• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Zzoram said:
Whenever you take direct control of a new person, they stop doing everything until you give them new orders. That's probably what's happening.

What I'm talking about is the following:

I tell Alistair to attack an enemy. He starts doing it. I switch off to Leliana to manually use Dirty Fighting to see if I can't turn the tide of the fight that she's in. She uses it then resumes attacking normally.

I switch to my main character to see how he's doing and after using a couple abilities to finish off an enemy I look up to see that Alistair has stopped attacking his target and is just sitting there letting himself be hit (despite being set to the Defensive behavior which should have him responding to all melee attacks) by the target he was supposed to be attacking and an archer a little further away. He's just standing there being pummeled. He's not stunned, he's just idle, because if I click on him and tell him to attack he starts doing it again.

After that's done I look over at Leliana and what do you know, standing around idle while she gets hit.

I had to uninstall the game because I couldn't take it anymore.

Fredescu

Choke on the Magic said:
Are you playing on PC or console? I'm trying to find someone who has it running good on PC and what I need to do to get it that way. It's a fun game to play I just don't want to turn the effects off.
I have a Q9550 @ 3.6ghz and a 4890 and it's running very smoothly with everything maxxed at 1920x1200 in windowed mode. I haven't had that memory leak that people talk about either. I played for five hours straight with no problems.

Zeliard said:
Its only real downside is too much of a lack of transparency when it comes to the combat system's underlying stats and numbers.
That's true. As far as I can tell you can't even tell how much mana a spell uses.

Zeliard

BrodiemanTTR said:

I tell Alistair to attack an enemy. He starts doing it. I switch off to Leliana to manually use Dirty Fighting to see if I can't turn the tide of the fight that she's in. She uses it then resumes attacking normally.

I switch to my main character to see how he's doing and after using a couple abilities to finish off an enemy I look up to see that Alistair has stopped attacking his target and is just sitting there letting himself be hit (despite being set to the Defensive behavior which should have him responding to all melee attacks) by the target he was supposed to be attacking and an archer a little further away. He's just standing there being pummeled. He's not stunned, he's just idle, because if I click on him and tell him to attack he starts doing it again.

After that's done I look over at Leliana and what do you know, standing around idle while she gets hit.

Can't say I've had this issue, but I micromanage and pause heavily and rarely ever use the Tactics menu (other than to set the base stuff like "ranged" for mages and archers, etc).

But even when I'm letting one character do his thing, they don't just stop and they actually make fairly smart decisions using their default Tactics. Having said that, I generally try not to leave those decisions in their hands. :p

Zeliard said:
Can't say I've had this issue, but I micromanage and pause heavily and rarely ever use the Tactics menu (other than to set the base stuff like "ranged" for mages and archers, etc).

But even when I'm letting one character do his thing, they don't just stop and they actually make fairly smart decisions using their default Tactics. Having said that, I generally try not to leave those decisions in their hands. :p
I've tried micro-ing, I pause a ton, I've tried everything. I've never had a problem like this in any party-based RPG. I guess I'm just not going to be able to play this game, which sucks, because I was very much looking forward to it and actually enjoyed most moments when combat wasn't making me want to rip my hair out.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
BrodiemanTTR said:

Sounds like what happens after you turn off Tactics. ive seen this happen a few times.

Number 2 said:
Sounds like what happens after you turn off Tactics. ive seen this happen a few times.

In the Tactics menu, the Disable Tactics toggle was unchecked, and I would still see party members carry out the tactics I'd outlined for them whenever they weren't standing around with their thumbs up their bums.

NewLib said:
Make sure to check what your tactics are set on. If they are on a passive type of tactic then the characters will not fight back. I generally kept my fighters with aggressive and my mage/rogue with ranged.

All characters were set to Defensive (attack back when attacked but do not pursue enemies) with the exception of Morrigan who was set to Ranged.

NewLib

Banned
Make sure to check what your tactics are set on. If they are on a passive type of tactic then the characters will not fight back. I generally kept my fighters with aggressive and my mage/rogue with ranged.

Alex

Tactics are OK for certain things, very not OK for others. Ultimately the best option is to micromanage most abilities and key decisions.

jabipun

Okay, so I've been playing around with the dificulty.

