• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I bet you want to watch it with Bruce Falc music too, you heathen. Honestly though Sean's Current Goku sounds amazing on Kai.

I'm a dirty heathen who wants that, I love Bruce Faulconer's music in DBZ.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Seriously, the series is full of examples of weaker people, in a moment of rage or opportunity, landing blows on a far stronger opponent. I listed a ton just last page.

This is what Krillin does in just about every single fight he is ever in.

Gohan does it a bunch too.

Branson

What dafuq happened to Christopher Sabat's voice in Kai? Piccolo and Vegeta sound so samey now and BORING too.

I've actually heard quite good things about their performances. More subtle. Especially Piccolo. Isnt that how hes kind of supposed to sound? I just listened to a Kanzensuu podcast about the first Kai release and they were impressed with it and they are fans of the original Japanese version.

Anth0ny

is the ocean dub of kai dragon ball's last guardian
boo saga being dragon ball's final fantasy xv obvsly

I don't understand what the hold up is with Boo saga lol... I heard it might take Toriko's spot in Japan this year? Dub might air this year too?

I'm convinced Ocean dub isn't being released at this point.

Branson

Just got my Kai season 1 Blu ray. First of all I love the remaster job. I like the look of it. 4:3 is sexy. The new theme and opening/eye catches/ending are all great to me. I picked it up instead of the new blurays and I'm glad I did. The replacement music has been fine so far and I like the original japanese music so that wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Now the dub is fantastic and I don't feel embarrassed to watch this anymore. I can't go back to the original funi dub anymore. The lack of filler is great so far and it's pretty fun to watch now. I feel like this is my definitive way to watch the series now. Just some thoughts.

MikeMyers

So much Snow today.

Bei0LJ0CYAE-arW.png

Branson

He was the voice director on Kai and did an amazing job.
You have Bad Taste. :V
It really is great. When I bought the original series I was blinded by nostalgia. Watched up to freeza and couldn't take the old English dub anymore. It really is quite horrible. I hated freezas voice and the script. I've grown out of the original and realized how bad it is. Now that I'm watching Kai this is the show I remember falling in love with. It really makes me sad they push a worse dub of the show more than this. I'm actually laughing at some parts, it's so believable and funny at times that the original is just cringe worthy. It's crazy what an accurate portrayal of the characters can do for some of them.

I feel in the minority though because even though I grew up with the BF music it's not even a thought that I miss it. It's fine if people like it, I was joking with my heathen thing earlier, I just wish people could be more open to things sometimes.

MikeMyers

Looks like we're gonna have a DBZ style fusion soon with Ritsu and Azusa, Mike. ;D

Nice

Just got my Kai season 1 Blu ray. First of all I love the remaster job. I like the look of it. 4:3 is sexy. The new theme and opening/eye catches/ending are all great to me. I picked it up instead of the new blurays and I'm glad I did. The replacement music has been fine so far and I like the original japanese music so that wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Now the dub is fantastic and I don't feel embarrassed to watch this anymore. I can't go back to the original funi dub anymore. The lack of filler is great so far and it's pretty fun to watch now. I feel like this is my definitive way to watch the series now. Just some thoughts.

I actually don't mind the filler in Saiyan arc and early Namek since its episodic. At the worst, you could always just skip over that particular episode in the DVD Menu. But as the series went on Toei just started making a ton of cutaways and extended recaps that really hurt the pacing. For all the hate that Namek gets, I think its way better paced than the Android arc.

Branson

Nice

I actually don't mind the filler in Saiyan arc and early Namek since its episodic. At the worst, you could always just skip over that particular episode in the DVD Menu. But as the series went on Toei just started making a ton of cutaways and extended recaps that really hurt the pacing. For all the hate that Namek gets, I think its way better paced than the Android arc.

Yeah I havent watched the Android arc since the first time the series ran on Toonami. Curious to see it on Kai. I've been extremely happy with it so far though.

MikeMyers

The Android Arc is pretty fun until Cell actually finds the Androids and becomes complete; at that point the the arc loses its sense of adventures. I never really cared for the Cell Games despite it seeming to be quite popular among Western fans, it didn't even feel like a proper fight until the Kamehameha duel. Before that it was just a one-sided beat down with no real tension; almost all of Gohan's solo fights are like that and part of the reason why I don't really care for his character.

Anth0ny

The Android Arc is pretty fun until Cell actually finds the Androids and becomes complete; at that point the the arc loses its sense of adventures. I never really cared for the Cell Games despite it seeming to be quite popular among Western fans, it didn't even feel like a proper fight until the Kamehameha duel. Before that it was just a one-sided beat down with no real tension; almost all of Gohan's solo fights are like that and part of the reason why I don't really care for his character.

It didn't? Cell vs. Goku was pretty amazing and even.

While I agree SSJ2 Gohan vs. Cell wasn't great (mainly because they decided to use literally the worst possible animation team on Earth for that fight):

bEozTbx.jpg

The transformation itself is one of the best scenes in the entire series, and the brutal, disgusting beatdown on the Cell Jrs is satisfying as fuck.

