• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

MikeMyers

So someone recently bought me the Blue Bricks and been watching various parts of the series. Just got done redoing the 22nd Budokai fights, love those. Especially the "Wolf Hurricane" theme song and the fight between Kuririn and Chaozu. I think this is the last arc to feel like "DB" in terms of tone. The following arcs are enjoyable but they just follow the Tao Pai Pai formula of "Strong villain appears, hero gets stronger to beat him" that repeats and repeats again and again. Well, except for the 23rd Budokai, but I have other issues with that.

Anth0ny

Dragon Ball Heroes continues to go full DBAF:

Pure Majin Buu absorbing “Kibitoshin”

shit I don't even think I've ever seen that one before. they think of everything, huh.

SSJ4 gohan next, surely!

MikeMyers

And still no SSj3 Raditz.

Ever notice when people do it abbreviated they do "SSJ" but when they type it out they just say Super Saiyan?

MikeMyers

Heh, I think Yamcha would be the sailor of the series. Guy is always transporting people in his helicopter - to get to Baba's location, bring everyone to the Daimao battle, and is driving the helicopter in the Cell arc when Goku recovers from the heart disease.

MikeMyers

Is there any reason why Funimation choose to get rid of the insert dub or slap an annoying narration on top of it?

One day in my film course I will make a Tuxeo Mask AMV set to "Wolf Hurricane." Dat Tōru Furuya.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So....nothing to do with whatever the hell you guys are talking about, but I have to ask this.

It's one of the many questions that has been bothering me since I watched the show. But how the fuck does having Piccolo (power level < 40,000) and Nail (power level: 42,000) merge = power level 1,000,000+?

Seriously. Like many things in DBZ, that makes no goddamned sense.

MikeMyers

Dragon Ball doesn't really have any internal logic or consistency; the character's strength gains rely on what the plot demands rather than any form of logic. Toryiama even said in his Battle of Gods message that the series is one best left enjoyed without thinking too hard about it.

This reminds me of a conversation I had the other day with someone. I told him that the Yamcha, Tenshinhan, & Chaozu Vs. Recoome, Jeice, Burter, & Guldo filler is one of my favorites because it actually gives a pay off the Earthlings training on Kaio's planet, and he hates it because it doesn't make sense for them to gain much strength in that amount of time. I told him the series never made sense to begin with; the very first arc features Master Roshi flying on a turtle! If that doesn't tell you anything, I don't know what will.

So....nothing to do with whatever the hell you guys are talking about, but I have to ask this.

It's one of the many questions that has been bothering me since I watched the show. But how the fuck does having Piccolo (power level < 40,000) and Nail (power level: 42,000) merge = power level 1,000,000+?

Same reason 2 super saiyans combined can go SSJ3.

Nothing involving power levels makes a god damned bit of sense. Just accept it.

That's pretty much why numerical battle powers were canned. People focused too much on the numbers instead of letting the drama dictate a character's strength.

Not that it really worked since we still have people complaining about stuff like Vegeta's attack in Battle of Gods.

jaxword

Power Levels were never intended to actually be accurate; people keep on forgetting this. EVERYONE who relied on power levels died. In the very first battle with them, Raditz believed he would win, then died because he underestimated Goku and Piccolo's unique skills, even if they were technically weaker.

Also, for the merging question: when two weaker metals make an alloy, the alloy is stronger than the component parts.

Oblivion

Also, for the merging question: when two weaker metals make an alloy, the alloy is stronger than the component parts.

Sure, but multiple times what those two metal would be on their own? (Yes, I'm sure there are some that exist, don't bother looking it up) Again, Nail was at 42,000 and Piccolo was probably at best around the same level (I say that because he was about as strong as Yamcha, Tien and Chaozu were during their training, and those three were able to stand up to the Ginyu Force, and yes I'm aware that was filler, but just work with me here, fellas).

And while we're at it, perhaps the bigger question is why did Piccolo want to be wished to Namek to fight Freeza in the first place? This was before he had any intention (or fuck, any idea) of fusing. He never came to Namek with the plan to do so. Seriously, what the fuck did he think he could do?!