Hard seems to be too hard and normal seems to be too easy. (on console) Again, not that far in, just got Morrigan and explored Longhairn (sp?). About 4 hours in.

So ultimately - if the game gets harder from this point, I'll stick with normal. And if the game gets easier, I'll stick with hard. Because right now, normal seems a bit simple, and hard just seems a bit too annoying (in regards to the restraints the console versions has - i.e, camera, dial menu etc.)

Shawsie64

Banned
Hmm I really dont understand the graphics complaints. Im playing PC version, 1900 x 1200 everything ultra and it looks stunning.. My rig isnt even that great too (E6850, 4gb ram, 4870 512mb)..

Anyone know a good frame-rate to settle at outside of combat?

I just started as a dwarf commoner and can hover around 25-30 fps(but can do better with AA off.)

Shawsie64 said:
Hmm I really dont understand the graphics complaints. Im playing PC version, 1900 x 1200 everything ultra and it looks stunning.. My rig isnt even that great too (E6850, 4gb ram, 4870 512mb)..

All i know is that it scales well on my laptop, and for that it has my eternal worship.

Jayge

So if I let
Bodahn know that I'm a Warden and he declines to travel with me, am I fucked for my camp?

^^ Just after Lothering spoilers.

luxarific said:
It's up for me. Took about 12-14 hours after I started playing to show up though. I created an account at the social site to upload a character I'd made with the stand-alone character creator, so my account existed before launch (which might have helped with regard to how quickly my Xbox character showed up, since I think the servers are still working through the backlog of new accounts created since Tuesday). You can enter your Xbox Live tag during the process, so I haven't had the same problems connecting my social account with what I'm doing on the console as people playing the PC version.

I had a pre-existing EA account I made last year when Mirror's Edge came out and I used the same login/pw on the Social site when creating an account there. I experienced no issues between linking the EA account and Social site account - the process was transparent to me - so I'm guessing EA matched up my Live gamertag I entered on the Ea.com account last year with the same gamertag I entered when creating the Social site account.

thanks for that. i also logged in successfully with my ea account from battlefield bad company which was successful in linking my gamertag. so does that mean its all good for me too? though little confused on the linking part. when i logged in using my ea account for the bioware site, it asked me for a display name. is that same as my gamertag or just display name for the site?

NewLib

Banned
I would switch off defensive because if the enemy attacks someone else and not that character, that character will stop attacking.

Kosma

Banned
Ok so this is my party setup atm:

Me, sword and shield warrior
Allis, sword and shield templar
Morrigan, no clue just got her, she's a druid or something (her spells seem to be stuns etc)?
Dog, dog dog dog dog

So as you can see I have two tanks, and now with Morrigan and all her stun spells I have much control over the battle (not to mention all the shield bashes etc.). Dps seems lacking though. Should I start teaching allistair 2handed skills? According to Himuro this should be good.

Shawsie64

Banned
lorddarkflare said:
Anyone know a good frame-rate to settle at outside of combat?

I just started as a dwarf commoner and can hover around 25-30 fps(but can do better with AA off.)

All i know is that it scales well on my laptop, and for that it has my eternal worship.

Just go with whatever feels good, no big deal really

Zzoram

NewLib said:
I would switch off defensive because if the enemy attacks someone else and not that character, that character will stop attacking.

Maybe that is the problem the other guy was having.

im also trying to register my 360 game on the site. where is the UPC code? is this the barcode number behind the box? if so its not taking it.

Nose Master

How do I unlock the evil Warrior class? (I forget the name, revenant?) I got Templar by having a solid enough relationship with Alistar, but Templars are awful :(

Ceebs

jabipun said:
Okay, so I've been playing around with the dificulty.

Hard seems to be too hard and normal seems to be too easy. (on console) Again, not that far in, just got Morrigan and explored Longhairn (sp?). About 4 hours in.

