• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Zeliard said:
How did you get the Stone Prisoner quest trigger? Automatic?

It tells you how to trigger it in the DLC description. I believe it's something like talking to a merchant that shows up when you make camp. The other DLC automatically adds a quest to your journal.

Zeliard

Wormdundee said:
It tells you how to trigger it in the DLC description. I believe it's something like talking to a merchant that shows up when you make camp. The other DLC automatically adds a quest to your journal.

Ah, missed that. Thanks.

Zeliard

Tobor said:
The bit about Sulcher Pass. That's it.

Yeah, don't think I've talked to the right guy yet.

I'm going through the DLC quests tonight. I've heard that Stone Prisoner doesn't scale with you, though. Some people have been saying they get owned hard there trying to go earlier in the game. Remains to be seen, I guess. :p

Tadale

Tobor said:
Warden's Peak took me a couple of hours, maybe? You get a skill boost, permanent storage, and a nice weapon shop afterwards, though. It was 560 points, I think, I'm fine with that.

Stone Prisoner is free with every new copy, why would you have purchased it?

The code eventually expires. I won't have to buy it, but people purchasing the game down the road will.

Tobor

Zeliard said:

I'm going through the DLC quests tonight. I've heard that Stone Prisoner doesn't scale with you, though. Some people have been saying they get owned hard there trying to go earlier in the game. Remains to be seen, I guess. :p

Ah, maybe I'll wait then. I'm only level 8.

Tadale said:
The code eventually expires. I won't have to buy it, but people purchasing the game down the road will.

Why would that matter to us when we got it for free, though? Seems like a non-issue.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Zeliard said:

I went to get Shale first thing after clearing out Lothering and getting access to the world map. I think I was level 7ish and it was very doable. This was on the PC on hard.

I'm having a problem in Warden's Keep.
After I fight the rage demon and the dead wardens in those magic circles, I can't go through the door. It's locked and says it cannot be picked. I've looked all around the keep and nothing is unlocking it.
Am I missing something, or is this a bug?

jabipun

thetrin said:
I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm getting my ass handed to me left right and center. I'm about 9 hours into the game, and random encounters while travelling are frequently killing all of my party members...also my party members are retards that can't seem to attack things standing right next to them unless I micromanage, which is pretty irritating.

I've given my guys the best possible armor there is available, but I'm still getting killed in a few seconds flat. What am I doing wrong? :\

(playing on normal btw)

arresteddevelopment said:
Nothing... The game is just hard.

What?

Okay, question about difficulty (once again).

On 360 version. I'm on normal, and the game feels kind of easy. It's almost getting a bit boring (combat wise) due to the easiness.

Now, I'm not looking for a game experience to rape my ass 24/7, and I'm not as experienced in this genre as some of you others, but normal on xbox 360 does feel pretty easy. The kicker is I'm not that far in. I JUST GOT MORRIGON. (spelling?). And I just fought those bandits trying to tax me.

Is it more because I'm not that far in the game that the game feels too easy on normal? Make sense, be stupid from a game design standpoint to intimidate the player that early. Or, is the game just that fucking easy, as to where switching it to hard mode is the way to go. I really would not rather switch the difficult constantly during gameplay. Stick with something and go with it. So, if the game feels a bit easy simply because I'm early in the game - and things get harder, I'll stick with normal. If not, I'll switch to hard.

Just reposting on this page.

Is the answer really?

PC Normal = Console Hard

Because, I dabbled on console hard - and shit got out of hand to a degree where the camera angle on the 360 version seemed inadequate for what was going on.

Beernf

Any tips on how to unlock that chest the mage is guarding in the first encampment? Been trying to wait until he walks away, but he never moves.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Beernf said:
Any tips on how to unlock that chest the mage is guarding in the first encampment? Been trying to wait until he walks away, but he never moves.
Come back later (as in plot later, don't just sit around and get a drink)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just got past the prologue:

And had that monk woman join me from the refugee camp. I was so relieved.... finally a healer! I get into combat with about 8 bandits north of the camp, and she's a... BARD? What the fuck! What kind of nun/monk/religious robe wearing woman is a BARD! Don't spoil when I actually get a healer though... just wanted to say how sad I was... especially because my main char is a rogue. 2 rogues in a party is never very useful

Basileus777 said:
I'm having a problem in Warden's Keep.
After I fight the rage demon and the dead wardens in those magic circles, I can't go through the door. It's locked and says it cannot be picked. I've looked all around the keep and nothing is unlocking it.
Am I missing something, or is this a bug?