MikeMyers

And while we're at it, perhaps the bigger question is why did Piccolo want to be wished to Namek to fight Freeza in the first place? This was before he had any intention (or fuck, any idea) of fusing. He never came to Namek with the plan to do so. Seriously, what the fuck did he think he could do?!

Piccolo does a lot of stupid things in the series. I'm actually surprised people praise his intelligence when most of his ideas backfire.

jaxword

Sure, but multiple times what those two metal would be on their own? (Yes, I'm sure there are some that exist, don't bother looking it up) Again, Nail was at 42,000 and Piccolo was probably at best around the same level (I say that because he was about as strong as Yamcha, Tien and Chaozu were during their training, and those three were able to stand up to the Ginyu Force, and yes I'm aware that was filler, but just work with me here, fellas).

Well, yes to your first question, the alloys are stronger to various degrees.

Also, we're talking about MAGICAL POWER LEVELS. They have a few basic logical rules (A+B= C, C > A or B) and that's all. Everything beyond that is nerd wankery over numbers that are proven, over and over, to be meaningless.

Piccolo didn't think Freeza could transform to that degree. He got overconfident, which is the main reason why most fights fail in DBZ.

Oblivion

Piccolo didn't think Freeza could transform to that degree. He got overconfident, which is the main reason why most fights fail in DBZ.

No I meant before they even started fighting. Freeza in his base form was 250,000 - 500,000. Considering he got killed by Nappa, why would he think he could stand a snowball's chance against Freeza?

FSLink

Banned
Power levels in Dragon Ball are so absurd at times I just ignore it.

So if I want to watch the TV Specials and movies of Z, the best route would be the DVD releases right? For the TV specials, the individual releases since they're 4:3 vs 16:9 on the steelbook, and for the movies would the best route be to get those movie packs on Amazon and watch them in 16:9?

Also I got my Dragon Box Vol. 3! Just waiting for Vol. 6 and I'll have the full Z DVD set. :D
I kind of want to pick up the Rock the Dragon set later on for nostalgia even if I prefer the Japanese dub + music now.

Jarate

Banned

It mentions that if Piccolo were to be "complete" his power level would be massive. Adding Nail did not make him "complete" bu it did allow him to be much like his former self, which most likely, would've been about as strong as Frieza.

Also, The Power Creep in the Frieza Arc is absolutely absurd. Within 7 days Goku goes from 10K - 20K to 180,000 (probably higher), then he gets to be well over 2 million just be healing.

Gohan's surge can somewhat be explained, but

jaxword

No I meant before they even started fighting. Freeza in his base form was 250,000 - 500,000. Considering he got killed by Nappa, why would he think he could stand a snowball's chance against Freeza?

Oh, well, Piccolo trained with King Kai, that likely gave him a confidence boost.

Also, he was worried about Gohan and, honestly, wanted revenge for the race he never knew.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It mentions that if Piccolo were to be "complete" his power level would be massive. Adding Nail did not make him "complete" bu it did allow him to be much like his former self, which most likely, would've been about as strong as Frieza.

Also, The Power Creep in the Frieza Arc is absolutely absurd. Within 7 days Goku goes from 10K - 20K to 180,000 (probably higher), then he gets to be well over 2 million just be healing.

Gohan's surge can somewhat be explained, but

Nah he got the crap kicked out of him by Vega on earth and healed from that so he's probably went from about where Vegeta was on early Namek (30,000 or so) to 200,000-300,000 from the gravity. Then he'd double again and make the rest up using Kaioken the entire fight until he transforms.

MikeMyers

Just a way to put Goku over Vegeta, who crushed Goku in the previous saga.

Like the Holy Water bullshit, just a way to put Goku over Tenshinhan, who was Goku's equal previously.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I still can never decide internally whether Cell's bullshit powers outweigh Buu's.

Cell can:

Get stronger by eating people in his first form only.
Get stronger by being killed like Goku.
Regenerate any body part with time like Piccolo.
Can survive with the smallest piece of him left.
Can learn any move seemingly megaman style.
Can clone himself into mini cells that are still strong as shit.