So ultimately - if the game gets harder from this point, I'll stick with normal. And if the game gets easier, I'll stick with hard. Because right now, normal seems a bit simple, and hard just seems a bit too annoying (in regards to the restraints the console versions has - i.e, camera, dial menu etc.)
Normal in no way stays as easy as it was through the tower section. Here is an idea of a normal battle a bit later:

23hkif7.png

slayn

needs to show more effort.
err... what are you supposed to do at redcliffe? I've reached a point where
infinite zombies spawn 1 at a time. So now I just sit and kill a zombie every 20 seconds or so. I already killed everything down by the lake. All the NPC's down at the lake died as well.
Is there some cutscene trigger that didn't fire or something? The journal is no help either. Its obvious I'm supposed to do something but I don't what or where.

Shawsie64 said:
Just go with whatever feels good, no big deal really

I actually ask because i want to know how much of a dip i can expect, so i can plan accordingly.

Also, am i the only that does not like the frame-buffer effects?

Fredescu

Animator said:
Gaf should I get this game on the pc or on the ps3?
PC. The interface is better, you can't zoom in and out on consoles, and the encounters have been made simpler on consoles to compensate for these things. The combat can be strategic and really benefits from mouse and keyboard controls. You don't need a super high end machine to run it well either. The console versions sound like a reasonable facsimile, but given that the changes extend to gameplay and not just graphical fidelity like the console vs PC question often comes down to, given the choice it's PC every time with this game.

EzLink

Banned
well shit, after playing a few more hours I'm really warming up to the combat. I just got past the
joining ceremony
, holy shit, that was awesome. This game is reminding me of A Song of Ice and Fire in a lot of ways (Grey Wardens=Night Watch) and considering ASoIaF is my favorite book series, this is definatley a good thing :D

Tobor

BrodiemanTTR said:

I'm playing the console version, but this has never happened to me.

Mrbob

I honestly don't know how I would play this game without the ISO view.

Having said that, I'm probably going to double dip on one of the consoles down the road to try it out. They sound different enough to make it interesting to check out, and I can see myself replaying this game multiple times. I might make a couple runs on 360 or PS3.

Animator

Fredescu said:
PC. The interface is better, you can't zoom in and out on consoles, and the encounters have been made simpler on consoles to compensate for these things. The combat can be strategic and really benefits from mouse and keyboard controls. You don't need a super high end machine to run it well either. The console versions sound like a reasonable facsimile, but given that the changes extend to gameplay and not just graphical fidelity like the console vs PC question often comes down to, given the choice it's PC every time with this game.

Thats all I needed to know. Thank you for the info! Gonna pick this up from direct 2 drive when I get home.

Tobor

Fredescu said:

All they did was reduce the total number of enemies and increase the difficulty of the remaining enemies. You're exaggerating the difference.

markot

Banned
Tobor said:
All they did was reduce the total number of enemies and increase the difficulty of the remaining enemies. You're exaggerating the difference.
Not really, the combat becomes more tactical on PC due to the harder difficulty and options available..

Man Shale is a beast. I subbed out Allistair for Shale, and so far he's proven to be a much more effective tank. Even against
dragon Flemeth
he doesn't die in stoneheart mode.

markot

Banned
Animator said:
Is there any difference between the two? Last pc game I played was warcraft 3 so I have been out of the loop for a while.
No. But Steam is the better service! Like the best thing ever tbh.

Well isn't that just magical. Mass Effect is $10 on steam, I mean really do I have to buy that game again? The answer is obviously yes.

Edit: Oh also steam is telling me that I played dragon age for 30 hours since the 3rd now, yay -_-

jabipun

markot said:
Not really, the combat becomes more tactical on PC due to the harder difficulty and options available..

Harder difficulty?

Didn't bioware themselves say the console version and PC versions have similar difficulty (not to mention the same settings - easy, normal, hard, nightmare. the only difference is that PC throws more enemies at you, and the console versions compensate by having what enemies that are on-screen, be at more challenging. That it evens out.

...BUT THEN, I read posts like this:

Shawsie64 said:
Yeah even on easy this game is brutal

I feel, the game is easy on normal mode on console - but like I've said, I'm still at the beginning (just got Morrigon - about 4 or so hours in). So, three scenarios:

1) The game gets harder (on any difficulty setting) as you push onward through the game past the first 5 hours or so.

2) The PC version is indeed significantly harder than the console versions.

