• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

JoeBoy101

Lostconfused said:
But no one was breaking any laws or creating a disturbance. If two people are having an argument in the street, you don't just go up to one of them and tell him to show off because they are disturbing the kings peace.

Has nothing to do with disturbing the peace. The crowd was demanding the merchant give up his items to them. It had a good motive, but they went about it in a chaotic manner. The merchant had a lawful explanation on how he did it, but a neutral/evil reason for doing it.

Lawful/Chaotic is the manner in which you achieve something. Good/Neutral/Evil is your motives. So helping the merchant out, simply because you feel the mob is wrong would be Lawful Neutral. Getting paid to do the same would make it borderline Lawful Evil, but probably still Neutral. Threatening the crowd to take off lest you start breaking heads, changes the Lawful to Chaotic, but retains the motive. At least, that's my opinion.

Zeliard

JoeBoy101 said:
Has nothing to do with disturbing the peace. The crowd was demanding the merchant give up his items to them. It had a good motive, but they went about it in a chaotic manner. The merchant had a lawful explanation on how he did it, but a neutral/evil reason for doing it.

Lawful/Chaotic is the manner in which you achieve something. Good/Neutral/Evil is your motives. So helping the merchant out, simply because you feel the mob is wrong would be Lawful Neutral. Getting paid to do the same would make it borderline Lawful Evil, but probably still Neutral. Threatening the crowd to take off lest you start breaking heads, changes the Lawful to Chaotic, but retains the motive. At least, that's my opinion.

What if your motive wasn't that you thought the mob was wrong, but that you simply wanted some sort of compensation from the merchant for driving them off?

I need help, I've Been out of the loop this week and just heard bits and pieces about the different versions. PC is not an option so what are the differences between the 360 and PS3 and is there a consensus on which platform is better. Thanks in advance for the help

JoeBoy101

Lostconfused said:
I assumed that he just went berserk and killed all of them.

As Zeliard said, it'll probably be that way, but given how this game is so far, it really feels like he really did do it. Talking with him aside from quests, he is very terse, very hostile, and very bitter (it seems). I'm pretty certain he did it, but what I find really intriguing is why. Going berserk is likely, but I got that nagging feeling there might be more to it than just that. At least, I hope there is.

Flib

VenusandBacchus said:
I need help, I've Been out of the loop this week and just heard bits and pieces about the different versions. PC is not an option so what are the differences between the 360 and PS3 and is there a consensus on which platform is better. Thanks in advance for the help

This question is answered at least once per page pretty much.

eznark

Banned
So awesome. I just
picked up Morrigan after the big battle
. What an absolutely awesome sequence. The fight at the top of the tower was pretty rad, although sadly one character was scooped up and bashed to death in the opening seconds.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
VenusandBacchus said:

From what I've heard, they look pretty much the same but the 360 version has a more stable framerate. PS3 has a mandantory install, if that matters. The controller doesn't really matter with this game. I'm playing on PS3, it gets a little choppy when things get chaotic on screen, but it's still totally playable if you don't have a PC.

JoeBoy101

Zeliard said:
What if your motive wasn't that you thought the mob was wrong, but that you simply wanted some sort of compensation from the merchant for driving them off?

Well, it becomes a bit of angels dancing on pinheads details then. It might matter whether you want compensation before or after. Accepting compensation or asking for it after the fact would be neutral in my eyes. But extorting or demanding it pushes it into evil, even though driving off the mob is lawful.

If you got lowered prices, so long as you did it without threats, I would call it neutral.

LCfiner said:
I hate all of you who are playing the game now and not stuck at work.

argh, and I won't be able to get home for another 6 hours. I'm dyin' here. :lol

If it makes you feel any better, I work close to home and just got back from a 1.5hr session - and now I've got some files to work on.

This is going to be hell RP-style. I'm going Spirit Healer because a mage in the beginning really helps! This is all fine, I can be all Wynne stuff. But then the only spec that I find attractive is Blood Mage, how the hell can I role-play both of these together? Something like master of life & death stuff? Can I play as a jerk?:lol

Well, I was finally enjoying some Dragon Age on my day off. Just past
Ostagar, in the first town you visit a meet up with Sten and the rogue (her name escapes me)
I was about 2 hours in, and had just finished
all of the Chanter's quests
when I decide to head into the inn to sell some things. Game crashes. Lose two hours because I didn't save. So I begrudgingly restart the game, and it crashes 30 min in. Might have to reinstall it =/

Willectro

Banned
Is the collector's edition disk contents (on 360) different from the SE? (I rented the SE and now want to buy the Collector's Edition) Will this kill my saves? Don't wanna have to restart.

