• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
chandoog said:
Can someone quickly answer this for me ..

i gave morrigon a black jewel or something and it actually initiated a new quest. I thought you would only initiate character specific quest lines when you're at high affinity with them, and morgan borderline HATES me right now.

Can someone clarify this ? because i'm giving every odd gift i'm finding to that church girl to get her to max as soon as possible.

Come on guys, help a brother out

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Yoboman said:
What kind of frame rates are you guys getting?
With everything turned up and like 1280x800 rez i was getting like 30-40 fps. When i turned V-sync off and AA at 2x i was getting 40-50 fairly consistently. With Fraps running i get like 15-30 :lol

edit: specs.. C2D 6320, 4GB ram, 8600 GTS, Win 7 64-bit

My stats: World Explored - 8%, Time Played - 8:20:36 At this rate it's gonna be 100 hrs for me.

I've become grey warden. Fucking awesome so far.
I didn't expect Duncan to kill that guy. Dark story indeed. Once you're in, you stay in forever or die. There is no going back.
Cut scenes are very good. Not graphically of course.

I've to be careful with Walking Bomb spell. Killed my party twice by mistake.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Yoboman said:
What kind of frame rates are you guys getting?

Well with everything at 720P and no AA textures in medium and models in Med-High, about 30Fps with some hits and there.

Specs:
IBM Xenon 3.2GHZ
Custom ATI GPU Xenos
512MB RAM
20GB HDD

Truant

MirageDwarf said:
My stats: World Explored - 8%, Time Played - 8:20:36 At this rate it's gonna be 100 hrs for me.

I've become grey warden. Fucking awesome so far.
I didn't expect Duncan to kill that guy. Dark story indeed. Once you're in, you stay in forever or die. There is no going back.
Cut scenes are very good. Not graphically of course.

I've to be careful with Walking Bomb spell. Killed my party twice by mistake.

Walking Bomb is da bomb if you use it well. It's kinda overpowered.

wewt redownloading the game was the trick, now it works!

i was able to use my ea account to sign up for the social site AND link it to my old bioware forums account (since it said my display name was in use and if I was the original owner enter my bioware site login info).

Geoff9920

Revelations said:
Nope. You have to go into the start menu and change to set 2 weapons. :/ They coulda made it much easier...
That's not true...

Radial Menu -> Advanced (top right) -> Switch Weapon Sets

You can also tell the rest of your party to hold position from this section of the menu too.

Railer

Ok , i have a question about the Dwarf Noble storyline in the beginning.

I just killed the mercenaries, entered the tomb or whatever with the grave where the shield is supposed to be. The only thing i can do in this room though is press the ring against the indent in the grave, but nothing happens. So I'm kinda stuck.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished the Redcliffe Castle quest
where you save Connor. Did anyone else manage to persuade First Enchanter Irving to go into the Fade himself? He was a complete badass. A lvl 16 mage with a bunch of spells I had never used before when all of my other characters were lvl 8 or 9. He really made that quest simple!
Damn this game is awesome.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Railer said:
Ok , i have a question about the Dwarf Noble storyline in the beginning.

I just killed the mercenaries, entered the tomb or whatever with the grave where the shield is supposed to be. The only thing i can do in this room though is press the ring against the indent in the grave, but nothing happens. So I'm kinda stuck.

Answer:
there are 3 plates in the floor that depress when you stand on it. You have to command each of your party to stand on one and have them stay there. Once all three are standing on the plates at the same time you can use your ring.

DieH@rd

Banned
Zefah said:
where you save Connor. Did anyone else manage to persuade First Enchanter Irving to go into the Fade himself? He was a complete badass. A lvl 16 mage with a bunch of spells I had never used before when all of my other characters were lvl 8 or 9. He really made that quest simple!

:O

Doc Evils

Here is the doodoo European collectors editions:

x51ajc.jpg

vhrt4i.jpg

My first and last EA collectors edition. Glad I didn't waste even more money on the console version.

markot

Banned
Zefah said:
Bah >.< I might try that, I sent in that turd face so he could redeem himself, the blood mage...

