• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

zugzug

so I realize I not far in but I just went and browsed the screenshot folder on my PC and not to impressed witht he shots it automatically takes. oh well to bad.

Amazed and luving this game though.

heh I'm afraid to admit I'm getting rufffed up on normal mode on the pc.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Jesus. Im stuck on a random encounter with 16 bandits. There's a mean trap that I pretty much have to run through as well. No joke.

Is anyone else experiencing a problem where party members become idle in the middle of battle and allow themselves to be attacked by enemies in melee combat without responding, enemies that they had been previously instructed to attack and will not continue attacking unless constantly being manually reminded to via right-click?

RS4-

I have two champions now because of terrible planning lol.

How are rangers? Should I go duelist instead? She's dps-poison atm.

My party is pretty much all offense. AOE support mage, and the mentioned rogue and two tanks.

I'm not sure if I should go archmage since the bloodmage thing is out of the question due to quest decisions.

Zeliard

RS4- said:
I'm not sure if I should go archmage since the bloodmage thing is out of the question due to quest decisions.

Second time I've heard about this. I want to become a Blood Mage so I hope I don't fuck that up. :lol

RPGCrazied

anyone on the 360ver getting choppiness in the major cutscenes? like origin intros, and one for major story points.

the ingame ones however are much smoother

The main issue with the City Elf origin , was that it just sort of ended.

Duncan : Lol fuck yo cousin I want you to be a Grey Warden.
You: But I sort of failed in saving the girls...
Duncan : Silence..let us go.
You:....
Sorin:.WRRRRRY.

I felt shitty afterward.
I mean my cousin got raped and I took the money only to have my other cousin get sent to jail....

Can anyone tell me what the Dalish quest entails in spoilers and with as little info as possible. I Knew what the city elf quest would be like but it didn't turn out as awesome as i though ( Kill Bill..)

Knux-Future said:

I felt shitty afterward.
I mean my cousin got raped and I took the money only to have my other cousin get sent to jail....

Can anyone tell me what the Dalish quest entails in spoilers and with as little info as possible. I Knew what the city elf quest would be like but it didn't turn out as awesome as i though ( Kill Bill..)

Uh of course you should feel shitty
you took the money. If you wanted Kill Bill you should have, I dunno, killed Vaughan.

Fredescu

I've played for about 6 hours now, just about to go up the first lot of stairs in the tower battle. I went with a Mage, focusing on healing. I usually go with either a Ranger or Healer in these games, and Zeilards comments about getting willpower dialog options, the fact that coercion doesn't have very high cunning requirements (I already have level 2), and the comments about needing a healer earlier on made my mind up. I miss being up to queue up heals on multiple people though.

I love the glyphs, and discovering my first glyph
combo
was pretty awesome.

I've wiped once, on my first darkspawn encounter. From that point on, I've absolutely loved the combat. That was also the point where I F5'd after just about everything too. I don't play in full iso, I sort of play about halfway in between the extremes, which was how I played NWN2 too. The part in the wilds where
they lure you over some traps at the end of the bridge
was great.

It's very hard to put down. I'm glad I've got a lot of free time after today to play it.

bengraven

Knux-Future said:

I felt shitty afterward.

Damn. You played it kind of fucked up then didn't you?

If you kill him, then accept responsibility for your actions, they decide to just take you and not attack the alienage. However, before you are carried away, Duncan enacts Conscription, which means he owns you at that point and they can't touch you. Then you become a Grey Warden.

Okay so I can't get a steady framerate when I have the "effects" turned on. I've tried lowering res, AA, etc. and unless I turn the effects off the framerate is shit for me. I don't want to turn it off because the game looks drab and shitty then. Any suggestions? I didn't think I'd have to upgrade my CPU or GPU for this. I can run Fallout 3 maxed out and still get a steady average of 40FPS.

Help Please. Here are my specs:

Motherboard: BIOSTAR TPower N750 AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX

GPU: BFG Tech GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3

RAM: OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor

RbBrdMan said:
Ok I said I'll post some screens here we go:

23mn4fd.jpg

Uh, is it just me, or does that look like ass? WTF? (Why the face?)

BrodiemanTTR said:
Uh of course you should feel shitty
you took the money. If you wanted Kill Bill you should have, I dunno, killed Vaughan.

yeah I know....I'll probally start over and kill him.

what's the dallish elf quest like?

Zzoram

Knux-Future said:

I felt shitty afterward.

