• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
painey said:
is there any reason theres no isometric camera view on the console versions? surely it would be beneficial due to the much worse graphics?

Besides probably being much harder to play that way, that view makes the game look much better as you can tell by the many screenshots in this thread. The jist is, it didn't work very well so they took it out. Now, whether that means it was a pain in the shit to control with a gamepad or that it brought the consoles to their knees, I don't know.

hulot

Quadratic said:
I don't know if this was answered in this thread.

I'm thinking of trading in my CE xbox360 version in for the PC one. If I used my codes, are they tied to EA or MS? So if I bought the PC regular editon would Shale, armour and other unocks be available to me?
To add to this, if I want to double dip on PC in addition to my 360 CE, would I be able to get Warden's Keep DLC on my 360 by buying the digital deluxe edition off Steam?

Ricker

painey said:
is there any reason theres no isometric camera view on the console versions? surely it would be beneficial due to the much worse graphics?

They said it's because of the limited RAM of the consoles I believe and those without a HDD on the 360,etc,etc...

Doytch

theMrCravens said:
So, before all the godly mods comes out, is the current vanilla game better than Baldur's Gate 2 (with bug fixes) ?
I say no because of the confusing and vague descriptions of how the combat system works. You have to try something out before knowing if it's useful, and if it's not, you've wasted attribute/skill/talent points that you can't get back.

see5harp

U K Narayan said:
Holy fucking shit. The website to confirm your DLC codes is a nightmare. I previously registered with my EA account, and now it won't let me log in with my display name. Now, every time I try to log in - it prompts me to make a new account. What the fuck?! Is anyone having the same issue as I am?

My friend on live decided to preorder on PC and he is having this issue. Hasn't even been able to play the game at all (so I guess it's worse) because of some issue with previously registering with EA.

Westonian

Quest Question: Last Will & Testament

Where the hell is the sealed lock box in the Kocari Wilds? I've looked every where in the western part of the map!

EDIT: Never mind. Found it.

After a couple hours of playing I re-rolled my Mage.

This could be Bioware's best fantasy RPG yet.

The one thing I really miss: The isometric camera. The PS3 version is proficient, but man, I am envious of the PC version.

I can see going through this 3 times with the 3 different archetypes, and I hope they support this game with add-on modules like they did with NWN. Would be great to see the kind of multiplayer they had on NWN too.

The RPG lover in me is pleased. We finally have some good RPGs this gen., between Dragon Age and Demon's Souls.

see5harp said:
My friend on live decided to preorder on PC and he is having this issue. Hasn't even been able to play the game at all (so I guess it's worse) because of some issue with previously registering with EA.
*Sigh*

They need to put the DLC on the Steam Marketplace. This is fucking retarded. I don't even want to play the game until I can download that shit.

REV 09

*Minor early spoilers*

360 version here. Loved ME, liked Kotor, never played BG2.

I'm a little past Lothering and so far, I have mixed feelings about the game. I want to love it, but the quality has been really volatile for me. I think the game jumps from a 9.5 to a 7.5 without much in between. For starters, the big events such as the origin, were awesome; however, side quests have been very bare bones and inconsequential so far. In addition, the game looks fantastic at times...usually night time in a dungeon or castle with fires lit around you, but anything during the day looks like utter garbage...it's honestly embarrassing how bad the kokoni (sp?) wilds and the area off of Lothering looked. The party banter and characters have been consistently good though, and i like this game's system of influence with your party members.

I'm only 7 hours in, and i do like the game overall...still haven't fully grasped the combat yet, but it hasn't been crazy difficult like others have mentioned. I'm basically at a point where i'm free to do what i want now, which is nice, but i'm just wondering if the quality keeps varying like it has thus far, or are there more events along the lines of the origins and the event just before Lothering?

Zzoram

U K Narayan said:
Holy fucking shit. The website to confirm your DLC codes is a nightmare. I previously registered with my EA account, and now it won't let me log in with my display name. Now, every time I try to log in - it prompts me to make a new account. What the fuck?! Is anyone having the same issue as I am?

My EA Account from Spore worked.

Zeliard

REV 09 said:
but it hasn't been crazy difficult like others have mentioned.

REV 09 said:
360 version here.

Enemy encounters in the PC version are made much more difficult due to the control scheme and the far greater emphasis on tactical combat that it allows.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Westonian said:
Quest Question: Last Will & Testament

Where the hell is the sealed lock box in the Kocari Wilds? I've looked every where in the western part of the map!

EDIT: Never mind. Found it.

Could you tell me where you found this?

Zzoram

REV 09 said:
*Minor early spoilers*

360 version here. Loved ME, liked Kotor, never played BG2.