3) I'm the awesome and you're the suck in wrpg's. (I doubt this).

Jayge

markot said:
no, he joins it still
Ah thank you. I found this out myself by saying "fuck it" and moving on anyway. Seems he appreciated my honesty, according to future conversations.

I'm slowly learning how rewarding micro-managing your characters to extreme degrees in this game can be. The difference in difficulty for encounters with tough enemies is drastic when you learn to synergize a bit.

Also, I've got Sten rocking 3 activated stances at all times. I'm looking forward to getting his stamina high enough to activate Precise Striking and have all of his stamina used up with 4 active ones. Not even necessarily for efficiency's sake (although he is a total beast with Ice Weapons on and some poison coatings) but just because I've never played a game where you could do this before in recent memory :lol

The value of a good ranger shouldn't be underestimated either. My main is a rogue and not having to use Liliana for unlocking chests along with being able to create an actually useful archer for pulling and whatnot along with good dual-wielding is great.

epmode

Tobor said:
According to people who've played both, the first major boss in the game actually hits harder in the PC version on the same difficulty level. There are no adds in that fight so it's possible that Bioware wasn't exactly forthright.

I'd love for someone to prove this one way or another.

jabipun said:
1) The game gets harder (on any difficulty setting) as you push onward through the game past the first 5 hours or so.

2) The PC version is indeed significantly harder than the console versions.

3) I'm the awesome and you're the suck in wrpg's. (I doubt this).
The game does get harder. I would say that the game scales down the difficulty until you get access to the world map. And even on easy if you are not paying attention you can get overwhelmed by a group of enemies during a regular encounter.

jabipun

epmode said:
According to people who've played both, the first major boss in the game actually hits harder in the PC version on the same difficulty level. There are no adds in that fight so it's possible that Bioware wasn't exactly forthright.

Wouldn't it be really difficult to create equal scenarios.

Could it have been a critical hit? Could the outfitting of the character used to be identical - stats, armor etc.

jabipun

Lostconfused said:
The game does get harder. I would say that the game scales down the difficulty until you get access to the world map. And even on easy if you are not paying attention you can get overwhelmed by a group of enemies during a regular encounter.

Again, I'm lost and confused (lol i are genius) - what version are you playing (sorry but I've read your last couple of posts and you don't mention if you're a PC or console). It'd help put your quotes in perspective.

jabipun said:
Again, I'm lost and confused (lol i are genius) - what version are you playing (sorry but I've read your last couple of posts and you don't mention if you're a PC or console). It'd help put your quotes in perspective.
PC i mention it in my other posts when i am not quoting you, because I like being annoying like that. Well no I don't like it, it just kind of happens.

jabipun

Lostconfused said:
PC i mention it in my other posts when i am not quoting you, because I like being annoying like that. Well no I don't like it, it just kind of happens.

Well then - it's entirely likely that the PC is just flat out harder on normal than console's normal.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
slayn said:
err... what are you supposed to do at redcliffe? I've reached a point where
infinite zombies spawn 1 at a time. So now I just sit and kill a zombie every 20 seconds or so. I already killed everything down by the lake. All the NPC's down at the lake died as well.
Is there some cutscene trigger that didn't fire or something? The journal is no help either. Its obvious I'm supposed to do something but I don't what or where.
to answer my own question,
turns out I had one zombie left that had gotten stuck behind a building near the docks.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I've played through all the parts I've seen in live streams on PC now, and the PC version seems to be clearly harder. Much harder. No less obvious than the 360 stream I saw of him taking the Ogre on nightmare. It consisted of him selecting all and attacking. On hard I couldn't let him hit me more than like 3 times on any character. His special attacks killed the guys I picked up in 1 hit a couple times.

Tobor

epmode said:

Friendly fire is off for console on normal, that would make a difference. When I'm lining up my ranged attacks, I don't need to worry about position, just making sure they stay at range.

You're right though, I took down the Ogre fairly easily. Warden's Peak required me to play with tactically. I fought one battle where my entire party was wiped except for Leelow multipass, and I managed to stay alive.

My point is, there is plenty of challenge and tactics in the console version, it's not baby mode.

Top Bottom