The issue is that you sold out family.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
sparky2112 said:
Uh, is it just me, or does that look like ass? WTF? (Why the face?)
I fixed the tinypic links. That still doesn't change the grass textures. I think the game looks really good in motion. It also play fantastic which is what I'm most concerned about.

bengraven

anddo0 said:
No

Do you HAVE to be a rouge to pick lock? Can the stealing skill be used for that?

No, stealing is for when some bitch talks shit to you, but you can't kill them. You just straight jack them like the fool they are.

Yes, I've been doing this with my city elf. That bitter hag with her half-retarded, sociopathic son were the first.

Visceir

I need some help with the Elf quest

I got through the forest and ended up in some ruins. Theres a door that I can't get through, it says the werewolves have barricaded it from the inside. How do I get it open?

Echoing the praise here - this game seems amazing, in true Bioware fashion. :) The dialogue is excellent, the visuals are great ( playing on the xbox360 ), and the combat is... Good enough. Then again, combat has never been Bioware's strongest point - see Mass Effect for example - but it has never bothered me. I enjoy Bioware's games for their stories, and Dragon Age: Origins has a nice Lord of the Rings -type vibe to it.

High-fantasy might never beat science-fiction in my books, but yeah... Dragon Age: Origins is still easily the best games I've played this year ( and I'm only at the beginning ). :)

bengraven

Alex said:
I havent seen much of the game on consoles, but I dont think the PC version is even remotely ugly.

Exactly. This game has some of the best art design I've ever seen, occasional muddy textures aside.

Zeliard

bengraven said:
No, stealing is for when some bitch talks shit to you, but you can't kill them. You just straight jack them like the fool they are.

Yes, I've been doing this with my city elf. That bitter hag with her half-retarded, sociopathic son were the first.

City Elf sounds awesome to play as. :lol

I enjoyed the Elf Mage origin, especially for how deeply it delved into the lore surrounding mages in the game (how they get their powers, how they're generally viewed and treated, the dynamic with the Templars, etc, all interesting and very well-told), but it looks like some of the other origins have juicier character interactions.

Choke on the Magic said:
PC version's by no means ugly, but it's not all that impressive either.

Honestly, I had a poor first impression when it came to the visuals, but I've frequently been stunned at some of the graphical beauty in the game as I go through it.

bengraven

Zeliard said:
City elf sounds awesome to play as. :lol

I enjoyed the Elf Mage origin, especially for how deeply it delved into the lore surrounding mages in the game (how they get their powers, how they're generally viewed, the dynamic with the Templars, etc, all interesting and very well-told), but it looks like some of the other origins have juicier character interactions.

Best part is the drunk elves. While they're talking their friend in the back passes out a couple times.

You can swindle them out of coins, much like tricking a drunk friend into filling up your gas tank to drive him home. :lol

Zeliard

bengraven said:
Best part is the drunk elves. While they're talking their friend in the back passes out a couple times.

You can swindle them out of coins, much like tricking a drunk friend into filling up your gas tank to drive him home. :lol

It's amusing how heartless you can be in this game, despite your character by default being the "good guy" (since he's saving the world, etc). You can swindle people out of their money and then kill them (I did that). You can also force people to give you certain bits of information under the threat of death, and then kill them anyway after they've given it to you (did that too).

Some of the "evil" dialogue options are fantastic.

Ceebs

Yikes...this game just gets harder and harder as you go. In the deep roads now and just getting destroyed by these groups of like 10 darkspawn at once.

anddo0 said:
No

Do you HAVE to be a rouge to pick lock? Can the stealing skill be used for that?

Please go kill yourself.

ROGUE MOTHERFUCKER, ROGUE.

Rouge =
mini-rouge-limited-edition-07060168102.jpg

I get irrationally angry when I see it, I'm sorry :(

imtehman

Banned
Choke on the Magic said:
PC version's by no means ugly, but it's not all that impressive either.

did you think a 50-60 hour for just the MAIN STORY LINE RPG would look as good as an 5-10 hour fps?

BrodiemanTTR said:
Is anyone else experiencing a problem where party members become idle in the middle of battle and allow themselves to be attacked by enemies in melee combat without responding, enemies that they had been previously instructed to attack and will not continue attacking unless constantly being manually reminded to via right-click?

Anyone? Jesus I feel like I'm the only person on Earth having this problem and it is completely gamebreaking.

