• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Takao

Banned
Oh man, so Dragon Ball Heroes, the TCG/Arcade game hybrid (the one that those gorgeous pieces of animation for commercials) has just unveiled the first new named character, SSJ3 Trunks...

SKk2q.jpg

(Please don't ban me, this is a photo, not a scan, and it's like a card not a magazine)

This discovery goes to Kei17 of the Daizex community.

Oh come on, Trunks obtaining ssj3? No way…

He didn’t even get to ssj2, let alone level 3 and with the amount of strain it caused for someone like Goku…..

Takao

Banned
Shueshia has released another Dragon Ball video in support of disaster relief in Japan. This time the video chronicles Goku's Genki Dama against Majin Boo.

The art uses the Viz translation which is why you're getting Genki Dama, while at the same time getting Hercule. Shit's inconsistent.

Takao

Banned
Dragon Ball SD Chapter 2 was released.

It's okay. The major change is that
Vegeta's death is the catalyst for Goku turning Super Saiyian. Even though that completely invalidates the importance of SD Chapter 1 even existing...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
TheVampire said:
Oh come on, Trunks obtaining ssj3? No way…

He didn’t even get to ssj2, let alone level 3 and with the amount of strain it caused for someone like Goku…..

Seriously.

Takao

Banned
BIG NEWS

Naho Oshii's (Dragon Ball SD) Dragon Ball Heroes manga will begin with the what-if storyline of Bardock becoming a Super Saiyan in the confrontation leading up to the destruction of Planet Vegeta.

This will be the first of three V-Jump Dragon Ball Heroes specials.

Takao

Banned
After 5 years Daizenshuu EX's podcast has finally reached the finale in their Dragon Ball manga review of awesomeness! What will come next?!?!

Also, Dragon Ball SD Chapter 4 was announced. The magazine goes monthly soon (it was initially quarterly) so will Dragon Ball SD continue? Will we get something new? Will we get nothing? Stay tuned.

SHAZOOM

Kagari said:
I forgot that happened... and now you've made me remember it!
I'm pretty sure its because Dende was standing next to Satan, so there would still be Dragonballs.

Or something. Someone explain why Kid Buu was more dangerous than Super Buu? Was it because he lacked any kind of reasoning?

Takao

Banned
SHAZOOM said:
Or something. Someone explain why Kid Buu was more dangerous than Super Buu? Was it because he lacked any kind of reasoning?

Yeah, the reasoning was small Boo lacked any sort of boundaries or mental limits.

zero_suit

SHAZOOM said:
Someone explain why Kid Buu was more dangerous than Super Buu? Was it because he lacked any kind of reasoning?

Yup, after all, he blew up the earth for no reason whatsoever. Super Buu only attempted to do it because he was getting his ass beat by Vegito.

Takao

Banned
HammerOfThor said:
Wait I'm so lost. What is DB SD and what is this Bardoock going SS?

They're both short manga series created by an apprentice of Toriyama, Naho Oshii (she previously did the manga adaptation of the 2008 Jump Super Anime Tour special). Dragon Ball SD is an adaptation of the major conflicts in a "Super-Deformed" style. It runs in the child friendly Saikyo Jump. The second series, Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock is a three chapter mini-series discussing how Bardock went back in time in the conflict with Freiza to become a certain something. This series ran in V-JUMP, and Saikyo Jump in promotion of the Dragon Ball Heroes arcade/trading card game alongside a budget release of the 2 TV specials in Japan.

I'd think any further Dragon Box releases are unlikely. The current releases for DB and GT are generally seen as being good enough so there's not really any need for DBox versions. If anything they'll jut see Bluray releases similar to what Z's getting.

We're getting closer to the Blu-ray release! I'll finally be able to decide if I should pick up the Dragon Box sets or not. My brother has a few and whenever I head back home I like to flip through the books. I want them badly but I still have to give priority to the music I knew first.

Takao

Banned
Box of Bunnies said:
I'd think any further Dragon Box releases are unlikely. The current releases for DB and GT are generally seen as being good enough so there's not really any need for DBox versions. If anything they'll jut see Bluray releases similar to what Z's getting.

Well, with GT they can't do any frame by frame remaster. Toei gave them digibetas, lol. I think they received digibetas for DB as well.

Snaku

Banned
VGChampion said:
We're getting closer to the Blu-ray release! I'll finally be able to decide if I should pick up the Dragon Box sets or not. My brother has a few and whenever I head back home I like to flip through the books. I want them badly but I still have to give priority to the music I knew first.

That's the thing that pisses me off about Funi. Their steadfast commitment to ignore the shit out of the original Ocean dub. That's what I knew first. That's the DBZ I love most. It sucks that I have to settle for Ocean dub fan edits of the Dragon Box.

