• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Aedile

Zzoram said:
I think I messed up my Rogue because I opted for Archery instead of Dual Wield, and bows seem to suck because you miss so many of your shots.

I did the exact same thing and ended up abandoning my first game 20+ hours in, after I kept getting slaughtered in one of those main-character-only portions. Restarted as a mage geared towards freeze+shatter gimmickry, and it's been a cakewalk. Main plus Morrigan annihilate enemies so thoroughly that the other two members of the group are just along for the ride.

EviLore said:
Not really. BG2 has an economy of words that seems to be lacking here, kind of shockingly since DAO's fully voiced.

It seems like a common pitfall of non-D&D fantasy RPGs, both in that the original lore tends to be fanfiction-quality (although DA's is better than most) and because the writers feel obligated to explain things in narrative-dump style. They either tend to be a little too in love with their world or just feel that we need Elric Exposition to explain every aspect of the universe in small words or we won't understand.

nubbe

1920x1200 24xAA settings maxed @ 60FPS

xrf41.jpg

rvzvci.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
nubbe said:
1920x1200 24xAA settings maxed @ 60FPS

xrf41.jpg

rvzvci.jpg

24xAA? Wtf...

The game looks plenty jaggy-free for me at 1920x1200 and 2x AA. But hell, if you are still getting 60fps with those settings... why not?

MOTHERFUCKER

I think I might have missed out on the fucking dog. At Ostagar I accepted the goddamn quest and went to the swamps and got the goddamn flower but when I came back there was no dog and I went straight into the battle.

Now I'm hearing I had to heal the dog in order to pick him up? And that this would've happened right after Ostagar?

I'm already out on the world map, am I fucked? Do I have to start this goddamn game over?

hyduK said:
Little help, guys.

Who the hell can teach me to become a berserker and where in this world do they reside :(.
You can buy a berserker manual in Denerim from a dwarf that sells weapons/armor. Otherwise my guess is the party member you get in Orzamar

Ploid 3.0

Ignis Fatuus said:
MOTHERFUCKER

I think I might have missed out on the fucking dog. At Ostagar I accepted the goddamn quest and went to the swamps and got the goddamn flower but when I came back there was no dog and I went straight into the battle.

Now I'm hearing I had to heal the dog in order to pick him up? And that this would've happened right after Ostagar?

I'm already out on the world map, am I fucked? Do I have to start this goddamn game over?

If you didn't cure the dog before the war and stuff I guess he dies. But if you did you should run into him on the road right after you leave that city.

markot

Banned
Did you complete the quest?
you meet the dog on the road when you leave the place after the big battle, he ran up to me and I had to defend him from some no good demon types

markot

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
I got the flower but I couldn't find the motherfucker to turn the quest in to. He wasn't at the place he was during the day.
Oh... then you might be screwed >.< If you are not that far out from it, just restart on an ealier savegame. Dogs pretty awesome.

markot said:
Oh... then you might be screwed >.< If you are not that far out from it, just restart on an ealier savegame. Dogs pretty awesome.
FUCK THIS GAME. FUCK. TEN HOURS DOWN THE DRAIN.

Where does the motherfucker go to? Where do I turn the quest in?

markot

Banned
You turn it into the guy you get it from.

Um... Im guessing you are screwed anyway... maybe not! Maybe its different for different races...?

markot said:
Oh, he was in the exact same spot for me.
THE FUCK?

I assume this means he disappears after you return from meeting Morrigan the first time. It seems like a really stupid way for the quest to function. Bioware is usually better than this.

I'm shelving this game for now. Holy shit what a waste of time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I personally stopped using the dog fairly early. His abilities are far too limited to occupy a group slot in my opinion.

Fredescu

Ignis Fatuus said:
I assume this means he disappears after you return from meeting Morrigan the first time.
He didn't disappear for me after meeting Morrigan. Maybe he disappears after you hand in the blood? Either way, it's just one party member out of 10. You don't need them all and you're going to have to leave some people behind anyway. This just makes the choice of who to take with you a little easier.

