• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

somesang

Wait a minute, so maybe I just haven't been following it right but, I can have two specializations? Like be a warrior into a champion/templar or duelist/assassin as a rogue?

somesang said:
Wait a minute, so maybe I just haven't been following it right but, I can have two specializations? Like be a warrior into a champion/templar or duelist/assassin as a rogue?

Yes, that's the idea.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Two specs, but keep in mind that some of them may be hard to unlock as options (story requirements etc.) and if you max out both of them you may be left a little thin on your main class abilities.

Zeliard

Castor Krieg said:
It's in the manual.

Are there multiple difficulty levels beyond the typical three, like in BG2?

bengraven said:
There are certain NPCs that treat you differently based on your race, so no worries there. :D

I'm expecting a lot of racism directed at me. I think my Elven Mage will have a rough time.

I haven't read much of Dragon Age's lore and backstory and such, but as I understand it, he's an elf who hangs out a bit too frequently with humans, so Dalish (i.e. "real") Elves hate him. He's an elf, so humans hate him, and I'm not positive but I can't imagine that Elves and Dwarves share a fondness for each other in Dragon Age's world. And he's probably hated by City Elves, too, for knowing magic. So unique to the Elven Mage is being hated by the majority of all three main races.

The big Stone Rock Golem will be his shoulder to cry on.

somesang

EviLore said:
Two specs, but keep in mind that some of them may be hard to unlock as options (story requirements etc.) and if you max out both of them you may be left a little thin on your main class abilities.
Oh, great. Now I have to think about it more. Damn you Bioware! Glad I can't play until tomorrow. Seriously though, that's great.

bengraven

Zeliard said:
Are there multiple difficulty levels beyond the typical three, like in BG2?

I'm expecting a lot of racism directed at me. I think my Elven Mage will have a rough time.

I haven't read much of Dragon Age's lore and backstory and such, but as I understand it, he's an elf who hangs out a bit too frequently with humans, so Dalish (i.e. "real") Elves hate him. He's an elf, so humans hate him, and I'm not positive but I can't imagine that Elves and Dwarves share a fondness for each other in Dragon Age's world. And he's probably hated by City Elves, too, for knowing magic. So unique to the Elven Mage is being hated by the majority of all three main races.

The big Stone Rock Golem will be his shoulder to cry on.

Don't worry; play your cards right and Morrigan will give you a pity fuck.

Zeliard

bengraven said:
Don't worry; play your cards right and Morrigan will give you a pity fuck.

I don't think pity enters the picture when it comes to Morrigan. Bioware seems to have designated her as the town bicycle.

bengraven

Zeliard said:
I don't think pity enters the picture when it comes to Morrigan. Bioware seems to have designated her as the town bicycle.

She's just a polyamorous Wiccan.

I'm shocked she shaves her pits. I bet her carpet looks like Dagobah.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Ugh, I am going to go in and pick this badboy up tomorrow morning - BUT - I am not allowed to play it until my girlfriend gets home from work. It's my day off tomorrow! I'll feel like it will be wasted, not playing the game.

And I guess I just need one more confirmation before I take the plunge, get this game on 360 over the PS3, for sure? I don't know what it is, but I always prefer to get multi-plat games on my PS3 :(.

Mindlog

Been said 1,000 times, but wtf another good testimonial.

Signed up for a free AP trial today.
Pre-Ordered the game well past noon.
Still getting the bonuses + store credit + my order has shipped.

Amazon, more like Amazing or something.
pun failed

vvv crazy timing :lol

Ploid 3.0

Welp, I canceled my preorder. Amazon is stuck on shipping my game on thanksgiving having it to arrive by xmas. I shouldn't depend on those preorder items anyway :( ; ;. Also I'll be buying it at full price. Screw you amazon!

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Started planning out my character. You get 1 talent/level right? Doesn't seem like enough talent points for two specializations.

Planning on making a city elf rogue:assassin with a focus on persuasion, picking locks, and relying more on the duel wield and assassin talents for combat moreso than the rogue talents except for the lethality/evasion row. Kind of ignoring stealth since I'm not sure how useful that is going to be.

I'll probably change my mind about everything once I start playing though.

FrankT

Ploid 3.0 said:
Welp canceled my preorder. Amazon is stuck on shipping my game on thanksgiving having it to arrive by xmas. I shouldn't depend on those preorder items anyway :( ; ;. Also I'll be buying it at full price. Screw you amazon!

I don't understand what is going on there. As they are showing the same thing for the regular version as well (10-14 days).

Ploid 3.0

Mindlog said:

pun failed

Darn it, is this PS3 version? Amazon isn't letting me get mine shipped anywhere in the single digits of November.

I don't understand what is going on there. As they are showing the same thing for the regular version as well (10-14 days).