Takao said:
Well, with GT they can't do any frame by frame remaster. Toei gave them digibetas, lol. I think they received digibetas for DB as well.

They'll probably just stick with the blue and green bricks then, or maybe do upscaled Bluray releases based on those sets.

DBZ has always been the big thing amongst western fans, so it wouldn't be surprising for it to get extra attention compared to the other shows.

Takao

Banned
Box of Bunnies said:
They'll probably just stick with the blue and green bricks then, or maybe do upscaled Bluray releases based on those sets.

DBZ has always been the big thing amongst western fans, so it wouldn't be surprising for it to get extra attention compared to the other shows.

Eh, the Blue and Green bricks have washed out and sort of blurred colours. They're better than the singles because of the encoding. So I hope any GT and DB sets would be done better.

Though, am I the only one surprised Toei is letting Funimation do this? There's absolutely nothing from Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray in Japan. Japan and the US share the same Blu-Ray ID.

Dragon BluBox Z incoming lol

apana

I'd like to see the whole story recreated with modern day technology and additions to the plot, to supplement it, not fundamentally change it. Cut out a lot of the crap. Get Buu arc out of the canon and replace it with story of how Goku got to Super Saiyan 3 in the other world.

Takao said:
Funimation's Dragon Boxes have been discontinued.

Guess who doesn't have them?

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU

I started making sure I grabbed them at release when they first said it was going to be a limited run around this time last year.

Takao

Banned
I didn't have any money when the first two sets came out, so I didn't pick them up. Then I just fell behind, and never got any of them.

COME ON TOEI ANNOUNCE BLU-RAY DBOX PLOX

Takao

Banned
MikeMyers said:
I just realized, that means we wont get Dragon Box the Movies.

Funimation is going to be re-releasing their Steel Book remasters:

tmgSwm.jpg
mZkdRm.jpg
Wn5Ypm.jpg

They're okay, and the widescreen crop actually works for these, as they were films that were shown in an equivalent of 16:9. They're also devoid of the excessive DVNR that plagued the Season Sets.

Anth0ny

Takao said:
Funimation's Dragon Boxes have been discontinued.

Guess who doesn't have them?

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU

They're still on Amazon.ca

And I thought FUNi said they acquired the DBOX masters of the movies along with the Z masters. Hopefully we get a release eventually.

MikeMyers

Takao said:
Funimation is going to be re-releasing their Steel Book remasters:

They're okay, and the widescreen crop actually works for these, as they were films that were shown in an equivalent of 16:9. They're also devoid of the excessive DVNR that plagued the Season Sets.

DVNR?

Takao

Banned
Anth0ny said:
They're still on Amazon.ca

And I thought FUNi said they acquired the DBOX masters of the movies along with the Z masters. Hopefully we get a release eventually.

Hmm, I might have to get them from Amazon then.

Who knows what's up with their DBOX movie masters. Were they just an option in the contract with Toei or something?

MikeMyers said:

Digital Video Noise Reduction

The Orange Bricks employed this tactic to create a "clean" looking image. It's basically a tool that allows you to remove grain for a picture by blurring it out. The problem is, it's an entirely automated process, meaning that grain isn't always what's removed, but rather detail in the image too.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Keru_Shiri said:
I thought Vegeta was supposed to be a tactical genius? That was one aspect of his character I always wished was played on more. Loved his fight against #19.

Also, one thing that bugged me about the Room of Spirit & Time: It's commonly pointed out that Goku made bigger strides in his training because he paced himself out while Vegeta trained himself to death. But wouldn't Sayian physiology of growing back stronger after near-death mean that Vegeta's method was more appropriate?

/super-nerd :lol
Eh. Goku powered up on the way to Namek mainly by accident. He nearly killed himself gravity training a few times and only the senzu beans made his successful training en route possible.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
Crakatak187 said:
Definitely sours SSJ3 for me. Trunks is a joke, a total amateur.

Psh. Trunks is a bad mofo.

Cwarrior

Anth0ny said:
Exactly. Piccolo vs. 17 is easily the best fight of the series, choreography wise.

Watch the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai again. Every fight was fantastic, from Bacterian's dick sweat vs. Kuririn to Goku vs. Jackie Chun.
Also, Mezase Tenkaichi is the best insert song ever.
Sooooo good.

Yes one of the best fights indeed

Love dbz but I hate the buu saga.

spindashing said:
This seems to be a good place to ask since it was being discussed here. I'm looking to get into One Piece. I hit the part where Tashigi I think her name was, met Zoro for the first time and I did not touch the manga since.

Is the OP manga superior to the anime?