BeeDog

How substantial are the DLC's "Stone Prisoner" and "Warden's Keep"? I didn't preorder the retail, so I'm not getting the "Stone Prisoner" there (I think), but if I buy the Digital Deluxe Edt. off Steam it seems I get both (but I hate not having a copy on my shelf for such a big game). What to do...?

Fredescu

BeeDog said:
How substantial are the DLC's "Stone Prisoner" and "Warden's Keep"? I didn't preorder the retail, so I'm not getting the "Stone Prisoner" there (I think), but if I buy the Digital Deluxe Edt. off Steam it seems I get both (but I hate not having a copy on my shelf for such a big game). What to do...?
Stone Prisoner comes with every new copy, so you should get it unless you buy second hand.

Nif

lorddarkflare said:
I was afraid of this.

Has anyone made him useful?

I've been using him because I like his howling move. It stuns all enemies in a pretty large range. I'm still somewhat early on, though. I don't have most characters.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BeeDog said:

Everyone gets Stone Prisoner as long as they purchase a legitimate copy of the game. You just need to enter a code on the Bioware Social Network webpage. I can't speak as to the substance of each DLC as I haven't gone through them yet, but as far as I know they both provide relatively short adventures and Stone Prisoner yields a powerful party member where Warden's Keep feature some cool items, a "base" with permanent storage and a merchant that sells some neat stuff.

BeeDog

Alright thanks guys, appreciate the fast answers. Will decide what to do.

One last question: the Dragon Armor (that can be used in ME2), how does it work? I plan on buying ME2 in retail (since I have the first game on PC), do you simply get a code on Steam that you can redeem in ME2 when you purchase the Digi Deluxe, or does it work in another way?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Fredescu said:
He didn't disappear for me after meeting Morrigan. Maybe he disappears after you hand in the blood?
He doesn't. I successfully turned in the quest both before the joining and after the joining.

bandresen said:
He doesn't. I successfully turned in the quest both before the joining and after the joining.
I went to the kennels and even checked the freaking pen the dog was inside before. Nothing. I don't know how to explain it then.

What a headache. I'll replay it sometime when I have the time to reinvest.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
chandoog said:
Can someone quickly answer this for me ..

i gave morrigon a black jewel or something and it actually initiated a new quest. I thought you would only initiate character specific quest lines when you're at high affinity with them, and morgan borderline HATES me right now.

Can someone clarify this ? because i'm giving every odd gift i'm finding to that church girl to get her to max as soon as possible.

anyone ?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Ignis Fatuus said:
I went to the kennels and even checked the freaking pen the dog was inside before. Nothing. I don't know how to explain it then.

What a headache. I'll replay it sometime when I have the time to reinvest.
You might have encountered a legitimate bug. I was Dwarf Noble, FYI.

bandresen said:
You might have encountered a legitimate bug. I was Dwarf Noble, FYI.
I was Human Magi, though I'm not sure what difference it would make. Maybe I should log a complaint with Bioware.

I'm going to see if I can recreate the bug, if that's what it was.

Is there any other building in that camp that could be mistaken for the kennels? With the wood fence and pens and everything?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Ignis Fatuus said:
I was Human Magi, though I'm not sure what difference it would make. Maybe I should log a complaint with Bioware.

Is there any other building in that camp that could be mistaken for the kennels? With the wood fence and pens and everything?
Is the quest still open in your log? Maybe you completed it and didnt even notice.

Number 2 said:
Is the quest still open in your log? Maybe you completed it and didnt even notice.
I'll go check this right now.

Incidentally, if I did complete it, why don't I have my goddamn dog?

edit: "You were unable to help the owner and Mabari hound."

BAH.