Castor Krieg said:
This is going to be hell RP-style. I'm going Spirit Healer because a mage in the beginning really helps! This is all fine, I can be all Wynne stuff. But then the only spec that I find attractive is Blood Mage, how the hell can I role-play both of these together? Something like master of life & death stuff? Can I play as a jerk?:lol
548710964_32smg-L-2.jpg

On another note, has anyone found a way to keep the Blood Dragon armor in the
Dwarf Noble
origin story? I seem to have lost it at some point.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, work sucks, I wish they'd just fuckin fire me already. If all goes according to plan, though, I should be able to resume my game late tonight. Can't wait.
The moral predicaments are really complex, I'm entertained just by reading your posts. I would consider my character as a chaotic good. I try to help people when I can, even if it's an inconvenience, like the dying soldier. Ultimately, my goal is to do good and have a positive effect on the world but I'm not the "perfect" hero. When it comes to people like the bridge robbers, I'll kill the bastards if I have to. I'm not always interested in finding a peaceful solution. Plus, I love to sass people when given the chance.

Ravager61

Anybody have any tips for the
zombie
fight in Redcliffe. I made it through the first wave ok but I am having a hell of a time with the second wave. They just keep coming. I must have tried it 15 times and there are always still like 6 or 7 enemies still around me when I die.

LCfiner

_tetsuo_ said:
I wish more games like this came out

Alpha Protocol ; ;

it's probably for the best that AP is not up against this. trying to play more than one of these at a time is crazy. they're so time consuming.

right now, the timing is pretty good. there's DA, ME2 and AP all staggered in release dates.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
will52 said:
Is the collector's edition disk contents (on 360) different from the SE? (I rented the SE and now want to buy the Collector's Edition) Will this kill my saves? Don't wanna have to restart.

Not that I know of. Game is one disk. The wallpapers, OST, videos that come with the special edition are on a second disk. Your saves should be fine.

RPGCrazied

is shale suppose to have an echoyy voice? He didnt have it when I first met him, but in a different area he does.. sounds out of place

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
LCfiner said:
it's probably for the best that AP is not up against this. trying to play more than one of these at a time is crazy. they're so time consuming.

right now, the timing is pretty god. there's DA, ME2 and AP all staggered in release dates.

I actually agree. I think the extra time will do the game good.

Tenks

Ravager61 said:
Anybody have any tips for the
zombie
fight in Redcliffe. I made it through the first wave ok but I am having a hell of a time with the second wave. They just keep coming. I must have tried it 15 times and there are always still like 6 or 7 enemies still around me when I die.

Making sure to keep the NPC's alive helped me out a ton

Tadale

I'm 12 hours in, and I'm really hooked. I went with an elven mage, and so far I'm really happy with the character; i feel really powerful. The fireball spell is just insane, really satisfying.

Oh, has anyone else finished the DLC pack that comes with the normal addition of the game? Is it really all that short? I was seriously finished with that area in about 15 minutes-- I would be furious if I had spent $15 on that.

JoeBoy101

Himuro said:
This debate on ethics/morals is fascinating.

I was going to say the same thing. What's great is that DA really advances the morality in situations and, hopefully the consequences for it. I played through Warden's Keep this morning and it presents a couple of very dark moral choices:

1)
You come across the Warden commander, possessed by a demon who offers to close the rip in the Veil (which is allowing other demons to come through) if you kill the mage preventing her from escaping into the rest of the world. Pretty evil choice, huh? Well, the other choice is...

2)
The mage is an aged Warden who loosed the demons in the first place, on orders from that commander, to try and defeat a tyrant king's invading forces (they failed). He will help you close the veil as well, but you find out he has been using darkspawn blood along with certain... experiments, on numerous innocent people. Which one do you help?

It gets even better as I helped the mage, but at the end was presented with what to do with him. My choices were: Let him keep working (he might make a breakthrough which could help me); Kill him; Drive him off; Help him actively (yeesh); or let him stay and work, but allow no dark research (this was my choice, he might make a breakthrough but less chance of it).

Now those are some real moral quandries. Not a bunch of black and white choices (look, out game is morally complex because you can be good OR evil), but decisions that test your moral convictions and beliefs based on the situation. I actually punted on the merchant/mob situation because I sided with both. The lawful in me sided with the merchant, and the good in me sided with the mob.

