• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Takao

Banned
Goten and Uub are in GT for like a grand total of 15 seconds anyways.

If Nicktoons doesn't get Z's Boo saga, I totally see Funimation crafting together another compilation TV special like The World of Dragon Ball Z, and A Grand Problem.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Nicktoons will do the whole "Dragon Ball GT: The Lost Episodes" bull Funimation did back in the day?

Takao

Banned
So it seems Dragon Ball SD will become a regular monthly series in Saikyo JUMP!

KYugQ.jpg

OH MY GOSH NAHO WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO BULMA THAT IS NOT HER IT'S HIDEOUS

Big One

Banned
I'm not sure what is the purpose of Dragonball SD. The first chapter was okay cause it at least told an original story, but now it's just unfunny adaptations of moments from the manga in chibi form. It's just lame, not funny, and pointless.

Takao

Banned
I'm not sure what is the purpose of Dragonball SD. The first chapter was okay cause it at least told an original story, but now it's just unfunny adaptations of moments from the manga in chibi form. It's just lame, not funny, and pointless.

The first chapter of SD was an unfunny adaptation of a moment from the manga too!

They missed big potential with this SD comic. If it was just one issue "gags" like training with Krillen or searching for a Dragon Ball I would be a million times more interested.

Wait, so I haven't picked up the Blu-ray set yet but the US openings aren't there? And the next time on DBZ? :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

If so, I'm never going to get that perfect US broadcast release that I've been waiting for for years. I'm almost tempted to start picking up those three episodes per DVD sets. I'd almost rather rip everything to my computer and make my own release at this point.

Edit: But this review makes it seem like the original US opening is there. So I'm pretty confused. Off to that Daizenshuu site to see what's up.

Okay, I'm back again. So I went to YouTube and I guess this is the English opening on the Blu-ray? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMocMIJyHio

I want this one!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c8FzDm4Gbo&feature=related

And this one!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM0hunsIhPU

Takao

Banned
I guess, but isn't that kinda the point? The art's supposed to be exaggerated.

Well, Goku doesn't look that out of the norm, nor do any of the other characters in SD. Bulma's just taken a pretty big hit.

They missed big potential with this SD comic. If it was just one issue "gags" like training with Krillen or searching for a Dragon Ball I would be a million times more interested.

Wait, so I haven't picked up the Blu-ray set yet but the US openings aren't there? And the next time on DBZ? :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

If so, I'm never going to get that perfect US broadcast release that I've been waiting for for years. I'm almost tempted to start picking up those three episodes per DVD sets. I'd almost rather rip everything to my computer and make my own release at this point.

Edit: But this review makes it seem like the original US opening is there. So I'm pretty confused. Off to that Daizenshuu site to see what's up.

Okay, I'm back again. So I went to YouTube and I guess this is the English opening on the Blu-ray? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMocMIJyHio

I want this one!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c8FzDm4Gbo&feature=related

And this one!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM0hunsIhPU

Look at the running times for those openings. The one on the BD (which is the one from the Ultimate Uncuts, Dragon Boxes, and Season Sets) is nearly 2 minutes. The dub TV openings are about half that. Funimation doesn't do alternate angles anymore, and thus they need the English audio to match with the Japanese opening video.

Rock the Dragon is also a song produced for the Ocean dub, which will never be heard of by Funimation ever again. Same goes for Shuki Levy's background music in that dub.

Ah thanks for the info! Browsing old clips I realized I did start with the Ocean dub because I remember Vegeta's voice changing. I still remember sitting on the bed with my brother hearing his new voice when we picked up the Trunks saga DVD's before they aired.

Takao

Banned
I think we're coming into another "It's cool to hate Dragon Ball" phase, as anime snobs ask the question as to why Funimation releases Dragon Ball so much. This answer brought to you by Captain Obvious (tm) : It sells.

So I just bought all of Dragon Ball for $63. Such a great deal. From what I've read, they aren't bad like the Orange DBZ boxes, right? I remember getting the first one of those, and it was really bad.

Takao

Banned
So I just bought all of Dragon Ball for $63. Such a great deal. From what I've read, they aren't bad like the Orange DBZ boxes, right? I remember getting the first one of those, and it was really bad.

Nah, they aren't chopped to be widescreen, nor are they DVNRed to hell.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Watching the 5th disc of the season 1 boxset now, which contains only 3 episodes. It acts as a bridge between the tournament saga and the red ribbon saga of the show (which I assume will take up the bulk, if not the entirety, of the season 2 boxset).

Lol @ the fake wedding.

GaimeGuy

Quite the scanner Sergeant Metallic had. It could tell Goku was an alien. :p

38eNZ.jpg

Takao

Banned
The second GT Review of Awesomeness podcast episode is up over at DaizEX.

Guess I'll be watching some GT tonight/tomorrow.

I watched it while they were recording, Mary believes it's all down hill from here!

I actually really like the Shadow Dragon stuff, but dat execution. :(

LogicStep

So what's the best set I can buy to have the whole original DBZ, not Kai. Same for Dragon Ball. Preferably Blu-Ray but DVD will do too.

I see that on amazon but the whole thing is not out yet, darn. (the level discs)

Yeah, they're the current release. If you want to be able to just get it all now, the Dragon Box DVDs are the best release but a few of them seem to be a bit pricey/hard to get in the rush for them following their seemingly going out of print.

LogicStep

Yeah, they're the current release. If you want to be able to just get it all now, the Dragon Box DVDs are the best release but a few of them seem to be a bit pricey/hard to get in the rush for them following their seemingly going out of print.