But he sucks.... I just ended a session after dieing like 3 times in the same spot. Lucky I save so much so I can just go back and get him ^_^

LCfiner

Oh man played a ton last night.

Redcliffe and circle of magi spoilers

so the choices they give you to save Conner or the village are pretty good. i really had to think a long while about it. ultimately, I decided to go back to the tower to get some mages and run back in time to save the town (hopefully).

but... I'm still stuck in the damn tower cuz it's overrun by blood mages and abominations. and then I got to the top and now I'm stuck in the fade, trying o flight the sloth demon. this is taking forever! I just want to hussle back to Redcliffe

that village is gonna be toast, I know it. I shoulda just killed the kid or his mom.

My origin story was magi so I immediately recognized Jowan down in the basement in Redcliffe. I liked that they gave you the option to use blood magic to save Conner. It was also interesting to see a character from one of the 6 origin stories play such a large role in the quest.

so now I'm thinking a) anyone who played a different origin story has no idea of this NPCs background. they only know that he's a blood mage and so this could easily affect the decisions you make regarding his fate and b) there must certainly be other NPCs that I will encounter down the line that figure in other origin stories but whom I won't recognize. very nice.

another example of the great way the origin stories affect the rest of the game and don't just come to an abrupt end once you join the grey wardens.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn that is one shitty collector's edition. No extras and a second disc in a plastic bag? How awful. What is on the second disc by the way?

Yoboman

Number 2 said:
i mean recording. Do you have an ATI card?
I'm getting 28 - 40 FPS with all high settings 1680 x 1050 resolution and 4x AA

Specs:
i7 920
4GB RAM
GTX 260

Anybody with similar specs tell me what they are getting?

Zefah said:
Damn that is one shitty collector's edition. No extras and a second disc in a plastic bag? How awful. What is on the second disc by the way?

It's a crappy DVD. If the packaging was nice this would be alright, but it's a horrid little thing. Good job it's only £5 more - that's the cost of Warden's Keep, so if you were planning on buying it anyway it's alright.

Doc Evils

Zefah said:

Making of videos, concept art, game sound track, wallpaper and other crap.

markot

Banned
i7 920
6gb ram
ati 4770

Max settings, same rez, but only 2x aa, getting enough that I never have slowdown or anything, seems to be 60 or so, I cant tell though >.>!

Truant

Yoboman said:

Specs:
i7 920
4GB RAM
GTX 260

Same basic setup here. Seems to be some issues, as other people with lower specs are reporting locked 60fps. Using Vista 64?

PBY

Banned
can someone definitively give me an answer about the difficulty of this game? The only way I purchase this if "easy" is actually "easy"- So far everything points to no, game looks too fucking hard

Yoboman

Truant said:
Same basic setup here. Seems to be some issues, as other people with lower specs are reporting locked 60fps. Using Vista 64?
Windows 7 64-bit, you getting similar sort of frame rates?

Hoping it's not my hardware

Also my CPU fan goes into hyper mode for this game. I don't get that with even Crysis

LCfiner

peterb0y said:
can someone definitively give me an answer about the difficulty of this game? The only way I purchase this if "easy" is actually "easy"- So far everything points to no, game looks too fucking hard

I am a gaming difficulty wuss like you. :lol

easy is really friggin' easy. 12 hours in and I've died once, but I was separated from my party and was taken by surprise.

oh, console version guy here. PC easy may be slightly more difficult.

Truant

peterb0y said:

The problem isn't the difficulty itself, just that it is so uneven. Some battles are easy, some are challenging and rewarding, others are unfair and frustrating to the point of me just lowering the setting to easy just to progress.