I'm a little past Lothering and so far, I have mixed feelings about the game. I want to love it, but the quality has been really volatile for me. I think the game jumps from a 9.5 to a 7.5 without much in between. For starters, the big events such as the origin, were awesome; however, side quests have been very bare bones and inconsequential so far. In addition, the game looks fantastic at times...usually night time in a dungeon or castle with fires lit around you, but anything during the day looks like utter garbage...it's honestly embarrassing how bad the kokoni (sp?) wilds and the area off of Lothering looked. The party banter and characters have been consistently good though, and i like this game's system of influence with your party members.

I'm only 7 hours in, and i do like the game overall...still haven't fully grasped the combat yet, but it hasn't been crazy difficult like others have mentioned. I'm basically at a point where i'm free to do what i want now, which is nice, but i'm just wondering if the quality keeps varying like it has thus far, or are there more events along the lines of the origins and the event just before Lothering?

Bioware always has some weak side quests to pad out their games. Generally speaking, they have strong main quest design and narrative, and really great character interaction stuff.

I'm playing on PC but the game is gorgeous. Most of the time the background looks like a beautiful painting and there is some great lighting work on the armor and weapons when having conversations with people.

As for combat, positioning seems to matter quite a lot. I can repeat a fight where I just rushed in and got slaughtered and win without even using a potion just from using my skills better and positioning my Rogue for some backstabs.

Google

U K Narayan said:
*Sigh*

They need to put the DLC on the Steam Marketplace. This is fucking retarded. I don't even want to play the game until I can download that shit.

Don't be retarded.

Why would not being able to access bonus shit, that really contributes nothing to the overall experience put you off playing the game proper?

Sure, it might be a little annoying, but it's nothing that should effect your ultimate enjoyment of the title.

Just loaded up the game...

c2d e4500 oc'd 2.75
ati x1950 pro 512
1440x900
AAx2
High settings
High Textures
VSync off

Im pleasantly surprised at how well this runs on my system. So far its around 45-60 fps. This is only the starting area(human rogue), so it may drop when I step outdoors.

Anyone know if it's possible to lock the frames?

Ok I gotta keep asking this till I get a straight answer. My side quests... when marking them as my active quest, it will not point me in the direction to the side quest on my map. It still points me to the main missions. Anyone else have this problem or is this just normal.

Zeliard

U K Narayan said:
*Sigh*

You should just play. If you're worried about the quest DLC, you can't trigger it until several hours into the game anyway. The loot DLC really isn't all that amazing, at least not the Steam stuff. The ME2 armor is cool, but the strength requirement for it is very high for the start of the game, so it doesn't matter at that stage.

Himuro said:
How the fuck did you guys do the finishing move on the Ogre? Is it because I did that battle in isometric mode?

Yeah, I didn't get a finishing move either, I don't think. He seemed to die like any other guy.

Zzoram

Google said:
Don't be retarded.

Why would not being able to access bonus shit, that really contributes nothing to the overall experience put you off playing the game proper?

Sure, it might be a little annoying, but it's nothing that should effect your ultimate enjoyment of the title.

The only reason I could see for delaying until he has the DLC is the ring that adds 1% to experience earned. Over the course of the whole game, it would slightly speed up your leveling. However, The Stone Golem can be accessed during most of the game after the origin so you can load that afterwards with no problem.

Zzoram

I'm actually finding myself playing in-between 3rd person and isometric on PC so I can better see the character models. I guess the graphics whore is strong in me.

Big-E

Finally got to start this today. Does anybody know where you put in the cd keys for the Steam version of the game? Is that for the preorder items?

markot

Banned
PC is freaking hard. Just have to save often and not rush in. Getting surrounded is an easy way to die... and it happens alot if you dont manage the battle well.

Im not sure... I want my 2h warrior to become champion or reaver, but I cant find either a book or a dude to train me >_<!

Also not sure if this is on all versions but (playing on 360) when you get to the quest for the three blood vials and the document from Duncan. If you grab the three blood vials and head back before getting the document. Talk to Duncan, after talking to him, talking to him again. He says the same thing BUT you gain experience over and over again each time you talk to him. Can't see that being fun using that glitch to level yourself up early (though some might) but I'm guessing that will be patched in the future.

Zzoram

Big-E said:
Finally got to start this today. Does anybody know where you put in the cd keys for the Steam version of the game? Is that for the preorder items?

You have to log in with an EA Account in-game, then go to the Bioware community site and log in with the EA Account again, then enter the codes to register your game, then the codes for the DLC. Now, go back to your game, still logged in, and hit refresh balance or something, and it'll start downloading the DLC.

markot

Banned
Big-E said:
bioware social site, need to create or log in with your account then you add em.