Ok, it was a bug. I reloaded from an earlier save and now the door opens.

methos75

Banned
How the Hell do you beat that douche Bag Uldred in the Circle of Mages, I know it involves the Litany but I can never get a chance to use it, and I am being swamped my fucking abominations.

somesang

After 14 hours, alls I gotta say is poison coated backstabs are the best thing ever. Add that with the momentum skill and bam, peace out Blight.

Shawsie64

Banned
Im loving this game so far
went to recruit the earl in redcliffe and the quests in the castle were fuck awesome!
:D Voice acting is really good

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Had a bunch of quest in Denerim that I couldn't find. I kept searching and searching but finally gave up. Went to the gate to pull up the travel map, lo and behold there was a city map with all these different places to travel :lol

does anyone know if druids can transform into more than 3 shapes? spider, bear, wolf?

also can the game play itself if the gambit/tactic system is set up well, during non boss fights?

Willectro

Banned
This game is amazing. I was apprehensive because I didn't love Mass Effect, Kotor or NWN. I can't put this game down. Just keeps getting better. Also didn't think that I would ever start different characters, but I definitely think I will. Honestly one of the best games I've played this year and was the least hyped for.

Zeliard

Odious Tea said:
F5'ing after almost every battle, just like the good old days.

Ditto! :D

Massive amounts of F5'ing.

slayn said:
I went to get Shale first thing after clearing out Lothering and getting access to the world map. I think I was level 7ish and it was very doable. This was on the PC on hard.

Ah, good to know.

I'm at level 7. The real question is: do I do Warden's Keep first, or Stone Prisoner? I really want Shale in my party ASAP, but if Warden's Keep is as short as people keep saying, that might be best to go through first. Is Stone Prisoner pretty lengthy?

Decisions decisions.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Zeliard said:
Ditto! :D

Massive amounts of F5'ing.

Ah, good to know.

I'm at level 7. The real question is: do I do Warden's Keep first, or Stone Prisoner? I really want Shale in my party ASAP, but if Warden's Keep is as short as people keep saying, that might be best to go through first. Is Stone Prisoner pretty lengthy?

Decisions decisions.

I did Stone Prisoner first, then Warden's Keep. Completed both in a few hours of play, on Normal. Stone Prisoner was shorter than WK, there's several more battles in WK to fight and more area to explore.

Mindlog

I'm swimming in gall bladders.

My 2H is using templar armor now. I have Blood Dragon Armor/Helmet but I just can't wear it yet. I really really really need to get a new 2H weapon.

game is fun as hell

Darkman M said:
Is there a level cap in this game?

Well, ostensibly there isn't one, but at a certain point you can't really gain enough experience to go up any more levels. Obviously done so that the level cap just flows onward whenever they add an expansion or more DLC.

jabipun

jabipun said:
What?

Okay, question about difficulty (once again).

On 360 version. I'm on normal, and the game feels kind of easy. It's almost getting a bit boring (combat wise) due to the easiness.

Now, I'm not looking for a game experience to rape my ass 24/7, and I'm not as experienced in this genre as some of you others, but normal on xbox 360 does feel pretty easy. The kicker is I'm not that far in. I JUST GOT MORRIGON. (spelling?). And I just fought those bandits trying to tax me.

Is it more because I'm not that far in the game that the game feels too easy on normal? Make sense, be stupid from a game design standpoint to intimidate the player that early. Or, is the game just that fucking easy, as to where switching it to hard mode is the way to go. I really would not rather switch the difficult constantly during gameplay. Stick with something and go with it. So, if the game feels a bit easy simply because I'm early in the game - and things get harder, I'll stick with normal. If not, I'll switch to hard.

Is the answer really as black and white as:

PC Normal = Console Hard (despite the devs saying the PC and console version are equal in difficulty - although they do it in different ways - pc verision more enemies, 360 version fewer but harder enemies...

jabipun said:

Is the answer really?