By the way, I'm happy Dragon Ball is getting a boost. Hopefully an eventual anime with the art style of Kai's opening will come about too...

Nope the anime is Superior...why you ask?

+amazing ost
+hell of lot more back and forth funny momments with the crew
+consistently nice animation
+Fantastic all star cast

It's quicker to read the manga but the anime is hell of lot more fun.

Suairyu

Banned
Takao said:
Trailer and behind the scenes for Funimation's Blu-Ray Remastered sets.
Oh hot damn that trailer was like an old Toonami promo. Felt nostalgic in all the right ways.

But! :
Takao said:
... fuck this. Dragonball Dragonbox was the only thing I was hoping would ever come out of Funi. I vastly prefer it to Z.

That said, if this blu ray Dragonbox release is actually the kind of respectful remaster they claim it is (and we all know what happened last time they claimed that...) I might be in for Saiyan and Freiza arcs.

edit - final filter processes "the grain and noise"... they better be using a light hand with that. The desire to strip grain from film is perhaps the most offensive of all HD transfer sins.

fake edit - They say these are the original US versions as well, which is absolutely fine and good, but does that mean the episodes aren't available 'as is' from the original Japanese edits? Even once discount censored scenes, the US version of the show was massively compressed in the editing phase, right? If I remember right, characters like Lunch were for all practical purposes nuked out of existence.

I started watching all the sagas again, for the 5th time orso, and I'm at the Buu saga right now. I don't know what it is about dragonball but I really, really love it (talking about the anime here, never read any manga).

Especially the world and the characters. I may sound like a nerd for this, but did anyone else become emotional after the last dragonball (GT) episode? I really couldn't/can't beleive it's was/is over. I'm really too emotionally attached to Dragonball to let go.

Oh well, at least I discovered this thread full of Dragonball enthousiasts :)

Takao

Banned
Just want to point out to you guys, you can get all 153 episodes of Dragon Ball on DVD from Amazon for $75.

HollovVpo1nt said:
Especially the world and the characters. I may sound like a nerd for this, but did anyone else become emotional after the last dragonball (GT) episode? I really couldn't/can't beleive it's was/is over. I'm really too emotionally attached to Dragonball to let go.

I always start to cry once the montage with Dan Dan.

Suairyu said:
But! :
... fuck this. Dragonball Dragonbox was the only thing I was hoping would ever come out of Funi. I vastly prefer it to Z.

That said, if this blu ray Dragonbox release is actually the kind of respectful remaster they claim it is (and we all know what happened last time they claimed that...) I might be in for Saiyan and Freiza arcs.

edit - final filter processes "the grain and noise"... they better be using a light hand with that. The desire to strip grain from film is perhaps the most offensive of all HD transfer sins.

fake edit - They say these are the original US versions as well, which is absolutely fine and good, but does that mean the episodes aren't available 'as is' from the original Japanese edits? Even once discount censored scenes, the US version of the show was massively compressed in the editing phase, right? If I remember right, characters like Lunch were for all practical purposes nuked out of existence.

Unfortunately, Dragon Ball is the least popular of the franchise in the west.

This is not the Dragon Boxes. The Dragon Boxes were based on the very first print of the anime, and thus haven't lost a bunch of detail from being replicated. These Blu-Ray sets are the best Funimation's masters (which are a copy of a copy of a copy, etc.) will look, as this is a very competent restoration. The attempt was to keep the grain in the film stock, which is something Funimation used in enthusiast promotion whenever they could. You don't have to worry about it all being DVNRed like the Orange Bricks.

As for "original US version" it's a lie. There isn't a trace of the edited Ocean dub from 1996-1997, which would constitute the "original US dub" to them. This isn't even the original dub Funimation did in house, as they'd constantly retouch things for the Ultimate Uncut, and Orange Brick releases. What you have here in these sets is the Ultimate Uncut dub from 2005/2006 that recovers the stuff edited in Ocean's dub, and Funimation's original uncut dub of the Freeza, Cell, and Boo arch. This dub is uncut, and features all of the footage from the Japanese version * and when originally inserted, the US dub track is there. Though none of the US broadcast openings are there due to their run times being massively shorter than Cha-La Head Cha-La.

* Note: Funimation didn't receive Next Episode Previews for DBZ with their non-Dragon Box masters, as such they are not on this set.

Back in my day I didn't even know who Pilaf was, and I watched G...

That's kinda different, though. For people who started with Z, Pilaf in GT was more or less like Gero in the Cell arc, with the difference that he actually existed and was shown in the referenced past. Skipping straight from Cell to GT leaves you with Goku being alived and training some kid, Gohan being married and with a daughter, and Goten existing at all amongst other things.

Top Bottom