• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Fantasy Book I |OT| iOS NES "JRPG" reSNESed for PSV/3

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
l0ZICpl.png

Details:
Release Dates
  • US - April 16, 2013
  • EU - TBA
Platforms - PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Vita
Format - PSN/SEN
Price - $9.99 ($7.99 for PS+)
Cross Buy - Yes
Cross Save - Yes
Shared Trophy List - Yes

Summary and Development:
Experience an all-new old adventure! Fight your way through hordes of strange, silly, and scary monsters! Explore the caves, castles, and dungeons of an ancient evil! Meet warriors, princes, pirates, zombies, and crazy old woodsmen in a huge world of epic retro adventure!

Dragon Fantasy is a project that Adam Rippon and Bryan Sawler began in 1995 when they were both 14 years old. It got pushed to the side whilst they focused on their careers in the game industry. However, after his father passed away in late 2010, Adam resurrected the project as a tribute. Adam cut 90% of the story of the game so he could focus solely on the story of his father’s character, Ogden. Initially released on August 23rd, 2011, Dragon Fantasy has been very well received by its audience, who have consistently rated it 4.5 stars on the iOS and Mac App Stores.

New Features:
  • New 16-Bit Mode & Rain-Proofing
    Tired of the NES era? Upgrade now to the SNES era at no additional charge! Players can move seamlessly between the 8-bit and 16-bit version of the game with a quick menu choice. Ogden’s bald head has never looked so delightfully pixellated. With the graphical upgrade comes more colors, more layers for map effects and depth, and parallax backgrounds (which we’re told makes the tech nerds super happy). Buildings in Chapters 1 & 2 now have hastily constructed roofs which will peel away as the player enters these domiciles. No more will the citizens of Westeria dread rain.
  • Remastered Music & Interface
    What’s a new graphics mode without the musical improvements that went with the dawn of a new era? Players who romp through Ogden’s story in the new 16-bit mode will be rewarded with improved sound effects and remastered music. Not to be left behind, the status screens have also been optimized and will be more responsive in all game modes.
  • New Content
    You asked, and we answered. Anders’ chapter now includes a new tower of trials dungeon, giving a chance to ramp up his recruitable allies: Punchibald “Punchy” Hammerstone, Casterella “Casty” Von Magicpants, and perhaps even the mysterious Serpent Diablo, before taking the plunge into the ice cavern. Of course, no PlayStation game would be complete without trophies, so achievement hunters can track down all the secrets of the game starting April 16th

Pictures (8-bit - left, 16-bit - right):

Videos:
iOS Trailer
PSN Trailer

Reviews (iOS version):
RPGamer - 4.0/5.0
RPGFan - 75% (complaints were the on controls)
Touch Arcade - 3.5/5

Credits:
PSNation for the banner and details
PlayStation Blog for the pictures

Macstorm

Cross saving will be available in this just like it was in Guacamelee.

And on reviews, it's RPGamer not RPG Gamer. :)

Definitely buying this! Have a feeling other indie devs are looking at the success of this game and Book 2 to gauge interest of PSN JRPG types, especially for the Vita. Hope they are not disappointed.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Cross saving will be available in this just like it was in Guacamelee.

And on reviews, it's RPGamer not RPG Gamer. :)

Fixed. :)

Since you played the game. How long is it per chapter and overall?

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
i believe there are trophies (no plat)

and the sequel is coming out this summer. and the threequel is n64 graphics! woot. itll be the first real n64 jrpg in my eyes.

Macstorm

Fixed. :)

Since you played the game. How long is it per chapter and overall?

Each chapter varies in length and the iOS version didn't have a play timer, so it's hard to say.

Chapter 1 - The longest, maybe 5 hours.
Chapter 2 - The most straightforward and around half to 3/4 the size of chapter 1.
Chapter 3 - More varied in combat and things you need to do, a little longer than chapter 2.
Intermission M - A side game not directly tied to the overall adventure, but still interesting. Only a couple hours on it. Still really fun as an "epilogue."

Shinriji

Gonna buy on principle (bring more RPG for the Vita). I am farly open minded for averages RPG as well, so I won't complain if this game is bad.

ReaperXL7

Going to pick this up when it hits, the extra mode/content for this release , the price, and wanting to support Sonys indie push make it a pretty easy buy, though I have always been a fan of this style of RPG so the visuals are not a turn off for me.

Really interested to check it out.

Considering the changes that were supposedly made to the game is it appropriate to use the IOS reviews where the issues might not remain? I realize the core of the game probably has not changed much.

Mrbob

I've been patiently waiting for this release. Wanted to play with real controls. Grabbing it later today. Hopefully it does well enough Book 2 and then Book 3 will come to PS3/Vita.