LiK

luxarific said:
Not that I know of. Game is one disk. The wallpapers, OST, videos that come with the special edition are on a second disk. Your saves should be fine.

the soundtrack in this game is beautiful. the music from the main menu is my fave so far

Tadale

JoeBoy101 said:
I was going to say the same thing. What's great is that DA really advances the morality in situations and, hopefully the consequences for it. I played through Warden's Keep this morning and it presents a couple of very dark moral choices:

1)
You come across the Warden commander, possessed by a demon who offers to close the rip in the Veil (which is allowing other demons to come through) if you kill the mage preventing her from escaping into the rest of the world. Pretty evil choice, huh? Well, the other choice is...

2)
The mage is an aged Warden who loosed the demons in the first place, on orders from that commander, to try and defeat a tyrant king's invading forces (they failed). He will help you close the veil as well, but you find out he has been using darkspawn blood along with certain... experiments, on numerous innocent people. Which one do you help?

It gets even better as I helped the mage, but at the end was presented with what to do with him. My choices were: Let him keep working (he might make a breakthrough which could help me); Kill him; Drive him off; Help him actively (yeesh); or let him stay and work, but allow no dark research (this was my choice, he might make a breakthrough but less chance of it).

Now those are some real moral quandries. Not a bunch of black and white choices (look, out game is morally complex because you can be good OR evil), but decisions that test your moral convictions and beliefs based on the situation. I actually punted on the merchant/mob situation because I sided with both. The lawful in me sided with the merchant, and the good in me sided with the mob.

I agree. The morality decisions have been way more satisfying than they ever were in KoToR, Jade Empire, or Mass Effect.

JoeBoy101

Snuggler said:
Yeah, work sucks, I wish they'd just fuckin fire me already. If all goes according to plan, though, I should be able to resume my game late tonight. Can't wait.
The moral predicaments are really complex, I'm entertained just by reading your posts. I would consider my character as a chaotic good. I try to help people when I can, even if it's an inconvenience, like the dying soldier. Ultimately, my goal is to do good and have a positive effect on the world but I'm not the "perfect" hero. When it comes to people like the bridge robbers, I'll kill the bastards if I have to. I'm not always interested in finding a peaceful solution. Plus, I love to sass people when given the chance.

What's really cool with the Highwaymen though is
they are fairly non-hostile until you absolutely refuse to pay. They are actually pretty friendly for Highwaymen. If you sling out that you are a Grey Warden, they'll let you pass for free, but stick around. You can fight them and (PROTIP: If you bring down the leader first, you get a conversation right before he goes down) he will beg for mercy, promise to leave the lands, etc. So do you turn him in, knowing he'll get executed? Let him runoff, but alive? Decisions, decisions.

Zeliard

RoodyPooUS said:
I think I might go blood mage as well. None of the other specialties interest me.

Shapeshifter looks like fun, though I wish it gave you more animal options to turn into.

What I'm wondering is if becoming a Blood Mage angers some of the more sensitive members of your party like Alistair, given the implications in this game behind what makes a Blood Mage (very Dark Side of the Force-type stuff).

I'm going to tackle Warden's Keep when I get home tonight. I didn't read those spoilers JoeBoy wrote but I've heard good things about it. Is it recommended to be at a certain level before venturing there?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Getting a better grasp of how the game works, I think I'm ready to create my first true character and make my way through it. Some of the origin stories are very fun though. So hard to choose. :D

Minsc

Gold Member
Kweh said:
Is there any way to play the PC version without the disc in the drive?

I imagine the digital download versions work without the disc :p... and 99% of the time properly configured disc imaging programs can make usable images to take the place of the disc.

And damn that unmarked spoiler. I'm hoping that it's completely erased from my memory by a week or two, when I play this game.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
LiK said:
the soundtrack in this game is beautiful. the music from the main menu is my fave so far

Yeah, I have to say the CE is actually worth it this time. No annoying plastic to clutter things up, just a nice case, a map that fits in the case and a disk with the OST and other goodies on it.

Not surprised at the great soundtrack. Loved Zur's work in Fallout 3 and Prince of Persia (2008).

Still getting into the meat and potatoes of the combat. On the 360 version. If I scroll to another character when I have my active wheel up and then aim my target reticle at a enemy and then tell him what to perform, well he run to that enemy and do what I tell him? or is there another way of ordering them to attack certain enemies?

I think that buff-timers would've been a blessing for this game, right now it's pause every 5 sec to check if regeneration/buff ran out >.<

JoeBoy101

Zeliard said:
Shapeshifter looks like fun, though I wish it gave you more animal options to turn into.