Yea I think Amazon is very confused on when they can sell the PS3 version or something. Bioware said it's released on the 3rd, but for some reason Amazon won't ship it then. I guess it's possible they just sold out, and are giving estimates on it's next shipment.. for preorders! Normal version by the way. I had this preorder in for a while, I changed shipping speed and was bumped to Dec4. Today isn't a very good day for me.

Got a call from EB a few minutes ago. "Your pre-order for Dragon Ace CE PC is ready to be picked up... tomorrow."

Ahhhh can't wait.

Rolling a Male Human Rogue. I love back-stabbers.

Mindlog said:

pun failed

vvv crazy timing :lol

You know what is even more awesome? Amazon's pre-order price guarantee is up to midnight of release day. If Amazon drops price temporarily to scoop up more sales, you will get lower price automatically.

Sanjuro

Running on my laptop with a lower mid-range graphics card. Everything runs smoothly with everything almost up. VERY impressed.

2x AA instead of 4x.
High instead of Very High for graphics detail.
Turned off frame-buffer effects.

On 1920x1080, Radeon Mobility 4570. 2.4 C2D / 4GB RAM. Windows 7.

Mindlog

Ploid 3.0 said:
Darn it, is this PS3 version? Amazon isn't letting me get mine shipped anywhere in the single digits of November.

Yea I think Amazon is very confused on when they can sell the PS3 version or something. Bioware said it's released on the 3rd, but for some reason Amazon won't ship it then. I guess it's possible they just sold out, and are giving estimates on it's next shipment.. for preorders! Normal version by the way. I had this preorder in for a while, I changed shipping speed and was bumped to Dec4. Today isn't a very good day for me.

Yeah I'm rolling 360 normal edition on this one. When I expect to pick up DLC I go with discount space bucks.

I wonder if they have any pre-order ship guarantee? Get a little more credit out of them?

Now I feel like I'm cutting in line!
I hope they get it out to you ASAP.

bengraven

Anyone else willing to pay at least 5-10 dollars for more origins?

I would easily pay $10 (sorry guys) to play a human peasant (would be great to see him harassed by the even lesser reknowned elves).

...which if I read the game world enough, I suppose is the only proper origin that didn't make it. All other origins make sense in the world they created (elves can't be nobles, dwarves can't be mages, etc).

Expansion time!

Zeliard

bengraven said:

I would easily pay $10 (sorry guys) to play a human peasant (would be great to see him harassed by the even lesser reknowned elves).

...which if I read the game world enough, I suppose is the only proper origin that didn't make it. All other origins make sense in the world they created (elves can't be nobles, dwarves can't be mages, etc).

Expansion time!

But what about a human dwarf?

Zzoram

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Running on my laptop with a lower mid-range graphics card. Everything runs smoothly with everything almost up. VERY impressed.

2x AA instead of 4x.
High instead of Very High for graphics detail.
Turned off frame-buffer effects.

On 1920x1080, Radeon Mobility 4570. 2.4 C2D / 4GB RAM. Windows 7.

Wow, it seems like the game doesn't require that much power to play well then. HD4570 is definitely lower-mid range.

Sobriquet

"Pre-ordered" from Amazon today and it just shipped! This was a sleeper for me. It was totally off my radar, and now I can't wait to play it.

Vamphuntr

Just received the mail for my Feral Wolf Charm and Memory band codes from gamestop. What is weird is that my order still has not shipped even though they charged my card on the 28th BOO.

jcm

Ploid 3.0 said:

I think they may just be low on product. I ordered mine a while ago.

2renrdi.png

DSN2K

anyone got any sort of idea how this game would run on a 4350 ? not expecting miracles but the game doesnt look that taxing, Ive been surprised at how well its run some games, I played all of Far Cry2 on medium(some low settings) surprisingly well. :lol

LCfiner

bengraven said:

Expansion time!

a little too early for me to be thinking about new origins or DLC. Just looking at the possibilities on the disc is pretty impressive.

Right now, I’m not interested in any more origin characters. I won’t have time to finish the ones provided on the disc!

Zzoram

DSN2K said:
anyone got any sort of idea how this game would run on a 4350 ? not expecting miracles but the game doesnt look that taxing, Ive been surprised at how well its run some games, I played all of Far Cry2 on medium(some low settings) surprisingly well. :lol

I'm sure DA:O will run on your 4350 on medium-low as well. Some guy said his 4570 runs it on High at 1920x1200 (but not Very High), which sounds almost too good to be true.

bengraven

LCfiner said:
a little too early for me to be thinking about new origins or DLC. Just looking at the possibilities on the disc is pretty impressive.

Right now, I’m not interested in any more origin characters. I won’t have time to finish the ones provided on the disc!

Well they did say that they created a human peasant. He was located in Redcliffe, but they felt the story was lacking in intrigue.

If I had to guess, it was likely a very traditional "my village burned down, blah blah blah" and they realized that was played out like Morrigan's crotch.

Top Bottom