ReaperXL7

I've been patiently waiting for this release. Wanted to play with real controls. Grabbing it later today. Hopefully it does well enough Book 2 and then Book 3 will come to PS3/Vita.

Well book 2 is already coming this summer, and they said anything they make in the future would probably be coming to PS3,Vita, and possibly PS4. So there should not be anything to worry about on that end.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I *want* to be excited for this. I love the concept, but... good lord that art.

Already have the funds in my PSN wallet. Just waiting on the PSN update. Hyped to experience this on my Vita.

Now if only other indie RPG studios *coughzeboydgamescough* would hook up with SCEA for Vita excellence...

RPGCrazied

Already have the funds in my PSN wallet. Just waiting on the PSN update. Hyped to experience this on my Vita.

Now if only other indie RPG studios *coughzeboydgamescough* would hook up with SCEA for Vita excellence...

I have $25, was thinking on this and guacolmelee or however you spell it. Its the art that is killing me though, I know its suppose to be retro and all that.

Isn't there 4 chapters? How long is that one?

Akira_83

Banned
went in expecting a FF style game

saw 1st person view and the combat system...

no thanks

too bad, could use a nice classic style JRPG but this is not it

RPGCrazied

no thanks

Thankfully that is changed in book 2, dunno how book 3 looks. Yeah, I don't like first person either.

inner-G

Banned
Awesome, will check it out, prob ps3/v version.

My nerd dream is to make my own game like this.

no thanks

Dragon Quest is THE classic JRPG and it has first person battles.

I have $25, was thinking on this and guacolmelee or however you spell it. Its the art that is killing me though, I know its suppose to be retro and all that.

From comments from Macstorm (RPGamer editor who played the mobile version), it sounded like the mobile game was about 10-15 hours long (with chapter 1 being the longest). Muteki did say that they were expanding chapter 2 a bit in the Vita version though.

If you have PS+, it's only $8. Great deal for what seems to 10 to 15 hours of old school RPG content based on this response:

Each chapter varies in length and the iOS version didn't have a play timer, so it's hard to say.

Chapter 1 - The longest, maybe 5 hours.
Chapter 2 - The most straightforward and around half to 3/4 the size of chapter 1.
Chapter 3 - More varied in combat and things you need to do, a little longer than chapter 2.
Intermission M - A side game not directly tied to the overall adventure, but still interesting. Only a couple hours on it. Still really fun as an "epilogue."

And if you're getting Guacmelee, the PS+ discount expires as soon as today's PSN updated is available.

We're strongly considering a Vita version for our next RPG.

You guys should really consider porting BoDVII & Cthulu to Vita. ;)

RPGCrazied

If you have PS+, it's only $8. Great deal for what seems to 10 to 15 hours of old school RPG content based on this response:

And if you're getting Guacmelee, the PS+ discount expires as soon as today's PSN updated is available.

You guys should really consider porting BoDVII & Cthulu to Vita. ;)

I don't, but I think I'm going to get Guacmelee and Dragon Book. I would really like to support them, cause I really love the look of book II, more than I do the first one. I was going to get a costume for graces f, but I really don't need it I guess.

I will look for a demo though, but lately psn games aren't getting demo's. Dunno why.

teiresias

no thanks

Haha, wtf?? Dragon Quest styled first person battles are not "classic style JRPG"? What alternate universe do you live in?

daveo42

Banned
Haha, wtf?? Dragon Quest styled first person battles are not "classic style JRPG"? What alternate universe do you live in?

Probably wants something closer to FF styled battles.

As for me, I'm 100% in. Another game I can tote around with me on my Vita.

Yep the combat made me immediately recall the original Dragon Warrior (as it was called in the US) that I got for free as a child with a subscription to Nintendo Power. Good stuff.

daevv

Yep the combat made me immediately recall the original Dragon Warrior (as it was called in the US) that I got for free as a child with a subscription to Nintendo Power. Good stuff.

Everyone in my neighborhood got 2 copies of Dragon Warrior that year. I sold mine to a corner store that rented NES games for $30. Paid for my subscription. :)

It's gonna be hard not to buy this one tonight. So many games!!

Macstorm

Awesome, will check it out, prob ps3/v version.

My nerd dream is to make my own game like this.

Dragon Quest is THE classic JRPG and it has first person battles.

Yes, and this game IS like Dragon Quest. So Dragon Quest fans should check it out.

ss_lemonade

Ooh, I remember creating an rpg maker game called dragon fantasy lol.

Looks interesting, always loved the classic rpg look

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Since I finished Guacamelee, and am savoring Persona 4, I'll pick this one up. I love charming, old school NES style JRPGs.

Top Bottom