Zzoram

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Also not sure if this is on all versions but (playing on 360) when you get to the quest for the three blood vials and the document from Duncan. If you grab the three blood vials and head back before getting the document. Talk to Duncan, after talking to him, talking to him again. He says the same thing BUT you gain experience over and over again each time you talk to him. Can't see that being fun using that glitch to level yourself up early (though some might) but I'm guessing that will be patched in the future.

They will patch it sooner if you let them know about it. If they have a bug report forum post it there. I'm not going to break my game by doing that.

Zzoram said:
They will patch it sooner if you let them know about it. If they have a bug report forum post it there. I'm not going to break my game by doing that.

Yeah I tested it out just to be sure and went up one level, after that I just carried along normally.

Google

Zzoram said:
The only reason I could see for delaying until he has the DLC is the ring that adds 1% to experience earned. Over the course of the whole game, it would slightly speed up your leveling. However, The Stone Golem can be accessed during most of the game after the origin so you can load that afterwards with no problem.

It's not like the game is unplayable without that 1% gain.

iam220

Stayed up until 3 am yesterday playing this game and fucking loving it. The combat system is extremely rewarding and fun (playing it on hard(pc) w/ tactics disabled). The only thing thats bumming me out is the level scaling. After taking down an army of hell spawn, I get my ass handed to me by a bunch bandits. Doesn't seem right to me :/

Himuro said:
How the fuck did you guys do the finishing move on the Ogre? Is it because I did that battle in isometric mode?

No, mine worked in iso (I then zoomed in to look at the awesomeness). It was allistar that finished him off.

Zeliard

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Yeah I tested it out just to be sure and went up one level, after that I just carried along normally.

Why must you use and abuse a man as dignified as Duncan in such ways?

JoeBoy101

Himuro said:

I think it depends if your main character gets the final hit in. I was in isometric and I was all like, 'Hey, he's going down', then I see my character jump at him and I was all like 'WTF, Holy Shite!' and then he did the stab into the chest and then head and I finish like, 'Best game EVAR!'.

So in short, I think your main guy has to get the killing blow. And, as the animation would only work with a bladed weapon, it may require that as well. Pretty awesome watching him do the chest/head stab with a 2-Handed sword. Had to hurt.

LiK

Himuro said:

first boss? i thought it was automatic. was pretty fucking sweet

markot

Banned
Allistair did the finishing move on my ogre too.

Maybe you had to have one of the main characters do it/alive and not those two peons that help ya.

Zzoram

LiK said:
first boss? i thought it was automatic. was pretty fucking sweet

I've seen killing animations for many normal enemies so far, all involving a sword. This is pretty sweet because I really liked those from The Witcher.

LiK

markot said:
Allistair did the finishing move on my ogre too.

Maybe you had to have one of the main characters do it/alive and not those two peons that help ya.

my main character did the move. i guess it really depends on who does the final attack

Zeliard

Oh, now I remember what happened in my ogre fight. My player character, a mage, was the last man standing and I finished off the ogre with a long-range spell.

Hence no awesome kill animation. :(

Zzoram said:
I've seen killing animations for many normal enemies so far, all involving a sword. This is pretty sweet because I really liked those from The Witcher.

My favorite one so far involved Alistair decapitating an orc, and it was memorable because I had coincidentally paused the game just at that instant. Looked visually amazing when I zoomed in.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
slasher_thrasher21 said:
So really now... is it a glitch or does the game simple not point you to the the side quests even when you mark them as the the active quests? Which would make the idea of even activating them as a active quest pretty silly. Like whats the point.
I remember in the options somewhere was a toggle for showing map/quest helper things. The default was, "only for explored areas." Perhaps you need to find that option and set it to "always"

iam220

Zeliard said:
Oh, now I remember what happened in my ogre fight. My player character, a mage, was the last man standing and I finished off the ogre with a long-range spell.

Hence no awesome kill animation. :(

I think that's it. It has to be a fighter or maybe any character thats equipped with a sword to do the final blow.

slayn said:
I remember in the options somewhere was a toggle for showing map/quest helper things. The default was, "only for explored areas." Perhaps you need to find that option and set it to "always"

I have not tried that out yet, but I had explored the kokari wilds and still the side quest stuff in there was not being targeted. It was always pointing me towards the main quest in the area.

I will try this when I get home from work though. Thanks.

JoeBoy101

Confirming with others that PC Normal is ass-hard for me, though it maybe my own fail. But I took different loadouts of character against the third party of bandits in Lothering and they kicked my ass each time. Regardless of who I took. The game was actually getting a little easier up until that point.

Also, one of the meanest lines last night came from when I was questioning Sten (very fascinated by his background) about the Quanri (sp?) race and asked him to describe it. He shot back about whether races are so easily defined by arbitrary criteria, adding, and I quote (from memory):

"Would you think all elves are summed up as lithe, pointy-eared, and excelling at poverty?"