What I'm wondering is if becoming a Blood Mage angers some of the more sensitive members of your party like Alistair, given the implications in this game behind what makes a Blood Mage (very Dark Side of the Force-type stuff).

I'm going to tackle Warden's Keep when I get home tonight. I didn't read those spoilers JoeBoy wrote but I've heard good things about it. Is it recommended to be at a certain level before venturing there?

Once the location is unlocked, you're in pretty good shape. To give you another idea, my level 7 could wear the awesome armor you CAN get in there.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
While I do like the moral decisions, the fact that people try to classify them by the old d&d alignment is kind of silly. There is more to the world than good/evil lawful/chaotic.

I heard both sides out, the merchant and the refugees. I think I tried to diplomatically persuade the merchant to lower his prices and failed. But I didn't want to threaten him because I felt he had a right to sell his goods at whatever price he wanted.

Since diplomacy failed, I asked the refugees to leave for my own selfish benefit. I did not force them away nor become violent, I just told them that they should leave. I did not demand a discount from the merchant but got one anyway.

While any given action might be pegged as being good or lawful, the sum total of everything does not cleanly fall into some pre-defined d&d alignment. Nor should any good moral decision be so cleanly catagorized.

Zeliard

JoeBoy101 said:
Once the location is unlocked, you're in pretty good shape. To give you another idea, my level 7 could wear the awesome armor you CAN get in there.

Great coincidence, I just recently turned level 7. :D

slayn said:
While I do like the moral decisions, the fact that people try to classify them by the old d&d alignment is kind of silly. There is more to the world than good/evil lawful/chaotic.

I heard both sides out, the merchant and the refugees. I think I tried to diplomatically persuade the merchant to lower his prices and failed. But I didn't want to threaten him because I felt he had a right to sell his goods at whatever price he wanted.

Since diplomacy failed, I asked the refugees to leave for my own selfish benefit. I did not force them away nor become violent, I just told them that they should leave. I did not demand a discount from the merchant but got one anyway.

While any given action might be pegged as being good or lawful, the sum total of everything does not cleanly fall into some pre-defined d&d alignment. Nor should any good moral decision be so cleanly catagorized.

The alignments have always overlapped to some extent, as well as been pretty subjective. They're just a basic way of classifying the morals and ethics that go into making certain decisions, rather than being some strict measurement.

Rad-

Game is fucking awesome so far. One problem though: rogue character feels quite weak compared to mage or warrior. Mainly because backstab damage is so bad.

Also to add, nicely optimized. My single core runs this well on almost max.

And some of the "evil" dialogue is so bloody hilarious. Oh man this is what I've missed from Bioware. Being a total jackass.

LiK

luxarific said:
Yeah, I have to say the CE is actually worth it this time. No annoying plastic to clutter things up, just a nice case, a map that fits in the case and a disk with the OST and other goodies on it.

Not surprised at the great soundtrack. Loved Zur's work in Fallout 3 and Prince of Persia (2008).

yea, best CE steelbook inner case design by far. discs are easily removed. i really hope all other steelbooks for games will use this design. lord knows i've seen some pretty tragic methods for storing two discs in steelbooks.

Doytch

So is Warden's Keep worth $7? I skipped out on the Deluxe version since I didn't care about the items at all, but figured I might get the extra mission if it's good.

Zeliard

Rad- said:
Game is fucking awesome so far. One problem though: rogue character feels quite weak compared to mage or warrior. Mainly because backstab damage is so bad.

I think I read somewhere that backstab eventually becomes the single biggest damage dealer in the game. It was really powerful in BG2 as well. Killed many an enemy mage with it.

ghostmind

FIrst question: I need to decide if I'm going to pick up the CE or not today. Are the downloadable items (helm, book, staff) that come with the game worth the $10?

Second: GameStop says that they never got the preorder items in (memory band and wolf charm). Whatever. Are they worth tracking down?

LiK

ghostmind said:
FIrst question: I need to decide if I'm going to pick up the CE or not today. Are the downloadable items (helm, book, staff) that come with the game worth the $10?

Second: GameStop says that they never got the preorder items in (memory band and wolf charm). Whatever. Are they worth tracking down?

i would say yes, altho my character isnt able to use the items yet. and hey, you get a nice cloth map and lovely steelcase.

Zzoram said:
You have to log in with an EA Account in-game, then go to the Bioware community site and log in with the EA Account again, then enter the codes to register your game, then the codes for the DLC. Now, go back to your game, still logged in, and hit refresh balance or something, and it'll start downloading the DLC.

jesus that sounds ass backwards....

Top Bottom