if you dont have your party at disposal, will you be just helpless?

Enosh

Castor Krieg said:
I really want to know that, but some people are saying she can't be romanced by a female character >.<

aa fuck -.-

preorder cancelled!

:lol

<-- elf or human mage first? With the first I can go all rebelios leader leading the elfes back to their place as leaders of the free world and with the second I can play the master race and kick the untermeschen in the ass

decissions decissions

Zeliard

Kosma said:
Yeah I'm just wondering how well that would work, you'll need a good tank I guess, but is the AI good enough to do that? There is a 20 sec cooldown on the group heal which is pretty long. Are there also single heals? And what if you dont have your party at disposal, will you be just helpless?

Well, remember that you have quite a bit of control over the AI due to the extensive gambit system, so it would probably mostly depend on how you strategize when it comes to stuff like that, as well as your tactics during the battle itself. The fact that there's a mage specialization for a pure healer class means you can probably go through the game mostly as a healer if you do it right.

JayDubya

Banned
Kosma said:

All mages can pick up heal.

Spirit Healer mages can pick up the group heal and the rez and the regen aura and the "Life 3" spell.

You won't be helpless if you also take offensive spells, which you would logically be doing. And you'll have your staff.

SlickVic

Probably too early to be asking this but are there any real plot differences within a class based on what gender your character is? Just curious if there's much incentive of replaying the same class as a different gender to see if events unfold differently in the plot. Role of gender is something I've noticed has been rather minor in other recent RPG's (Mass Effect, Fallout 3) so wondering if it's tackled any differently here.

Saige

I must do better.
My first playthrough will be as a male human warrior Berserker/Reaver, who uses 2-handed weapons.

Basically I want to play as a short-tempered barbarian, so I’m kind of bummed that the human barbarian origin got scrapped but, oh well.

Kinan

I'll go with elf mage for the first run. Probably will end up like arcane warrior or shapeshifter, but as it looks, it will strongly depend on how the game will unfold.

Probably gonna stop reading this thread, we are here in Europe will need to wait a few extra days to game, and I do not want to spoil anything beyond background lore and classes info. :p

Saige said:
My first playthrough will be as a male human warrior Berserker/Reaver, who uses 2-handed weapons.

Basically I want to play as a short-tempered barbarian, so I’m kind of bummed that the human barbarian origin got scrapped but, oh well.

Yeah, if they had had that origin I would have played a Minsc.

Top Bottom