XIGHxdg.png

I have more of a problem with the Boo saga. While I do enjoy the entirety of it, I just don't understand why it's there. Goku's story arc wraps up with Freeza, honestly. They could have ended it there... but then Gohan is introduced and his whole "hidden potential" stuff is introduced. That arc is concluded with SSJ2 and Cell. Goku is gone, Gohan is the future, everything is wrapped up perfectly.

then another strong guy comes and goku comes back and kills him with a genki dama. also gohan is a super hero now and doesn't care about fighting.

MikeMyers

I was referring to Gohan's battle. It was completely boring mainly because we already saw a hero beat up Cell until Cell was humiliated but the hero loses the edge due to arrogance when Vegeta pounded Second Form Cell.

Gohan didn't care about fighting in the Cell arc, not the Buu arc. He flat out tells Cell he doesn't want to fight, but he was eager to fight Dabura.

jaxword

I was referring to Gohan's battle. It was completely boring mainly because we already saw a hero beat up Cell until Cell was humiliated but the hero loses the edge due to arrogance when Vegeta pounded Second Form Cell.

Gohan didn't care about fighting in the Cell arc, not the Buu arc. He flat out tells Cell he doesn't want to fight, but he was eager to fight Dabura.

That's actually fitting his character. He hasn't seen his dad in like a decade, and it's just for one day, and it's during a fighting tournament that he's ALREADY raging about due to Videl and Spopovich.

Of course he's going to be full of teenage bravado and adrenaline.

MikeMyers

That's actually fitting his character. He hasn't seen his dad in like a decade, and it's just for one day, and it's during a fighting tournament that he's ALREADY raging about due to Videl and Spopovich.

Of course he's going to be full of teenage bravado and adrenaline.

I wasn't saying it was out of character though.

I actually would have made Spopvich and Dabura the same character, have the former transform into the latter so it adds more build-up to the fight. Also, I'd actually have Gohan beat Dabura (without Goku holding his hand) but still have Vegeta go Majin anyway.

jaxword

I wasn't saying it was out of character though.

I actually would have made Spopvich and Dabura the same character, have the former transform into the latter so it adds more build-up to the fight. Also, I'd actually have Gohan beat Dabura (without Goku holding his hand) but still have Vegeta go Majin anyway.

Agreed on the Spopovich part.

I am CERTAIN Toriyama had something different in mind with Spopo and Yamu. They were creepier than Dabura by far, with their unearthly appearances and zombie-like abilities to not die.

They could have been way better villains than a generic demon dude.

I have more of a problem with the Boo saga. While I do enjoy the entirety of it, I just don't understand why it's there. Goku's story arc wraps up with Freeza, honestly. They could have ended it there... but then Gohan is introduced and his whole "hidden potential" stuff is introduced. That arc is concluded with SSJ2 and Cell. Goku is gone, Gohan is the future, everything is wrapped up perfectly.

then another strong guy comes and goku comes back and kills him with a genki dama. also gohan is a super hero now and doesn't care about fighting.

Agreed. Post-Cell Gohan should have been more like Future Gohan. Now that's a badass.

swwrNDMl.png

MikeMyers

To be fair Future Gohan's badassness was mostly just exaggerated by Toei. Trunks is already SSJ prior to Gohan's death and it's never really shown how Gohan lost his arm. Afterwards Gohan knocks Trunks out, challenges the Androids, and dies in one page.

Anth0ny

xJmdsSU.jpg

So SSJ3 Adult Gotenks is now a thing in Dragon Ball Heroes, fresh off the heels of... Adult Gotenks being a thing in Dragon Ball Heroes.

What's next? SSJ4 Gohan? They seem to be doing a lot of GT related stuff for whatever reason.

Takao

Banned
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2014/02/02/march-2014-saikyo-jump-toriyama-q-a/

As for her appearance and such, you’ll find out if you read the bonus comic in the collected release of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman. Her name was Gine, and a long time ago, she fought on a four-person team together with Bardock.

Gine had a gentle personality and wasn’t cut out as a warrior, being repeatedly saved from danger by Bardock. At that time, a special emotion was born between them. Normally, Saiyans don’t have much of a notion of romance or marriage, and apart from the royal family of Vegeta, they aren’t particular about blood-relationships. Being in among all that, I suppose you could say that the pair of Bardock and Gine were those rare Saiyans who were joined by a bond other than for the purpose of reproduction. Incidentally, Gine, who was not cut out as a warrior, would go on to work at the meat distribution center on Planet Vegeta.

As for Vegeta, in the event that there’s talk of another animated film, then next time, I’d like him to play the main role. (Of course, this is nothing more than intentions, and I haven’t decided anything at all.)

Big One

Banned
Neat. Also I would like a Vegeta centered movie. Like if they could make like literally the life story of Vegeta into a film, showing his development as a character, which is rather lacking outside of his sacrifice in the Boo saga. Have it be both official DB material (in his perspective) but also about his past including his encounter with Bills and whatnot.

Top Bottom