Buu can

Do most of that crap but magically. Can always get stronger by eating people but can't get stronger by being beat up. Has to eat people to learn stuff. Can turn people into chocolate which is some big bullshit but does it equal the get strong by being beat up nonsense, I do not know.

Jarate

Banned
Nah he got the crap kicked out of him by Vega on earth and healed from that so he's probably went from about where Vegeta was on early Namek (30,000 or so) to 200,000-300,000 from the gravity. Then he'd double again and make the rest up using Kaioken the entire fight until he transforms.

Vegeta was listed as 26,000 before Namek

also, the funny thing is that Vegeta mentions that the wounds you face with the power-up can't be self inflicted, which further disproves Gokus incredible increase in power.

The best way to explain the polwer-up from near death experience is that the ability was there, but Goku powergamed his way to be able to somewhat compete with Frieza, and the GM cut that shit out (No one else has that large of an increase in power in that short of a time, disregarding transformations and fusions)

Also, why the fuck did Tien, Yamcha and Chiaotzu never learned the Kaioken. That could've been a nice way to keep them relevant in the series.

Also, Ive been working on a Dragonball Tabletop RPG, once I'm done thinking of the rules, I post em up here to see what you guys think

Jarate

Banned
I still can never decide internally whether Cell's bullshit powers outweigh Buu's.

Cell can:

Buu can

Do most of that crap but magically. Can always get stronger by eating people but can't get stronger by being beat up. Has to eat people to learn stuff. Can turn people into chocolate which is some big bullshit but does it equal the get strong by being beat up nonsense, I do not know.

All I can say is that thank god Cell showed up to save the Android Arc. The Androids made absolutely no sense, and it makes sense that a clone of every single warrior could be that strong, not robots made in a lab by an earthling

MikeMyers

All I can say is that thank god Cell showed up to save the Android Arc. The Androids made absolutely no sense, and it makes sense that a clone of every single warrior could be that strong, not robots made in a lab by an earthling

But then it gets boring again once Cell becomes complete. He has no motivation anymore, so he is just a villain for the sake of a being a villain. He's gonna host a tournament because PLOT and he's gonna blow up the planet if he wins because VILLAIN. I mean, what's he gonna do then? Fly to a new planet and destroy that? Does he have a spaceship, because he doesn't know how to teleport yet.

I mean, just my opinion of course, but I've always felt the best part of that arc was when Imperfect Cell was running around.

Jarate

Banned
But then it gets boring again once Cell becomes complete. He has no motivation anymore, so he is just a villain for the sake of a being a villain. He's gonna host a tournament because PLOT and he's gonna blow up the planet if he wins because VILLAIN. I mean, what's he gonna do then? Fly to a new planet and destroy that? Does he have a spaceship, because he doesn't know how to teleport yet.

I mean, just my opinion of course, but I've always felt the best part of that arc was when Imperfect Cell was running around.

Definitely, although there was a certain element to Cell that just made him super badass as Perfect Cell.

I think he was planning on just destroying the universe if I remember correctly. He was killing Goku because he was made to do so. Just like how the Androids were just going around blowing shit up after killing the Z Warriors. It's not that they were evil perse, it's just their purpose had run its course, and the next logical thing as a deathgod with no purpose is to blow shit up.

Cell was the closest we got to King Piccolo in DBZ IMO, and King Piccolo is probably my favorite Villain in Dragon Ball.

if we're going to make a DBZ Villain Power Rankings it's go to be:

1. Frieza
2. Vegeta (Majin Vegeta was pretty ballin too)
3. Ginyu Force (Rekoome Especially)
4. Cell
5. Nappa
6. Kid Buu
7. Android 19 & 20 (Those mutherfuckers were incredibly well designed, they didn't last long, but man where they awesome robots)
8. Android 17 & 18
9. Raditz
10. Fat Buu
11. Super Buu

9001. Garlic Jr

MikeMyers

I really like 19 and 20 too, too bad Toriyama's former editor didn't. They had a creepy horror vibe to them and the Ki Absorbtion idea was unique too. I like how Yamcha's WORF EFFECT lasted all the way from Jackie Chun to these guys.