Ah I see. It just scares me that they won't do the whole series with the new releases. Would suck to buy them all as they come and then they just stop.

Ah I see. It just scares me that they won't do the whole series with the new releases. Would suck to buy them all as they come and then they just stop.

Yeah, I got burnt by that when they cut the Ultimate Uncut Edition. Had only picked up the first couple of volumes though, thankfully.

I don't think this release is likely to meet that fate. If anything, it's likely to supersede the "orange brick" season sets as their mainstay release of the series. You could always wait it out and see what happens though. If anything that'll be beneficial, as I can see the Level parts being bundled together the same way the Z Kai Blus and One Piece DVDs have been.

Takao

Banned
Saikyo JUMP.com posted a preview of the next issue of Dragon Ball SD:

VqeSn.jpg

9ZgAz.jpg

wD5eX.jpg

64Xd6.jpg

U4TIt.jpg

Seems she's actually taking her time and pacing this decently.

Takao

Banned
New SD Chapter Preview:

gM5ME.jpg

aXKIl.jpg

iA3mw.jpg

5HkqS.jpg

eFqq9.jpg

Also, the Special Saikyo JUMP DVD is out in Japan, it comes with Episode of Bardock, and Plan to Eradicate The Super Saiyans.

Tizoc

Which of the original Dragonball anime movies are worth watching? I know there was one with a king who ate rubys and another where Goku and co. had to find Chiaotzu's wife or some such.

My March Saikyo Jump arrived this morning. PtEtSS looks about as nice as it could, I guess (forgot how goofy the faces look in mid-length-ish group shots). Haven't watched Bardock yet.

Damn the magazine is fat, though. Huge, in fact! If American comic publishers put out a book even half this size of this thing for double the price I'd probably buy it every month. I liked Yamcha freaking out when Oolong transformed into the Saibaman in the Dragonball SD chapter.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Quite the scanner Sergeant Metallic had. It could tell Goku was an alien. :p

38eNZ.jpg

I wonder if Toriyama always had Goku being an alien in mind (maybe not exactly a Saiyan, really), or was that purely something he came up with during the gap between the original and Z? Has anything ever been clarified about this?

Would be interesting to know when he decided Dragonball would move into alien territory.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm around episode 100 of the original series (second world tournament) and it's great! Even though he probably came up with the Z stuff later on without planning any foreshadowing, I like seeing hints of Z in the show. Like when Goku looks at Uppa and his father's bonding time with curiosity/wonder. Or how Master Roshi continually notes how Goku far surpasses any human's ability. And of course, even though Dr. Gero is never shown, it's cool to know how the Red Ribbon Army is technically a recurring villain. Their appearance in Z makes it even more significant in the original.

I really want to get to the Piccolo stuff already though. Definitely one of my favorite characters in Z.

My only problem with the original so far has been the Penguin Village episodes. Those characters are way too powerful, and one of them seemingly has the ability to manipulate reality via mere thought. I understand that this was Toriyama's original work but it has no place in Dragonball in my opinion. General Blue in general (no pun intended) was dragged on for way too long.

Anth0ny

Funi is looking for more input on the Dragon Boxes http://t.co/EGfK82cx Take the survey, yo

Everyone, please vote for Dragon Ball if you haven't already. 3 years ago when they got a hold of the Dragon Box masters for DBZ, FUNimation confirmed that they also received masters for the movies. That's more or less a confirmation that they'll come out eventually. They won't just let something they paid for sit.

No one likes GT, so don't worry about that series. Vote Dragon Ball!

GaimeGuy

I'm around episode 100 of the original series (second world tournament) and it's great! Even though he probably came up with the Z stuff later on without planning any foreshadowing, I like seeing hints of Z in the show. Like when Goku looks at Uppa and his father's bonding time with curiosity/wonder. Or how Master Roshi continually notes how Goku far surpasses any human's ability. And of course, even though Dr. Gero is never shown, it's cool to know how the Red Ribbon Army is technically a recurring villain. Their appearance in Z makes it even more significant in the original.

I really want to get to the Piccolo stuff already though. Definitely one of my favorite characters in Z.

My only problem with the original so far has been the Penguin Village episodes. Those characters are way too powerful, and one of them seemingly has the ability to manipulate reality via mere thought. I understand that this was Toriyama's original work but it has no place in Dragonball in my opinion. General Blue in general (no pun intended) was dragged on for way too long.
Lol, Penguin Village eps were just a fun little crossover. I don't really take them seriously. (PS: Arale is an android, if that makes it any easier for you to accept her strength).

Are you kidding about Blue, though? General Blue was a badass (except for the mice thing). I was pissed they just offed him like that, and in such a humiliating way :(

Takao

Banned
Daizex Dragon Ball Online Timeline Episode

I wonder if Toriyama always had Goku being an alien in mind (maybe not exactly a Saiyan, really), or was that purely something he came up with during the gap between the original and Z? Has anything ever been clarified about this?

Would be interesting to know when he decided Dragonball would move into alien territory.

He made shit up as he went along. Early DB is an adaptation of Journey to the West. His intent to go to space came from the stuff he was watching, mainly Alien.

bryanee

Can anyone help me please? I'm trying to get the Kai bluray sets but I can only find the 4th set onwards. I cannot for the life of me find anywhere that imports to the UK and has the first 3 sets.

Takao

Banned
Can anyone help me please? I'm trying to get the Kai bluray sets but I can only find the 4th set onwards. I cannot for the life of me find anywhere that imports to the UK and has the first 3 sets.

Funimation discontinued sets 1-4, so yeah.

Top Bottom