PBY

Banned
LCfiner said:
I am a gaming difficulty wuss like you. :lol

easy is really friggin' easy. 12 hours in and I've died once, but I was separated from my party and was taken by surprise.

oh, console version guy here. PC easy may be slightly more difficult.
thanks! and yeah, i'd be playing on the 360- hmm, that definitely makes me feel a lot better about picking it up in the near future, all I need to do is find 60 hours somewhere in my schedule

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
peterb0y said:

Easy seems pretty easy to me. i made a video showing a duel with the vary difficulties. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adjq7sxmlp8

edit:

So im redoing my Nightmare run of Dwarf Noble Rogue because i didnt bother recording before. i was pleased to find out that some enemies are not static. As i was leaving a certain area there is a battle with some darkspawn. im am almost 100% positive that the previous run did not have a yellow named Blight Hound in the group. Wiped me like 4 times :lol Also some of the loot i am positive is diffferent. Got a nice mace from a random corpse.. not an enemy, just one thats on the ground already. i dont remember what i got before but it wasnt as nice as this mace.

koji

Doc Evils said:
Here is the doodoo European collectors editions

That's the UK PC CE I guess?

I've got the mainland PC CE and it has the cloth map and a nice tin case etc.

-> This one.

Strange that there are various CE's for Europe, typical when you take all the different Dragon Age versions into account though...

Acidote

Doc Evils said:
Here is the doodoo European collectors editions:

x51ajc.jpg

vhrt4i.jpg

My first and last EA collectors edition. Glad I didn't waste even more money on the console version.

THAT is the collector's edition I bought? No translucid shell? Not a tin case either? What about the map and the OST? Is that bonus disc?

Truant

Yoboman said:
Windows 7 64-bit, you getting similar sort of frame rates?

Hoping it's not my hardware

Also my CPU fan goes into hyper mode for this game. I don't get that with even Crysis

Fan is normal, but I was getting 20-40 fps on the same settings on Vista 64.

I completely cleaned away all traces of drivers, and re-installed the latest nVidia ones. I then got 40-60, and a much smoother gameplay experience, because it used to chug when turning around the camera, even if the framerate was 30-40. That went away completely after I cleaned my system. I still think it slows down in busy areas, so it might be a 64-bit issue.

koji

Acidote said:
THAT is the collector's edition I bought? No translucid shell? Not a tin case either? What about the map and the OST? Is that bonus disc?

Depends, that one is the UK CE, I knew it was different but not _that_ different.

Received news today that it'll take upto a week to receive my redeem codes for my extra shizzle that comes with the Digital Deluxe Edition, GG EAstore, last time I'm buying something there...

Edit; just checked my mailbox and it looks like I just received all my codes!

Fredescu

Yoboman said:

Specs:
i7 920
4GB RAM
GTX 260

I have:
Q9550 @ 3.6ghz
4GB RAM
HD4890

I have everything at high, 8xAA, 1920x1200, and I'm usually at 60fps. That's with a worse processor and a slightly better video card. Doesn't sound right.

squall211

God I want to pick this up so badly, but I'm trying to exert some patience and wait for (hopefully) a Black Friday deal from Amazon. I've got $95 in Amazon credit just begging to be spent.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yoboman said:

Specs:
i7 920
4GB RAM
GTX 260

I'm running the game at max graphical settings, 1920x1200 resolution, 2x AA and no Vsync with a Core 2 Duo E8500 (3.2ghz), 4GB RAM and a HD4870 1GB on 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate and according to FRAPS at least I am getting 60fps with dips into the 40s in some scenes. Some areas will even drop into the 30s but I have never gone sub-30.

fanboi

Banned
Zefah said:
I'm running the game at max graphical settings, 1920x1200 resolution, 2x AA and no Vsync with a Core 2 Duo E8500 (3.2ghz), 4GB RAM and a HD4870 1GB on 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate and according to FRAPS at least I am getting 60fps with dips into the 40s in some scenes. Some areas will even drop into the 30s but I have never gone sub-30.

I have almost the same computer (4850 1 gb difference) and run in 1920x1080 8xAA, max settings and vsync and feels good :)

Doc Evils

koji said:
That's the UK PC CE I guess?

I've got the mainland PC CE and it has the cloth map and a nice tin case etc.

-> This one.

Strange that there are various CE's for Europe, typical when you take all the different Dragon Age versions into account though...

:(

Truant said:
Fan is normal, but I was getting 20-40 fps on the same settings on Vista 64.