Aptos

Ignis Fatuus said:

I was a Human Magi too, and I had no trouble with the dog. I
saw he was sick, offered to find an herb to save him, found it in the Wilds area where you meet Morrigan, and gave it to the kennel master dude when I got back out of the Wilds. Then I finished becoming a grey warden. After the Battle of Ostagar, he shows up on a road while you are traveling away from Flemeth's hut.

The battle system in this game really does come down to managing threat/aggro. Once you get the abilities/learn how to do that, the game really isn't that difficult on hard (so far). Because of this, it almost feels like cheating to use Shale since he's such an awesome tank.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BeeDog said:
Alright thanks guys, appreciate the fast answers. Will decide what to do.

One last question: the Dragon Armor (that can be used in ME2), how does it work? I plan on buying ME2 in retail (since I have the first game on PC), do you simply get a code on Steam that you can redeem in ME2 when you purchase the Digi Deluxe, or does it work in another way?

With the game installed on Steam right click on it and choose "view CD keys" (I think that was the name). Depending on your version and if you pre-ordered it or not you should get 1-3 keys displayed in a box. You then take these to the Bioware Social Network website and on the left bar select profile and then select "register game" from the expanded menu. You will then be brought to a screen where you can register your CD keys. If the key is 16 digits, the hyphens should already be there with the Steam CD key so you can just copy and paste it, but for the main game CD key (which is 20 digits) you will have to place a hyphen after every 4th digit when registering it with the Bioware Social Network.

After you have completed registration you just boot up Dragon Age and click the "log in" button at the bottom left of the main menu and enter your Bioware Social Network information. Assuming everything worked okay you will be able to download any install any DLC available to you.

I assume once Mass Effect 2 comes out you will log into the Bioware Social Network in a similar fashion and the game will automatically detect if you have Dragon Age registered or not.

Number 2 said:
Have you traveled to Lothering yet? Did you get a cutscene?
I'm out of Lothering and on the World Map, and nothing, and the quest is failed in my log, and I couldn't find the quest giving motherfucker after returning from the woods despite searching what I am 99% sure was the kennels.

Ha!! Silly Howe of Arl. Your trap failed miserably...now I am ganging for you, you pos. Effectively wasted your pathetic little deathsquad. :lol

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Ignis Fatuus said:
I'm out of Lothering and on the World Map, and nothing, and the quest is failed in my log, and I couldn't find the quest giving motherfucker after returning from the woods despite searching what I am 99% sure was the kennels.
That sucks. i cant remember exactly what triggered the transition to evening. It must have been when you give Duncan the blood and start the Joining. i think it was after the Joining when all the Tranquil were away because it was night. i feel for you. i hate when that stuff happens. And it just goes to show that as great as staggered Auto-saves are, there is nothing like keeping a meticulous save library.. something im going to have to start doing just in case i miss something.

hamchan

Welp I love this game 10 hours in. At first I thought it was too easy but after redcliff I'm constantly getting owne do I'm saving after most battles. I turned it up to hard then changed it back to normal and it feels like it's still on hard. I initially chose a warrior but I find my favourite class to play is a mage, too late to chnge now though. I'm currently doing the
Temple of Andraste
quest and just saving before the quest to get both achievements :D

So during the
mage tower
questline I came across an interesting comparison.
Are the mages supposed to be Bioware's version of Warhammer 40K's Psychers? I mean we have them being taken away when they're young because they show skill and are there for the rest of their lives. Their abilities are abhorred, but at the same time desired and used for their by the leadership on a short leash. They're powers can rip open the Fade and welcome demons who feast upon emotions and can turn them into twisted creatures. Then there are rogue mages who are across the whole morality spectrum. Just replace mage with psycher and Fade with Warp and you have a huge chunk of Warhammer 40K lore right there basically transplanted over.
I'm loving the game so far and yes I realize Bioware would not be the first to do this, I'm looking at you Blizzard. I guess its such an awesome concept and can be used across many genres.

What do you all think?

Top Bottom