I don't think the strength of the cyborgs is a problem. #8 is already really strong in the Red Ribbon arc of Dragon Ball, it makes sense that the technology would progress over time.

That's not even mentioning "Earth Splitter" Arale.

Jarate

Banned
I really like 19 and 20 too, too bad Toriyama's former editor didn't. They had a creepy horror vibe to them and the Ki Absorbtion idea was unique too. I like how Yamcha's WORF EFFECT lasted all the way from Jackie Chun to these guys.

Ki Absorption really could've been an awesome equalizer between the two groups, it makes a lot more sense then LOL ROBOTS ARE 2 STRONK

Frieza became a fucking cyborg with the best technology in the universe and still lost to Future Trunks, that was even before the Future Trunks 3 year time skip.

Jarate

Banned
I don't think the strength of the cyborgs is a problem. #8 is already really strong in the Red Ribbon arc of Dragon Ball, it makes sense that the technology would progress over time.

That's not even mentioning "Earth Splitter" Arale.

#8 Is just said to be powerful, but we never get to see his power. The only other Cyborg is the Terminator spoof character and he was easily beaten by Goku.

Arale might "technically" be canon, but she's not canon. That was more of a joke then anything.

Cell can:

Buu can

I'll have to go with Buu. If any cell of his survive he fully regenerates with hardly any difference after an attack. He can learn techniques just by seeing it once actually. Only thing he doesn't have is getting stronger by almost getting killed.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'll have to go with Buu. If any cell of his survive he fully regenerates with hardly any difference after an attack. He can learn techniques just by seeing it once actually. Only thing he doesn't have is getting stronger by almost getting killed.

See but that's what would really make Cell invincible if he hadn't gotten killed by SSJ2 Gohan. It's not his fault he gets killed.

If anything its the chocolate beam that would push Buu over the edge for me.

EmiPrime

Dragon Ball doesn't really have any internal logic or consistency; the character's strength gains rely on what the plot demands rather than any form of logic. Toryiama even said in his Battle of Gods message that the series is one best left enjoyed without thinking too hard about it.

I agree and the power levels thing is a plot device that really culminated with:

CFRRpOH.jpg

Reading that gave me goosebumps at the time. Beyond that point I don't think the numbers really matter and the constant power gain leapfrogging has been a DB staple since the beginning, to be taken at face value. The over-analysing that goes on at sites such as the DB Wiki desperately miss the point.

RELAYER

Banned
I think I remember Cell using it on Gohan too and Gohan catches it.

I remember Frieza using it but wasn't sure if he just copied it from Krillin after Krillin cut his tail off.

The only thing is I can't remember if Krillin could change the direction of his like Frieza could.

jaxword

It makes no sense that an earthling in a lab can build a time machine, an ability even God cannot master.

Or maybe it does make sense in that sometimes people just are really smart and when they're really focused and driven they can achieve anything, which is the entire point of Dragonball.

See but that's what would really make Cell invincible if he hadn't gotten killed by SSJ2 Gohan. It's not his fault he gets killed.

If anything its the chocolate beam that would push Buu over the edge for me.

I think if Perfect Cell was to fight Kid Buu (weaker than super I know, but more random and brutal), he'll lose big time even at equal strength. Buu's ultimate strength is his endurance and immortality. I don't think he'll give Cell a chance to regenerate or even let him. Kid Buu is merciless.

jaxword

I think if Perfect Cell was to fight Kid Buu (weaker than super I know, but more random and brutal), he'll lose big time even at equal strength. Buu's ultimate strength is his endurance and immortality. I don't think he'll give Cell a chance to regenerate or even let him. Kid Buu is merciless.

Cell would be at a disadvantage for sure. He could win if he managed a perfect Spirit Bomb, though.

That'll require him to have something to distract Buu. But I guess Cell Jrs can work if they can live long enough. Funny if they get absorbed.

Top Bottom