Fredescu

Lé Blade Runner said:
the combat is... Good enough. Then again, combat has never been Bioware's strongest point - see Mass Effect for example - but it has never bothered me.
Console or PC? The combat is my favourite part of the game so far, and I can only see it getting better.

Zzoram

BrodiemanTTR said:
Anyone? Jesus I feel like I'm the only person on Earth having this problem and it is completely gamebreaking.

Whenever you take direct control of a new person, they stop doing everything until you give them new orders. That's probably what's happening.

Zeliard said:
City Elf sounds awesome to play as. :lol

I enjoyed the Elf Mage origin, especially for how deeply it delved into the lore surrounding mages in the game (how they get their powers, how they're generally viewed and treated, the dynamic with the Templars, etc, all interesting and very well-told), but it looks like some of the other origins have juicier character interactions.

Honestly, I had a poor first impression when it came to the visuals, but I've frequently been stunned at some of the graphical beauty in the game as I go through it.

Are you playing on PC or console? I'm trying to find someone who has it running good on PC and what I need to do to get it that way. It's a fun game to play I just don't want to turn the effects off.

Alex

Its up to you what is impressive or not, but I think its a really nice looking game, I certainly havent played too many console games with as nice of design and scope.

Now, Mass Effect, I thought that game was pretty gross, even on PC. Very bland UE3 fare, although some of the effects on the planets weather was nice.

Only got a few random pics I took from early game to show a friend, nothing amazing, but I still think even in these snaps it looks great.

sorhbo.jpg

2dwazvm.jpg

142bixf.jpg

If this game is "fucking ugly" to someone, then they have some pretty insane standards! As in everything below Uncharted 2 or Crysis, etc. :p

And yes, the combat is great on PC, I can see how it'd be worse on a console, considering some stupid omissions and alterations that I'm sure they could've worked around, but its far, far better fare than theyve had since BG2, and arguably flat out better than even that.

Choke on the Magic said:
Are you playing on PC or console? I'm trying to find someone who has it running good on PC and what I need to do to get it that way. It's a fun game to play I just don't want to turn the effects off.

It seems like you have an odd problem. Your specs should be more than enough to run it fine. Maybe not at everything high, but you should have no problem with having effects turned on.

Zeliard

Fredescu said:
Console or PC? The combat is my favourite part of the game so far, and I can only see it getting better.

The combat in this game is wonderful. Its only real downside is too much of a lack of transparency when it comes to the combat system's underlying stats and numbers.

Choke on the Magic said:

I'm playing on PC with a Q6600 (quad @ 2.4 ghz), 4 gb RAM and an overclocked 8800 GTX. Game is smooth as f'n butter on max settings with AA on top, 1680x1050.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Fuck that encounter. Beat it out of sheer luck. Would have been much easier if I have whats her face, the bard in my party. Poison grenades are NASTY.

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
I'm playing on PC with a Q6600 (quad @ 2.4 ghz), 4 gb RAM and an overclocked 8800 GTX. Game is smooth as f'n butter on max settings with AA on top, 1680x1050.

My E8400 (duo @ 3.0GHz), 4GB RAM, 4870 512mb also runs it maxed with 8xAA at 1680x1050. This game isn't that hard to max.

Wormdundee said:
It seems like you have an odd problem. Your specs should be more than enough to run it fine. Maybe not at everything high, but you should have no problem with having effects turned on.

Yeah I'm going to have to check it out when I'm out of work, but yeah turning AA and res down doesn't help. Only when the effects are off is my frame rate steady.

zeliard said:

Well maybe I either need to overclock or my 3.0 Dual Core isn't cutting it.

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
My E8400 (duo @ 3.0GHz), 4GB RAM, 4870 512mb also runs it maxed with 8xAA at 1680x1050. This game isn't that hard to max.

Yep. I even have 8xAA going myself, as well multisampling transparency AA, though that isn't a big performance hit. Vsync, triple buffering, etc as well. I almost can't believe this is a Bioware game given how optimized it is, and on release no less. We didn't even get a patch!

Ceebs

Choke on the Magic said:
Yeah I'm going to have to check it out when I'm out of work, but yeah turning AA and res down doesn't help. Only when the effects are off is my frame rate steady.
I saw you have an AMD CPU, go in the BIOS and see if AMD Cool and Quiet is set to Auto. If it is, turn that to disable and try running the game.

Top Bottom