I let the matter drop after that.

Don't understand the Leilana hate, BTW. Her concept art and such is better looking, but I don't think she looks that bad in game. And I thought her accent was more irish/scottish than French. But that may be me, as I suck at accents.

stuminus3

Impressions after another evening's play, about 6 hours or so:

Yeah, it's really starting to feel like the real deal. It's a real neckbeard of a game for sure, just like the good old Infinity engine days, but with a modern flair. I would agree that in many ways it plays like a fantasy KOTOR (on 360, at least) but with the depth of the Baldur's Gate games. I still need a couple more sessions of play before I know for sure that it's what I think it is and not just smoke and mirrors but it hasn't let me down yet.

I've been spending a lot more time getting the hang of my buffs and playing with the tactical options - there's a whole lot of depth to the tactics menu, I'm not sure how much it will ultimately make a difference but I'm having fun playing with it.

I was disappointed for a while that the characters in my party were boring and generic. Then
they died
. :lol

Story is epic so far, lots of twists and turns already, and I'm already deep in the politics and lore of the world, lots to chew on there.

It's one heck of a time sink, too - I seem to be unable to just drop in on it for an hour like I usually can. I was planning on trying the L4D2 demo last night. Dragon Age said no. Bah!

I'm tempted to bail out from reading any more to avoid spoilers, this thread has been good so far but I'm enjoying the surprises too much...

markot

Banned
I thought Leilana was gonna be a healer cause she was from those priest dudes, but she turned out to be a rogue so I am mad at her and never use her >.< except to unlock stuff here and there.

Zzoram

I noticed they used animations straight out of Mass Effect in the conversation (I saw the stiff end of conversation stand, then lean and walk away animation a few times, definitely remembered it from Mass Effect talking to guys like your #1 fan). The camera angle seems to jump around now though, giving it a better feel (unlike the horrendously stiff Fallout 3 conversation camera angle) apparently what Mass Effect 2 will do as well.

epmode

All this talk about the precise statistics for spells and skills makes me very happy that I have the PC version. Is there any chance that we WON'T see that sort of thing in a mod?

Zeliard

Leilana can be annoying at times but I don't use her mostly because she just doesn't fit in with my party, which basically leans more towards Chaotic Good (the ends justify the means).

I like Alistair a lot, especially his back-and-forths with Morrigan, but I may get rid of him soon too because I am constantly pissing him off with my decisions. I think he's gonna leave himself eventually. :lol

I haven't gotten a good handle on how Sten thinks about things yet, but I think he's gonna have to go in favor of Shale, anyway. And whatever Shale thinks doesn't matter - that guy will be a fixture in my party.

JoeBoy101

markot said:
I thought Leilana was gonna be a healer cause she was from those priest dudes, but she turned out to be a rogue so I am mad at her and never use her >.< except to unlock stuff here and there.

She's got good archery skills too. I've set her up as long range support for me to go along with the lockpicking.

I was going to go with Morrigan more but after Warden's Keep
where she didn't have a problem with Avernus' experiments on innocent people and worse
I realized she's not so much chaotic good as chaotic neutral. For my Dwarf commoner dual wielder, that will be just fine, but for my Human Noble 2-Hander, that's a little too barbaric.

Trying to get a feel for Sten. Seems like he would be a good replacement for Alistar, but already being a 2Hander myself, I'd rather have a weapon/shield guy until I find Shale. But Sten's backstory is just very interesting to me for some reason.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
JoeBoy101 said:
Confirming with others that PC Normal is ass-hard for me, though it maybe my own fail. But I took different loadouts of character against the third party of bandits in Lothering and they kicked my ass each time. Regardless of who I took. The game was actually getting a little easier up until that point.
The party of bandits that had their leader was actually the only thing that has killed me on Hard. I beat them on my 2nd try through liberal use of stunning skills and 1 or 2 thrown acid potions (those things do a ton of damage at this point)

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
I noticed they used animations straight out of Mass Effect in the conversation (I saw the stiff end of conversation stand, then lean and walk away animation a few times, definitely remembered it from Mass Effect talking to guys like your #1 fan). The camera angle seems to jump around now though, giving it a better feel (unlike the horrendously stiff Fallout 3 conversation camera angle) apparently what Mass Effect 2 will do as well.

The facial animation seems noticeable better as well. The characters in Dragon Age (most of them anyway) don't give off that eerie mannequin feel like in Mass Effect and Bethesda games - a part of that is the high quality of the voice acting and how varied it is, but the characters also convey facial emotion a lot more effectively than in those other games.

Top Bottom