I completely cleaned away all traces of drivers, and re-installed the latest nVidia ones. I then got 40-60, and a much smoother gameplay experience, because it used to chug when turning around the camera, even if the framerate was 30-40. That went away completely after I cleaned my system. I still think it slows down in busy areas, so it might be a 64-bit issue.
I'm a little disappointed with my performance currently, and I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.

Core2Duo@2.4Ghz
4GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670

I know the videocard isn't up to much, but I'm playing with settings on medium and AA completely off (vsync on) to get 40fps.

Meanwhile I get the same framerate or better in L4D2 with everything maxed (and AA off).

Leonsito

I don't know where to ask this, so I just will post it here.

I've been thinking of getting this from the EA digital store, since g2play has some cheap keys, I read that some people don't like the EA store, what are the problems with it ? DRM? Limited downloads/activations?

koji

Leonsito said:
I don't know where to ask this, so I just will post it here.

I've been thinking of getting this from the EA digital store, since g2play has some cheap keys, I read that some people don't like the EA store, what are the problems with it ? DRM? Limited downloads/activations?

My experience so far has been pretty crappy, first the client download was corrupt, that got sorted by downloading the entire thing again (basically everyone who did the preload had corrupt files), today I read it could take upto a week to get your redeem codes for all the extra shizzle but I just got that in the mail.

All in all not so good but everything is OK now, I wouldn't recommend it though...

EAstore were the first ones listing the Digital Deluxe Edition, that's why I bought mine there...

painey

I got the 360 version and the graphics are.. a bit arsey, but its to be expected. I get the same feeling that I get from Mass Effect, that I love doing the adventury bits and talky quests but don't enjoy the combat much. I think as soon as I beat this im going back to my original 6 CD (i think) BG1 and installing the widescreen mod and finally beating it.

Acidote

koji said:
Depends, that one is the UK CE, I knew it was different but not _that_ different.

Received news today that it'll take upto a week to receive my redeem codes for my extra shizzle that comes with the Digital Deluxe Edition, GG EAstore, last time I'm buying something there...

Edit; just checked my mailbox and it looks like I just received all my codes!

I've just received my Collector's Edition, and the case is much nicer than that one, 3 separate discs well sotred (and not piled one over the former) and a 4th disk with the game manual in spanish :D

LCfiner

yeah, the more I play, the more low res textures I see on the 360. the default "blacksmith" clothing texture is ridiculously low res. The two front buckles are distractingly awful looking in cutscenes - It looks worse than the textures in Shenmue. It's one thing for low res art on walls or floors or static objects but it's much worse to see that on people.

it's not hindering my enjoyment of the game but it's certainly something I notice here and there.

... I smell a double dip coming up with the PC version :lol perhaps after I've played ME2 and AP.

sendu

Neo Member
Snuggler said:
I didn't see anything for it in the case. I just had codes for the dragon armor and shale, it's a bummer cause I still would have been able to use to ME codes for whatever useless junk it would have given me.

The code for the dragon armor unlocks it in both DA and ME2 (on any platform).

sendu

Neo Member
Himuro said:
He's useful for stunning mobs but that's about it.

Either way, he's hilarious but since he doesn't talk it's not a loss at all.

Actually, according to the writers, dog is one of the better party members for 'talking' since the other characters in your party have great banter lines with dog, interpreting his barks.

So yes, you do miss out.

LCfiner

sendu said:
Actually, according to the writers, dog is one of the better party members for 'talking' since the other characters in your party have great banter lines with dog, interpreting his barks.

So yes, you do miss out.

Dear God... just drowning in content. How may times are we gonna have to play this game to see and hear everything :lol

sendu

Neo Member
bathala said:
they knew they will have Warden's keep DLC even before the game was done.

They didn't. DLC NPCs don't actually exist in the base game (they're not on the disc). They get injected into the game when the updater service finds that there is new DLC available. It's supposed to give a (relatively) seamless way of accessing DLC. I love the idea, and the implementation.

Some people hate the idea of NPCs offering DLC (I've no idea why), so if you never want to see these NPCs, just disable the updater service.

Top Bottom