PC Normal = Console Hard

Because, I dabbled on console hard - and shit got out of hand to a degree where the camera angle on the 360 version seemed inadequate for what was going on.
I don't know about that. But I will say that those bandits on the bridge killed my party one or two times on normal. It wasn't necessarily difficult but needed a bit more than 3 health potions to get through it.

Swag

methos75 said:
How the Hell do you beat that douche Bag Uldred in the Circle of Mages, I know it involves the Litany but I can never get a chance to use it, and I am being swamped my fucking abominations.
You have to wait for the queues from Wynne, you'll notice that at times he'll turn around to start casting on one of the mages, use it then to stop him converting.

I'm late and I'm sure you've figured it out by now :lol , that area was the most unenjoyable for me especially the part after you meet sloth.

Vinci

Danish
After reading about this game, it's pretty much a lock that I'll have to get it. FFS, the trailers didn't interest me at all.

JoeBoy101

Oh my god.

I'm at Camp right now, and clicked on my mombari and Morrigan is chiding him. Her line is:

"A putrid, half-eaten hare, is hardly what a woman wants to find in her unmentionables."

One of my responses (and likely influence drop):

"Can't be stinkier than what normally goes in them."

eddie-murphy-strangr-expression.jpg

LCfiner

ah, finally home. time to load this bad boy up. Redcliffe is getting completed tonight and, hopefully, I can get through Sulcher’s pass as a lvl 7-8.

I have to agree with what some people mentioned before. The stats and combat rules in this game are not as clear or as easy to understand as any of the d20 based systems they used before.

jabipun

Lostconfused said:
I don't know about that. But I will say that those bandits on the bridge killed my party one or two times on normal. It wasn't necessarily difficult but needed a bit more than 3 health potions to get through it.

Were you playing on console normal?

EzLink

Banned
Tadale said:
Obviously, you get more options as your party levels up and more skills become available to you.

Er, I guess maybe I phrased the original question wrong. I know there are abilities or whatever to select from, but the combat just feels too automated, and I don't think that ocacssionally pressing a button to watch the character do a special move is going to make it much more interesting

But hey, even if I don't end up liking the combat, everything else is so awesome that I'll continue playing. This has a really great story and a well developed world (plus the music is fucking fantastic)

Zzoram

bengraven said:
Wow, it only took me a little over an hour to finish the city elf intro and get to the GW camp.

I might do all the intros and then play the game.

If you won't be playing the game again, it's certainly worth doing all 6 intros before picking your favourite to continue with.

jabipun

Rustymonke said:
Totally ignored. :/

I'm sure most people haven't played through them yet, let alone finish one character's game.

This game is huge. Main story, side missions - what have you, doesn't matter. It's going to take more than a day for people to finish the game.

Zeliard

Rustymonke said:

I doubt a lot of people are playing all the origins first.

Obviously, to each his own, but I actually feel like that would kinda spoil it somewhat. When I roll my next character, I want it to feel almost like a completely different game.

Zzoram

Rustymonke said:

I like the City Elf better than Dwarf Commoner. I didn't quite finish Dwarf Commoner though because I got stuck on a fight that was too hard. I only saw the first few minutes of Human Noble but it didn't hit me as being especially unique, just a lot of people acting honourable.

Mindlog

EzLink said:
Er, I guess maybe I phrased the original question wrong. I know there are abilities or whatever to select from, but the combat just feels too automated, and I don't think that ocacssionally pressing a button to watch the character do a special move is going to make it much more interesting

But hey, even if I don't end up liking the combat, everything else is so awesome that I'll continue playing. This has a really great story and a well developed world (plus the music is fucking fantastic)

In the beginning I had no problems breezing through encounters. Then I began to hit wipe encounters. It's as if I'm tackling a mission several levels before I should. Those taught me how to micromanage real quick. My first battle I picked up the Hex/Drain life spell combo.

on some encounters I'm using the hold command and the game is almost a straight up turn-based affair

NewLib

Banned
I just picked up Shale and he is quickly becoming my favorite character. I think I have settled on the Shale, Leliana, and Allistar party.

Top Bottom